2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys expecting a smaller WL movement because of covid19 this year? Seems like there was more applicants this cycle in general!
I think it's gonna very much be school dependent but I'd anticipate more WL movement this cycle. Although more applicants, some schools haven't increased the # of interview spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this has been asked in the thread already, but I know the VCU website says they do not accept application updates. Do you think the same rule applies for letters of interest for those waitlisted? I want to send in a letter but don't want to do so if they don't want additional application info.

Why are they asking if you have been accepted anywhere else when joining the alternate list? Does that affect their decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been asked in the thread already, but I know the VCU website says they do not accept application updates. Do you think the same rule applies for letters of interest for those waitlisted? I want to send in a letter but don't want to do so if they don't want additional application info.
They do accept letters of interest. As I mentioned a few days ago, if you send a letter of interest, they will put a checkmark by your name. This basically tells them that you are still interested and would come to VCU if interested.
I do recommend sending one because it might give you a tiny advantage over those who don't. (Even if it doesn't, it won't do any harm)

Reactions: 1 user
Why are they asking if you have been accepted anywhere else when joining the alternate list? Does that affect their decision?
No, I believe they said in a previous year that it doesn't affect their decision. The data is likely just collected for their statistics.

Has anyone who has interviewed not gotten an A or WL? Not sure if they plan to add more after people two weeks from now, but it doesn’t seem like anybody is in-between rn

They do accept letters of interest. As I mentioned a few days ago, if you send a letter of interest, they will put a checkmark by your name. This basically tells them that you are still interested and would come to VCU if interested.
I do recommend sending one because it might give you a tiny advantage over those who don't. (Even if it doesn't, it won't do any harm)
They advised that if you have any significant updates (ie large amount of volunteer hours, research being published) that they accept updates from those interviewed. I imagine since they are expected to be significant updates that, depending on the actual update, it may impact your standing.

I can’t imagine they’d accept updates from interviewees unless they actually planned on using it. If it’s just for a check mark, seems silly to allow interviewees to send in updates.

But who knows..

Omg VCU out here giving me a heart attack with another status update email... it was just to say they got my alternate list response lol

Reactions: 5 users
Omg VCU out here giving me a heart attack with another status update email... it was just to say they got my alternate list response lol
I am currently on a plane and can’t log into the portal on my phone, have been freaking out for the last 7 minutes 😂

• Haha
I am currently on a plane and can’t log into the portal on my phone, have been freaking out for the last 7 minutes 😂
Mood; for future reference I've found that the portal works on your phone if (on Chrome, at least) you select "Desktop site" from the kebab menu in the top right! For your instant portal checking needs

Reactions: 6 users
I got the update for being placed on the waitlist, it says we need to respond positively to be on the waitlist. Does that mean we have to send them a positive email on top of answering the alternate list form, or just the alternate list form needs to be completed?

I got the update for being placed on the waitlist, it says we need to respond positively to be on the waitlist. Does that mean we have to send them a positive email on top of answering the alternate list form, or just the alternate list form needs to be completed?
I’m pretty sure just the alternate form has to be completed! Then the next day your portal will update again to tell you they’ve received your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
click yes = positive

Are you guys expecting a smaller WL movement because of covid19 this year? Seems like there was more applicants this cycle in general!
Data from AAMC/AMCAS---

2020-2021 # of applicants: 53,030 total applications: 906,588 av per applicant# 22
2019-2020 # of applicants: 53,371 total applications: 896,819 av per applicant# 17
2018-2019 # of applicants: 52,777 total applications: 849,678 av per applicant# 16

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there were fewer applicants this cycle but more applications. I asked AAMC/AMCAS for the data---

2020-2021 # of applicants: 53,030 total applications: 906,588 av per applicant# 22
2019-2020 # of applicants: 53,371 total applications: 896,819 av per applicant# 17
2018-2019 # of applicants: 52,777 total applications: 849,678 av per applicant# 16
This can't be correct, unless the earlier statements that applications and/or # of applicants rose by approximately 17% this cycle is completely incorrect

This can't be correct, unless the earlier statements that applications and/or # of applicants rose by approximately 17% this cycle is completely incorrect
It makes way more sense than the fAucI eFfECt. People don't just up and decide in a year that they are going to into medicine. It takes years to prepare to apply. It makes sense that fewer applicants applied because some missed out on key application requirements because of COVID. However, people had more time at home to fill out more secondaries and also knew that interviews were virtual (less travel costs). Net results = more applications to more schools even with fewer people applying.

Withdraw tab disappeared (Pre-II R). Complete (9/12).

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
External Data Request <[email protected]>
Wed 3/3/2021 9:32 AM

Hi xxxxxx,

Thank you for your interest in AAMC data.

AAMC FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data may be of interest, specifically Table A-1: U.S. Medical School Applications and Matriculants by School, State of Legal Residence, and Sex, 2020-2021: 2020 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data

Attached please see the historical A-1 tables in this email.

Kind regards,
Hailey

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 3/1/2021 5:53 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: # of application for MD program?

Can you please tell me how many M.D. applications you received for the last three cycles?

Thank you.

ref:_00DU0IXuy._5004O15GWHz:ref

Attachments

• 2018_FACTS_Table_A-1.xlsx
    223.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 2019_FACTS_Table_A-1-1.xlsx
    223.8 KB · Views: 65

Hi xxxxxx,

AAMC FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data may be of interest, specifically Table A-1: U.S. Medical School Applications and Matriculants by School, State of Legal Residence, and Sex, 2020-2021: 2020 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data

Kind regards,
Hailey

Can you please tell me how many M.D. applications you received for the last three cycles?

Thank you.

Fam...is it so hard to read the bottom of a table: "Note: Each academic year includes applicants and matriculants that applied to enter medical school in the fall of the given year. For example, academic year 2020-2021 represents the applicants and matriculants that applied to enter medical school during the 2020 application cycle."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
For those on WL, how do you send in update letters? I really hate how each new update in the portal overwrites the previous message.

Hi xxxxxx,

Kind regards,
Hailey

Thank you.

this data isn't for this cycle lol

My pre-II rejection message said, "The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school." Did anyone else get this? I am curious if this was just a generic template for every pre-II R or if the content bears any significance.

What mine says as well. I’d assume this is what it says for everyone

Am I missing something? The link says 2020-2021......
I was confused too lol. So it says was published 10/26/2020, and I don't see how they could have the matriculant data considering the cycle is still ongoing, and the note on the bottom is kind of confusing but I think it says its last years cycle.

For those on WL, how do you send in update letters? I really hate how each new update in the portal overwrites the previous message.
If I remember correctly, the prior message said "inquiries and updates can be sent to [email protected]"
Is anyone else able to verify this?

Reactions: 2 users
Did they say what format (email text, word, pdf, etc.)? Thanks all for indulging my poor documentation lol

pre ii R....but im happy i have some fine qualities, that made my night better.

• Care
Did they say what format (email text, word, pdf, etc.)? Thanks all for indulging my poor documentation lol
I thought I had remembered Dr. Baker saying not to send updates via PDF during my interview, but when I sent an email to the address in our portal, I was asked to re-send it as a PDF so I could be uploaded to my file

Also Pre-II R, also have fine qualities lol

• Haha
Is there a second look event (either virtual or in person) for admitted students? There hasn't been any communication since submitting my matriculation forms in October and feel kinda lost

@Talldoctor96 you know everything there is to know about VCU so any help would be appreciated haha

Is there a second look event (either virtual or in person) for admitted students? There hasn't been any communication since submitting my matriculation forms in October and feel kinda lost

@Talldoctor96 you know everything there is to know about VCU so any help would be appreciated haha
So in the past, when I was applying 2019 2020 cycle Vcu didn’t have a second look except for select URM students. Not sure if they have any intention on expanding that in a virtual manner.
But precovid they didn’t even have one.
It’s as simple as this. VCU is a public state school, not private. They know there are thousands of VA applicants that would die to come there.

So in the past, when I was applying 2019 2020 cycle Vcu didn’t have a second look except for select URM students. Not sure if they have any intention on expanding that in a virtual manner.
It’s as simple as this. VCU is a public state school, not private. They know there are thousands of VA applicants that would die to come there.
im oos and i'd walk through a mile of glass in my bare feet just to get an interview

I think this data is for the entering class of that year, not those who applied that year. For example, there were 53,030 matriculants in Fall 2020: Medical School Admissions Statistics and Acceptance Rates (2020-2021) | MedEdits.

Yea... also 22x 53000 is like 1.1 million total apps

I wanted clarification on the number of applications and applicants THIS cycle.

If anyone is interested, this was the reply---

Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 2:30 PM
To:
Subject:
Re: # of application for MD program?

Thank you for your email.

The requested data is not available yet and expected to be updated sometime in December 2021.

Kind regards,
Hailey

Sent: 3/23/2021 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: # of application for MD program?

How many applications did AMCAs receive for the current application season (to matriculate in 2021) and from how many applicants?

Thank you.

Ahh that's unfortunate. I'm from CA so I'll make a visit to Richmond to see the city before deciding. Seems like an amazing place to live.

PS: I recently started watching Scrubs and could never appreciate your profile picture until now haha

Ahh that's unfortunate. I'm from CA so I'll make a visit to Richmond to see the city before deciding. Seems like an amazing place to live.

PS: I recently started watching Scrubs and could never appreciate your profile picture until now haha
Honestly.... visiting Richmond is probably enough. The school is in a 10 story building adjacent to a beautiful and sexy hospital (lol) and you can get just about as much as you would from second look just walking around.

Richmond is a very cool place. I will say, it will be VERY different than California but in a good way. Its a liberal bubble in a very conservative county. Lots of young people, good food etc. Theres a train station and an airport (albeit the ai\rpot is small) and youre a 1.5 -2 hour drive to DC which is super fun.

If youre gonna visit I would fly into DC and take the train or rent a car and drive down to Richmond stay for a couple nights.

I’m not accepted here, but from VA. Be careful about what parts of Richmond you go to. It’s a beautiful city, VCU is an amazing school with a new hospital that’s squeaky clean. Short Pump is a good area to piddle around in. I would definitely reach out to some IS locals though. @TallDoc seems to be a local, or close to Richmond like Arlington. I’m sure he can advise you on that

Just accepted of the waitlist, was not expecting this at all today! Interviewed 3/9

Reactions: 23 users