2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got complete email, IS, submitted 7/22

Members don't see this ad.

Complete email today as well. For half a second got my hopes up of an II and then realized that was stupid of me

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I also got the complete e-mail. Submitted 8/2

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY downstate heavily favors NYC residents.
I was born and raised in nyc, family moved to texas after my hs graduation and two years later i transferred to a university in nyc. will my ties make a strong case for me? do they consider that??

Got the secondary on 8/21, Submitted secondary today, got my complete email an hour later!

II received this morning! OOS, LM 71, URM

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it says "your application is ready" in the portal does that mean it has not been reviewed yet? Received complete email 8/4.

If it says "your application is ready" in the portal does that mean it has not been reviewed yet? Received complete email 8/4.

Yea basically its ready for review, so their way of saying "under review"

II received IS ORM LM 71, verified 7/13 ish

Reactions: 2 users
Since they release A's in January is this school true rolling admission? Does having an early II give you an advantage?

one of my physics courses isn't showing up in the section where we into the classes used to fulfill requirements. I got a C- in the class. do you guys think thats why its not showing up? C- is considering passing at my school

one of my physics courses isn't showing up in the section where we into the classes used to fulfill requirements. I got a C- in the class. do you guys think thats why its not showing up? C- is considering passing at my school

Check the website, because maybe based on their reqs, they want you to get a C or better ?? not sure myself tbh. I saw that my P/F courses wouldn't show up on the side

Yes, a C- does not satisfy their requirement of C or better so it can't be used

For the pre-requisites, can we enter biochem courses for orgo chem 2? and molecular cell bio for bio 2? :unsure:

Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload a photo to the secondary application? I know some schools require you to do so, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it for this secondary app.

Care to explain?
Not OP but I heard similar sentiments from a couple attendings, friends who go there, and even a professor who collaborates with some of the researchers there. Apparently there isn't much "school spirit" there and almost every MS2+ is lowkey depressed. There are also issues with funding within the hospital. Still, it's a med school and this is all hearsay.

On a different note, did anyone receive VITA invites from Downstate? It's on the AAMC VITA list but so far no one mentioned anything about it. I wonder if they're going to pull an Upstate and remove VITA from their admissions process.

• Dislike
Not OP but I heard similar sentiments from a couple attendings, friends who go there, and even a professor who collaborates with some of the researchers there. Apparently there isn't much "school spirit" there and almost every MS2+ is lowkey depressed. There are also issues with funding within the hospital. Still, it's a med school and this is all hearsay.

On a different note, did anyone receive VITA invites from Downstate? It's on the AAMC VITA list but so far no one mentioned anything about it. I wonder if they're going to pull an Upstate and remove VITA from their admissions process.
I got the vita invite, they come out on thursdays of each week. Your experience is probably what you make of it. I imagine if you try hard enough you can find something to do in Brooklyn or meet at least a couple of friends...

Reactions: 1 user
I got the vita invite, they come out on thursdays of each week. Your experience is probably what you make of it. I imagine if you try hard enough you can find something to do in Brooklyn or meet at least a couple of friends...
Ah shoot, I was hoping they changed their minds about VITA lol.

And definitely true. It just seems to me that you'll have to try a bit harder to make friends. Although between them jumping on the VITA bandwagon and the atmosphere there, I would personally choose another school if I were given the option. But like I said, it's still a respectable medical school.

Current student at Downstate. I wish I had someone who would have spoken to me candidly about downstate when i was applying and inquiring. If you are not aware with the culture at downstate I would really encourage you to think twice about coming here. Everything is very 'figure it out on your own.' Research opportunities are minimal, mentorship is minimal, financial support is minimal. Everyone who goes here seems to just be ok with it because we're too far in but hopefully this will deter some of the rest of you from attending if you have other options. My only frame of reference of course is my UGrad institution of course which had its imperfections but this place is just something else. Feel free to PM me for specifics.

Update: This is based on preclinical years so far. I have not started clerkship which is apparently what sets Downstate students apart from others. Take what I say with a grain of salt and do your due diligence to investigate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
II tonight at literally 11pm was not expecting that! IS 518/3.7 — Complete 8/13

Reactions: 3 users
I also just got an II. Definitely was not expecting an interview at this time of day!! 512/3.77, Complete 8/13

I also just got an II. Definitely was not expecting an interview at this time of day!! 512/3.77, Complete 8/13
same!! my first II T_T 517/3.51, IS complete on 8/19
Maybe i haven't scoured through everything yet, but does anyone know how long the interview lasts?

edit: oh jk i literally just needed to calm down and read the welcome letter more thoroughly lol... it says "one-to-one interview with one of our faculty members, approximately 45-60 minutes in length via video conferencing (i.e. Zoom)."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
has anyone gotten the student interview yet?
not yet! my friend at downstate mentioned that those usually dont come until later in the cycle, like February? but pls feel free to correct me if anyone has more info!

In the portal my app says "Your application is ready." Does this mean it is not under review yet? Is there any update from Downstate if it were to be reviewed. Received complete email 8/3

not yet! my friend at downstate mentioned that those usually dont come until later in the cycle, like February? but pls feel free to correct me if anyone has more info!

i think they said someone should contact us within 5 days? or maybe i misread and that was about something else

These IIs that I’m not getting are by email, yeah? I dont need to check the portal?