2020-2021 Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For y'all that got II's, did you receive an email saying you got the II or did it only show up on your portal? Also, congratulations!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

For y'all that got II's, did you receive an email saying you got the II or did it only show up on your portal? Also, congratulations!!!!
I got an email inviting me to take the next step. Then once I logged in it showed an interview invite!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My email was the same! Does anyone know the interview format? I was seeing something about a stress interviewer? I just want to know how to prepare, thanks :)

Does anyone have more info on the four learning communities? I wasn't able to find more details about them on the website.

Race/ethnicity does and should matter a lot. It's an HBCU medical school, the mission REQUIRES a strong focus on the Black community.

Almost 62% of the student body over the past few years is Black. That is intentional. It is just as diverse as most non-HBCUs, but I don't think we should ignore the fact that race is a big factor here.

Reactions: 2 users
About half of MSM's student body is not AA. It's quite diverse, and race/ethnicity doesn't impact admissions as much as many think.
I had a talk with a Meharry student a couple of months ago and asked about her impressions of the other HBCU med schools. When talking about Morehouse, she said they were “kinda moving away from HBCU status”. I was very confused when she said that but now I understand she didn’t mean that literally, but she’s probably referring to what you’re saying here.

I had a talk with a Meharry student a couple of months ago and asked about her impressions of the other HBCU med schools. When talking about Morehouse, she said they were “kinda moving away from HBCU status”. I was very confused when she said that but now I understand she didn’t mean that literally, but she’s probably referring to what you’re saying here.
Not really sure about how the admissions team incorporates race , but I am not AA however I have done a lot of medical work with minorities and a lot of my application reflects on that and I did receive an II! So I don’t think the applicants’ race is important, I think it’s if you fit the mission of the school

Not really sure about how the admissions team incorporates race , but I am not AA however I have done a lot of medical work with minorities and a lot of my application reflects on that and I did receive an II! So I don’t think the applicants’ race is important, I think it’s if you fit the mission of the school
I'm pretty sure both are factored in. If not, the student body would not be 62% Black.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure both are factored in. If not, the student body would not be 62% Black.

Is that "62%" because they mainly accept "black" students after the interview, or is it that most students who apply to MSM and interview happen to be black? That data can be misleading. Most aspiring medical students don't feel connected to underserved communities enough to aspire to practice in them (probably because most medical students in the US are not black or underserved). I'm sure that plays a factor in that statistic.

I'm not trying to argue, but it is an interesting topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is that "62%" because they mainly accept "black" students after the interview, or is it that most students who apply to MSM and interview happen to be black? That data can be misleading. Most aspiring medical students don't feel connected to underserved communities enough to aspire to practice in them (probably because most medical students in the US are not black). I'm sure that plays a factor in that statistic.

I'm not trying to argue, but it is an interesting topic.
Yeah that's a great point! My guess would be it's a mixture of both. If most students who applied were white, do you think the med school would suddenly become Bluefield State? I doubt it lol, but maybe.

Yeah that's a great point! My guess would be it's a mixture of both. If most students who applied were white, do you think the med school would suddenly become Bluefield State? I doubt it lol, but maybe.

I agree. If we're getting technical, many of MSM's black students are not "African-American" but are from other "black" parts of the Diaspora. Overall, MSM is more cosmopolitan than most HBCUs, and, to a certain extent, I think that's important and interesting.

I agree. If we're getting technical, many of MSM's black students are not "African-American" but are from other "black" parts of the Diaspora. Overall, MSM is more cosmopolitan than most HBCUs, and, to a certain extent, I think that's important and interesting.
Sure, which is also why I've been using "Black" instead of AA. And honestly, I don't think the Atlanta area is any more cosmopolitan than the other 3 HBCU medical schools (DC, Nashville, LA).

Has anyone who received a II heard anything about when they want it by? I’m guessing the VITA invite will come this Thursday

Has anyone who received a II heard anything about when they want it by? I’m guessing the VITA invite will come this Thursday
I got an email today saying to complete it by 08/20 and they also sent the outline for my interview but I chose the first one for this Friday! So you should probably get in close to your date

I got an email today saying to complete it by 08/20 and they also sent the outline for my interview but I chose the first one for this Friday! So you should probably get in close to your date
I didn't get the email to complete VITA. Was this sent from Hirevue? Is it because I haven't selected a date for the interview yet? Any idea? Thanks

Any current student at this school wants to shed some light? Thanks

Not sure if this is what you meant but I got an email earlier today that said the deadline for completing the VITA interview is 72 hours before your scheduled interview.

Not sure if this is what you meant but I got an email earlier today that said the deadline for completing the VITA interview is 72 hours before your scheduled interview.
Yes that’s what I meant- thanks! I got that email as well :)

II received! Complete 8/11
Stats: OOS, AA, 3.7, 507

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Do you know how long after you submitted you received a complete email?
Thank you!! I actually never received one. I only got an email saying that my payment was received, but I did go check the application portal to make sure it said that my secondary was submitted

Thank you!! I actually never received one. I only got an email saying that my payment was received, but I did go check the application portal to make sure it said that my secondary was submitted
This is good to know, because I was worried when I only got the payment receipet.

This is good to know, because I was worried when I only got the payment receipet.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it because it seems like they just don't send a complete email! I'd just keep an eye on your email for the next couple of weeks

Prewriting and confused about question 2: Briefly explain the reasons for your selections in the Perceptions of Your Medical Career Section (regarding community size you want to practice in)?
Is it related to question 1 " What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to: 1. Administration 2. Teaching 3. Patient Care 4. Research. (999 characters) " or are the two questions totally unrelated. Not sure what the "perceptions of your medical career section" is referring to.
It’s likely some short answer or check-box questions you will see when you enter the portal to do your secondary

Prewriting and confused about question 2: Briefly explain the reasons for your selections in the Perceptions of Your Medical Career Section (regarding community size you want to practice in)?
Is it related to question 1 " What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to: 1. Administration 2. Teaching 3. Patient Care 4. Research. (999 characters) " or are the two questions totally unrelated. Not sure what the "perceptions of your medical career section" is referring to.
It's literally that whole section. So all those checkbox questions about what type of specialty and what size city etc. plus the % question

It's literally that whole section. So all those checkbox questions about what type of specialty and what size city etc. plus the % question
Thank you! I am still waiting on my primary app to get verified and don't have access to the secondary so I will probably just wait to answer those questions.

Thank you! I am still waiting on my primary app to get verified and don't have access to the secondary so I will probably just wait to answer those questions.
ohh ok well that makes sense that you didn't understand the question lol. I'll include them below:

1. Identify the one type of medical career listed below to which you may wish to devote the majority of your professional efforts: Primary care, specialty care, (I can't see or remember the rest b/c mine is submitted now)

2. Indicate the character of medical practice you presently contemplate: individual, partnership, private group, hospital-based group, academic-based Group, Public health, industrial, or undecided

3. What percent of your professional time do you anticipate devoting to: 1. Administration 2. Teaching 3. Patient Care 4. Research

4. In which size community do you think you would like to practice? Small town, large metropolitan (again, I can't remember the choices)

5. If you selected Large Metropolitan in the the previous question, please choose one of the following below. If you did not select Large Metropolitan, select Does not apply. Choices are inner city, suburbs, other city area, etc

6. Briefly explain the reasons for your selections in the Perceptions of Your Medical Career Section. 999 characters

Hope this helps!

Lmao yeah I realized I looked stupid after I posted it. I'm just tryna get as much as I can done now before they all roll in at once. Thank you so much!
very smart of you. I messed around during the 3 weeks that i had to prewrite now i'm hating myself haha

Has anyone who applied MD/MPH gotten an II yet?
Also congrats to everyone who has gotten an II :)

Were we supposed to get a complete or received email after submitting the secondary and paying the fee?

Were we supposed to get a complete or received email after submitting the secondary and paying the fee?

I only got an email that my payment was received. I also checked on the application portal and it just says your application has been submitted and you'll get notified if your status changes.

Has anyone already gone on their interview? If so, how was it?

Has anyone already gone on their interview? If so, how was it?
The first interview I believe is this Friday! I selected the 21st but they cancelled it due to VITA and rescheduled me for this Friday!

The first interview I believe is this Friday! I selected the 21st but they cancelled it due to VITA and rescheduled me for this Friday!

Good luck on your interview! How long did it take you between submitting your complete application and then receiving an II?

Anyone know if MSM is big on rural medicine?

Mercer is more geared towards rural medicine and MSM is focused more on urban/city medicine. MSM's mission is to ensure health equity for all though, so this does include rural populations. Our clinicals take place at Grady, a level I trauma center in downtown Atlanta

I sent in my secondary the 5th, did not received a complete email, had a little trouble with the payment portion but the office emailed me and said it was taken care of the 7th! I got the interview invite August 14th! I’m OOS, LM 65

II!!!! IS with strong ties to downtown ATL and light ties to Grady Hospital.

Reactions: 4 users