2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ayeeee Waitlisted gang lets go. @DOctor.to.be if it makes you feel better, I was waitlisted at every school I interviewed. My first interview was in September, and when I called they told me I will have to wait and most movement will be in May/June. Imagine my HR. I turned into a stoic and now am desensitized to application adversity which I take as a good thing but preparing myself for another cycle because I do not want to rely on a chance. In this case, I would first advise to relax a bit but later on if no word is given prepare for another application. Likewise do know they interviewed more people than normal so we really have to wait till spring for any significant movement as this cycle has been shafted from the whole COVID-19 situation with people mass interviewing.
I appreciate it. This helps. I need to work on the stoicism as well. It’s just such a let down giving it 4 years of hell to come to this. Thanks for reaching out!

Members don't see this ad.

Also waitlisted. Good luck to the rest of you! Pretty disappointed.
+1, sounds like there is a decent amount of WL movement so that is somewhat encouraging. Good luck to the rest of the 12/7 folks and congrats to those who got that A!

Does anyone know if most of their waitlist movement starts in May or is there a chance there may be movement before that? I'm currently waitlisted here and Touro Nevada, those were my only 2 interviews so it's really tough to only be sitting on those 2 for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got what I think is the weirdest acceptance of my life.... "The Admissions Committee met to make their final decisions and though they would like to offer you a seat in our Class of 2025, we are limited on the amount of offers we can extend. This does not mean you have been placed on our Wait List. Since we have deposit deadlines happening every week we will have seats to offer other accepted students such as yourself!"

interesting. So I've been accepted, but not officially? not yet?
Yes, I think that's what it means based on what they told us in the interview!

Also WL! This sounds like a very large waitlist, just based on how many WL's were given out today? That makes me nervous!

Also WL! This sounds like a very large waitlist, just based on how many WL's were given out today? That makes me nervous!
Just spoke with the director of admissions and they filled the seats fast this year. I think that’s why we are seeing so many in the wait list.

it sounds like high medium and low rankings of the waitlist will be done around January/February and we will be informed as that happens. Lots have been pulled off in years past but I am starting to doubt that even being on WL high I would stand a chance due to the date and volume of applicants.

too bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I think that's what it means based on what they told us in the interview!
+1. Spoke with admissions. As odd as it sounds, the offer is a firm offer of admission. It is just not "official" because the school is limited (perhaps under COCA guidelines?) as to how many admits they can have outstanding at one time. But even for a relatively new school such as ICOM, this is not their first rodeo. They probably have a very high attrition rate that peaks at deadlines for seat deposits. I imagine there will be a lot of withdraws by 12/15.

Just spoke with the director of admissions and they filled the seats fast this year. I think that’s why we are seeing so many in the wait list.

it sounds like high medium and low rankings of the waitlist will be done around January/February and we will be informed as that happens. Lots have been pulled off in years past but I am starting to doubt that even being on WL high I would stand a chance due to the date and volume of applicants.

too bad.
Ah, that is good information to know. Thank you for posting this! I share your sentiment of doubt due to date and volume of applicants :(

So I will guess a good number of you all are on the waitlist simply because the class is full. In that case, it just will be a waiting game, and in January time we will know what our ranking is. In the case where too many people are on the waitlist, then most possibly your doubts would be valid. The concern from me right now would be the fact that some people are unofficially accepted because that would mean they take priority over even the highest-ranked waitlisted students. This means fewer people on the waitlist would get in. I would not be surprised if it is wise not to rely on this school but we could very well be wrong. We just have to wait and see once the rankings are out. The last thing anyone here needs to be is annoying to the admissions people mass emailing and calling them because already they are going to have to be super selective with the waitlist.
FYI, for those of us who received the "unofficial" letter, ICOM makes it crystal clear that this is NOT a waitlist, but only a technical matter of limits on the number of outstanding acceptances the school is permitted.

oof I interview here next week this makes me nervous 😖

oof I interview here next week this makes me nervous 😖
Yeah, well there is nothing like president Farnsworth jumping on the group meeting and saying, “don’t you worry about interviewing for a spot in the waitlist! You’re all great!”

“now, let’s start with the interviews!”

lol. Yeah you should have seen the faces of all the applicants. Not good. They tried explaining that slip up 3 different times.

you can do it! they have been explaining that there are still spots and as long as you’re not WL or R then you have nothing to worry about.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, well there is nothing like president Farnsworth jumping on the group meeting and saying, “don’t you worry about interviewing for a spot in the waitlist! You’re all great!”

lol. Yeah you should have seen the faces of all the applicants. Not good. They tried explaining that slip up 3 different times.

you can do it! they have been explaining that there are still spots and as long as you’re not WL or R then you have nothing to worry about.
That really made me skeptical about whether or not there were really many spots open for direct acceptances after the interviews. I can't say the WL was toooo much of a shock after hearing that but regardless, we'll just have to see what happens.

After 12/15, there could be movement. There could be movement 1 month from now. Or in May. We just have to be patient and accept that this year is a tough one to apply. Worst case, re-application next year will be the move and due to the increased number of apps this year, it could just be people re-applying with no real improvements to their app. They were the ones who got left behind BECAUSE of the insane number of applicants. Chin up WL gang, we literally have until the summer to officially get a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)

thank you! I will report back next week after my interview

Does anyone know if most of their waitlist movement starts in May or is there a chance there may be movement before that? I'm currently waitlisted here and Touro Nevada, those were my only 2 interviews so it's really tough to only be sitting on those 2 for now.
I think previous posts mentioned WL movement already this cycle. It seems like it's pretty random too. I heard in one of ICOM's videos that last year 71 students were pulled off the waitlist so there's definitely hope!

Reactions: 1 users
Received notice that ICOM acceptance is now official. Assume this reflects attrition post-traffic and school can now officially issue additional acceptances.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
They pulled people they possibly put for hold, no real waitlist movement has occurred so far for people they truly waitlisted. That will happen once the rankings are done, I assume in the next month or so. We will also know which of the 3 groups they have placed us on in the waitlist. The movement will depend on how many people drop out and such but expect the waitlist to be super big this year. That is all the info they gave me.
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

ICOM already filled it’s class, as I understand. So that is why so many are on the waitlist

ICOM already filled it’s class, as I understand. So that is why so many are on the waitlist
Already? Dang I hope that some spots open up as we get further into the cycle. This is one of my top schools

Already? Dang I hope that some spots open up as we get further into the cycle. This is one of my top schools
During my interview this week Rachael (Admissions Coordinator) emphasized that they are "not interviewing for the waitlist" but rather for acceptances as well as waitlist positions. So I'm going to remain hopeful that there are still seats open for this cycle :)

So it looks like they inform you on Friday, at 2 pm eastern time?

Good luck to everyone who hears back today! No matter how things turn out, you’re all BAs for making it this far.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone who interviewed this week hear anything?

GOT AN EMAIL FOR ACCEPTANCEEEEE!!

it was the unofficial acceptance they talked about at the interview but its not a waitlist. SOOO EXCITED

Reactions: 5 users
Also accepted (unofficial) !!!! Beyond stoked bc this is my 3rd application cycle and my first acceptance ever :arghh:

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
alright y'all, now that the excitement of getting accepted has passed, the real question is

how are we all gonna pay for this and to live😂
(COA has only like 16k a year to live? how??)

Hey can any current students talk about their loan experiences? do you feel like the COA is a good amount to live comfortably? if you live with a SO, approx how much a month is your guys budget for everything? (if your comfortable sharing)

Hey can any current students talk about their loan experiences? do you feel like the COA is a good amount to live comfortably? if you live with a SO, approx how much a month is your guys budget for everything? (if your comfortable sharing)
yes please enlighten us newbs

Many current students use Wells Fargo. They have a good interest rate for current bankers, so students usually start banking there. The MedCap loan needs to be submitted by Jan 28th for disbursement in June. So I'd get on that asap.

Many current students use Wells Fargo. They have a good interest rate for current bankers, so students usually start banking there. The MedCap loan needs to be submitted by Jan 28th for disbursement in June. So I'd get on that asap.
I thought wells fargo was no longer doing student loans and it was only for people who already had loans with them that could switch?

II today. Any advice welcome. Feb 23 was earliest date.

Non-trad, military, OOS, 3.45 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA (includes some post-bacc work), 512 MCAT for those interested

2nd year here. I have historically gotten my loans from WF and they've given me good rates. They are not going to be doing loans anymore, so the only option is Sallie Mae which gave me a terrible rate when I applied before my first year. We were notified last week that we won't be getting federal loans this next year like many students thought, but that the first class needed to be graduated first (so one more year, class of '22). From my understanding, if you want loans that give you a deferral during residency, you'll need to do Sallie Mae.

2nd year here. I have historically gotten my loans from WF and they've given me good rates. They are not going to be doing loans anymore, so the only option is Sallie Mae which gave me a terrible rate when I applied before my first year. We were notified last week that we won't be getting federal loans this next year like many students thought, but that the first class needed to be graduated first (so one more year, class of '22). From my understanding, if you want loans that give you a deferral during residency, you'll need to do Sallie Mae.
Are you kidding me?? I didn’t know this. Thank you for telling us!

Withdrew from my seat at ICOM. Hope it goes to one of you guys. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 2 users