2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so scared it's because the class is more filled than usual :'(. But it's really nice to have you guys and know that I'm not alone in the wait!

Even if so, there would still be at least some acceptances right?...I think they're just slower this year

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Even if so, there would still be at least some acceptances right?...I think they're just slower this year
Right? That's what I was thinking. Between all the people posting on this thread, you would think that at least one person would have heard back from the WL by now. I could be wrong, but trying to keep a positive mindset!

Also, today is only the 2nd business day in May (& in the middle of a pandemic!) This is just the start, we still have time!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Right? That's what I was thinking. Between all the people posting on this thread, you would think that at least one person would have heard back from the WL by now. I could be wrong, but trying to keep a positive mindset!

This is a bad flashback to December when we were all guessing the decision release date :rolleyes:

Also, today is only the 2nd business day in May (& in the middle of a pandemic!) This is just the start, we still have time!
I agree!! I keep trying to remind myself of this when I start to panic we haven't heard back yet. Heres hoping we hear some good news soon :)

According to basically every year, there is a lot of SDN reported movement all throughout May and even early June...so on the one hand it might not be worth waiting for it (since it's a long wait), but on the other hand there is absolutely hope until even mid June :)

And I doubt people have overenrolled, there's too many free tuition schools out there snagging up people XD

According to basically every year, there is a lot of SDN reported movement all throughout May and even early June...so on the one hand it might not be worth waiting for it (since it's a long wait), but on the other hand there is absolutely hope until even mid June :)

And I doubt people have overenrolled, there's too many free tuition schools out there snagging up people XD

I needed to hear this :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if their waitlist is ranked or unranked?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I’m pretty sure the dean said they don’t rank the waitlist if I recall correctly from my interview day.

Also I was just wondering, how was someone able to call the school to know they released waitlist stuff on Monday at 4? Doesn’t the state have a stay at home ordinance until the 15th? So like how would anyone be there to answer the phone ?

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I’m pretty sure the dean said they don’t rank the waitlist if I recall correctly from my interview day.

Also I was just wondering, how was someone able to call the school to know they released waitlist stuff on Monday at 4? Doesn’t the state have a stay at home ordinance until the 15th? So like how would anyone be there to answer the phone ?
I think most admissions offices are having their calls forwarded to staff at home so they can still answer. That being said, I'm pretty sure interruptus is just messing with us.

• Haha
  • Angry
I think most admissions offices are having their calls forwarded to staff at home so they can still answer. That being said, I'm pretty sure interruptus is just messing with us.

That's fair, but also this is definitely the latest they have ever went (at least with SDN reporting). I still think it's extremely likely this week a few people will get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, so I called them today asking about whether if or when there is expected to be waitlist movement. They told me that they had sent out a batch of waitlist notifications but it was a "very small group." They aren't sure of when there is expected to be more movement, it's dependent on whether or not people withdraw as well as when they hear back from that first group.

Edit: I know this wasn't the news a lot of people wanted to hear, but I wanted to post because I know I've been constantly checking my email waiting to hear back and putting a lot of life plans on hold. I know that some of you may be in the same position that I am in this process. I don't want this post to be too negative, I'm sure that some people will still hear good news!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so I called them today asking about whether if or when there is expected to be waitlist movement. They told me that they had sent out a batch of waitlist notifications but it was a "very small group." They aren't sure of when there is expected to be more movement, it's dependent on whether or not people withdraw as well as when they hear back from that first group.
I wonder why it’s so different this year

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's because more people are choosing the top 20 schools over full ride, given step 1 p/np.

That makes sense. However, there's normally a lotttt of OOS people who choose not to move to California, and I'm wondering what happened with that too, as a lot of them probably go into T20s closer to home

Thanks to everyone who responded. I deleted the original post since I realized the information was maybe a little too specific. For those wondering what the original post contained, basically I was trying to decide between here and UCSD.

Last edited:
  • Love
I chose a more expensive "top 30" over a "top 20" for the sole purpose of staying closer to family/friends/etc. UCSD is a very prestigious program that nobody will scoff at. Also, if you are interested in surgery UCSF has a significant primary care focus, although you can obviously do whatever if you attend either institution if you work hard. That being said, you aren't going to get unbiased advice on this forum because everybody is on the verge of a panic attack waiting to hear back from the waitlist. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
As an incoming MS1 at UCSF, I don’t really have a horse in this race, so hopefully I can provide some helpful input.

First and foremost, I think both schools are phenomenal and will set you up well for whatever career you aspire to have. However, when I was making my decision, I looked at this time (I.e. med school) as an opportunity to start really building my “brand”. Having talked with several PDs, especially given the Step 1 change, a lot of weight will be given to your “brand”—including the reputation of the school you went to, the strength of your letters of recommendation, and the status of your letter writers. This at least holds true for the more competitive specialties.

I’ve also heard, albeit anecdotally, that the administration at UCSD isn’t great. I would think that’s a significant consideration for anyone as you will want and need an administration that not only listens to students/faculty feedback and supports them fully, but is also willing to change.

Lastly, UCSF playfully (kinda truthfully) stands for U Can Stay Forever, meaning that if you want to go into something uber competitive, like Urology, you can probably stay at your home residency which, luckily enough, happens to be one of the best residencies for Urology. This also applies to several other specialties, including Anesthesia, Dermatology, and Neuro Surgery to name a few. This advantage was one of the biggest selling points for me. Along with a great financial aid package, this security was enough to pull me away from my home (Georgia).

I hope that helps, but also please feel free to DM me if you need any specific answers or guidance! Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love

Edit: I know this wasn't the news a lot of people wanted to hear, but I wanted to post because I know I've been constantly checking my email waiting to hear back and putting a lot of life plans on hold. I know that some of you may be in the same position that I am in this process. I don't want this post to be too negative, I'm sure that some people will still hear good news!

Well, this isn't good. What are thoughts on this? There's significantly less report of WL acceptances as compared to previous years on SDN D:

• Sad
I think it just means more people accepted the og acceptances (can be for multiple reasons, one of which seems to be step1 becoming p/f)

• Hmm
Just based on our Group Me and our Facebook Group (obviously not the best way to judge, granted), there's quite a large number of accepted students so far. Assuming people have been leaving the chat after committing elsewhere, there has definitely been movement, but not much. Still a large group of us. Definitely not saying things won't change though.

• Wow
Just based on our Group Me and our Facebook Group (obviously not the best way to judge, granted), there's quite a large number of accepted students so far. Assuming people have been leaving the chat after committing elsewhere, there has definitely been movement, but not much. Still a large group of us. Definitely not saying things won't change though.
On the "At a Glance", it says that there are 171 entering MD students in 2019. Is that how many are in the GroupMe at the moment??

• Hmm
If there’s more than 150, then...☹️

• Hmm
I should just reiterate that these aren't great metrics because I believe the Facebook group has other members besides the incoming MS1s, and not everyone is as diligent about leaving the Facebook group when they commit elsewhere. And not everyone joins the GroupMe (I didn't join it until a month after I was accepted). Maybe I shouldn't have said anything keeping in mind that this is SDN. I'm sorry for making you all panic. But I didn't realize the expected incoming class size was 170. That's quite large, and we aren't near that number on the GroupMe. Keep your hopes up! Hope to see you guys here soon!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
UCSF gave me five business days to decide, which I think is the minimum as outlined by AMCAS' Admission Officer Protocol 6.

FB has like 220 members :(

Even if a solid 50 of those are other medical students and admin, that's would still be a full class >.>

Anyone understand the traffic rules following April 30th? How long do people have to drop one acceptance for another?

I'm going to just hope all the dropping was delayed by COVID, and as waitlists move from other schools UCSF's will follow :D
OMG

• Sad

Even if a solid 50 of those are other medical students and admin, that's would still be a full class >.>

Anyone understand the traffic rules following April 30th? How long do people have to drop one acceptance for another?

I'm going to just hope all the dropping was delayed by COVID, and as waitlists move from other schools UCSF's will follow :D

For what it’s worth, I along with 3 other people I know withdrew from UCSF, yet we havent found the time/opportunity to leave the group lol. I hope there will be some movement for y’all! Sending y’all positive juju— You got this! ❤

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users

ok I know this is super neurotic, but on 5/5 the fb group had 214 members, 222 on 5/6, 227 on 5/7, and 226 on 5/8
also, the previous yrs have 350+ people... not sure if this means anything, especially since it's a weird year

I have now calmed down and am trying to focus on other things LOL. Happy saturday!

• Love
  • Hmm
ok I know this is super neurotic, but on 5/5 the fb group had 214 members, 222 on 5/6, 227 on 5/7, and 226 on 5/8
also, the previous yrs have 350+ people... not sure if this means anything, especially since it's a weird year

I have now calmed down and am trying to focus on other things LOL. Happy saturday!
Not neurotic. Investigative. Making use of all your information when transparency is limited. C'mon, it's always about how you spin the narrative. Good luck everyone.

• Love
  • Haha
I guess it all comes down to how much of that FB is people who haven't left yet, and how many are random admins and students from other years.

I just keep dreaming about getting that call, and before Wofsy even finishes just being like

I COMMIT TO ENROLL!!!!

(and marking the day as a holy day to be observed solomnly everyday for the rest of my life)
Believe!!

• Love
Is this it? end of 2019-2020? No idea what happened to the wait-list. Not a single wait-listed contributor here who was admitted? So different from the previous years.:unsure::shrug::help:

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I've never posted in SDN before but thought I'd break that trend to help you guys out since I've also been obsessively following this thread. I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday at around 3pm PST and will be committing. Truly a dream come true, my mom and I cried. Hoping the best for everyone else too as it is still early, and looking forward to meeting you all as classmates!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone, I've never posted in SDN before but thought I'd break that trend to help you guys out since I've also been obsessively following this thread. I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday at around 3pm PST and will be committing. Truly a dream come true, my mom and I cried. Hoping the best for everyone else too as it is still early, and looking forward to meeting you all as classmates!! :)

Congratulations! And thanks for posting.

Hey! Accepted off the waitlist as well yesterday afternoon and will be committing. Very pumped!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey! Accepted off the waitlist as well yesterday afternoon and will be committing. Very pumped!

[/QUOTE]

May I ask if you got a "commit to enroll" call before you got an acceptance? If so, when (i.e. if you would like to share that info)?

Last edited:

Have you guys seen this??? Man, I'd rather defer a year if this were too happen. Hopefully it's different for medical schools.

"At the University of California, which has 10 campuses across the state, "it's likely none of our campuses will fully re-open in fall," Stett Holbrook, a spokesperson for UC, told CNN in an email on Tuesday. Holbrook said Wednesday that UC is "considering a mixed approach for classes, with some student instruction potentially to be delivered in classrooms and labs while other instruction may remain remote." A decision is expected mid-June, Holbrook said."

Isn't med school a mix anyway though XD

Like who actually goes to lectures anymore. And I'm sure they'll find a way to keep anatomy lab going, and some of the interviewing lessons in person.

Taking a one year break seems a bit dramatic. Idk if they'd even take it as a legitimate reason.

• Love

Have you guys seen this??? Man, I'd rather defer a year if this were too happen. Hopefully it's different for medical schools.

"At the University of California, which has 10 campuses across the state, "it's likely none of our campuses will fully re-open in fall," Stett Holbrook, a spokesperson for UC, told CNN in an email on Tuesday. Holbrook said Wednesday that UC is "considering a mixed approach for classes, with some student instruction potentially to be delivered in classrooms and labs while other instruction may remain remote." A decision is expected mid-June, Holbrook said."
Are you seriously considering your deferral?

• Love
I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!! Today at 3:30ish. Still don't believe it's real.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
So.... is this the end to 2019-2020? :( Is anyone else super disappointed that there at least seemingly, has not been as much waitlist movement this year? I'd think I'd be less disappointed if there has been a lot of movement and I still didn't get accepted, but it seems like this year is just plain old little movement period. Crying a little (a lot) inside :sour:

I did some massive neurotic thing and looked through the FB group from class of 2020-2023 and on average, the group size is about ~380 ish?? The last reported number if i remember correctly was 200 something...?

Regarding the overall FB group size, I don't think that number really matters. The number of offers made last year is going to be nearly the same as the number of offers this year. However, as others have pointed out, it's possible that this year more people took those initial offers.

If more people took the initial offers, they would need to make less offers in total. Unfortunately that may be the case this year.

Does anyone know what UCSF's grading system is? I have been hearing conflicting information. I know that Years 1-3 are P/F but are clerkships in Year 4 graded?
Pre-clinical and core clerkship are P/F
4th year electives and sub-internships are H/P/F

According to MSAR, the last date that UCSF will send acceptance notices is July 5th and their commit to enroll deadline is July 1st, does anyone here know if their class fills up will they email waitlisted applicants to let us know we haven't been accepted or should we just assume that after July 5th we aren't being considered anymore? I've been putting off singing a lease in another city for way too long D:

According to MSAR, the last date that UCSF will send acceptance notices is July 5th and their commit to enroll deadline is July 1st, does anyone here know if their class fills up will they email waitlisted applicants to let us know we haven't been accepted or should we just assume that after July 5th we aren't being considered anymore? I've been putting off singing a lease in another city for way too long D:

Same here, I got a CTE deadline at another school in roughly 10 days over here. Is it just diminishing returns at this point :/

• Wow
Anyone think it's worth it to send an update just to remind the committee I still exist and want to get in? I don't exactly have anything meaningful I'll be able to put in the update...

• Haha