2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only one person has reported “top of the list”...... this may not even be a legit thing.... just saying. Don’t get discouraged by this guys!

1582147812605.png

Dis what I got with the top of the list business.
(also please don't judge me, yes I still use yahoo RIP)

EDIT lol my screenshot had my name in it, here's a cropped version. actually stupid :whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Only one person has reported “top of the list”...... this may not even be a legit thing.... just saying. Don’t get discouraged by this guys!

It probably is a legit thing. I highly doubt he/she would fabricate a quote from an email they received just to "discourage" you. Regardless, no point in being discouraged by someone else's success. This isn't a zero sum game. Has 0 bearing on your application.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Those that are waitlisted, would you mind sharing when you interviewed? I interviewed late November and wondering if I'll be receiving a response soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at last year’s thread and it seems like there was one person who was put on the waitlist and then got Geffen a few days later (like what happened to some people earlier this cycle). So I’m thinking they make those mistakes frequently.
Someone also called later in last year’s cycle and they said no one has been accepted off the waitlist, so I think the “waitlist and then accept” is actually a mistake.

Also someone reported last year that they started ranking the waitlists.

I hope they'll get back to those of us who are still in silent soon, whether it be good or bad news. It's mentally unhealthy for us to make assumptions and be neurotic all the times. On a side note, we're on our way to page 60 and 3000 comments on SDN. Good job, guys (and UCLA adcoms)! LOL

Coming out of the shadows finally. Interviewed 12/7. Waitlisted "top of the list," per email below! My first semi-positive response from a school. Congrats to everybody who finally has a response! Hang in there if you haven't yet :)

1582150115255.png

Edit for those with a little more neuroticism than me: My application was complete 8/29, II on 10/29, interviewed 12/7. I got the travel award. I suffered through every holiday email. The WL email came 2/19 at 2:30PM EST. Good luck!

Last edited:
Do they even have spaces for As left? Kind of suspicious that they told whoever called last week that the class hasn't been filled just to keep the status of silences up in the air

• Hmm
Any travel award recipients in silence?
I received a travel award, still in silence. Although, I'm not sure if receiving a travel award really means anything.

Reactions: 1 users
they tell different info all the time.... not positive that we can trust them

think about it, if they told only WL and Rs to come now, then it basically tells all us silence applicants we're screwed
Therefore, I'm very skeptical of what they told the person who called

• Hmm
Seems like Sept and Dec interviews received waitlists today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed early Sept. WL today with the “top of the list” indication. Feels good to finally have some news.

Reactions: 6 users
Just called, they don’t know if the class is full but he assured me there would be more acceptances. He doesn’t know how many

• Hmm
  • Haha
Sooo when they gonna let us into the Facebook group..

• Haha
jk, was offered the Geffen scholarship this morning after this random email 2 weeks ago. Very surprised considering I was accepted 4 months ago and they told us we would be offered scholarships at time of admission. Don't know the order they are reviewing apps for potential scholarships, but hopefully this provides hope to some! And for future applicants looking back on page 58 of this thread, not all the scholarships go out right away. OOS applicant.
+1 (on the acceptance timeframe, random 10k scholarship, and now Geffen scholarship, but was notified about the Geffen scholarship at a different time)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
ery surprised considering I was accepted 4 months ago and they told us we would be offered scholarships at time of admission.

Perhaps they're worried about their yield and decided to give up more money. Not sure if this is looking good or bad for people on waitlist, either they want more to commit or that we were waitlisted despite them worrying about yield.

• Hmm
jk, was offered the Geffen scholarship this morning after this random email 2 weeks ago. Very surprised considering I was accepted 4 months ago and they told us we would be offered scholarships at time of admission. Don't know the order they are reviewing apps for potential scholarships, but hopefully this provides hope to some! And for future applicants looking back on page 58 of this thread, not all the scholarships go out right away. OOS applicant.
+1 (on the acceptance timeframe, random 10k scholarship, and now Geffen scholarship, but was notified about the Geffen scholarship at a different time)

Congrats! :) that’s incredible. Was this all after filling out financial aid forms and receiving FA packages?

Congrats! :) that’s incredible. Was this all after filling out financial aid forms and receiving FA packages?
Yeah, I received a financial aid package back in December saying I was getting zero aid and would have to take out full COA in loans. Needless to say, this was a real game-changer.

• Love
Thank you. I am very fortunate, humbled, and shocked to have received a scholarship offer that made this decision a no-brainer. I'm really looking forward to the opportunities the next chapter will bring.
See you in august! Gonna be an awesome 4 years :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats @PapayaJambalaya @mdprospect2024!! Just received an email for the 4-year, 10k/year merit scholarship that you both alluded to. Was also accepted in October. Assuming it was reallocated to me after you 2 were offered Geffen

Feeling thankful, but also hopeful that I'll follow your trajectories ;)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats @PapayaJambalaya @mdprospect2024!! Just received an email for the 4-year, 10k/year merit scholarship that you both alluded to. Was also accepted in October. Assuming it was reallocated to me after you 2 were offered Geffen

Feeling thankful, but also hopeful that I'll follow your trajectories ;)

Guys I'm just saying...I think my offer is still way better. I mean, who even WANTS the Geffen.
Snack baskets, goodie bags... heck how about some unlimited Girl Scout c o o k i e s (yea, I have friends in high places) :hello:
(& all for the low price of a shared acceptance)

pfffttttt clear, wholesome choice here
please keep this on the DL. Can't offer this up to just anyone.

• Haha
Guys I'm just saying...I think my offer is still way better. I mean, who even WANTS the Geffen.
Snack baskets, goodie bags... heck how about some unlimited Girl Scout c o o k i e s (yea, I have friends in high places) :hello:
(& all for the low price of a shared acceptance)

pfffttttt clear, wholesome choice here
please keep this on the DL. Can't offer this up to just anyone.
Can I have unlimited mint flavor? I'm on the DL as well shhhhh

• Haha
Have been in silence since my interview, checking my email fervently and this is where I’m at....

Attachments

• B13D48DB-8CA7-429C-9F52-E861C22973CF.jpeg
    B13D48DB-8CA7-429C-9F52-E861C22973CF.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Haha
Why are some ppl still in silence? Like why delay letting us know if we are rejected..

Maybe because you're still being considered for a spot in their entering class?
I think this was said before but to put together a truly diverse class takes A LOT of work and deliberation. All we know about each other on SDN is maybe each others MCAT/GPA? There is so much more that goes into putting a class together than just those two metrics. You might not have heard back yet because they're still deliberating whether or not to accept you or waitlist you (a very likely possibility). Considering that they could have easily put you on a waitlist or rejected you (since they've done this to others already), it's more likely you're still under consideration.

If we've learned anything over the past several months it's that we don't know what's actually happening and that anything is possible. Stay positive!

Reactions: 15 users
Maybe because you're still being considered for a spot in their entering class?
I think this was said before but to put together a truly diverse class takes A LOT of work and deliberation. All we know about each other on SDN is maybe each others MCAT/GPA? There is so much more that goes into putting a class together than just those two metrics. You might not have heard back yet because they're still deliberating whether or not to accept you or waitlist you (a very likely possibility). Considering that they could have easily put you on a waitlist or rejected you (since they've done this to others already), it's more likely you're still under consideration.

If we've learned anything over the past several months it's that we don't know what's actually happening and that anything is possible. Stay positive!
What you said rings the bells of rationality. However, what also seems reasonable is to have more transparency especially from a T10 school. I didn't notice it at the time since UCLA was my first interview, but now I see the slithering way in which they skipped out on the timeline of admissions. They casually slipped in a one pager about the general deadlines and thats all.

Whether I get in or not, or whether I choose to matriculate or not, I will be sure to email them an appropriate response for all this mess, and I encourage fellow interviewers to do the same.

For the 2020-2021 applicants looking at this thread, make sure you *ask* about the timeline during your interview. But most importantly, and this applies to all schools, when sifting through the pile of information given to you by the schools, *pay careful attention to what is not told* as the omitted information can be the weakest spots of that school.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I have a friend who previously applied here who interviewed in September and didn’t hear back anything until June, which is when she was rejected. The brutal truth is that the admission committee members here can decide to make decisions at anytime, and historically, they don’t care at all about transparency regarding the admission timeline. Just a reminder of how powerless we are in this process. It’s sad that many students' careers in medicine start with such a demoralizing admissions process.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys! I know it's super annoying when people planning for the upcoming cycle post on a school specific thread, and I promise to only do it just this once (and maybe on one other thread xD) but I wanted to ask if it's even worth applying here. UCLA is one of my top choices but on the other hand I'm not trying to waste 150 bucks if I have literally zero chance here, ya feel?

I think you might as well apply. I mean, you don't have a zero chance, but you have a 0-2% chance like everyone else ;)

Interesting that you were able to get your MCAT up so high from a 507. They'll probably want to know why your grades don't match your latest MCAT attempt.

• Haha
Hey guys!

Hey Meridian, just wanted to say I see you around on Reddit (I think). Congrats on the MCAT!!! That's amazing.

Given that UCLA pre-screens secondaries, that you have excellent clinical volunteering, MCAT, etc., I'd say you have a great shot. I wasn't expecting to have much luck here, but things worked out. Especially given your state, you should totally apply here (I'm OOS and got in).

If any of the accepted people would like my lunch bag/mug - I can give it away to you with a huge congrats card :) PM me if you want it and we can arrange something.

• Love
Accepted people, how many of you threw away your lunch bag?

I think you might as well apply. I mean, you don't have a zero chance, but you have a 0-2% chance like everyone else ;)

Interesting that you were able to get your MCAT up so high from a 507. They'll probably want to know why your grades don't match your latest MCAT attempt.
This. You'll never know if you don't try, only you can say whether it's worth the money, and nobody who gets a secondary has literally zero chance. That said, you know what you're up against -- literally hundreds (if not thousands) of people who have 520+ on one try with 3.9+ GPAs and tons of superlative ECs. You always have a chance to break through, but the odds are against it, and that's at any T20 school. The way I will look at it when I'm up is to say I'm already spending thousands on the process, so I'd take a few shots even with a low probability of success just to avoid playing the "what if?" game in the future. Good luck!!!

No, I really mean that! I am getting rid of it as I am 99% sure I’m not going to DGSOM.

• Sad
If I haven't heard by now, is it safe to assume the R?

• Sad