2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was the documentary?
It's called City of Gold. It portrays the stories of different food spots in LA and is accompanied by the storytelling of LA food critic, Jonathan Gold.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
This is really DISTURBING if you didn't get accepted. No dean would say they hope to entice someone and give false hope like that.
*sigh* idk, I mean it was a very nice response, but when I got it, I had to remind myself that it's not like his reply guaranteed me an acceptance. sorry, just trying to keep my head up!

Reactions: 3 users
Not because of this, but I withdrew my A from here recently. Hope one of the survivors of this 59 page ordeal gets all my crap.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with an R receive a travel award?
Same here, post-II rejection this morning with travel award. Interviewed in August lol. Welp, maybe next life, time to move on..

+1 on the post-II R this morning. Bummed bc one of my interviewers told me he gave me "the highest scores possible" :oops:

To those that were rejected today, keep your heads up. You guys were excellent applicants and will go on to become great physicians.

P.S. don't forget to send a scathing review about their admissions process.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
If they liked ppl enough to interview them and the interviewers gave great scores, what did they base this last round of decisions on??
That's what I'm thinking :| I don't know what else I could have done to better my chances. IIRC people who reported poor interview performances still got in and were surprised earlier this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
This doesn't limit to UCLA, but I think one common misconception for the applicant is that applicants often see the school(reviewer, committee, admins, staff, deans, interviewers, applicant presenter, tour guides, students) as one homogenous entity. The reality is that your application and fate is often in the hands of selected few. Those selected few might have different views on your app, had a bad day, influenced by their mood, triggered by something, etc... This is why the medical school application is so random and luck-based. The same can be said oppositely and things work in your benefit.

Just like a post above about the dean responded to your email about the documentary, you would think this is a good sign, right? Or that you received the travel award, a good sign, right? No... deadly wrong. In fact I 1000% think they aren't related at all. Well, you can always argue, "then why did they bother to fund me/respond". The answer is simple: they can, they want to, they are nice. These nice geastures are not related to your decision, but in your eyes, if you see the school as a homogenous entity, then yes, they do.

The moral really is: don't have blind expectations and let fate plays out. as unfortunately as it sounds.

Thanks for your insights. Is the final decision with just one person? It does seem odd that those people would have such different perceptions than seasoned interviewers, travel award screeners etc..

idk where you got the idea that your final decision is with just one person... It's actually illegal to have that practice. Why is it odd? People can even be twins and have different opinions.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been lurking on here the whole cycle and didn’t post until today but I must say if this LAisthebestplaceever character is legit woah

• Haha
100000% self-appointed. I'm the only one(i think?) in my class who enjoys the popcorn-grabbing chat with neurotic applicants on SDN as a nice destresser.

Good for you :) I often get more stressed when I check SDN.

Good luck on that block 3 final/practical, my friend.
We are all hanging there.
Sometimes stress brings the worst out of people.
Today is a sad day for many, maybe don't add more gasoline?

Reactions: 12 users
I agree with all of your guys’ concerns. The school did an absolutely terrible job with this application process and was incredibly unprofessional with their communication. I apologize on behalf of Laisthebestplaceever because their attitude is not representative of the actual students in the school. They for some reason are being very provocative and maybe they get joy out of other people’s suffering.

I have also been following you guys throughout this cycle and did my best to offer insight into the school. I promise you one way or another your concerns will be heard, and I urge the accepted students to actively try to make a difference when they are in the school and not just complain on these forums.

MS3

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
I agree with all of your guys’ concerns. The school did an absolutely terrible job with this application process and was incredibly unprofessional with their communication. I apologize on behalf of Laisthebestplaceever because their attitude is not representative of the actual students in the school. They for some reason are being very provocative and maybe they get joy out of other people’s suffering.

I have also been following you guys throughout this cycle and did my best to offer insight into the school. I promise you one way or another your concerns will be heard, and I urge the accepted students to actively try to make a difference when they are in the school and not just complain on these forums.

MS3

Absolutely agree and WELL SAID! Biggest the reason I joined the Student Admission Representative Team(StART) and set up Facebook is that I had a lot to say about the admission experience during the last cycle! I absolutely urge all the accepted students to get involved with us, and therefore with admission, and interact with the next cycles' applicants to reduce their anxiety and make the process better. The process is getting better year after year with our collective efforts!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

MS3

what a kind thing to say:claps:

MS3
Thank you for restoring some of my faith in UCLA (which I absolutely loved after my interview but was feeling apprehensive after reading this thread)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Pretty sure my professor thinks I’m crazy after seeing me quietly sobbing in lecture this morning while trying to keep up with taking notes. Goodbye UCLA!

(post-II R) if anyone still cares

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Mark the calendar folks, if you're still awaiting a response on 2/24, you'll almost assuredly will get that R.

• Sad
Lmao and here's the beginning of death in this forum.. It was good year folks

Just experienced the Mayo craziness. Can someone please summarize what happened with UCLA? Not tryna go through 59 pages... Thank you

• Haha
Just experienced the Mayo craziness. Can someone please summarize what happened with UCLA? Not tryna go through 59 pages... Thank you

Basically incredibly bad communication and lack of transparency throughout the cycle. Some people interviewed even in early September, received generic happy holiday emails, then up to 5 months after their interviews got the same generic R email that were sent for pre-II R’s.

Add in some borderline and untimely comments by a current UCLA med student as well as genuine and supportive comments by others, us using our leftover P/S knowledge to try to get into the heads of their admissions dept and some run of the mill premed neuroticism, and that pretty much summarizes it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
late post but waitlisted with the "near the top of the list" addition to the email. Really hoping if movement on the waitlist ends up happening this year, it will happen in March/April and not May/June/July!

late post but waitlisted with the "near the top of the list" addition to the email. Really hoping if movement on the waitlist ends up happening this year, it will happen in March/April and not May/June/July!
When did you hear back?

Also another waitlister! Does anyone know if the admissions committee would be open to letting us know where in the list we are or is that frowned up?? haha.

• Sad
Another post-II R here during the wave of Rs, but I was OOS w/ 508 MCAT lol so I knew it was a long-shot. At least we can all escape the weird limbo the past several weeks (/months) have been :rofl:

Also another waitlister! Does anyone know if the admissions committee would be open to letting us know where in the list we are or is that frowned up?? haha.

did you get the "near the top" email or the normal one?
I feel like they probably won't tell you, outside of specifying if you're priority or not :/

I haven’t gotten my final financial aid package yet, does anyone know if I submit the “plan to enroll” through MyUCLA if that’ll impact financial aid at all?

anyone else still waiting?

Did you check your portal? I think there has been report that some people did not receive an email but it says they've been axed in the portal. If not, then I think you may get that A

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Did you check your portal? I think there has been report that some people did not receive an email but it says they've been axed in the portal. If not, then I think you may get that A

Nope, no change on the portal! I’m hoping to hear something by tomorrow :/

I have been accepted and received my preliminary FA statement. I’m pretty confident I’ll end up coming to UCLA but I’m wondering if the next step of filling out the SIR and SLR is binding?

Don't think so. Even after submitting, I have instructions on how I can withdraw my acceptance.

Hello, beautiful friends.

Does anyone want the UCLA lunch bag and water bottle? I can mail it to ya!

I received the rejection email on Monday (at long last, that splendid sigh of relief!) and I created an SDN account because I want the lunch bag and water bottle to have a new, loving home. :) Also, I can't bring myself to dispose of such high-quality products and further contribute to environmental waste. Haha.

Let me know!

For those who have been accepted to any program, congrats on your successes. And for those of you still waiting, hang in there!!

Looking forward to becoming physician colleagues in the future!

xoxo

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hello, beautiful friends.

Does anyone want the UCLA lunch bag and water bottle? I can mail it to ya!

I received the rejection email on Monday (at long last, that splendid sigh of relief!) and I created an SDN account because I want the lunch bag and water bottle to have a new, loving home. :) Also, I can't bring myself to dispose of such high-quality products and further contribute to environmental waste. Haha.

Let me know!

For those who have been accepted to any program, congrats on your successes. And for those of you still waiting, hang in there!!

Looking forward to becoming physician colleagues in the future!

xoxo

In honor of this upcoming class' clinical years, I vote we shove a hundred of the water bottles into a single bag

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users