2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was anyone accepted to the regular MD with lower than average stats? Or without an MCAT score?
I am trying to see if students were waitlisted because of low stats.
I know someone who was an URM, got in with a low MCAT score, but had stellar experiences and story.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
financial aid Q: do y’all think it’s worth it to apply for full funding if your parents make “too much?” The CSS profile questions are so insanely detailed and I feel like I won’t get a penny anyway, even though I’m not a dependent.

high key the CSS profile took a long time to fill out LMAOOO way harder than FAFSA

Members don't see this ad :)
financial aid Q: do y’all think it’s worth it to apply for full funding if your parents make “too much?” The CSS profile questions are so insanely detailed and I feel like I won’t get a penny anyway, even though I’m not a dependent.
n=1 but as someone whose parents also make "too much," UCSF was the only school that gave me any grants. It wasn't much, but some money is better than no money.

feels like they’re gonna ask me what I ate for breakfast 2 years and 6 days ago next 😂😭

for data, I am also WL'd at both UCSF JMP and regular MD!! I am crossing my fingers there's some movement for us :)

Does anyone know the commit to enroll deadlines? Is it different for joint programs?

You guy’s think there will be a good amount of WL movement this year? I read last year’s thread and it seem like it wasn’t a whole lot like the previous years. Yet again not everyone is on SDN so.

Is it true that joint programs have a deadline of April 30th so students can't remain on the waitlist for the regular MD?
I wonder why

You guy’s think there will be a good amount of WL movement this year? I read last year’s thread and it seem like it wasn’t a whole lot like the previous years. Yet again not everyone is on SDN so.
I doubt it but I am hopeful. I wish the admissions office was more transparent with the number of applicants currently on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they replying to emails now? I emailed them last week and no response
Even though they only replied a few days after my email, they were very apologetic about their delayed response. They’re probably swamped right now so hopefully they’ll get back to you soon!

any UCR grads get into UCSF this year? I'm trying to see if its worth applying thanks!

Question for the waitlisted folks. Do you guys think that we have passed their stats prescreening? If we are waitlisted, does that mean that they no longer care about our stats or since they did not consider it as heavily in the previous stages they are going to put more emphasis on it as they review our applications again?

Question for the waitlisted folks. Do you guys think that we have passed their stats prescreening? If we are waitlisted, does that mean that they no longer care about our stats or since they did not consider it as heavily in the previous stages they are going to put more emphasis on it as they review our applications again?
I feel they’ll pit our stats, and experiences, against each other to sift down to the “winners”....if there are any winners, of course

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! I'm applying next cycle and had a quick question about UCSF. So I'm ORM and OOS and was hoping to apply to UCSF because I have a lot of research experience (21 Pubs 10 First Authors), but my stats aren't the greatest (3.82/3.74 519 MCAT). I was wondering if you think it would be worth it to apply? I was hoping because UCSF highly values research, I would hopefully have a shot of getting in?

Hey everyone! I'm applying next cycle and had a quick question about UCSF. So I'm ORM and OOS and was hoping to apply to UCSF because I have a lot of research experience (21 Pubs 10 First Authors), but my stats aren't the greatest (3.82/3.74 519 MCAT). I was wondering if you think it would be worth it to apply? I was hoping because UCSF highly values research, I would hopefully have a shot of getting in?
In my experience, with these T20/T10/T5 schools, (ESPECIALLY UCSF) it’s all about the connection between you and mission statement of the school and less about the stats (ofc stats are a factor, but UCSF leans holistic from what I’ve heard). If you genuinely feel that you have a strong argument for ‘why UCSF’, then I think you have a shot. That being said, it’s a blood bath; there are truly no guarantees in any cycle but all you can do is present your best self in your app and ride the wave. Good luck fam! Sending good vibes your wayyy for your cycle 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
P.S. for what it’s worth, I think ur stats are fine and your research experience is **chefs kiss** - I’m sure any med school (UCSF or not) would be lucky to have you 👍🏽

Reactions: 2 users
They do value research so you have a shot.

I was hoping SJV students could answer this. I remember a few commented they were only accepted to SJV. Do you guys anticipate coming off waitlist for regular MD? Just wondering how many more spots are available for the rest of us lol

do they like science research over non science research or are they treated the same? are undergrads applying expected to have a pub?

I was hoping SJV students could answer this. I remember a few commented they were only accepted to SJV. Do you guys anticipate coming off waitlist for regular MD? Just wondering how many more spots are available for the rest of us lol
Hm that’s a good question. I think there are several of us that received offers for both SJV and the trad MD tract (~4-5). I’m not sure how many of us are considering choosing the trad MD tract though considering the PRIME benefits but I anticipate a couple will choose the trad tract. That being said, I am not sure what the WL movement will look like this year bc it’s been super variable the past couple of years but I’m hoping there is good movement for y’all!

Hm that’s a good question. I think there are several of us that received offers for both SJV and the trad MD tract (~4-5). I’m not sure how many of us are considering choosing the trad MD tract though considering the PRIME benefits but I anticipate a couple will choose the trad tract. That being said, I am not sure what the WL movement will look like this year bc it’s been super variable the past couple of years but I’m hoping there is good movement for y’all!
Thanks! Fingers crossed. Is PRIME considered more competitive that trad MD? I thought it was the other way around haha

How much waitlist movement are we expecting this year? Hoping for you all!

Thanks! Fingers crossed. Is PRIME considered more competitive that trad MD? I thought it was the other way around haha
So because of the req that you are from the SJV, the Prime program is less competitive and receives less applicants but since most applicants to the Prime program legitimately want to stay and serve the valley, it makes more sense to choose Prime over non trad!

So because of the req that you are from the SJV, the Prime program is less competitive and receives less applicants but since most applicants to the Prime program legitimately want to stay and serve the valley, it makes more sense to choose Prime over non trad!
Got you. So in that case, SJV applicants are less likely to get selected from the waitlist for trad MD, correct? I wonder if anyone has asked the admissions this question.

Will we lose our WL if we PTE at a different school?
PTE:
  • If an applicant selects “Plan to Enroll” at another school, AMCAS will not identify the applicant or the other school.
CTE:

• If an applicant selects “Commit to Enroll” to a school, all other schools where the applicant also holds an acceptance or alternate-list offer will be notified but will not know the name of the school selected.
  • Selecting “Commit to Enroll” does not automatically withdraw applications from other medical schools. Applicants must communicate directly with all schools about their final decision according to each school’s specific policy.
TLDR; no

Got you. So in that case, SJV applicants are less likely to get selected from the waitlist for trad MD, correct? I wonder if anyone has asked the admissions this question.
I'm not entirely sure about that. I can update you after April 30 since I think that is when WL movement starts across the board.

waitlist movement this week and next week hopefully?? *praying*

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn’t there have been movement due to those that eliminated UCSF from their top three? Or does UCSF just wait until May 1?

Does anyone know when is the commit to enroll date for SJV? I'm sure we will see some movement after then.

Just to make sure I'm not missing something, the "Commit to Enroll" button has not yet appeared on the Choose Your Medical School Tool right?

who thinks USCF is gonna send waitlist offers tomorrow?

• Love
  • Wow
UCSF sent out lots of waitlists from what I gathered on here so I am not very optimistic about the waitlist movement. Plus the chances that a lot of people will turn down UCSF is slim compared to other schools. I am sharing this perspective because I think it is better to have a sober optimism imo (this waiting game with ucsf has been rough enough)

UCSF sent out lots of waitlists from what I gathered on here so I am not very optimistic about the waitlist movement. Plus the chances that a lot of people will turn down UCSF is slim compared to other schools. I am sharing this perspective because I think it is better to have a sober optimism imo (this waiting game with ucsf has been rough enough)

They sent some yesterday?

Edit:replied to wrong person lol