2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is weird that my pre-II deferral shows up on the amcas choose a medical school tool.
I thought that was weird as well. I got pre-II holds from a few schools but those aren't listed. For a second I was like oh good they think I interviewed here, maybe they'll accidentally send me an A as well :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly not sure. I got deferred and would love to hear back soon. However it seems like students are still interviewing. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of applicants who have been deferred since the fall.
I interviewed 9/15 (first batch of interviews). Was deferred the following month. I attended a virtual open house and sent an enthusiastic update following a few rounds of deferrals. I have not heard anything from admissions since my interview. Very demoralizing as someone who did not receive many other interviews.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does Geisinger have dedicated study time for Step in the curriculum? Ive seen some schools having up to 6 weeks dedicated STEP study built in
yes, the new curriculum has you end phase 1 in december and has dedicated step time from january- april when you start phase 2. step 1 needs to be taken by the end of march of your second year. Source: I am a current M1

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 9/15 (first batch of interviews). Was deferred the following month. I attended a virtual open house and sent an enthusiastic update following a few rounds of deferrals. I have not heard anything from admissions since my interview. Very demoralizing as someone who did not receive many other interviews.
I definitely feel you. I've pretty much crossed this school off my list since I don't anticipate hearing back until it's way too late for me to even consider moving across country.

Does anyone know why Geisinger is requiring a separate certiphi background check in addition to the AAMC Certiphi background check? Seems redundant. Also, I’m lazy and don’t want to enter 20 years of addresses again.

Withdrew my A here today…good luck friendssssss u all deserve to go to med school and u will all be amazing doctors aight???!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know why Geisinger is requiring a separate certiphi background check in addition to the AAMC Certiphi background check? Seems redundant. Also, I’m lazy and don’t want to enter 20 years of addresses again.
Yes, does anyone know if we have to do this twice? It's the exact same questions/form. It's $55 lol

• Hmm
Yes, does anyone know if we have to do this twice? It's the exact same questions/form. It's $55 lol
I would email them to double check if you haven't already. I can't find it now unfortunately, but while neurotically trolling another school's thread from last year for something else, I saw a comment that the school sent everyone they admitted a Certiphi link and a lot of people did it twice, but it turned out it was only meant for people who had not done it yet.

However, in that case, I didn't see any mention of it being $55. It's weird they would send you a non-free one for MD admisisons. Did you apply to a dual degree (MPH/PHD/etc?).

I would email them to double check if you haven't already. I can't find it now unfortunately, but while neurotically trolling another school's thread from last year for something else, I saw a comment that the school sent everyone they admitted a Certiphi link and a lot of people did it twice, but it turned out it was only meant for people who had not done it yet.

However, in that case, I didn't see any mention of it being $55. It's weird they would send you a non-free one for MD admisisons. Did you apply to a dual degree (MPH/PHD/etc?).
No, regular MD. I thought it was weird that I had to pay too. I did it anyways, just to get it over with. Hopefully, I didn't waste my money for no reason haha.

How does being deferred work? Is it basically a soft R? I'm starting to lose hope now. :(

How does being deferred work? Is it basically a soft R? I'm starting to lose hope now. :(
Definitely not a soft R. I was accepted after being deferred. However, it is essentially an indefinitely long waiting period now - I understand how stressful and disappointing that can be. Maybe try sending an update letter?

Definitely not a soft R. I was accepted after being deferred. However, it is essentially an indefinitely long waiting period now - I understand how stressful and disappointing that can be. Maybe try sending an update letter?
Thanks for sharing! Was yours a pre-II or post-II deferral?

I received a pre-II deferral ~3 months ago and haven't heard anything since. Doesn't seem like anyone's gotten an II in a while though so I assumed they were just about done.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone guess when the next round of decisions will go out? I had my II on 2/14 and was trying to figure out if I will find out this month or not until next months decisions

Can anyone guess when the next round of decisions will go out? I had my II on 2/14 and was trying to figure out if I will find out this month or not until next months decisions
I had my interview on the 15th (back in November) and heard back in December. I assume you'll hear back with the March committee meeting 🙂

Does anyone know what the dress code is for accepted students' day?

So does Geisinger indicate anywhere if they do scholarship / merit / financial aid packages? Haven't received any info about it and the portal just says to 'email them'?? Not that I'm particularly expecting anything, but it would nice to know if I should expect some kind of info on this at some point. (even if it's just an offer of loans)

I just checked my choose your med school tool and it says that I'm on the alternate list for Geisinger, but I never interviewed here. I got an email on 01/03 that said they will defer an interview decision. Thats also the same date that I got added to the alternate list on the choose your med school tool. Has anyone else noticed this?

I just checked my choose your med school tool and it says that I'm on the alternate list for Geisinger, but I never interviewed here. I got an email on 01/03 that said they will defer an interview decision. Thats also the same date that I got added to the alternate list on the choose your med school tool. Has anyone else noticed this?
yes, it is weird.

Got the A today after interviewing on 1/19. MCAT 511, GP 3.56, 4 years clinical work

• Love
If I've been deferred since 10/18 does that mean I'm going to be rejected at this point? I'm not sure what it means.

Got financial aid package today.... EFC of 0 and 0 need-based aid. Is aid only given out through merit scholarships?

Decided to withdraw my A today, good luck to the deferred/people still being interviewed! You got this!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Decided to withdraw my A today, good luck to the deferred/people still being interviewed! You got this!
I withdrew today too. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Is there a FB page or group chat or something for accepted students?

I was told a follow up email would be sent with information about the abigail geisinger scholarship interview, but i haven't received one yet. how long does this usually take?

Do you know how many weeks after our interview we will hear back usually?

Do you know how many weeks after our interview we will hear back usually?
During my interview, it was mentioned that we would hear back within 4-6 weeks. But on the portal, it says 6-8.

Pre-II R this morning, LM 69, OOS

Was on pre-II hold for a few months, didn't send any updates

Has anyone been accepted after being deferred? Asking for a friend. That friend is me, I am the friend.

Reactions: 4 users
It seems that some people last year were waitlisted from the deferred list the first week of April and from that list some were accepted later in May. There is hope.

Does anyone know what the schedule is for accepted students day? I don’t think I will be able to make it but am wondering what all will be covered.

Did anyone else get a Geisinger Newsletter in your mail addressing you as "future Geisinger Commonwealth Student" even though you are not accepted? It's probably just a marketing technique, but that salutation seems off.
Yes I received it too. On defer list and this letter makes me feel weird.