2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's true, I could take it as a non-degree seeking student at a local CC. I might do that if I'm already accepted, probably not worth taking it in advance for me.
That’s what I’m planning on doing as well. I’m going to see where I am in January and will take it then if I am in a good standing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anybody's LOR still marked as incomplete after secondary submission? I submitted about a week ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s what I’m planning on doing as well. I’m going to see where I am in January and will take it then if I am in a good standing

Just fyi, because of covid, admissions decisions aren't being released until Feb 19th this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Mine says completed, is there maybe a letter that they are waiting on that hasn’t been received?

I don’t think so. My committee letter’s been received by pretty much every other school I’ve applied to. Think I should shoot em an email?

EDIT: marked complete today (7/28)

Last edited:
Is this just for Pitt? Or all MD schools? So we won't know about any acceptances until Feb 19th?
It's not just Pitt and a few other schools got rid of rolling admissions this cycle but there are still plenty/most who will continue with rolling admissions with first notification in October.

Did you guys get an email from the PSTP program admin? They added where I currently do research in the email, so I wasn't sure if it was just an automated response--I might be wrong though..

can any former applicants reassure me that they won't yeet my application instantly for never taking a former psych class? I was a chemical engineering major so space for electives tended to be hard to come by...

This discrimination essay is a doozy. I think effectively combating systemic racism, lgbtq discrimination and misogyny takes a little bit more than 250 words to explain, but alas. I wonder how the Pitt adcoms themselves would answer this prompt?

Reactions: 2 users
anyone have any insight on if the first question is like a typical adversity question, or like if it's geared to more like a professional/work problem that you resolved like a coworker wasn't being cooperative or a team member wasn't doing their work or something? Was gonna use my general adversity essay but the "resolved" part is throwing me off.
Also for the third one - what are you guys doing? Tryna figure out if I wanna do a why pitt or a COVID one

anyone have any insight on if the first question is like a typical adversity question, or like if it's geared to more like a professional/work problem that you resolved like a coworker wasn't being cooperative or a team member wasn't doing their work or something? Was gonna use my general adversity essay but the "resolved" part is throwing me off.
Also for the third one - what are you guys doing? Tryna figure out if I wanna do a why pitt or a COVID one
For the first, I did a specific anecdotal experience from an extracurricular student org I'm in (team member didn't do what they promised to do, then basically told me to deal with it).
For the third, I mentioned my ties to Pittsburgh (family) and then talked about COVID!

So I know on Pitt's admissions page they say they don't use rolling admissions and that decisions all come out on the same day. Does this mean they are waiting until the submission date to begin reviewing applications, or would it still be beneficial to submit as early as possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know on Pitt's admissions page they say they don't use rolling admissions and that decisions all come out on the same day. Does this mean they are waiting until the submission date to begin reviewing applications, or would it still be beneficial to submit as early as possible?
Could be wrong but I believe them not using rolling admissions just means that they are only delaying the announcement of their decisions. They will interview and review apps on a rolling basis and probably make decisions ~2 weeks out from interviews for those sets of applicants (bc how would u remember all those ppl way later down the road) but don’t make any formal announcements until a certain date

Reactions: 1 user
(bc how would u remember all those ppl way later down the road)

To be fair, applicants aren't actually interviewed by adcoms. The interviewers submit an evaluation sheet to the admissions committee, and they make their decision based on the interviewer's feedback and the applicant's application material. So they could theoretically review a candidate at any time post-interview.

For their half-year statistics requirement, I come from the quarter system and took one quarter of stats (didn't really make sense to take two different stat classes), would that count as half a year?

This discrimination essay is a doozy. I think effectively combating systemic racism, lgbtq discrimination and misogyny takes a little bit more than 250 words to explain, but alas. I wonder how the Pitt adcoms themselves would answer this prompt?
Can't speak for the adcoms, but I just picked one of them and explored it in-depth with reference to my experiences. I can't imagine how you'd effectively cover all three.

I mean there’s rona. It’s probably slowing down the discussions process.
Yeah it probably depends on when they made the advisor report, but the advisor report DOES take into account virtual interviews and delays so... I would imagine that the dates of IIs would be correct as well? Either way, doesn't matter. Just a waiting game

For those who are applying to Pitts MSTP, what did you put for the MSTP CV section, "Other Extracurricular Activities or Professional Certifications or Skills?"
Are we supposed to list all other activities from our primary application?
And are we supposed to write a short description? or none at all?

Thanks in advance!!

Did anyone's SSN not get saved in the secondary page? Mine erased the field upon reviewing it.

Did anyone's SSN not get saved in the secondary page? Mine erased the field upon reviewing it.
Yea it does that on purpose. I think there's a note about it on the page somewhere. The SSN is stored on their end, but won't be viewable again on yours.

Idk if you all noticed, but the one II listed is MSTP. Those are often released earlier or later than MD IIs. Wouldn't expect getting MD IIs just yet.

Reactions: 8 users
Idk if you all noticed, but the one II listed is MSTP. Those are often released earlier or later than MD IIs. Wouldn't expect getting MD IIs just yet.

Out of curiosity, where does it say that it is an MSTP II?
Edit: Nevermind, found it in the raw data section. Great catch!

Reactions: 1 user
CARS god? those critical reading skills coming through ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Can confirm they are sending out MSTP II!! Complete 7/20, invited tonight!

Reactions: 4 users
Did your essays get merged into one giant paragraph?????? wtf
Yeah mine did too after I submitted. Not sure if that is how it appears for them too or not. If it is I wish they mentioned that before we submit

Any current students or applicants aware of any virtual open houses being held? I know some other schools are doing that
Lmao why don’t u just create a thread as opposed to posting the same q on every schools page — ur blowing up my notifications

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
II just now :) complete 7/18 (MD only)

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Has anyone scheduled an interview? Does anyone know what the "team leader exercise" is? It scares me. I wonder how they are going to do this virtually.

II!!! OOS, ORM, 524, 4.0, complete 7/19

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
did anyone who got an II this past week receive a VITA email today?