2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ the WL-ers: Did you guys send updates/LOI's after being placed on the waitlist?
Did you send them to the update email or to the admissions email? I don't want to ask them where I should send it because it seems very inconsequential considering what's going on, but I also want to send it to the right place still. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

@ the WL-ers: Did you guys send updates/LOI's after being placed on the waitlist?
Did you send them to the update email or to the admissions email? I don't want to ask them where I should send it because it seems very inconsequential considering what's going on, but I also want to send it to the right place still. Thanks!
I called them a few weeks ago! they said to send any updates to the update email [email protected]

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Click on the link and it will bring you to the main reddit post.... Seems like this student has tried to run with this story once before and has been discredited... See below:

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students respond to what this poster is claiming?

As you can imagine in these difficult times, not everyone is going to agree with how school administration, employers, government, etc. respond to the COVID crisis. This is just one case where a student was not happy with the school's response regarding suspected cases in student housing. It is just one opinion. At the end of the day, the admin has our best interest in mind and has been working tirelessly to ensure we are making academic progress. If you have additional questions / concerns, please reach out to individual students in FB group (and I encourage you to so you can get different perspectives).

Reactions: 4 users
if the NYC situation doesn’t improve, we wouldn’t even be able to move into dorms right? Meaning we could potentially start med school from home? I know no one knows anything but I’m just hypothetically speaking if things didn’t get better

Honestly, my thoughts exactly. Cornell is one of my top 2 but at this point, I wonder if heading to NYC would even be a smart idea...Especially given that we're likely to see another wave this fall.
I love my family.. but I think I’ll go insane if I have to start medical school in the same room I haven’t left for months

Reactions: 4 users
if the NYC situation doesn’t improve, we wouldn’t even be able to move into dorms right? Meaning we could potentially start med school from home? I know no one knows anything but I’m just hypothetically speaking if things didn’t get better
I know someone starting a PhD at rockefeller and they sent out an email today saying that students should plan to be moved in and ready for orientation in the first week or September. I know it’s a month later and a different institution lol but they are on the same campus as Weill and it could at least give a general idea of what big academic institutions in ny are thinking right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all, I legit love this school, and I'm still on the waiting list, but I honestly don't think I can deal with the cost. :oops:. Remember the time we had waiting to get accepted/rejected/waitlisted? I was really hoping to meet some of you. I have projects that I want to work...with you guys...seems like it just might not be in the cards.

Y'all, I legit love this school, and I'm still on the waiting list, but I honestly don't think I can deal with the cost. :oops:. Remember the time we had waiting to get accepted/rejected/waitlisted? I was really hoping to meet some of you. I have projects that I want to work...with you guys...seems like it just might not be in the cards.
Wonderful people at this school. Based on attendance (~60ish admits) of the revisit I'd highly suspect there to be waitlist movement. But I could also be totally wrong. Hang tight pal.

Wonderful people at this school. Based on attendance (~60ish admits) of the revisit I'd highly suspect there to be waitlist movement. But I could also be totally wrong. Hang tight pal.

I'm optimistic about that, but the cost. I have a scholarship at a T25 with a lower COA. So I don't think I'd be able to turn that down for an expensive ass T15(?)

I'd qualify for some, but my actual family contribution will likely be a lot less than EFC from WC. *Sigh*
Give them a call and they can work with you to estimate the cost of your first year. Just hang in there, since you are on the WL you' dont have to decide for one or the other on the 30th.

does WL movement here usually happen right around early May? can't afford to wait for that long before having to make living arrangements...

does WL movement here usually happen right around early May? can't afford to wait for that long before having to make living arrangements...
From what I’ve seen while reading past threads, most movement happens in the first couple weeks of May.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys didn’t attend second look and was wondering if there were any big things I missed? Did you mention anything about how school will start? Online? Will we be able to move in? Thanks guys

Hey guys didn’t attend second look and was wondering if there were any big things I missed? Did you mention anything about how school will start? Online? Will we be able to move in? Thanks guys
No direct answer - still figuring things out and will no closer to the date. Even if we start online, they don’t intend to cancel any patient interactions I think ... would just give us proper PPE to allow us to continue doing that.

i don’t think anyone asked about moving in

Withdrew from this program! Hope the spot and the $$$ will go to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Hi Everyone I'm a current student from WCM! Sorry for the long post but TLDR: feel free to DM me with ANY questions you have (I'll try to respond to everyone )...I did a quick read of the past 2 pages so I'll just focus on what I can answer:
1) I’ll say now, I do NOT know that much about financial aid the math you all are doing is much more sophisticated than anything I did so I'm probably not the best person to ask about that.
2) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my classmates, everyone is crazy supportive of each other and I honestly don't think there are any "gunners". This is totally not to say there aren't super driven people, but we all support each other in pursuing our passions and there is really NO competition between us! Of course, this is just my opinion, so maybe I've formed this weird protective bubble of happiness around myself :) but I do talk to most of the ppl in my class pretty frequently and I really think it's true! I think this is a mix of pre-clinicals being pass/fail and the administration being so supportive of us! I also think it’s a common theme at a lot of med schools, so no matter where you go I’m sure you’ll find people who are awesome and just want the best for you
3) Regarding the Twitter post/news story… I don’t go to the Town Halls and I didn’t actually listen to to the one they posted either! I think this has been a really difficult time for a lot of people and so please don’t take my comments as speaking for anyone else but myself. That said, I personally feel like everything for me was seamless and am really happy with how the administration made the transition! No one was forced to move out (really important for people who didn’t have a place to go to/had immunocompromised family members at home), those who wanted to move out could AND got their rent back (we didn’t even have to move out our stuff, just had to sign a form saying we were going back home and we’d get a refund). But, as I said, I’m pretty fortunate in that I was able to move back home and so haven’t had the same experience as everyone else.
4) I got into WCM off the waitlist (and I did send an update/letter of interest), feel free to DM me about it! I think it was early May (though, again, COVID may mess things up here)...I’d talk about it more here but the post length is getting a bit ridiculous :)

I’m sure I didn’t cover everything, but to sum it up, I’ve enjoyed so much of my time in med school and I think no matter where you all choose to go, you’ll be surrounded by wonderful, passionate people :) … Good luck everyone

Reactions: 16 users
Hi Everyone I'm a current student from WCM! Sorry for the long post but TLDR: feel free to DM me with ANY questions you have (I'll try to respond to everyone )...I did a quick read of the past 2 pages so I'll just focus on what I can answer:
1) I’ll say now, I do NOT know that much about financial aid the math you all are doing is much more sophisticated than anything I did so I'm probably not the best person to ask about that.
2) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my classmates, everyone is crazy supportive of each other and I honestly don't think there are any "gunners". This is totally not to say there aren't super driven people, but we all support each other in pursuing our passions and there is really NO competition between us! Of course, this is just my opinion, so maybe I've formed this weird protective bubble of happiness around myself :) but I do talk to most of the ppl in my class pretty frequently and I really think it's true! I think this is a mix of pre-clinicals being pass/fail and the administration being so supportive of us! I also think it’s a common theme at a lot of med schools, so no matter where you go I’m sure you’ll find people who are awesome and just want the best for you
3) Regarding the Twitter post/news story… I don’t go to the Town Halls and I didn’t actually listen to to the one they posted either! I think this has been a really difficult time for a lot of people and so please don’t take my comments as speaking for anyone else but myself. That said, I personally feel like everything for me was seamless and am really happy with how the administration made the transition! No one was forced to move out (really important for people who didn’t have a place to go to/had immunocompromised family members at home), those who wanted to move out could AND got their rent back (we didn’t even have to move out our stuff, just had to sign a form saying we were going back home and we’d get a refund). But, as I said, I’m pretty fortunate in that I was able to move back home and so haven’t had the same experience as everyone else.
4) I got into WCM off the waitlist (and I did send an update/letter of interest), feel free to DM me about it! I think it was early May (though, again, COVID may mess things up here)...I’d talk about it more here but the post length is getting a bit ridiculous :)

I’m sure I didn’t cover everything, but to sum it up, I’ve enjoyed so much of my time in med school and I think no matter where you all choose to go, you’ll be surrounded by wonderful, passionate people :) … Good luck everyone
Any chance you can estimate the percentage of students in your class that were from the waitlist? It seems movement last year was a lot less than in previous years due to debt free announcement.

Any chance you can estimate the percentage of students in your class that were from the waitlist? It seems movement last year was a lot less than in previous years due to debt free announcement.

Doesn't seem like there are that many committed students.

Does anyone know about how many students Cornell waitlists ?

Doesn't seem like there are that many committed students.
I believe there are a few factors to consider. NYC is or was the epicenter of COVID-19. People who have a choice of WMC and comparable institutions will likely take that into account. Weill Cornell also was really slow to release financial aid packages and even acceptances. While I love the schools, I did not like the way they dragged out their admissions decisions. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Finally, it looks like the financial aid generously favors low-income or extremely wealthy students. Everyone else is screwed. This is a mistake on their part. In this country, not many people from disadvantaged backgrounds even make it to medical school, let alone a school of Cornell's calibre. This is not to take away from those who have overcome and accomplished amazing things. On the other side of the spectrum, students from wealthy families who are willing to support them (I know it's not always the case) can literally afford to go school anywhere without consideration of the financial burden.

Both of those groups are at the extremes. Most students will be somewhere in the 100K - 300K range. Maybe asking for 10% of their income is reasonable in some cases, but I gather it's often more than that. For people who have to pay for houses, cars, college tuition for other children, etc, maybe 10% is doable. Anything beyond may be **NOT** possible in some cases.
1588260143820.png

Source: https://www.aamc.org/system/files/reports/1/msq2017report.pdf (p. 23)

Perhaps their system for determining EFC doesn't work. But even if I get off the WL, I doubt WCMC will be able to compete with my current cost. I think they should reconsider how they provide aid.

Last edited:

Last year though the announcement came after class had already started

I believe there are a few factors to consider. NYC is or was the epicenter of COVID-19. People who have a choice of WMC and comparable institutions will likely take that into account. Weill Cornell also was really slow to release financial aid packages and even acceptances. While I love the schools, I did not like the way they dragged out their admissions decisions. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Finally, it looks like the financial aid generously favors low-income or extremely wealthy students. Everyone else is screwed. This is a mistake on their part. In this country, not many people from disadvantaged backgrounds even make it to medical school, let alone a school of Cornell's calibre. This is not to take away from those who have overcome and accomplished amazing things. On the other side of the spectrum, students from wealthy families who are willing to support them (I know it's not always the case) can literally afford to go school anywhere without consideration of the financial burden.

Both of those groups are at the extremes. Most students will be somewhere in the 100K - 300K range. Maybe asking for 10% of their income is reasonable in some cases, but I gather it's often more than that. For people who have to pay for houses, cars, college tuition for other children, etc, maybe 10% is doable. Anything beyond may be possible in some cases.
View attachment 304683

Perhaps their system for determining EFC doesn't work. But even if I get off the WL, I doubt WCMC will be able to compete with my current cost. I think they should reconsider how they provide aid.
Mind if I ask where this data is from? It seems crazy that those whose parents income of 300k only get about 15k (EFC?). As opposed to 30k if they make 150k for the 2017 year. Something doesn't look right.

Mind if I ask where this data is from? It seems crazy that those whose parents income of 300k only get about 15k (EFC?). As opposed to 30k if they make 150k for the 2017 year. Something doesn't look right.
This def isn't right because I fit into the middle category and received a very generous aid package

also, debt-free announcement came last year I'm pretty sure... aka our cycle is the first cycle to apply knowing about it. WL movements in the past were unaffected by it

This def isn't right because I fit into the middle category and received a very generous aid package
I didn't specify the numbers on aid. Those were hypothetical. I don't know what EFC is except from very few people have told me.

One example a student shared with me: "a parental income of $300k pre-tax translates to $72k in EFC"

I think there may be some misinterpretation of what I wrote. I'm saying that 10 or 15% of income as EFC may be a reasonable expectation for certain income levels. Anything much more than that is probably on a case-by-case basis. How much should one's family spend on medical school education? It's debatable.

I didn't cite data from any years because I'm not privy to that information, but you pointed out (assuming your data is correct) that 20% of income (presumably what EFC was in 2017) may seem like a lot for some families.

Most schools aren't "debt free"
No not that. OP had a problem that schools "financial aid generously favors low-income or extremely wealthy students" ... like I don't know what schools don't lol. Unless you're getting merit aid, you're likely taking out a majority of loans, unless you come from an "extremely wealthy" background.

Debt free is nice pro to Cornell, but OP seems to be unhappy with it because it only benefits low-income people. But like if Cornell wasn't debt-free, it's not like those are are not low-income and extremely wealthy students would suddenly not have to take out loans ....? lol

I think there may be some misinterpretation of what I wrote. I'm saying that 10 or 15% of income as EFC may be a reasonable expectation for certain income levels. Anything much more than that is probably on a case-by-case basis. How much should one's family spend on medical school education? It's debatable.

I didn't cite data from any years because I'm not privy to that information, but you pointed out (assuming your data is correct) that 20% of income (presumably what EFC was in 2017) may seem like a lot for some families.
Well my data was based on the picture you posted, it's actually not even data just hypothetical examples. I agree, 20% may be a bit high for just income if other assets are considered. However, this is taken case by case, I'm pretty sure many other schools do this as well, and our COA is pretty heavily subsidized already, especially rent. Just some food for thought.

Well my data was based on the picture you posted, it's actually not even data just hypothetical examples. I agree, 20% may be a bit high for just income if other assets are considered. However, this is taken case by case, I'm pretty sure many other schools do this as well, and our COA is pretty heavily subsidized already, especially rent. Just some food for thought.
Oh dear! That is AAMC data, not Weill Cornell data. I should have made that clear.

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/reports/1/msq2017report.pdf (p. 23)

I didn't specify the numbers on aid. Those were hypothetical. I don't know what EFC is except from very few people have told me.

One example a student shared with me: "a parental income of $300k pre-tax translates to $72k in EFC"
EFC is based on both income and assets (excluding home equity and retirement).
Your example would need to know parent assets and student assets.
I believe student assets are spent across the four years.
Parental assets probably run ~5%+ per year.
Higher end of income, my guess goes up to 33%+ of parental income.
Neither of which are realistic when there are other siblings to also put through undergrad and need to save for retirement.

medical mamba is right, most of the upper half of that income table are borrowing full cost of attendance. Using the above example....
- someone earning 300k/yr will likely want at least $3M to retire on $150k/yr (half of working income and still taxable). How do they save $3M when FAFSA wants them to pay for full undergrad for three kids (3kids X 4yr X 72kb/yr) spending about $850K on undergrad schooling. Considering taxes on $300k are about 33% (fed and state), take home is $200k/yr. Saving for retirement, if you assume at least 3x growth of investing, you still need to save $30k/yr over 30 years. This leave 170k for family of five. How could they afford another $400k for med school. This is why medical mamba is right, most of the upper half of that income table are borrowing full cost of attendance.

Last edited:
Hey! actually have no idea I know a handful are that I've talked to, but it's not something I ask about So it's hard to get a sense of who is/isn't.. In terms of movement, the Debt free wasn't officially announced until early Fall (after we matriculated), so while there were thoughts that it might happen during the acceptance period I don't know how much it would affect people's decisions... It might affect you all more than it did us

Hey everyone,
Didn't Weill Cornell they will be debt free? So how Come many people aren't getting the full ride they expected?

Hey everyone,
Didn't Weill Cornell they will be debt free? So how Come many people aren't getting the full ride they expected?
Debt free doesn't mean full ride. It means that you will receive aid for any costs that exceed the EFC. The problem for many people is that the EFC is unrealistically high and they have to end up taking loans anyway.

Reactions: 2 users