2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got accepted to SJV PRIME too! :) First SJV Interview Date!

For those of y'all accepted to both the UCSF Program and SJV Prime Program, what are some of the considerations y'all are taking to decide between one or the other? Looks like we have until April 30th to decide

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if there's a deadline by which we need to accept the awards/modify loan amounts on the financial aid portal?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if there's a deadline by which we need to accept the awards/modify loan amounts on the financial aid portal?
I don’t remember reading about a deadline but you can modify your loan amount by submitting a form, so accepting the aid sooner rather than later won’t hurt in any way I don’t think.

• Hmm
Did all interviewees receive the UCSF warnme email in the last hour? I don't think it's anything but just curious.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Did all interviewees receive the UCSF warnme email in the last hour? I don't think it's anything but just curious.

Yes, currently WL’ed and was like “I wish I were a UCSF employee/affiliate” LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else still waiting to hear back on a decision for SJV?

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Been looking at my financial aid portal and I'm seeing "not signed" as the status for "Parent Federal Tax Return". CSS has no action items related to a signature. Is this status relevant to me or to the financial aid office? Just wondering how long I have to wait before I get my package details and if this status will delay that.

• Wow
Been looking at my financial aid portal and I'm seeing "not signed" as the status for "Parent Federal Tax Return". CSS has no action items related to a signature. Is this status relevant to me or to the financial aid office? Just wondering how long I have to wait before I get my package details and if this status will delay that.
Maybe it's saying your parent's actual tax form is missing their signature. Did you check the signature line of their 1040? And you could always call UCSF's financial aid office. I called a few days ago; they're friendly and helpful!

• Love
Maybe it's saying your parent's actual tax form is missing their signature. Did you check the signature line of their 1040? And you could always call UCSF's financial aid office. I called a few days ago; they're friendly and helpful!

I sent them an email thinking that they might be busy with phone calls what with the Bay Area lockdown. I'll give them some time to respond but will definitely call if I don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for the info though, glad they could help you out!

• Love
I sent them an email thinking that they might be busy with phone calls what with the Bay Area lockdown. I'll give them some time to respond but will definitely call if I don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for the info though, glad they could help you out!

This happen to me also! I called them last week, there’s a form online your parents need to submit it’s titled the federal tax signature declaration. It’s under forms on the website.You only need one parent to fill it out. Once they submitted it my financial aid was fully complete. So I would do that if they don’t get back to you!

This happen to me also! I called them last week, there’s a form online your parents need to submit it’s titled the federal tax signature declaration. It’s under forms on the website.You only need one parent to fill it out. Once they submitted it my financial aid was fully complete. So I would do that if they don’t get back to you!
Yeah, they emailed me back quickly and we got it all taken care of. Everything looks good on the portal now. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get the award letter ready now.

• Love
I hope they don't, and I say that as someone on the WL for whom this is their #1 choice!

The free tuition thing is so stupid. Yeah, let's give the brightest medical students from the best medical schools EVEN MORE money >.>
Most of us are in state and will match top paying residencies...debt is hardly some huge problem compared to other students.

TLDR: it has zero positive impact, and gives some of the most elite and successful individuals in the world even more money. Why not take that money and offer tuition packages to students who sign a contract to practice primary care in rural areas?

UCSF has always seemed like such a mission oriented school with great values, would be a shame to see it reduced to NYU/UCLA prestige grabbing

Our student body is arguably more diverse than any other school in the top 10. Free tuition is idealistic, for sure, but you're misrepresenting us as a bunch of rich kid ivy grad legacies. You'd be surprised. Although we have no problem matching into some of the most competitive specialties, most of our class decides to do primary care... just let that sink in for a second before making a super salty post like this. Good luck on the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Our student body is arguably more diverse than any other school in the top 10. Free tuition is idealistic, for sure, but you're misrepresenting us as a bunch of rich kid ivy grad legacies. You'd be surprised. Although we have no problem matching into some of the most competitive specialties, most of our class decides to do primary care... just let that sink in for a second before making a super salty post like this. Good luck on the waitlist!

Then make it tuition free for everyone who decides to do primary care in underserved areas :)

Problem solved?

Again, tuition free at one of the best medical schools in the country where I bet over half the people match into super competitive high paying specialties makes no sense, that's the exact same thing as saying we should be giving millionaires an extra tax break.

Also there's a lot of strawmen here...I don't remember ever commenting on the identity of the student body, or whether they are legacies...pretty sure UCSF is awesome in the sense that they make things super blind (not contacting interviewers for one) so they have a very low degree of that.

And yes, thank you for your well wishes :)

Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk more about it, this thread is for the school admissions. Hope to share the good news come April 30 lol

• Hmm
What was your title code? STUDNT?

On a more productive note: I love the whole mystery admissions gossiping that happened on other threads like Pitt, so lets get this started: maybe STUDENT means they already accepted you secretly XD

Again, tuition free at one of the best medical schools in the country where I bet over half the people match into super competitive high paying specialties makes no sense, that's the exact same thing as saying we should be giving millionaires an extra tax break.

This is where you are misunderstanding, and you would lose that bet. Knowing UCSF, they would likely roll out free tuition to PRIME programs before regular MD, so I'm not sure what you are griping about, and it also won't happen soon enough to affect you either.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk more about it, this thread is for the school admissions. Hope to share the good news come April 30 lol

Says the person who looked down on NYU/UCLA for how they decided to spend their money on the UCSF thread. If you have a problem with those schools (or UCSF for that matter), don't go there. Problem solved.

• Hmm
@syn1 So.... it seems like you are a current UCSF student. How likely is this free tuition initiative to happen in the next year or two? Seems like Dean Wofsy talked about this as a major selling point to interviewees. Any insider info?

• Wow
  • Love
@syn1 So.... it seems like you are a current UCSF student. How likely is this free tuition initiative to happen in the next year or two? Seems like Dean Wofsy talked about this as a major selling point to interviewees. Any insider info?
When I interviewed this year, Dean Wofesy made it pretty clear that this was a project that the school was working on, but not to expect anything for a while. I'm not sure if I'm recalling correctly, but I think his timeline was hopefully in the next 5 years or so.

The match list for the next year is gonna be the one to see since it'd be the first class matching with the P/F clerkship grades.

Plausible to get the donations for it i.e. from our favorite social reptile but I wouldn’t get our hopes up too much for it to be implemented in 1-2 years

Officially, they still have AOA. However, because they have p/f preclinical and p/f core clerkships, the admin told me that they expect to get rid of AOA very soon. That’s probably because they have no way to rank students anymore since basically everything is p/f through the first 3 years.

Reactions: 2 users
By the time we take Step 1, that would be P/F too right?

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mean a financial aid offer or the letter they send to everyone that has interviewed?
sorry i meant did anyone receive a financial aid award letter with a predicted amount before an acceptance?

• Wow
sorry i meant did anyone receive a financial aid award letter with a predicted amount before an acceptance?

I don't think thats ever happened with any school but I could be wrong! For them to look at your file usually you're accepted since they don't want to waste their time

Does anyone know whether updates to UCSF have any bearing on a waitlist position? Do they even review it? Does waitlist movement occur at all before April 30?

Does anyone know whether updates to UCSF have any bearing on a waitlist position? Do they even review it? Does waitlist movement occur at all before April 30?

No movement before April 30th according to their official statement! So that's the big day (well more like the week after). They don't accept LOI's usually, and they don't have waitlist ranks/positions from what I remember. Unknown if updates will help or not

I received an acceptance last week and was previously waitlisted in January. I think things may be moving before April 30th!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I received an acceptance last week and was previously waitlisted in January. I think things may be moving before April 30th!
Congrats!! did you send an update or LOI after your WL?