2020-2021 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm inclined to agree, but I want to ask: why don't they make that more clear? Is Harvard is really looking for a specific challenge or are they simply trying to prevent people from tokenizing their identity?

I ask because for me, living abroad was a very formative experience, though I never faced any significant barriers due to my background, and it has definitely influenced my desire to pursue medicine.
I don't have a great answer for you. Some medical schools definitely do -- intentionally or unintentionally -- obfuscate the underlying intent of their questions.

But I think Harvard does make it clear, to an extent, with this question. The schools that have a generic diversity/what makes you unique prompt typically make it a required question, and can do so because you can really answer it in any way. This Harvard prompt is more specific than that because it asks about barriers faced due to identity or background, and accordingly it is an optional prompt, not a required one, because it will simply not apply to everyone. And, to reinforce this, HMS explicitly states "Many applicants will not need to answer this question."

Any time a medical school explicitly states "many people won't answer this question" it is, to me, another way of saying we REALLY mean it when we say this is optional, so don't waste our time if this doesn't apply to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I think at this point in the process they don't really care why you want to go to HMS. It's the best school in the country, and they know everyone who applies wants to go there.

So I wouldn't worry about needing to incorporate "why HMS," and I wouldn't try to do so, either.
do you think that's good general advice for most secondaries? a good number of my school don't ask "why us", and they all range in tier

do you think that's good general advice for most secondaries? a good number of my school don't ask "why us", and they all range in tier
I think it depends and there probably isn't a right answer. If a school has an "anything else" prompt and you feel strongly about that particular school, then you might wish to write about your interest in that school. But my personal opinion is that generally if a school doesn't have a "Why Us" prompt then it's not necessary to shoehorn it in somewhere. Others will disagree with me, and that's fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it's late to submit a secondary? I didn't think I would apply here, but I might have changed my mind. Any help appreciated.
They don't start extending interviews til September, so if you have the money to do so then I say might as well lol

I don't think any of us have that answer, but what I will say is that I believe schools will extend more grace due to the pandemic...and are probably behind themselves. So if there's any year to submit a bit late, I'm guessing it's now.

They responded to my email with this very question with this response

"Harvard Medical School does not use “rolling admissions,” so you may file your secondary application any time before midnight on November 9, 2020 without concern that the timing of your submission will affect your chances of acceptance"

If this is true, how are they submitting interview invites in September? I am extremely confused right now, if someone could help me out.

They will extend IIs starting in September but won’t extended acceptances until March so it is “non-rolling” meaning it theoretically shouldn’t matter when you interview.

Okay, so based on that, am I correct in assuming that as long as I submit my primary and secondary before the stated deadline, then my chances are not diminished? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
I think the prevailing advice is that earlier is never going to hurt your chances, as long as it's a quality application, but later might. They do start extending invites in September, so at the very least, you will have access to fewer possible interview dates the later you submit. Their "non-rolling" admissions means that they interview everyone they're going to interview before making final acceptance offers, but that doesn't mean an app submitted in July is equal to an app submitted in November.

With that said, I think if you submitted within the next couple of weeks, you'd probably be fine. I wouldn't wait until midnight on November 9th though. Lol

@mywayhighway59 : some top schools started sending out II's already, hms i think starts sept and hopefully most of the others do too (for those of us who are sort of behind lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that graduated this year, do you also feel like you haven't done anything significant since then because of the pandemic? I literally was stuck just studying for my postponed MCAT and applying to some programs that start later... not sure how to use up space for the first question?

any advice is appreciated! :/

For those that graduated this year, do you also feel like you haven't done anything significant since then because of the pandemic? I literally was stuck just studying for my postponed MCAT and applying to some programs that start later... not sure how to use up space for the first question?

any advice is appreciated! :/
I was able to continue volunteering and doing research "remotely" but I think you should be honest and put down that you have been studying for your MCAT. I would throw in maybe new hobbies/skills/interests you've picked up to make you seem more human. I'm sure an adcom doesnt expect much from someone who just graduated especially with the pandemic going (volunteering + job hiring freezes). If you want, you could tell them what you intend on doing for your gap year but I feel like they are not going to be too pressed or picky on this question

• Care
I was able to continue volunteering and doing research "remotely" but I think you should be honest and put down that you have been studying for your MCAT. I would throw in maybe new hobbies/skills/interests you've picked up to make you seem more human. I'm sure an adcom doesnt expect much from someone who just graduated especially with the pandemic going (volunteering + job hiring freezes). If you want, you could tell them what you intend on doing for your gap year but I feel like they are not going to be too pressed or picky on this question

Thank you so much for your help! That response made me feel a lot better lol :)

Reactions: 1 users
Sunday morning is the popular time to do systems maintenance.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those getting interviews!! And, for those of you who haven't heard anything yet, don't worry! Harvard has always taken their time to go through apps and the timing of the interview truly does not correlate with your chance of getting in (at Harvard, at least). Last year (and in past years), they sent interview invites totally pretty regionally (people in the Boston area getting them first, I believe). They might be doing something similar this year. Just take a deep breath and go for a walk and eat your favorite food and love and laugh and everything will be okay!

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
II!!!!!!! LM 75, 518, 3.93, ORM. Complete 7/25. I really don't understand but I'll take it

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Do you think that the death of a parent during high school would qualify for the second prompt?

definitely! I can’t imagine how incredibly tough that experience is and the admissions committee should see how far you’ve come since.

Hey guys. I decided to finally add this school yesterday lmao, just submitted it today, and I have two questions:
1) idk why but the letters tab shows as incomplete even tho it says received. Anyone have any insight on this?
2) am i at any disadvantage applying this late? I know its nonrolling but do i have less of a chance for II?

1) there's some glitchy **** with all the check marks. If your primary was verified and sent, it'll all iron out eventually. If not, you can call Admissions and confirm receipt of the LORs.
2) no the general consensus is you're not at a disadvantage. Everyone: HMS, current students, etc all say that sit tight it can take months for you to hear back but if/when you do, you're still considered regardless of first app in vs labor day app vs whatever.
Ahhh thanks so much for the helpful reply! As a follow up, how long do you think I should wait to reach out to admissions about this?

I would finish the secondary if you haven't already. If you get a "Your On-Line Application has been received" email, you're good. If you don't and you get something like "Received but waiting on..." then I feel I would want to dig in further.
Thanks a bunch! It resolved itself. I was just being impatient hahaha.

For re-applicants, what is the difference between the ‘what have you done since your last app’ prompt vs ‘what have you done since graduation’ prompt if it is the same time period? Do I just put the same thing?

I'm not even applying here since I'm WAY under-qualified lol, but y'all getting II's to the top med school in this country is such an amazing feat! I wish I could meet some of y'all one day haha.

Submitted just now! Longshot if I've ever seen one BUT it's my dream school. Shooters shoot.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
have any reapplicants ever gotten in here? they don't seem to like them that much but i hope i'm wrong. interviewed last cycle but got a R, reapplying with a substantially stronger app this time though (i think). still not expecting much but hoping i'm not dinged just b/c I'm reapplying

Last edited:
have any reapplicants ever gotten in here? they don't seem to like them that much but i hope i'm wrong. interviewed last cycle but got a R, reapplying with a substantially stronger app this time though (i think). still not expecting much but hoping i'm not dinged just b/c I'm reapplying
you added more research?

You interviewed last cycle at HMS but didn't get an acceptance anywhere?

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
omgggg interview invite just now!! its my bday too so this is one heck of a present!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
omgggg interview invite just now!! its my bday too so this is one heck of a present!!!!!

This is your wildest birthday ever. Nothing will compare to the year you got an interview for HMS during a pandemic. Congratulations!!!! and Happy BDAY!

Also when were you complete?

• Love
This is your wildest birthday ever. Nothing will compare to the year you got an interview for HMS during a pandemic. Congratulations!!!! and Happy BDAY!

Also when were you complete?
THANKS SO SO MUCH :love: I was complete 7/16!!

Reactions: 2 users
HST II but Pathways pre-II R just now

Reactions: 5 users
Wow - they send for those two separately?
I got both emails at the same time so I think it was coordinated. My app was reviewed separately by both programs though.

I didnt know they started sending out rejections, yikes
I think it was just a formality - they said that the final decision will be made in March but its unlikely to change.

I got both emails at the same time so I think it was coordinated. My app was reviewed separately by both programs though.

I think it was just a formality - they said that the final decision will be made in March but its unlikely to change.

When were you complete?

So then can we assume that Harvard won't send official Rs until March?

Does anyone know how many HST candidates are interviewed per year?

Does anyone know how many HST candidates are interviewed per year?

In this video from 2014 at least, they say they get 1200 HST applications for 170 interviews (14%), for 30 acceptances (18%) (though now I think it's ~30 matriculants, so I don't know if that's what they meant in the first place or if they've increased how many acceptances they give -- assuming they don't have 100% yield).

Edit: they say in general, they get 6000 apps for 933 interviews (16%), to 219 acceptances (23%). Since people can apply both HST and Pathways, I don't know how Pathways breaks down specifically.

Source: timestamp 2:14

Last edited: