2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, is it too late to apply here you think? I've finished my list of schools, but I have some extra $$$ left and looking to add a few more schools... I know WCMC is a top institution, and wondering if it's simply too late to apply?

Thanks!

If you can finish that secondary before labor day and send it in, then why not

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II!!

Random T/R throughout September, but I couldn't make it to the ones they listed, and they were really accommodating when I asked for a later date.
did you just respond with your own dates + AM/PM/Either?

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
To those who sent an ITA email, any advice on how to phrase it?? I'm there for another interview but don't know if I should say that or just simply say i'm ITA lol...All of the sudden this seems awkward to send.

Hello everyone,
I'll attend an interview at Cornell pretty soon, and I was wondering if any WCMC student could answer a few questions that I have about the school. If so, can I pm you?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
I'll attend an interview at Cornell pretty soon, and I was wondering if any WCMC student could answer a few questions that I have about the school. If so, can I pm you?

Same can you please PM Me

I’ll be happy to answer any questions :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. What do you feel are some of the unique aspects of cornell? How is the PBL curriculum actually implemented? How are the volunteer/service opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll be happy to answer any questions :)
how easy is it to get involved in the music program? What is life like for a med student in Manhattan? Are PIs/mentors accessible for research and professional guidance?

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. What do you feel are some of the unique aspects of cornell? How is the PBL curriculum actually implemented? How are the volunteer/service opportunities?
Location = opportunity, both within and outside the medical community. Additionally, we have the major partners for research opportunity. PBL are typically chill, low stress. Volunteer and service opps are abundant.

Grats on the interviews everyone! And to those waiting—there are people in our class who interviewed as late as February so we’re still really early in the cycle.

Also just popping in to say that admissions doesn’t really advertise this, but if you’re coming in from far away there are plenty of students who are happy to host. Send admissions an email and they can set you up with somewhere to stay. Med school app season can get pretty expensive, so save money where you can haha

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Another current student chiming in here! I also personally know people who got accepted with February interviews - that’s the beauty of non-rolling admissions!

Feel free to reach out with any Q’s - I’ll answer stuff to the best of my ability! Good luck to y’all and hope to see you around campus for interviews/revisit!

Reactions: 6 users
Grats on the interviews everyone! And to those waiting—there are people in our class who interviewed as late as February so we’re still really early in the cycle.

Also just popping in to say that admissions doesn’t really advertise this, but if you’re coming in from far away there are plenty of students who are happy to host. Send admissions an email and they can set you up with somewhere to stay. Med school app season can get pretty expensive, so save money where you can haha
Another current student chiming in here! I also personally know people who got accepted with February interviews - that’s the beauty of non-rolling admissions!

Feel free to reach out with any Q’s - I’ll answer stuff to the best of my ability! Good luck to y’all and hope to see you around campus for interviews/revisit!

Not a question, but thank you both for the reassurance! I didn't get to this secondary until later in the cycle, but after doing more research, I'm really excited about this school and its curriculum and would be honored to get an interview from here!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any advice how to properly format an ITA email? So if I was interviewing a Friday or Monday at another nyc school would I just tell them in in the area that Tuesday or Thursday? Also should I tell them I’m there for another interview?

Major *big news energy* announcement/event from the dean this this coming Monday, big enough that all students are given an excused absence to attend. Keep your eyes peeled.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
Major *big news energy* announcement/event from the dean this this coming Monday, big enough that all students are given an excused absence to attend. Keep your eyes peeled.

Do you have a link or copy of the newsletter? I'm so interested

Do you have a link or copy of the newsletter? I'm so interested
4C1D0E93-8AC5-48B7-8A0F-F28D23D52738.png
FA0C3051-AAA2-443B-B327-A0250F256042.png

Attachments

• 7D8FF588-EF97-4C8B-ABC3-4F3B7CAA2481.png
    7D8FF588-EF97-4C8B-ABC3-4F3B7CAA2481.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 97CF6BB5-E108-4D0E-A26E-608534A73185.png
    97CF6BB5-E108-4D0E-A26E-608534A73185.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

"commitment to its students"
okay that settles it, this is totally a scholarship/financial aid announcement. I'm pumped

Reactions: 8 users
As if my chances of getting in here weren't already low smh...

Reactions: 4 users
"commitment to its students"
okay that settles it, this is totally a scholarship/financial aid announcement. I'm pumped
You think Cornell might be making an NYU type of move? I know that would be pretty out there, but I remember thinking that other medical schools might follow their lead when they first announced their free tuition.

For those who have received interviews here and at other schools, please enter your data and dates in the above awesome tracker made by @limeyguydr so that we can all benefit from each other's experiences and info!

You think Cornell might be making an NYU type of move? I know that would be pretty out there, but I remember thinking that other medical schools might follow their lead when they first announced their free tuition.

I imagine they might be announcing something like debt-free tuition instead of completely free tuition

debt free tuition?! ahhhh
Can someone explain to me how debt free tuition actually works. My parents are wealthy enough that my financial aid is practically nothing but I plan on covering med school on my own aka massive loans

It basically means that the institutional loans you are awarded based on financial need become institutional grants. In theory, it eliminates debt, but for many people who don't get assistance from parents, they will still have to take out loans in all likelihood.

Can someone explain to me how debt free tuition actually works. My parents are wealthy enough that my financial aid is practically nothing but I plan on covering med school on my own aka massive loans
From what I understand they do (cost of attendance) - (estimated family contribution) = x amount, and whereas you’d usually have to take out loans a for that x amount, they’ll just cover it in institutional grants. Not sure if they’re gonna do debt free tuition or entire cost of attendance, though

Did anyone who interviewed here send a thank you letter? I don't know if it's appropriate or not or whether this school welcomes that kind of thing.

Did anyone who interviewed here send a thank you letter? I don't know if it's appropriate or not or whether this school welcomes that kind of thing.
There is no such thing as school not liking it. It is good practice to send thank you notes if you can find emails for your interviewers.

One of my interviewers gave me his email, the other did not. So he got a thank you email, the other did not. I personally think it would’ve been weird to go digging for the other persons email if he didn’t offer it

One of my interviewers gave me his email, the other did not. So he got a thank you email, the other did not. I personally think it would’ve been weird to go digging for the other persons email if he didn’t offer it
You can also just email the admissions office and ask them to forward one to the interviewer you don't have the email address of.

I don't even go to Cornell and I'm excited to hear about their announcement :corny:

You can also just email the admissions office and ask them to forward one to the interviewer you don't have the email address of.
Agreed! A school I interviewed at said not to do this so I took their advice. And another school said not to bother with thank you notes (although they were MMIs)

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed! A school I interviewed at said not to do this so I took their advice. And another school said not to bother with thank you notes (although they were MMIs)
Yeah, I'm sure the admissions office is busy enough and my interviewers never gave me their email addresses so I guess I'll just not send one.

Dean Choi just tweeted it out, it’s official! Debt free medical education at Cornell going forward!!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 27 users