2020-2021 NYU-Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if there is going to be an option to pick family medicine as a residency choice for the upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes on the secondary...
Okay.

I ask because there were posts in last year's thread regarding their plans to possibly add it in the future. I just want to know if anybody has confirmation as to whether it may be for this cycle, or another in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Just for the record this school has 24 seats and each interview day they invite approximately 30ish students.

There are 2 interview days on a weekly basis for the length of the entire interview session for NYULI; y’all can do the math.

As a FAP applicant with financial limitations this would have been nice to know beforehand so I could save cost of travel.

Apply if you’re interested in primary care and near the area but if you find yourself with multiple interviews in the cycle and lacking the funds to travel I would honestly consider saving your money.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay.

I ask because there were posts in last year's thread regarding their plans to possibly add it in the future. I just want to know if anybody has confirmation as to whether it may be for this cycle, or another in the future.

I am curious about this, too! While I am very sure about my decision to pursue primary care, I would prefer family med residency over IM.

Okay.

I clearly stated on their website go back and read every page for admissions. You can opt-out or pic IM, Surgery, Family Medicine, etc. while filling the secondary.

I clearly stated on their website go back and read every page for admissions. You can opt-out or pic IM, Surgery, Family Medicine, etc. while filling the secondary.
Could you possibly provide me with a link as to where family medicine is mentioned as a residency choice on their website? It doesn't appear to be "clearly stated." I can't find it, but I do know that previous applicants heard they were planning on doing it if you look at last year's thread.

You need to relax buddy, I'm just asking a legitimate question.
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 10.18.46 AM.png

Reactions: 1 users
Could you possibly provide me with a link as to where family medicine is mentioned as a residency choice on their website? It doesn't appear to be "clearly stated." I can't find it, but I do know that previous applicants heard they were planning on doing it if you look at last year's thread.

You need to relax buddy, I'm just asking a legitimate question.View attachment 307319
NYU Grossman's accelerated 3-year MD pathway offers conditional acceptance to 1 of 20 residency programs, Family Med being one of them. However, NYU-Long Island is partnered with NYU Winthrop, who does not have a residency program in Family Med at this time.

Does anyone know if they are forgiving of the LOR requirement to have two science faculty letters for nontraditionals? I only have one.

@TheDataKing

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. (Maximum Words: 500)

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. (Maximum Words: 500)

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 500)

Please tell us about your current and future planned activities during this application cycle. (Maximum Words: 500)

@TheDataKing

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. (Maximum Words: 500)

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. (Maximum Words: 500)

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. (Maximum Words: 500)

Please tell us about your current and future planned activities during this application cycle. (Maximum Words: 500)
Thats it ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted! Application Fee Paid, but the portal still says Application is Incomplete :/

Does NYU-LI screen for secondaries? I think it's just nerves but I haven't gotten a secondary but three people I know have

@TheDataKing

So to clarify, is the Long Island program only for the four specialties listed? Their website suggests that applying for conditional acceptance into one of the four residency programs is optional, and answering the secondary questions regarding why you want to do one of the four programs is optional. However, that first question seems to suggest that you must write about your reasons for choosing one of the programs. Or, is "particular field" referring to medicine in general?

Should I submitted my secondary, If I'm still waiting on a LOR for my application to be complete?

for the secondary about choosing a specialty, is this set in stone? can we change our minds later if we get accepted? also, can we also apply to other residency programs outside of NYU?

Also, I’m deciding which of these specialties I’d pursue if accepted. Is the residency you match into unique or is it a normal residency and then I could specialize further if I wanted to?

for the secondary about choosing a specialty, is this set in stone? can we change our minds later if we get accepted? also, can we also apply to other residency programs outside of NYU?
In short, the answer to both of those is yes. I interviewed there last year. They explained that although they will offer every one of their students a residency position at their hospital (aka guaranteed residency and no need to go through the residency interview process), you are allowed to apply to other residency programs at other hospitals. They want students who are sure in their career path in a certain specialty but won't force any of their students to stick with one if they do not want to.
Hope this helps!

In short, the answer to both of those is yes. I interviewed there last year. They explained that although they will offer every one of their students a residency position at their hospital (aka guaranteed residency and no need to go through the residency interview process), you are allowed to apply to other residency programs at other hospitals. They want students who are sure in their career path in a certain specialty but won't force any of their students to stick with one if they do not want to.
Hope this helps!
But wont we be at a disadvantage applying out having done a three year program?

Also, how do I answer the prompt asking why I want to choose my specialty? I'm not sure which I want to do. My experiences would point heavily towards pediatrics, but honestly I'm more interested in surgery. But I have no past experiences to justify that with.

Filling out the secondary now, do they not require a photo upload? I don't see it and just making sure lol.

Hope this helps!
Is their interview process really as bad as other people have made it sound?

One of the secondary questions is: " (Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. (Maximum Words: 500) "

So my question is if I write about adversity that might not be looked upon as "significant," will this detract from my application? Would it be better to write about adversity or leave it blank? (is this a pseudo-optional question?

One of the secondary questions is: " (Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. (Maximum Words: 500) "

So my question is if I write about adversity that might not be looked upon as "significant," will this detract from my application? Would it be better to write about adversity or leave it blank? (is this a pseudo-optional question?
I would say use every space to your advantage. If you have an adverse experience, try to tie it back to medicine and express it in the given space. If you don't think it is super significant, you can keep it short too; since it is only optional

I would say use every space to your advantage. If you have an adverse experience, try to tie it back to medicine and express it in the given space. If you don't think it is super significant, you can keep it short too; since it is only optional

Currently I have 500 words explaining how I had nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting) until I was a sophomore in high school and I talk about what I tried to do to solve the problem, and how it led me to try to be healthier in multiple ways.

So I see how it would seem insignificant to somebody else (I have had somebody tell me that unless it was really significant like I was beaten as a kid or my mom died of cancer in college and this caused my grades to drop that I should not answer the question). But I feel like I should answer the question if I am able to write about it. But then again, if adcoms will be like "WTF, this is not significant," I won't want to put anything down. Thoughts?

Currently I have 500 words explaining how I had nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting) until I was a sophomore in high school and I talk about what I tried to do to solve the problem, and how it led me to try to be healthier in multiple ways.

So I see how it would seem insignificant to somebody else (I have had somebody tell me that unless it was really significant like I was beaten as a kid or my mom died of cancer in college and this caused my grades to drop that I should not answer the question). But I feel like I should answer the question if I am able to write about it. But then again, if adcoms will be like "WTF, this is not significant," I won't want to put anything down. Thoughts?

On the contrary I think that seems like a good story to put there. I think fluff would be like trying to say you failed an exam.

On the contrary I think that seems like a good story to put there. I think fluff would be like trying to say you failed an exam.

I agree with @Vikingbear16

• Love
does anybody's letter of references still say not received, but then when you click it shows all of the letters you sent?

Does anyone's MCAT score say not received and thus application incomplete even though i thought scores were automatically reported? don't know how to fix that

I saw the question of Family Medicine discussed earlier, and someone noted it was an option at NYU Grossman via their 3-year pathway, though I didn't quite suss out if it was included for NYU Long Island this year. For anyone who has received the secondary, is there an option to pick Family Medicine, or do the options remain Surgery, IM, Ob/Gyn or Peds? Thank you!

I saw the question of Family Medicine discussed earlier, and someone noted it was an option at NYU Grossman via their 3-year pathway, though I didn't quite suss out if it was included for NYU Long Island this year. For anyone who has received the secondary, is there an option to pick Family Medicine, or do the options remain Surgery, IM, Ob/Gyn or Peds? Thank you!
I did not see a Family Medicine option, submitted 7/16

does anybody's letter of references still say not received, but then when you click it shows all of the letters you sent?
trying to bump my Q too it says MCAT is not received when i know the scores are automatically sent/it's on my primary. Were you able to sort your problem out because I tried emailing and the automatic reply was "due to high volume emails we may not respond but check MSAR and our website for general information" ...

Does anyone's MCAT score say not received and thus application incomplete even though i thought scores were automatically reported? don't know how to fix that
I am also having the same issue with MCAT not received

I'm interested in Anesthesiology and it is one of the 20 residencies they're offering through this program. However, on the secondary they only give four choices. What am I supposed to pick if I want Anesthesiology? Should I just pick Internal Medicine since you have to do the non-anesthesia general PGY1 before CA 1-3? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Yeah I have no idea. Had a similar issue myself. Dont love how they make us commit before we start
I'm interested in Anesthesiology and it is one of the 20 residencies they're offering through this program. However, on the secondary they only give four choices. What am I supposed to pick if I want Anesthesiology? Should I just pick Internal Medicine since you have to do the non-anesthesia general PGY1 before CA 1-3? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Where did you see that there were 20 residency options? I was under the impression this was a primary care focused school that did not have spots for Anesthesiology.

You should apply to NYU/NYC if that is the case...

There's no email that tells you "Hey we received your completed secondary" right? Submitted mine about a week ago but I remember this was one of the few schools that didn't send me anything

There's no email that tells you "Hey we received your completed secondary" right? Submitted mine about a week ago but I remember this was one of the few schools that didn't send me anything
I received completed secondary the same day and application email!

I received completed secondary the same day and application email!

Got it now only after messaging them. FYI for everyone else that's applying, if you don't see a completed email, make sure to message them