2021-2022 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anecdotal reports on SDN are consistent with "knowing" that. :)

My guess would be that, since their IS yield is so high, especially when compared to OOS, that they kind of take IS applicants for granted, and that's probably a reasonable position for them to take. As a result, they probably want to get OOS applicants they are interested in excited by showing them some early love.

It's just a guess, but it kind of makes sense when you think about it. IS candidates are not going to lose interest if they receive later IIs, but OOS candidates very well might, especially if they start receiving As from other schools before even hearing from UVA.
I see.

I find it a bit absurd that we are speculating on a reason(s) for a particular observation from a very biased and only a subset of data. The whole conversation becomes useless if IS students have been receiving II but has not been reported. Just my thought :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I see.

I find it a bit absurd that we are speculating on a reason(s) for a particular observation from a very biased and only a subset of data. The whole conversation becomes useless if IS students have been receiving II but has not been reported. Just my thought :)
You're absolutely correct!

SDN is a small subset, but it IS somewhat representative of what is going on. I have no doubt IS have been receiving IIs all along, but the reports on SDN have been disproportionately in favor of OOS, so there is probably something to it.

It is also worth noting that they receive 5X as many OOS applications as IS, so that undoubtedly contributes to the perception, and, in fact, might entirely account for the observation!

I also agree that "why" doesn't really matter, because it is what it is, whatever that happens to be. I was just trying to provide a plausible explanation. No doubt IS applicants waiting to hear are frustrated. The simple fact is that, based on the last reported data in MSAR, only 17% of IS applicants are going to receive IIs (as compared to 12% OOS). Also, there are going to be more than 3X as many OOS IIs as IS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You're absolutely correct!

SDN is a small subset, but it IS somewhat representative of what is going on. I have no doubt IS have been receiving IIs all along, but the reports on SDN have been disproportionately in favor of OOS, so there is probably something to it.

It is also worth noting that they receive 5X as many OOS applications as IS, so that undoubtedly contributes to the perception, and, in fact, might entirely account for the observation!

I also agree that "why" doesn't really matter, because it is what it is, whatever that happens to be. I was just trying to provide a plausible explanation. No doubt IS applicants waiting to hear are frustrated. The simple fact is that, based on the last reported data in MSAR, only 17% of IS applicants are going to receive IIs (as compared to 12% OOS). Also, there are going to be more than 3X as many OOS IIS as IS.
I re-read my post. I do not mean to sound offensive at all and my comments are not directed to you. I meant just in general.

And I do agree with your points as well!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I re-read my post. I do not mean to sound offensive at all and my comments are not directed to you. I meant just in general.

And I do agree with your points as well!!!
No offense taken at all. Your points were totally legit.

I got the A, wish you guys all the best

Congrats! A quick question if you don't mind. What was the thinking behind your applying to 40 MD programs given your high LizzyM score and the amount of work it must have taken to complete 40 secondaries?

Congrats! A quick question if you don't mind. What was the thinking behind your applying to 40 MD programs given your high LizzyM score and the amount of work it must have taken to complete 40 secondaries?
Haha, I applied to 40+ as well, also with high stats and a great app. Personally, my goal wasn't just to get an acceptance, but to get into the best school possible and with the most financial aid possible. A lot of schools match aid, so my goal is to get As at schools I know I probably won't attend, but get some scholarships and use those to increase my financial aid at schools I will attend.

From the UVA admissions website:
<<We consider shadowing activities with a physician to be very important, but also recognize the various other ways that students can be exposed to healthcare experiences, including, but not limited to a scribe program, as an EMT, pharmacy tech, or phlebotomist. Personal or family experience with healthcare is also considered.>>

UVA seems to be placing a much higher value on shadowing than I would have guessed, along with paid clinical positions, while giving short shrift to clinical volunteering experiences that don't involve direct medical treatment of patients.

Can anyone who's been interviewed or accepted speak to whether that's how UVA looks at or rates clinical experiences?

Haha, I applied to 40+ as well, also with high stats and a great app. Personally, my goal wasn't just to get an acceptance, but to get into the best school possible and with the most financial aid possible. A lot of schools match aid, so my goal is to get As at schools I know I probably won't attend, but get some scholarships and use those to increase my financial aid at schools I will attend.

Were your in state options limited?

Were your in state options limited?
Nope, my state has one of the most med schools in the country. I just wanted to maximize my financial aid. IS or OOS doesn't really matter too much for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the call. MSTP A received!!! So excited!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just received the call. MSTP A received!!! So excited!!!!
OMG CONGRATS!!! So happy to see another mdphd applicant live a good life. Still waiting for an II/R (IS applicant here) :) may I ask, what were your exact stats? My LM is 67.7, so somewhat close to yours

Does anyone know what days of the week UVA calls about A's? Wanted to make sure I have my phone on me!

UVA doesn’t call, they email, pretty much only on Fridays from what I’ve seen
Post-interview A/R decisions are sent out for each cohort every Friday after interviews. If you were interviewed in a week and did not receive a decision, your app is being held for a future decision.

Post-interview A/R decisions are sent out for each cohort every Friday after interviews. If you were interviewed in a week and did not receive a decision, your app is being held for a future decision.
wait what. So if I interview on Thursday, they could accept me that same Friday?

Damn, I guess this is the perk of an 80%-90% acceptance rate. Unless someone is absolutely terrible, theyre pretty much in.
Whoa chill there my friend, I get that you're excited to have a high yield interview, but us WLer's confidence can only drop so low lol

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Whoa chill there my friend, I get that you're excited to have a high yield interview, but us WLer's confidence can only drop so low lol
I am so sorry, I don't know why I didn't even consider that before posting that comment. That was absolutely ridiculous of me, my apologies.
Also, I assume a decent number of the "Deferred" or "Waitlist" batch makes it in. In my original comment, I meant more so "to be rejected" rather than "to be accepted", but even then terrible thing to say.

Thanks for calling it out.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I am so sorry, I don't know why I didn't even consider that before posting that comment. That was absolutely ridiculous of me, my apologies.
Also, I assume a decent number of the "Deferred" or "Waitlist" batch makes it in. In my original comment, I meant more so "to be rejected" rather than "to be accepted", but even then terrible thing to say.

Thanks for calling it out.
It's all good man, it's an honest mistake, and I'm sure you didn't mean to put anyone down. Thanks for being understanding.

And to all my friends who didn't get the news they wanted from high yield interviews, we're all gonna make it. One bad outcome doesn't determine everything. Just gotta keep at it!

Reactions: 4 users
It's all good man, it's an honest mistake, and I'm sure you didn't mean to put anyone down. Thanks for being understanding.

And to all my friends who didn't get the news they wanted from high yield interviews, we're all gonna make it. One bad outcome doesn't determine everything. Just gotta keep at it!
Does anyone know how much of the class at UVA comes from the waitlist? At some of the schools I've interviewed at, it's been as much as 30-40% of the class. At CWRU CCLCM, 45% of all acceptances are given to the waitlist.

Does anyone know how much of the class at UVA comes from the waitlist? At some of the schools I've interviewed at, it's been as much as 30-40% of the class. At CWRU CCLCM, 45% of all acceptances are given to the waitlist.
Wouldn't it depend on whether the accepted applicants turn down their offer? I am not sure how you can put this year's % or numbers given that the cycle is not over.

Wouldn't it depend on whether the accepted applicants turn down their offer? I am not sure how you can put this year's % or numbers given that the cycle is not over.
Usually, the percentage of accepted students that choose to turn down their offers remains the same, which you can see in the post-II tracker. Schools tend to award about the same number of acceptances every year, and follow the same procedures to recruit from the waitlist.

Of course, there can be exceptions. Pitt overenrolled this past year and took none from the waitlist.

I don't have specific numbers for UVA, but with such a high admit rate, the part of the class coming from the WL is probably pretty low.

For every school, the answer to this question is not random, and is derived by finding out how they handle initial As. Schools like CCLM, with tiny classes and free tuition, cannot over accept by necessity. As a result, their extensive use of the WL is planned, and is directly tied to their yield for any given year.

Other schools also do this as a matter of policy, keeping the number of initial As pretty close to their class size, and planning to back fill with the WL, which could lead to up to 50% or more of a class coming from the WL. Still other schools don't play that game, and instead over accept initially by a wide margin, using historic yields to determine how many As to issue. Those schools make make little, if any, use of the WL.

The key is to figure out which category any given school, such as UVA, falls into. Given its extremely high admit rate, as well as its ginormous IS yield, it's unlikely it makes extensive use of its WL, especially for IS. The only way to know for sure is to look at prior year threads to try to get a feel for its WL movement, keeping in mind that a school with an 80% accept rate and 65% yield is going to make very different use of the WL than one with a 20% accept rate and 50% yield.

Reactions: 3 users
Usually, the percentage of accepted students that choose to turn down their offers remains the same, which you can see in the post-II tracker. Schools tend to award about the same number of acceptances every year, and follow the same procedures to recruit from the waitlist.

Of course, there can be exceptions. Pitt overenrolled this past year and took none from the waitlist.
I did not know those numbers are similar year to year. Interesting.

I don't have specific numbers for UVA, but with such a high admit rate, the part of the class coming from the WL is probably pretty low.

For every school, the answer to this question is not random, and is derived by finding out how they handle initial As. Schools like CCLM, with tiny classes and free tuition, cannot over accept by necessity. As a result, their extensive use of the WL is planned, and is directly tied to their yield for any given year.

Other schools also do this as a matter of policy, keeping the number of initial As pretty close to their class size, and planning to back fill with the WL, which could lead to up to 50% or more of a class coming from the WL. Still other schools don't play that game, and instead over accept initially by a wide margin, using historic yields to determine how many As to issue. Those schools make make little, if any, use of the WL.

The key is to figure out which category any given school, such as UVA, falls into. Given its extremely high admit rate, as well as its ginormous IS yield, it's unlikely it makes extensive use of its WL, especially for IS. The only way to know for sure is to look at prior year threads to try to get a feel for its WL movement, keeping in mind that a school with an 80% accept rate and 65% yield is going to make very different use of the WL than one with a 20% accept rate and 50% yield.
Knightdoc is actually quite right in this instance I believe, as a while back I went to look at last year's thread and there seemed to be little movement. I think estimates put it to about 10-15 people off a waitlist of 75, which puts it at like 10% of the incoming class coming from the waitlist. It makes sense, given UVA's high acceptance numbers.

Reactions: 6 users
Does UVA accept thank you letters? Should I just email them to the admissions email? I don't have the interviewers' emails. Thanks!

Does UVA accept thank you letters? Should I just email them to the admissions email? I don't have the interviewers' emails. Thanks!
I emailed my interviewers individually. I found their emails on UVA website.

Just got the A omg yall ! My first A !!!! Interviewed 10/27 was not expecting the quick turn around wow

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the A omg yall ! My first A !!!! Interviewed 10/27 was not expecting the quick turn around wow
Out of curiosity, given the high post-II rate, is there a different tone in UVA interviews? Most of my interviews have had a 33% ish acceptance rate, and the phrases "if you get in", "if you fit", "if..." come up a lot, basically reminding us there's a good chance we might not get in.

Dear UVA,

I saw you from across the room and I really thought we had something.

So now, I'm just a girl, standing in front of a medical school, asking it to love her.

Please let me know if you feel the same way.

Sincerely,

B

Out of curiosity, given the high post-II rate, is there a different tone in UVA interviews? Most of my interviews have had a 33% ish acceptance rate, and the phrases "if you get in", "if you fit", "if..." come up a lot, basically reminding us there's a good chance we might not get in.
Definitely! At UVA everyone seemed to assume all of us interviewees were getting in, saying things like "if you choose to come here" or "when you are here". Oddly though I had a similar experience at a school with a lower acceptance rate (~50%) but UVA was much more high key about it. I would say UVA was also one of the friendlier schools I interviewed at !

Definitely! At UVA everyone seemed to assume all of us interviewees were getting in, saying things like "if you choose to come here" or "when you are here". Oddly though I had a similar experience at a school with a lower acceptance rate (~50%) but UVA was much more high key about it. I would say UVA was also one of the friendlier schools I interviewed at !
No offense but according to what you are saying, I should be getting As from every school. LOL. I think it's just a sales speech type deal rather than "assumed that you are already in." I think.

Can we upload updates to the portal (pre-II) or should we email any updates? Thanks!

I have an interview on a Thursday, can I hear back from them the very next day or is it the following week?

I have an interview on a Thursday, can I hear back from them the very next day or is it the following week?
based on this thread, it seems like you receive a decision the next day (that week Friday) at 11 AM.

based on this thread, it seems like you receive a decision the next day (that week Friday) at 11 AM.
You gotta put some respect on UVA's name with this one. Super chill and friendly school, especially considering how well respected it is

You gotta put some respect on UVA's name with this one. Super chill and friendly school, especially considering how well respected it is
Yup. I only wish they offered some type of aid beyond need. There's no merit scholarships at all.

• Wow