2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ALSO JUST ACCEPTED OMG THIS IS MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AFTER 2 CYCLESSS!!!! (interviewed early March!)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do only the people who interviewed after March 1 get off the waitlist?
No. They select people from the waitlist based on the rating (1-5) that they give each applicant after the interview. That includes everyone who was offered a spot on the waitlist regardless of when they interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
Do only the people who interviewed after March 1 get off the waitlist?
Well, if you think about it they probably put everyone after March 1 on the waitlist, but they probably had the highest scores so they’re the first to come off

Reactions: 1 users
does interviewing earlier in the season then getting waitlisted indicate possible waitlist rank? like interviewing earlier means more of a chance of being lower on the waitlist since you were passed on most acceptance days?

sorry if this is a silly question! i know waitlist rank is based on an unchanged score.

does interviewing earlier in the season then getting waitlisted indicate possible waitlist rank? like interviewing earlier means more of a chance of being lower on the waitlist since you were passed on most acceptance days?

sorry if this is a silly question! i know waitlist rank is based on an unchanged score.
Not a silly question at all, I've been curious about this! Because VCU weighs interview performance so heavily in your final score I doubt the pre-II score component has much weight in the WL rank but then again, the difference between missing the cut and being one of the final acceptances off the WL might be tenths or hundredths of a point so who knows!

This would be a great question for the adcom member that usually chimes in on this thread but since they haven't been active this year I don't want to call them out.

Reactions: 4 users
Not a silly question at all, I've been curious about this! Because VCU weighs interview performance so heavily in your final score I doubt the pre-II score component has much weight in the WL rank but then again, the difference between missing the cut and being one of the final acceptances off the WL might be tenths or hundredths of a point so who knows!

This would be a great question for the adcom member that usually chimes in on this thread but since they haven't been active this year I don't want to call them out.
No I think it was that stated the application as a whole is taken in consideration for the final committee score. Pre-ii interview application remains a decisive component in your score.

No I think it was that stated the application as a whole is taken in consideration for the final committee score. Pre-ii interview application remains a decisive component in your score.
Ah, I sure hope so. Second before my MMI session one of the adcoms said, "the interview holds more weight than you can possibly imagine" so that's where I was coming from (great way to tame the nerves!).

has anyone heard about financial aid
It was mentioned a bit earlier that last year's thread reported financial aid info would not be released until after the commitment deadline. Unfortunate since that's such a big part of the deciding between schools.

It was mentioned a bit earlier that last year's thread reported financial aid info would not be released until after the commitment deadline. Unfortunate since that's such a big part of the deciding between schools.
terrible

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey this might be a dumb question but do we get an official acceptance letter/where can we access it? I need it to apply for loans in Canada lol but all I have is my portal update which doesn’t look official

Terrible but not an uncommon practice. Also again, VCU is a public state school. They frankly have the luxury of not really giving a ****. They will always have more, and they aren't geared for prestige like a private school is.

Getting an early interview means that you were an applicant that was prioritized for whatever reason. That in itself is a good sign. But again important to remember that the final score is the average of 1-5 from like 30+ executive committee members.

Each member votes anonymously and may have their own opinion on things. That final score is 30+ giving you a score based on what they have seen in your entire application.

Nice meeting you guys yesterday! WOW, really impressed with this school. Was not my top choice but I've kinda changed my mind now. Only problem is the OOS tuition :/, not sure if I could afford to attend tbh.
What happened yesterday? Did I miss something?

Does anyone know for OOS students whether or not you can get in state tuition once you become a resident of Virginia?

Does anyone know for OOS students whether or not you can get in state tuition once you become a resident of Virginia?
Virginia is one of the strictest states when it comes to residency. Unless you moved to Virginia for a reason aside from school, there is almost no chance. You can always try and see, but the chances will be very slim.

Have you all set up your eID already? I just found out loan offers were distributed onto these accounts. I feel like I've been missing out on some sort of communication from the admissions office because this was the first I'm hearing of this eID. Have you all been receiving communications since receiving your acceptance?

Have you all set up your eID already? I just found out loan offers were distributed onto these accounts. I feel like I've been missing out on some sort of communication from the admissions office because this was the first I'm hearing of this eID. Have you all been receiving communications since receiving your acceptance?
I have not, and also haven’t received communication for setting this up. I haven’t heard anything new since being accepted really.

To accepted people: the orientation website is updated, so they have updated the dates and deadlines to complete some things before orientation. I saw there's now a place to retrieve our eID, email and order our white coat.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea!!! I just got the tabs :D!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Is there anyway to get in state tuition after a year? As an OSS the COA of 96k per year is pretty crazy to comprehend and hard to justify going here compared to cheaper schools...

Same here. I'm OOS and my award letter is just loans. I'm not sure if the aid is final or not, but I'm definitely withdrawing.
Is there anyway to get in state tuition after a year? As an OSS the COA of 96k per year is pretty crazy to comprehend and hard to justify going here compared to cheaper schools...

Looks like the waitlist is moving a lot sooner this year than in years past- hopefully this is a good omen for greater WL movement this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got off the waitlist. :eek: IS/ORM/515/3.99. Interviewed in early Feb. I only sent an update letter after my interview but not after being waitlisted... just got the email that my portal changed and was VERY surprised.

Reactions: 7 users
It is very difficult to switch to in-state tuition unless you can prove that you aren't just here for school.

It is very difficult to switch to in-state tuition unless you can prove that you aren't just here for school.
Yup, it’s very difficult to establish residency in VA for tuition purposes. IIRC, you have to : 1) live in VA for one year prior to matriculation; 2) have your car registered in VA; 3) pay VA state taxes. If you’re seriously committed to this you could try to defer a year and work/live in VA during your deferral year

Yup, it’s very difficult to establish residency in VA for tuition purposes. IIRC, you have to : 1) live in VA for one year prior to matriculation; 2) have your car registered in VA; 3) pay VA state taxes. If you’re seriously committed to this you could try to defer a year and work/live in VA during your deferral year
even then its not even close to guaranteed.

even then its not even close to guaranteed.
I definitely agree. However, each case is different so if you think you meet the criteria or you think you can convince them, I would say to definitely try.
Even if the chances are very very slim, if it happens to work out for you, you will save a lot of money in loans.

Some good news. I spoke to the SOM's financial aid office and they said that they anticipate meeting to discuss scholarship offers before the commitment deadline and hopefully to get these offers out before then. They did not give any guarantees though.

Some good news. I spoke to the SOM's financial aid office and they said that they anticipate meeting to discuss scholarship offers before the commitment deadline and hopefully to get these offers out before then. They did not give any guarantees though.
What's the commitment deadline? the Apri 30 PTE deadline?

I definitely agree. However, each case is different so if you think you meet the criteria or you think you can convince them, I would say to definitely try.
Even if the chances are very very slim, if it happens to work out for you, you will save a lot of money in loans.
Totally, I just meant like DONT bank on it. If you can manage if it doesn’t work out be prepared for that.

Does anybody know if we can send letters of interest if we’re on the waitlist??