2020-2021 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
NYU posted their secondary prompts this year on their website:
No word limit on any of them, but I assume ~2500 characters like last time?
  1. If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.
  2. If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.
  3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine Community?
  4. The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career and why? If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.
  5. Please answer only one of the following three questions:
    1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the
      personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to
      you?
    2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and
      traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it
      challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
    3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has
      been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did
      you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?
  6. In light of the public health emergency that was the COVID-19 pandemic, how do you view
    your potential role as a frontline healthcare provider?

@TheDataKing Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for posting this @Lawlify . The last 3 prompts (4, 5 & 6) seem to be new this year compared to last year.
@NYUAmbassadors would you please be able to confirm if they have 2500 char limit each ?

"In light of the public health emergency that was the COVID-19 pandemic, how do you view
your potential role as a frontline healthcare provider?"

I'm having some trouble starting this prompt, and I think it is due to not really understanding what is being asked. Would anybody smarter than me give their two cents on how they are going about answering this?

Reactions: 1 users
How is question #3 meant to be answered? I thought it was just a diversity prompt at first, but I was a little bit tripped up by the end part where it says to relate your experiences to how you would "contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine Community"? Also, it says it wants to know about your qualities outside of interpersonal skills and leadership and that's kind of how my diversity essay is written already haha, any advice?

How is question #3 meant to be answered? I thought it was just a diversity prompt at first, but I was a little bit tripped up by the end part where it says to relate your experiences to how you would "contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine Community"? Also, it says it wants to know about your qualities outside of interpersonal skills and leadership and that's kind of how my diversity essay is written already haha, any advice?
I'm just spitballing here but it's sounding very much to me like one of the TMDSAS primary essays:
  • Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others.
Maybe it's going for something similar, and wants you to describe something unique in your life outside of stuff the rest of your app already presumably emphasizes and how that adds to the experience of others at the school?

Reactions: 1 user
I copy and pasted my diversity essay.

Does your diversity essay talk about or build off of things you talked about elsewhere in your app, if you don't mind sharing?
Yes in a sense, just in a different perspective. I tried to not retell something they already knew from parts of my app

So do we know the word/character count for their secondaries?
I don't think we have official confirmation, but based on last year's secondary application, I would guess 2500 characters each.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love how they refer to COVID-19 in the past tense

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Hi guys, I emailed admissions and they informed me that the character limit for each question is indeed 2500 characters!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
For question #4, should we touch on all three tenets of medicine they mention (patient care, research, and education)? I'm finding it a little hard to be able to address all three in 2500 characters. How are people attacking this one?

For question #4, should we touch on all three tenets of medicine they mention (patient care, research, and education)? I'm finding it a little hard to be able to address all three in 2500 characters. How are people attacking this one?
I actually interpreted this I'm free to talk about qualities or life experiences outside of those 3 and focus on other stuff like culture or family life or maybe your personal experiences within academics as opposed to academics themselves and tie it into NYU specifically. They said "other factors COMPLEMENTARY" to those 3 things, which to me means outside of those things, which makes sense because those like academics are already in your primary.

Lmao I misread and thought you said #3 not #4 oops

Last edited:
You can go ahead and pick one or two of those facets that interest you and maybe insert some personal experiences that sparked that interest.

when I answered it, I talked about academic medicine and mentioned my research and love for teaching

You can go ahead and pick one or two of those facets that interest you and maybe insert some personal experiences that sparked that interest.

when I answered it, I talked about academic medicine and mentioned my research and love for teaching

Did you find these topics successful when brought up in interviews and stuff? I have experiences that lead to similar interests so I plan on touching on academic medicine a lot on my secondaries.

Did you find these topics successful when brought up in interviews and stuff? I have experiences that lead to similar interests so I plan on touching on academic medicine a lot on my secondaries.
I interviewed this past cycle, so it was MMI. The only time these topics had any relevance was during the one station that was a traditional like interview. Even then, it’s short and you asked pretty standard questions. Don’t really have time to go into a monologue about why you want to go into academic medicine

Hey everyone, this might be a bit of a dumb question, but are these character counts strict? In other words, do they recommend a length of 2500 characters, or do they cut off your text at 2500 characters? I want to know if we have any leeway to go over this cutoff by a little bit.
Pretty sure they cut you straight off at the limit.

Hey everyone, this might be a bit of a dumb question, but are these character counts strict? In other words, do they recommend a length of 2500 characters, or do they cut off your text at 2500 characters? I want to know if we have any leeway to go over this cutoff by a little bit.
Yeah, pretty sure they cut you off. And even if they don’t, not following instructions is not going to be look good for an applicant

"In light of the public health emergency that was the COVID-19 pandemic, how do you view
your potential role as a frontline healthcare provider?"

I'm having some trouble starting this prompt, and I think it is due to not really understanding what is being asked. Would anybody smarter than me give their two cents on how they are going about answering this?
I may be mistaken, but I think this question is basically asking what you would be doing as a physician during a public health emergency (i.e. helping with policy, addressing the needs of specific communities etc.) Since they address COVID-19 in the past tense, I am thinking they are asking more generally.

Reactions: 2 users
wait, i just received the secondary from NYU Grossman....Why are my prompts different??

• Wow
Could someone post the MSTP secondary questions if they have received them? Thank you so much!

MSTP Prompts didn't change:

Select 5 faculty you'd like to meet from a drop-down.

How many months of full-time research experience have you completed? When estimating this amount, you may convert part-time research into its full-time equivalent. For example, if you conducted part-time research for 1 year for ~50% of the time, this would equal 6 months of full-time research. Please do not include lab experiences associated with a course (e.g., organic chemistry course with lab).

Sorry. Not sure if this is the Grossman campus. This is for the Long Island one. Here are the prompts

Secondary Questions
Prior to the current application cycle, have you ever applied to any medical school before?
YesNo

Prior to the current application cycle, have you ever been accepted to any medical school before?
YesNo

Applicants who are successful in securing a seat in the NYU Long Island School of Medicine may also be offered a conditionally guaranteed position in one of our linked ACGME-accredited residencies. Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):
Internal MedicinePediatricsOB/GynSurgery

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. (Maximum Words: 500)
Current Word Count: 0 /500
Minimum words: 0

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. (Maximum Words: 500)

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 500)

Please tell us about your current and future planned activities during this application cycle. (Maximum Words: 500)
Can you delete this and put it into the NYU Long Island thread? This isn't the Grossman secondary

Reactions: 5 users
NYU Gorssman had already pre-published their secondary prompts here
They missed specifying the character limit. Another poster emailed admissions and got confirmation that its 2500 chars. If anyone has received the secondary can they please verify the character count.

For anybody who submitted their secondaries, should the "Application File Complete" box be checked off? One of my letters is no longer being sent, and the rest are in, but the portal still says that I am missing documents. Is anybody else having this issue?

For anybody who submitted their secondaries, should the "Application File Complete" box be checked off? One of my letters is no longer being sent, and the rest are in, but the portal still says that I am missing documents. Is anybody else having this issue?

You got a secondary?

For the Tertiary application, does anyone else have an error that says it closed on 5/22/2020? (Before we could possibly have submitted??)

submitted today and all of my letters are in but I have red exclamation point next to letters and tertiary application (which I'm not doing). my guess is it will take a couple days for them to mark us complete

submitted today and all of my letters are in but I have red exclamation point next to letters and tertiary application (which I'm not doing). my guess is it will take a couple days for them to mark us complete

Great, I called and sent an email right after I submitted on Monday and have been checking every so often. No response as of yet.

I submitted on 7/12 and my application still hasn't been marked as complete... there's a red exclamation point next to LORs (but all have been received) and tertiary app (not filling that out anyways). MSTP, OOS

never got a complete email, logged on today and status tab shows i was complete 7/16 (submitted 7/15). so if you don't think you're complete double check the portal!

The tertiary is not required for an interview right? Is there a due date for it?

2. If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

After my degree, I worked in the military for 4 years before starting my post-baccalaureate. Is this prompt asking me to discuss that?
yes! i believe so

After my degree, I worked in the military for 4 years before starting my post-baccalaureate. Is this prompt asking me to discuss that?

Anyone know if this includes the 'what are you doing in the app year'?

anyone with a pretty consistent academic record find a way to add info through the "significant fluctuations in your academic record" prompt? I'd love to talk about something lol

anyone with a pretty consistent academic record find a way to add info through the "significant fluctuations in your academic record" prompt? I'd love to talk about something lol

i didn’t, seems like a bad idea in my opinion

Why would you want to talk about something that didn’t apply to you?

Just leave it blank

not sure what you mean, if your academic record is consistent what is there to talk about?