2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got placed on the alternate list...they said this:

"As your application is near the top of our list, when a space in our 2020 entering class becomes available, candidates, like you, from the top of the list will be offered admission first."

What does this mean o_O
not sure whether I should cry or be excited, am confuzzled.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

"As your application is near the top of our list, when a space in our 2020 entering class becomes available, candidates, like you, from the top of the list will be offered admission first."

What does this mean o_O
It sounds like you are on the waitlist but that's definitely a good thing!! You still have a really good shot!!

Reactions: 2 users
I've never been so happy to be waitlisted. The silence is over! (also declining my spot)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to think this might the last waitlist set and I'm gonna end up getting that rejection email any minute now :(

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted. Devasted because this was my top choice out of all the schools I interviewed at.

I did not receive top of the alternate list, which makes it feel a lot worse.

Does anyone know how many they take off the waitlist?

Also, for the group of people who were waitlisted and then accepted within a few days, did you have the "top" waitlist?

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

What does this mean o_O

At least they said WHEN a space becomes available, not IF. So it seems like they're anticipating people coming off the waitlist! Keep your head up :)

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if the AAMC “chose your medical school” option opening today caused them to release WL decisions today

This is what I got:

Thank you for your interest in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. We appreciate the time you have taken to prepare and present your candidacy through the application process. Your application to the 2020 entering class has been carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

While your application was not selected for one of the limited spaces available for an admission offer, the Admissions Committee is pleased to offer you the option of choosing to be considered on our alternate list. Candidates from the alternate list will be offered admission if spaces in the class open prior to the beginning of classes in August, 2020.

LOL @ august 2020.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone called and they said the class is not yet full. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but it is possible silence can be an acceptance later.

I’m still in silence.
Interview - 9/16

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted, interviewed on the last date. I kind of felt like December applicants were at a disadvantage.

Looking at last year, some did not receive an email and only a portal update.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed early Sept.
Waitlisted today, not at the top of the list.
Have there been post-interview rejections? Have some people already been accepted from the WL?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed early Sept.
Waitlisted today, not at the top of the list.
Have there been post-interview rejections? Have some people already been accepted from the WL?
There were post II rejections last week. Some people were pulled off the waitlist in early Jan, but there’s a theory they were mistakenly placed on the waitlist. Not entirely sure what to make of it

If it makes anyone feel better I'm currently watching my sister's fiance smash the refresh button on the choose your medical school tool hoping that he can get something back from UCLA after silence since August. I'm playing Mad World on speaker to help him out. So you have company in this.

• Haha
Could it be possible that for those who have been in complete silence, the admission committee might still be on the fence btw A and WL?

• Haha
  • Wow
Could it be possible that for those who have been in complete silence, the admission committee might still be on the fence btw A and WL?
They are obviously at David's house trying to beg for an additional 50 Geffens for everyone.

Shoot! I knew it was bad mojo to use my coffee cup!

• Sad
i interviewed 12/7 and also got waitlisted but my email didnt say top of the list

"While your application was not selected for one of the limited spaces available for an admission offer, the Admissions Committee is pleased to offer you the option of choosing to be considered on our alternate list. Candidates from the alternate list will be offered admission if spaces in the class open prior to the beginning of classes in August, 2020. "

• Sad
Also waitlisted today, email didn't say top of the list. Interviewed late September.

Good luck everyone :(

• Sad
There's no way they filled up the class in a week.
Last week they said class is not yet full and offers are still rolling............ CONFUSION

Silence is probably gonna be R’s :(

No point in speculating. There were post II r's sent before this WL wave. Unless you have a security camera in the adcom meeting room, might as well just put your mind to other things and wait it out.

Only one person has reported “top of the list”...... this may not even be a legit thing.... just saying. Don’t get discouraged by this guys!

• Wow
Only one person has reported “top of the list”...... this may not even be a legit thing.... just saying. Don’t get discouraged by this guys!
Maybe someone should call to see if the hierarchy in the waitlist is a thing or not. It does seem odd to think that the rest of us did not get any hint about our placement on the wait list.