2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me rn bracing for my post-II WL/rejection

REJECT ME.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly the letter seemed like the same letter they probably sent to pre secondary rejects. "Thanks for applying...we will not be moving forward with your application."

And yes I got that holiday email.

But to be fair, during my interview, the woman was holding the door open for me and I accidentally thought she was going for a hug, so I went for the hug. LOL

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok something is off.
You should really call the school and check in on this.
The timing is very odd, in the same “wave” as the pre-II rejection. The wording of the email was not unique to a post II rejection vs pre-II and nobody else reported getting an R. That’s seriously messed up if it was an accident.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok something is off.
You should really call the school and check in on this.
The timing is very odd, in the same “wave” as the pre-II rejection. The wording of the email was not unique to a post II rejection vs pre-II and nobody else reported getting an R. That’s seriously messed up if it was an accident.

AaAahHhHh nueroticism overload!!!!! *self combusts*

But seriously, I really hope this was a mistake because no one else is reporting post-II R's. Here for you with good thoughts & wishes, just hang in there!
(Worst case, hey at least it's some much-needed transparency @Swam101. Go live your BEST life because you're too spifftacularly AWESOME for ucla anyways. :bow: )

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly the letter seemed like the same letter they probably sent to pre secondary rejects. "Thanks for applying...we will not be moving forward with your application."

And yes I got that holiday email.

But to be fair, during my interview, the woman was holding the door open for me and I accidentally thought she was going for a hug, so I went for the hug. LOL

On a good note of this genuinely being an accident, I think your application might be perfectly fine and you were accidentally sent the pre-II email as one of the recipients of the mailing list. That’s why i’m saying you should call and ask and also check your portal! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. But I don't want to get my hopes up. At the pre-interview rejection people, can someone copy paste the email they got? Also is the subject of the email "Final Decision"

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. But I don't want to get my hopes up. At the pre-interview rejection people, can someone copy paste the email they got? Also is the subject of the email "Final Decision"
Thank you for your interest in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. We appreciate the time you have taken to prepare and present your candidacy through the application process. Your application to the 2020 entering class has been carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The large number of highly qualified applications received made the selection process a difficult one. It is with regret that I must inform you that we will not be taking further action on your application.

You may reapply to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA in the new year (one reapplication per applicant is permitted). Furthermore, you are invited to review and consider the many diverse health sciences degree programs offered at UCLA.

We greatly appreciate your interest in seeking admission to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and we wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

SlxwGI8xqTipVTzaS7Tsq5c_L2DKJUuss35chaeZP9J6_sjn1R-c9IAA3bS-KrM89VvEYF1vda02dHlKS33YT_mK_2_vD1xNlSoizRw_EDUA94nJWJNM-GHcgB_rGzgm0zwfJJe3aM17kRcxMsZh6lwPWAZJGjMDzwfQNCvUucpsxNI=s0-d-e1-ft

Clarence H. Braddock III, MD, MPH, MACP

Professor of Medicine
Maxine and Eugene Rosenfeld Chair in Medical Education
Vice Dean for Education, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Interim Dean for Admissions

• Sad
LOL wow. I emailed them just to get some clarification. Lets see what happens.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
If some of us here don’t get in, we can get a masters in Forensic Science and try again!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Could you message me? I tried to message you but I couldn’t.
I interviewed in December and also received the same email as you

• Wow

Oof... awkward...
Two people I know post-interview were rejected today, I am sorry to say that I don't think it was a mistake...
You know, you gotta take advice from SDN with a grain of salt, I say people who are active on SDN are prob 2, if not max 5% of the application pool
For example, I have seen people post nothing here even though I knew a wave of acceptances went out.

DO NOT ask(DM or quote) me about it, I don't have the exact date or how many
I knew it b/c a close friend of mine was accepted along with someone in her lab the same day

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Alright dude chill out. Its like you posted just to make people feel bad. No need to be super judge-mental about it. We’re just discussing things. Isn’t that the point of SDN? I don’t think its awkward that I or anyone else emailed them at all. No one is being dumb about it. I’m sure people just asked for a clarification In a professional manner. Which is very normal. Anyone is entitled to ask questions. Its not just one way communication.

Oof... awkward...
Two people I know post-interview were rejected today, I am sorry to say that I don't think it was a mistake...
You know, you gotta take advice from SDN with a grain of salt, I say people who are active on SDN are prob 2, if not max 5% of the application pool
For example, I have seen people post nothing here even though I knew a wave of acceptances went out.

DO NOT ask(DM or quote) me about it, I don't have the exact date or how many
I knew it b/c a close friend of mine was accepted along with someone in her lab the same day

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Alright dude chill out. Its like you posted just to make people feel bad. No need to be super judge-mental about it. We’re just discussing things. Isn’t that the point of SDN? I don’t think its awkward that I or anyone else emailed them at all. No one is being dumb about it. I’m sure people just asked for a clarification In a professional manner. Which is very normal. Anyone is entitled to ask questions. Its not just one way communication.
Yea true. Some prime applicants got the email, some geffen got the email, and some people who never interviewed got the email.

Usually there’s different rejection letters for pre VS post and program specific so I agree.

Yeah, like I think its a very fair thing to wonder Why a post-interview rejection email doesnt mention the interview or thank you for taking time to interview.
Anyways its fine. No one is being neurotic. I think its important to recognize that most of us are normal people in real life, and there is a lot of anxiety that comes with this whole process. This blog is just a place to discuss and a catharsis.

yea I think he/she/they had good intentions but poor and insensitive delivery. But good or bad - I hope everyone has other acceptances coming their way!

yea I think he/she/they had good intentions but poor and insensitive delivery. But good or bad - I hope everyone has other acceptances coming their way!

Yeah Swam you’re completely in the right here. It would ABSOLUTELY be professional to email a unique post II rejection at least. People paid hundreds of dollars and flew across the country to interview - it’s simple respect. Also, the context made it seem sus, and it’s not the first time this office messed up.

Not to fuel the neuroticism (but definitely going to) —I got that exact R email today and I didn’t even submit a secondary lmao

• Haha
I see, wow that’s weird to send an R
It kinda seems like ucla admissions has been a bit short-staffed this year. Hopefully this gets worked out and hopefully those post-II Rs are mistakes!!

is it possible the apps that did not get the new happy holiday emails are with the scholarship committee and that's why they didn't get it?

Is it possible that they are at enrollment so now just based on post II score are rejecting and accepting on a case by case basis?
i think this sounds more possible :) it's difficult to stop with the theories when in limbo

Seems like the Happy holidays email went to everyone who interviewed after a certain date in October (I think) unless they were immediately accepted.

I didn’t get any of their extra emails and I interviewed in November.

I honestly think it’s nuts to think that there is absolutely any correlation between that and the final results of one’s application.
There goes my theory... so random who knows.

I have a new speculation that with the new traffic rules, schools are going to wait until this Feb 19 date when the plan to enrol tool becomes available. This allows them to see the plan for their accepted applicants. They will see either (1) plan to enroll at UCLA, (2) plan to enroll elsewhere, or (3) not committed. If a substantial number of accepted students plan to enroll elsewhere, it will allow ADCOM to send out some more A's without overfilling the class.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting! But don’t most people hold all
Acceptances and not plan to fill out the tool until after second looks and more schools release decisions in March?

Possibly. but that assumes that most accepted people are on a waitlist for their top choice (if UCLA isn't the top choice). Some accepted applicants will already know their intent to matriculate elsewhere, the question is just how many and does it initiate enough movement. Obviously april 15-30 is the bigger time for movement, but most schools will probably have a more formal waitlist by that time.

If some of us here don’t get in, we can get a masters in Forensic Science and try again!

At the interview:

"So can you tell us about the cases you've worked on?"

Well technically we didn't figure out anything at all. Though, if you need about 57 theories in the next hour on why something happened, I'm your guy.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Possibly. but that assumes that most accepted people are on a waitlist for their top choice (if UCLA isn't the top choice). Some accepted applicants will already know their intent to matriculate elsewhere, the question is just how many and does it initiate enough movement. Obviously april 15-30 is the bigger time for movement, but most schools will probably have a more formal waitlist by that time.
People could also be waiting to hear back from Harvard which won't release till March, so applicants may not yield the tool till they actually have to. I think they'll just continue to release A/R/WL sporadically the way they have been. They seem to be coming at random days and times so it's nearly impossible to really gage when one of us will hear back. It's just a waiting game at this point.

At the interview:

"So can you tell us about the cases you've worked on?"

Well technically we didn't figure out anything at all. Though, if you need about 57 theories in the next hour on why something happened, I'm your guy.
Precisely.

Is there anyone here who has not a single acceptance elsewhere? Just curious...

• Hmm
  • Sad
Is there anyone here who has not a single acceptance elsewhere? Just curious...
I don't, the results of 3 of my other II's will be March and later.

hey does anyone know what the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) is and how that's different from the plan to enroll in the application portal by 4/30? I created a UCLA account to try to fill out the SIR, but there's another "Accept your offer of admissions" option that indicates that withdrawals must be in writing. I'm a bit confused as to what needs to be completed now to retain your spot while waiting to hear from other programs vs. committing to matriculate. thanks!