2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if they do loan adjustments for the COA based on situation? need a little extra $$ to live b/c of health insurance for both me and my fiancé and he can only work part time cause he is still in school

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if they do loan adjustments for the COA based on situation? need a little extra $$ to live b/c of health insurance for both me and my fiancé and he can only work part time cause he is still in school
They will not consider other families members and their added expenses. COA is based on student only. Health insurance for you is included in the COA, but not for the other fmaily members.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone that is accepted have you filled out the necessary forms and uploaded them to my record tracker? I am wondering how long I can put it off, so how long did it take those of you who did to complete everything? I am waiting on possible other As and don't want to spend the money but it is due March 15th so unsure what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that is accepted have you filled out the necessary forms and uploaded them to my record tracker? I am wondering how long I can put it off, so how long did it take those of you who did to complete everything? I am waiting on possible other As and don't want to spend the money but it is due March 15th so unsure what to do.
I got a majority of it done the first week but I need to go get a few labs drawn still.

I just cancelled my interview here. It was scheduled for next week so if somebody wants an earlier go grab it! Good luck everyone!

Currently on the waitlist here - does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? Also, does ICOM accept update letters if you’re on the waitlist? Hoping to get an A here :)

Currently on the waitlist here - does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? Also, does ICOM accept update letters if you’re on the waitlist? Hoping to get an A here :)
I believe the WL is ranked and the ranked list is sent to applicants around march/april

Welcome to the waitlist team, it will be ranked later on in the spring and they will let us know. And for update letters, they told me that will be a good time to send them too once we are ranked because they are not pulling from the waitlist now.

Welcome to the waitlist team, it will be ranked later on in the spring and they will let us know. And for update letters, they told me that will be a good time to send them too once we are ranked because they are not pulling from the waitlist now.
Thanks so much for letting me know! Best of luck to you!

Interview on 2/1 and I’ve been really discouraged during my research by all the concerns about ICOM being for profit, no federal loans yet, unliked by the medical community, bad rotations etc. Can anyone speak to these concerns?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just to tag on this, I am wondering if anyone here knows the average student debt students expect to leave from this school? From the numbers they gave this is one of the most costly DO schools in the country because of the loan issue. I am just wondering how many years it would take to pay off that debt with the interest assuming you get into primary care as this school will most prepare its students for as well as that most students who go here will get into primary care.
I have concerns about not being able to get federal loans at this time as well if anyone is able to talk about how this will affect students long term

Members don't see this ad :)
tl;dr:
So reading this the credit rating of the school was bumped down. They were financially constrained and investors didn't like the school. This is critical because the school will need to make up that money somehow, and they will probably have to raise tuition. That means this already crazy expensive school will be more expensive putting students in even more debt.

Just something to note.
I found this online: Idaho College Of Osteopathic Medicine LLC Downgraded To 'BBB' On Coronavirus-Related Risk; Ratings On Watch Negative

Idaho College Of Osteopathic Medicine LLC Downgraded To 'BBB' On Coronavirus-Related Risk; Ratings On Watch Negative

Even though this is from last April, this still indicates the medical college is not completely financially solid (corona definitely hurt it) and might have to raise tuition to bolster its balance sheet. It currently has debt outstanding and a lower credit rating is never good. I heard a rumor the college was planning to convert to a non profit in the future by buying out the investors, but I might be wrong. Is that the case or no?

Also, here’s the document on the bond (long read):

Last edited:
  • Wow
tl;dr:
So reading this the credit rating of the school was bumped down. They were financially constrained and investors didn't like the school. This is critical because the school will need to make up that money somehow, and they will probably have to raise tuition. That means this already crazy expensive school will be more expensive putting students in even more debt.

Just something to note.
I found this online: Idaho College Of Osteopathic Medicine LLC Downgraded To 'BBB' On Coronavirus-Related Risk; Ratings On Watch Negative

Idaho College Of Osteopathic Medicine LLC Downgraded To 'BBB' On Coronavirus-Related Risk; Ratings On Watch Negative

Even though this is from last April, this still indicates the medical college is not completely financially solid (corona definitely hurt it) and might have to raise tuition to bolster its balance sheet. It currently has debt outstanding and a lower credit rating is never good. I heard a rumor the college was planning to convert to a non profit in the future by buying out the investors, but I might be wrong. Is that the case or no?

Also, here’s the document on the bond (long read):

The school is planning to go non profit as soon as they can provide gov loans.

Hi all! Current first year student at ICOM here. Thought I would just check in on you all and see how we're doing. (might have something to do with me procrastinating studying for our BIIC midterm tomorrow, who knows)

Let's just start with what Gem says. First of all, you guys are smart kiddos for trying to get into Medical school. Doing a little bit of research you will be able to see this for yourself Gem posts that same crap EVERY SINGLE YEAR ON BOTH SDN AND REDDIT. Just forget about that guy. None of what he says is true. The students here, faculty, and administration have no clue why this person has a vendetta against ICOM. It truly makes no sense. Personally, I think they must've had some bad personal experience with the school and since then, they have made it their personal mission in life to throw whatever shade on the school they possibly can. At this point, I just find it comical. It's legit, just a copy and paste each and every single year of the same thing, word-for-word. Lets address each one of their pitiful points here.

1. Terrible, transparent start. Yeah okay dude. The school didnt happen in Montana purely due to political reasons. As a current ICOM student, what they say about the IMA is just false. I get an email from the IMA EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR BEING A STUDENT AT ICOM. Clearly they hate us so much, that they continue to fill my inbox with helpful information week in and week out. Makes sense.

2. Clerkship/rotation. This is just plain funny. Clerkship Rotations are done in the 3rd/4th years of medical school. There isnt a single 3rd year medical student right now from ICOM that doesn't have a rotation.......we don't have that problem. Sure you may get sent to some place you dont want to go to, but that is part of the adventure of medicine; its not about you, but the people you serve. We have rotation sites set up all over the place in the 5 state region, Mississippi and NY. While it is somewhat true that if you are from the state that we have a rotation site in, you will get sent there, this is not a fact. You could be from CA, but be prepared to get sent to NY or MS if that was what happens in the lottery system. Oh and the thing about St. Luke's and St. Alphonsus, hahaha im dead. This is too funny. Do y'all follow the ICOM instagram page? You should. Go check out the post that was from August 17th of this year. It is a 3rd year medical student STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ST. ALPHONSUS HOSPITAL DURING HIS ROTATION. Like, honestly guys, just look it up. Gem clearly does not fact check.

3. Medical residency in Idaho. This guy is just nuts right here. Go check out Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program This is the most up to date and current Residency Match data out there. Its anything and everything from the Match of 2020 that happens in March. Click on the simple 17 page document that is listed as #2 on the bulleted list. Things to know here, there are ONLY 2 RESIDENCY PROGRAMS in the state of Idaho. One for Internal Medicine, and the other is Family Medicine. If you are wanting to go into something else, you of course have to go elsewhere. ICOM knows this. There are not residency programs currently in the state of Idaho for anything else. Wanna do general surgery? great, youll have to go to another state. But here is the kicker, home-boy Gem says that you will not get a spot residency spot in Idaho cause there "too many competitive applicants from U of W." Okay dude, if it was so hard to get into, and so many people were applying, why didnt they fill all of their spots? Yes, you read that right. NOT ALL OF THE RESIDENCY SPOTS IN IDAHO ARE EVEN FILLED EACH YEAR. So with this person saying that you will not get a residency in Idaho is just false. They dont fill those spots each year. Just look at the data and stay off of BS from Reddit.

4. Predatory admissions process. Give me a break dude. Almost every single other program out there has a high deposit. It helps the schools really count on who is going to come the following year and who is not. Go check it out. Depending on the school, and program (MD or DO), they all have somewhat ridiculous costs for a deposit. This is nothing new, and there is nothing predatory about it. "They will interview you and accept you long before you'll even hear back from any MD or DO program" HAHAHAHA okay, uhm, just gonna throw this out there. I interviewed for this school in APRIL 2020. Long AFTER i had heard back from all the MD programs i had applied to, and i CHOSE to come to ICOM. So uhm, yeah this whole point in their argument is BS.

5. The community does NOT accept ICOM or its students....................ahh yes we are such vile creatures that I dont get any student discounts anywhere. When i walk into the grocery store with my ICOM mask on, everyone does a sudden 180 and spits in my general direction..........happens every time. Considered to be such scum that people have often come up to ask me how they can get involved in our school and help us out with anything we need. Yes, we are such terrible humans that are ostracized by the community that bangs on our school doors each morning pleading with us to leave them and move far, far away. (Please note that this whole statement is dripping in sarcasm). Boise/Meridian loves us. Just know that.

"I post this not to attack anyone considering ICOM, but to hopefully save them from a horrible school that does not care about them. Dislike me if you want, but this is the truth"
- come on guys. Like, just do a little research and know that this person has a vendetta against ICOM for unknown reasons and shouldn't be counted on for anything. I hopefully have shown through plenty of easy fact-checking that each one of their points is false.

On a separate note, as a first year at ICOM, i LOVE helping out pre-meds and answering questions when i can. We are about to hit our thanksgiving break and I will have almost a week of nothing to do but answer your questions. Several months back I even set up a zoom-like call along with another OMS-I to answer several of your questions. I might be able to do something like that again over Christmas break. You can always send me a message on here or ask another current ICOM student for the truth about any questions you have. My only plea, is that you dont listen to a thing that Gem person has to say. Its all BS.
Just a random note since Mr.T and me used to talk ... I was planning to go to ICOM last year, deposit paid.

I withdrew for another offer, THEY WERE SO NICE. They wished me the best and politely asked why I chose to withdraw because they WANTED TO WORK ON IT (?!!!). So predatory of them!

PS. I chose a school with full accreditation / federal loan approval. Not their fault. Oh, and warmer weather.

pReDaToRRRRyyyyyyyyyy!

submitted my secondary yesterday, found the question regarding "why us" to be difficult with them being so new and little to go off of. But, managed to relate towards their emphasis on rural medicine as well as up to date research and studies available.

best of luck all, I know im late lol

I just cancelled my interview here. It was scheduled for next week so if somebody wants an earlier go grab it! Good luck everyone!
Was your interview scheduled for Tuesday? Whoever it was, I appreciated the call to come off the interview wait list and interview a couple weeks earlier. :thumbup:

Does anyone known if ICOM is still sending IIs? Is the class actually full?
When I interviewed Tuesday, they said they weren’t interviewing for the waitlist yet. But it’s getting tight. They will probably keep sending IIs for the waitlist though, and said last year about 70 people came off it.

Hey for those who are current students or are accepted and now figuring out finances, did u have to fill out the FAFSA as a formality even though they dont have gov. aid, or do we just not? Also has anyone been denied private loans for medical school?

Hey for those who are current students or are accepted and now figuring out finances, did u have to fill out the FAFSA as a formality even though they dont have gov. aid, or do we just not? Also has anyone been denied private loans for medical school?
Nope, you do not need to fill out the FAFSA for any reason. I have not heard of any students here being "turned down" for private loans. Almost every single lender out there is happy to give a medical student loans, because they know the earning potential of the individual after medical school and therefore see it as a sound investment. For this past year, your options were to pay out of pocket, HPSP through the military, scholarships through other 3rd party organizations, or take loans from Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. As a company, Wells Fargo has decided to completely abandon the student loan program, this is not unique to ICOM. All schools across the country that had them as an option this past year will not have them as an option going forward. We are working right now on securing another private loan lender apart from Sallie Mae so you have options, but that news on who the new lender is has not been made public yet. But I know that we are already deep into talks with a couple of them. Keep in mind though, at least for me, the rate that I was able to get on a Wells Fargo loan was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the federal rate offered through FAFSA. The rate you get on a private loan is 100% dependent on your current credit score.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, you do not need to fill out the FAFSA for any reason. I have not heard of any students here being "turned down" for private loans. Almost every single lender out there is happy to give a medical student loans, because they know the earning potential of the individual after medical school and therefore see it as a sound investment. For this past year, your options were to pay out of pocket, HPSP through the military, scholarships through other 3rd party organizations, or take loans from Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. As a company, Wells Fargo has decided to completely abandon the student loan program, this is not unique to ICOM. All schools across the country that had them as an option this past year will not have them as an option going forward. We are working right now on securing another private loan lender apart from Sallie Mae so you have options, but that news on who the new lender is has not been made public yet. But I know that we are already deep into talks with a couple of them. Keep in mind though, at least for me, the rate that I was able to get on a Wells Fargo loan was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the federal rate offered through FAFSA. The rate you get on a private loan is 100% dependent on your current credit score.
Thanks so much!

Is it true that tuition is going to go up?

Declining my seat here, best of luck to you all!

• Love
Is it true that tuition is going to go up?
Pretty much every school across the country, every single year seems to raise the cost of tuition every year. It is unknown whether that is going to happen this year yet or not. The prices of tuition come out around April-June I believe and we won't know until then.

Do you guys know what their policy on thank you emails is? Did you send a thank you email after your interview? I had my interview today.

Do you guys know what their policy on thank you emails is? Did you send a thank you email after your interview? I had my interview today.
My interviewers explicitly told me that I could shoot them an email by looking them up on the website staff page.

got an II just now! they're scheduling out to march, but there are still avail dates in february!

• Care
I interviewed Tuesday, got a waitlist email today. Keeping my fingers crossed for a future A.

Do you (or anyone else) know how the waitlist works? Do they accept people off of the waitlist while they are still interviewing or do they wait until mid may go start accepting people? And will we get our rank?

Truly I don’t know. I think I’ll email them and ask. I know a few of the students here - they are doing their clinical rotations at the hospital I work at. One of them said their class had 50% of the class off the waitlist. However, with them having so many deposits already (140+) I bet it will be a different scenario this year. Just keeping my hope alive regardless!

Truly I don’t know. I think I’ll email them and ask. I know a few of the students here - they are doing their clinical rotations at the hospital I work at. One of them said their class had 50% of the class off the waitlist. However, with them having so many deposits already (140+) I bet it will be a different scenario this year. Just keeping my hope alive regardless!
I believe they have 3 groups of applicants at this point:
Bucket 1 - Accepted Students. These students have outright accepted or are sitting on an offer. They may have made a deposit but still can "drop" and a bunch likely will from what I understand. (~140+ in this bucket per the previous post)
Bucket 2 - Students that will be accepted but are in limbo waiting on another student from Bucket 1 to drop their acceptance and make a seat available.
Bucket 3 - Waitlist students which they will rank and utilize as needed after interview season concludes and things are more concrete with the first 2 buckets. How deep the school goes down the waitlist depends on what happens with the first 2 buckets and continued melt.

Welcome to Let's Talk About ICOM 2: Electric Boogaloo. My original post went up 6 months ago, but I thought it's worth updating and sharing for our DO friends applying this cycle. Hopefully, this one is a little more eloquent than the first time around. So, let's talk about ICOM...again.

Introduction + Disclaimer
For those who are unaware, the Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM) is a relatively new private, for-profit medical school in Meridian, Idaho. Their inaugural class will be entering their 3rd year and begin rotations in the Fall of 2020. It is not fully accredited by COCA and ineligible for federal loans at the time of this posting.
A lot of people have asked me: "Why do you care?". Guesses have been made that I'm a bitter applicant who was rejected. No, just a loser with too much time on his hands in self-isolation. The purpose of this post and its predecessor are to dissuade applicants from this sketchy program the same way premeds dissuade applicants from going Caribbean.
But why ICOM specifically? I grew up literally down the road of the new ICOM campus and have followed its development prudently since its inception. Four of my mentors (2 orthopedists, one pathologist, one FM, all members of the Idaho Medical Association) introduced me to ICOM in the earliest stages of its planning back in 2016. They were very disgruntled with the school's founders for reasons I will explain later, and these concerns were echoed as I've spoken with other physicians, local hospital administrators, and UW/WWAMI administrators. Most premeds would never be able to find this information on their own, so I think it's worth sharing and I'd like to help everyone make an informed decision.
You can, and most likely will, be a doctor after attending this school. I'm not even denying that you will be a good doctor after attending this school. But why attend this school when there are 140+ objectively better choices out there? This school might one day be good, even great, but let someone else work out the bugs.
Bonus disclaimer: This is not an MD/DO debate. I care more about your personal character than the two characters behind your name.

Part 1 - Breaking News: New, For-Profit Schools Are Risky
Let's start with the more general, less upsetting complaints about ICOM. These aren't specific to ICOM, but bear with me.
ICOM is subject to the same pitfalls of many new, for-profit medical schools. New schools are always a gamble. Like when investing in stocks, it's important to do your research and see if these schools are worth investing in and betting your future on.
High seat deposits demand ~$1600 on acceptance (previously $2,000). Interviews and acceptances are sent early and fast so you will pay before MD schools get a hold of you. Many WWAMI applicants this year and last were faced with the decision to pay the deposit or risk getting into UW afterwards.
Lack of accreditation doesn't mean much at this point on its own. However, until accreditation happens, there are no federal student loans (which are more favorable) and no loan deferment. For the financially inclined, this will be a problem when Sallie Mae starts demanding payment and you can't pay it off with services like NHSC.
I also just want to include that ICOM was also launched by investor Dan Burrell, of Burrell College of Medicine (or BCOM). This is the same BCOM with a 25% attrition rate (2020) and 9% failed COMLEX twice. This is not damning to ICOM specifically, but it's not a good look either.
As with most new schools, this one has pretty terrible rotations and almost no GME connections or opportunities. These topics will require a little more scrutiny in new paragraphs with wacky titles.

Part 2 - Put Me Out of My Missouri
It's not uncommon for 3rd year medical students to rotate away from their home institution to nearby hospitals. That's normal and even encouraged, especially as you reach 4th year. It is less normal to leave your city and more so to leave your state for basic clinical rotations.
Interested applicants, please take a look at their clinical rotations here.
2/3 of ICOM students this year will be traveling upwards of 500 miles to North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, and New York for their core rotations. Only about 1/3 actually stay within 200 miles of the school. This is both absurd and cruel to existing students, especially considering there is no assistance with housing or transport to these locations at this time. Placement is based on a lottery system.
Why else does this matter? Well, it's my time to shine as a local inter-hospital employee.
The difference in rotations between, say, UW or Utah and ICOMs core rotations is case complexity and abundance. At University of Utah, you will see complex cases, traumas, pediatrics, burns, rare disorders all in one facility system, all in one day. Your exposure to different specialties, research, and complex patients is the best in the region.
Rotations in Idaho mean you will only see burns in EIRMC (Idaho Falls), traumas at St. Al's (West Boise), pediatrics at St. Luke's (Downtown Boise), and many of our complex cases are shipped to UW (Seattle) or Utah (Salt Lake). My job requires I'm very familiar with all these facilities. No single Idaho facility has the capability or credentials to take on all of these types of patients. As a student, this is NOT okay. You are paying top dollar for this exposure. Why shortchange yourself?

Part 3 - GEM talks about GME
Let's walk through a scenario as an ICOM student.
Congratulations. You've managed to get through your rotations (wherever they may be), passed your STEPs, and crushed COMLEX. Time to match.
You're in luck! There are about 41 primary care residency slots in Idaho, and you are one of the few students who rotated through those locations! Wowie!
Alas, you're also competing with the 161 other students who graduated from ICOM, as well as the many competitive UW Seattle students, 60+ WWAMI Idaho students, and 10 University of Utah students who also rotated through there. NOW THERE ARE OVER 75 APPLICANTS (Many MD) PER ONE RESIDENCY SLOT IN IDAHO. *Gulp*

Being familiar with residency PDs via your rotations is a huge advantage when matching. As an Idaho student, you'll likely know the programs and want to apply to residencies here, but the fact of the matter is you're not likely to make it.
Again, this isn't an MD/DO debate, but you're not going to be competitive against these MD students that have historically have rotated through these residencies for longer and are heavily incentivized to stay as physicians in Idaho - a state ranked 49th in physicians per capita.
This is also an issue as ICOM also promised new residency slots in Idaho as part of their mission to decrease the physician shortage *in Idaho*. Since then, they've been silent on this goal and have contracted with a Montana health system to create residencies instead. They plan on opening only 78 residency slots, although there is no confirmed date they will be available, and again, it's not enough to cover the 150+ students they have. Source

Part 4 - The Lack of Transparency Is Apparent
This is by far the most important part in this series. ICOM has a baffling number of red flags and a very shady past.
I can not recommend this article enough. Seriously, read it.
Before Idaho, the Burrell Group (a group of investors wishing to create a medical school), were rejected from making the school in Montana. Naturally, Idaho was their next best bet as a vulnerable state with no official medical school, aside from WWAMI/UW.

- The Bozeman Daily Chronicle on why ICOM (planned to be MCOM) was rejected from Montana
Since its inception, ICOM has upset members of the Idaho Medical Association and local hospitals with a lack of transparency on its budget, plans for rotations, amount of investment, etc. This is beyond sketchy for what should be public information, especially as the state has promised tax breaks to the COM in expectation that it will bring in money to the local economy.
Idaho's (now) former governor, Butch Otter, approved the creation of ICOM under the assumption that it would bring residencies and more physicians to Idaho. As stated previously, this isn't going to happen.
The inaugural dean of ICOM, Robert Hasty, made a hasty retreat from ICOM after only 3 years to help build a new for-profit school in Kansas. Insert surprised pikachu face.
Today, ICOM has become something of an inside joke for practicing Idaho physicians. Many agree that Idaho needs more doctors, but ICOM is not going to help. A great opinion piece was written about them here.

Part 5 - Going for Broke
I want to conclude by circling back on the fact that this school is a for-profit institution. Unlike a state university and like a Caribbean institution, the school does not want to invest in itself or in you. Rotations are far away because it's going to the cheapest locations. The Montana Medical Association did not trust the intentions of the founders of ICOM. Finally, the ICOM is under consideration as being a less-than-stellar investment and may not make returns as planned. Source
Your education is not their priority. Physician shortages are not their priority. Honesty is not their priority.
In order to make profits, the school has concrete plans to double its class size to 324 students by 2034. An increase of 54 students, every four years. Remember how there are 41 primary care residency slots? Do the math. Source (Page 10)
Medical school is not and will not be the rest of your life, but does play a major role it. You deserve better. Go somewhere else.
I don‘t understand the beef with for-profit vs non-for-profit education. I think this argument is pointless and shows lack of insight into individuals understanding or (honesty with themselves) with the fact that ALL higher education in America is about money and big business. Tax status (for-profit and non for profit) is just a schema of reporting to the IRS. The fact that people actually believe or imply that non-for-profit insitutations are better or somehow more “moral” is a lie (to themselves). Take it from someone who has worked in many hospital systems (for-profit or non-for profit) since 18 yr of age (I’m old BTW compared to most med school applicants). IT DOESN’T MATTER. They are all equally aggressive with tuition or worker’s compensation/wages. The tax status has NOTHING to do with quality or morality of the institution. Undergraduate education cost has increased to almost 700% over 20 years along with graduate or post graduate education. This has nothing to do with tax status. It has everything to do with supply, demand, and government subsidy.

The first class just entered rotations. Everyone is going quit well and thats coming from someone with experience (me) . Your personal vendetta against ICOM is telling, and coming from someone with anecdotal hear-say from a few physicians in the area that are not representative of a true sample physician population.

The first thing you need to do (“GEM”) is get into medical school, then complete medical school, then get into residency, then get board certified, then practice before you start giving prospective students when and where to apply. Its really hard to get into any medical school. Applications have increased over 17% in the past two years. Telling prospective students where to apply when competition is fierce is damaging to their long term goals, which is my primary beef with this post. All medical schools have to meet a standard regardless of their tax status. If an individual is lucky enough to get accepted into multiple schools, then they have the luxury of dissecting the minutiae of those institutions (rotation sites, tuition cost, tax status, ect..). Of course, when applying to school every applicant needs to be critical to some degree, but discouraging them from applying to ICOM is just stupid. It meets the high standard and yes, some students have to rotate away from Idaho. The alternative is not getting into a school in the state or nearby states, or just not getting to medical school period. Your implying that is better to wait a year or two, which is equally very obtuse. It takes 12-14 years to produce a board certified physician. Unless your 20 years old, there is no time to waste.

From someone who is a student...just get in. Get the education. Idaho is a great place to live and the people are really nice here. All of my precepectors have been respectful and receptive to me. You will get a good education at ICOM and a real degree. Take it from someone with real work and academic experience, there will always be politics at every institution, medical environment, and hospital system. It never goes away. It is a part of your life in medicine. Do not attend a school because of some post from someone you have never met who doesn’t attend the institution-its irresponsible and a real disservice to your education. Be critical and do your research on all schools you get invited for an interview. Be diligent. Don’t judge an insitution because of its profit or non profit status or some disgruntled physicians (they don’t represent the majority). That exist everywhere.

Come and visit and form your own opinion. Decide for yourself... don’t let “GEM“ decide for you.

I just got sent a secondary invite to here after submitting through AACOMAS on December 26.... are they trying to get a secondary app fee off of me or is it worth filling out even at this point?

I just got sent a secondary invite to here after submitting through AACOMAS on December 26.... are they trying to get a secondary app fee off of me or is it worth filling out even at this point?
They are pretty holistic... go for it

I don‘t understand the beef with for-profit vs non-for-profit education. I think this argument is pointless and shows lack of insight into individuals understanding or (honesty with themselves) with the fact that ALL higher education in America is about money and big business. Tax status (for-profit and non for profit) is just a schema of reporting to the IRS. The fact that people actually believe or imply that non-for-profit insitutations are better or somehow more “moral” is a lie (to themselves). Take it from someone who has worked in many hospital systems (for-profit or non-for profit) since 18 yr of age (I’m old BTW compared to most med school applicants). IT DOESN’T MATTER. They are all equally aggressive with tuition or worker’s compensation/wages. The tax status has NOTHING to do with quality or morality of the institution. Undergraduate education cost has increased to almost 700% over 20 years along with graduate or post graduate education. This has nothing to do with tax status. It has everything to do with supply, demand, and government subsidy.

The first class just entered rotations. Everyone is going quit well and thats coming from someone with experience (me) . Your personal vendetta against ICOM is telling, and coming from someone with anecdotal hear-say from a few physicians in the area that are not representative of a true sample physician population.

The first thing you need to do (“GEM”) is get into medical school, then complete medical school, then get into residency, then get board certified, then practice before you start giving prospective students when and where to apply. Its really hard to get into any medical school. Applications have increased over 17% in the past two years. Telling prospective students where to apply when competition is fierce is damaging to their long term goals, which is my primary beef with this post. All medical schools have to meet a standard regardless of their tax status. If an individual is lucky enough to get accepted into multiple schools, then they have the luxury of dissecting the minutiae of those institutions (rotation sites, tuition cost, tax status, ect..). Of course, when applying to school every applicant needs to be critical to some degree, but discouraging them from applying to ICOM is just stupid. It meets the high standard and yes, some students have to rotate away from Idaho. The alternative is not getting into a school in the state or nearby states, or just not getting to medical school period. Your implying that is better to wait a year or two, which is equally very obtuse. It takes 12-14 years to produce a board certified physician. Unless your 20 years old, there is no time to waste.

From someone who is a student...just get in. Get the education. Idaho is a great place to live and the people are really nice here. All of my precepectors have been respectful and receptive to me. You will get a good education at ICOM and a real degree. Take it from someone with real work and academic experience, there will always be politics at every institution, medical environment, and hospital system. It never goes away. It is a part of your life in medicine. Do not attend a school because of some post from someone you have never met who doesn’t attend the institution-its irresponsible and a real disservice to your education. Be critical and do your research on all schools you get invited for an interview. Be diligent. Don’t judge an insitution because of its profit or non profit status or some disgruntled physicians (they don’t represent the majority). That exist everywhere.

Come and visit and form your own opinion. Decide for yourself... don’t let “GEM“ decide for you.
I love when Gem tries to upset the new applicants and gets immediately shut down.

Went from Bucket 2 to Bucket 1 and got the official A this morning!

• Haha