2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I just got accepted to the CCOM DO program. However, I have never been to the school before because of COVID. I also have never really been to Downers Grove or Chicago (been there when I was a kid, don't remember much). Hope I don't overwhelm you, please feel free to answer whichever parts you want. Any general advice is appreciated as well:

-Are there recorded lectures? And are lectures mandatory? How do you feel about the grading system?
-What is the exam schedule like?
-Are you happy with the facilities at the school? What do you like or don't like?
-Are you satisfied with the clinical rotation sites, and match rates?
-What is life like outside of school? Do you feel like the Downers Grove area is conducive to having a well-rounded life when it comes to having fun?
-Any living recommendations?

Thank you!

- Yes. No (except labs). It will probably change to pass/fail (almost changed mid spring quarter this year).
- Expect 2 exams and/or 2 quizzes per week
- Facilities are top notch. Don't like that there are no outlets in the lecture halls.
- Yes. Final match rates weren't give to us yet.
- It is what you make of it. DG is a middle/upperclass suburb, just go to the city if you want to do something.
- Wherever you want. Students lived on-campus, Downers Grove, other suburbs, and Chicago.

Hello, I just got accepted to the CCOM DO program. However, I have never been to the school before because of COVID. I also have never really been to Downers Grove or Chicago (been there when I was a kid, don't remember much). Hope I don't overwhelm you, please feel free to answer whichever parts you want. Any general advice is appreciated as well:

-Are there recorded lectures? And are lectures mandatory? How do you feel about the grading system?
-What is the exam schedule like?
-Are you happy with the facilities at the school? What do you like or don't like?
-Are you satisfied with the clinical rotation sites, and match rates?
-What is life like outside of school? Do you feel like the Downers Grove area is conducive to having a well-rounded life when it comes to having fun?
-Any living recommendations?

Thank you!
hey if you don't mind me asking - when did you interview?

I'm from around the area and I can comment that Downers Grove is a great suburb to live in! It has pretty much every store you can imagine and is only a short 30 minute drive (with no traffic) into the city :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm potentially interested in applying here next cycle, but I can't seem to find much information about CCOM on their website. There's only 2 sites that are extremely generalized and I can't find anything specific to CCOM. Do you guys have any useful links that maybe I haven't found yet, so I can learn about the school?

The two links I saw:
1) CCOM
2) Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine

Yeah, the main CCOM website doesn't offer much information.

This link gives you more information about the classes: Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine

I've also attached previous pre-clinical schedules.

Attachments

• MS I Winter Block Schedule 2016-2017 .pdf
    393.8 KB · Views: 174
  • MSII Winter Block Schedule 2017-2018.pdf
    702.5 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 1 users
Just received Acceptance Call, interviewed May 12 via Web Cam

Just got an acceptance via email! No phone call yet. Interviewed may 13

Just accepted via phone call, interviewed may 15

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have the academic calendar for the 2020-2021 year or any updates about COVID regarding when we matriculate?

Just got accepted! I’m actually looking for a roommate, if anyone’s interested please let me know! I’m from Virginia, and I’ve never lived in the area, so if anyone has any suggestions about where to live, I’d really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone accepted! I'm actually surprised they accepted quite a few people so soon after their interviews and late in the cycle. I interviewed remotely in early April and it seems like everyone who did around that time was either waitlisted (like me) or rejected, and we waited 3-4 weeks for the decision too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
for anyone who was recently accepted: will you be forgoing your acceptance at another school to attend CCOM? if so, why? i am trying to decide myself.

so I’m actually trying to decide between ACOM and CCOM. Personally I prefer CCOM, given their location and match list. I know it’s more expensive, but I think it’ll pay off.

should we have heard back by now from the most recent interviews? or do they send out decisions In waves?

for anyone who was recently accepted: will you be forgoing your acceptance at another school to attend CCOM? if so, why? i am trying to decide myself.
I was accepted back in February but I didn't make a final decision until a couple weeks ago because I had a tough time deciding between this and another school (Marian). I really liked both schools, but at the end of the day I really liked the idea of being so close to Chicago. Plus their rotations seem to be solid.

if you are rejected post-II do you still have access to the portal? Interviewed last week and was not one of the fortunate ones to get an acceptance call or e-mail about a waitlist today so feeling a little neurotic :(

Reactions: 2 users
if you are rejected post-II do you still have access to the portal? Interviewed last week and was not one of the fortunate ones to get an acceptance call or e-mail about a waitlist today so feeling a little neurotic :(
I'm in the same boat, and I'm just hoping our acceptance calls or emails are coming a little later. idk how it works but staying positive is helping :(

I’m trying to decide between CCOM and KCU. CCOM is much closer to home, awesome rotations, and better research opportunities. The only downside to me is the price.

does anyone know if the new class has a GroupMe? there aren't many posts in the FaceBook group (or that many members for that matter) so I am wondering if I am in the wrong one.
Yes, also the fact that there are not that many members. A portion of the group is current MW students, not incoming students.

There’s something called the “Schools” app that has some activity, mostly people looking for roommates

I’m trying to decide between CCOM and KCU. CCOM is much closer to home, awesome rotations, and better research opportunities. The only downside to me is the price.
I'm currently set to attend KCU, although I'm waitlisted here. I understand your dilemma. If I were pulled off the waitlist at CCOM, I would have trouble deciding too :( The schools seem to be on the same level in terms of reputability. If you feel like being close to home is a huge priority for you, then stick with CCOM.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm just hoping our acceptance calls or emails are coming a little later. idk how it works but staying positive is helping :(

Same. I’m in the awkward situation of getting my application ready for the next cycle and continuing my volunteering and extracurriculars or quit and pray to to hear back soon. I wouldn’t wish this on anybody.

Update: pretty sure I'm waitlisted because the pre-reqs just showed up under applicant checklist in my portal :(

Update: pretty sure I'm waitlisted because the pre-reqs just showed up under applicant checklist in my portal :(
I know it’s not the decision anyone hopes for but on the bright side, it’s not over for you yet and CCOM has a good amount of WL movement :)

I know it’s not the decision anyone hopes for but on the bright side, it’s not over for you yet and CCOM has a good amount of WL movement :)
Haha, thank you for the optimism! I truly appreciate it :)

Hi can someone tell me how strict the dress code is for classes? is it professional wear at all times- even classes? Thank you!

UPDATE: Interviewed on 05/12. Just received the news today (Saturday morning) that I’ve been put on the waitlist. I guess I’ll continue gearing up for another application cycle.

Also, can I ask an MD to send a letter of rec for me to CCOM where I’ve been doing clinical research this year? I already had an excellent letter by a DO submitted initially when I applied.

Interview 5/12 and just got the waitlist email. Does anyone have any stats on how much waitlist movement there truly is? I’m currently studying to take the mcat again for the next cycle but want to know how hopeful I should be to be taken off the waitlist

Same. I’m in the awkward situation of getting my application ready for the next cycle and continuing my volunteering and extracurriculars or quit and pray to to hear back soon. I wouldn’t wish this on anybody.
Same here :/ I’m really
Hoping to hear back in June. Restudying for the mcat and having to pay for apps again is gonna he so expensive. I want to avoid it.

Interview 5/12 and just got the waitlist email. Does anyone have any stats on how much waitlist movement there truly is? I’m currently studying to take the mcat again for the next cycle but want to know how hopeful I should be to be taken off the waitlist
So I don’t have stats, just anecdotes from people not on SDN. There is movement that happens in May but the people that I know had been accepted from the waitlist between June and July.

edit: I don’t just mean a couple of people, 6 at the least.

UPDATE: Interviewed on 05/12. Just received the news today (Saturday morning) that I’ve been put on the waitlist. I guess I’ll continue gearing up for another application cycle.

Also, can I ask an MD to send a letter of rec for me to CCOM where I’ve been doing clinical research this year? I already had an excellent letter by a DO submitted initially when I applied.
Yes it will help your app.

I need a new laptop as my Mac is over 10 years old. On the virtual session with current students they mentioned that an iPad or surface would be a good option. Any suggestions? Would a tablet be enough?

Is there a particular time I should ask my PI to submit it or should I ask him to submit it ASAP?

I need a new laptop as my Mac is over 10 years old. On the virtual session with current students they mentioned that an iPad or surface would be a good option. Any suggestions? Would a tablet be enough?

This is debatable. Some people prefer Mac laptops as they’re familiar with the operating system etc. An iPad is great as you can write notes and stuff on there but some people (like myself) don’t really like doing that. I’ve gotten into the habit of using Anki and it has worked for me. The downside with an iPad is you don’t get the full functionality of a computer. The Surface Pro can give you a PC and a tablet all in one but it’s a matter of preference. If you’re a Mac user, you may prefer to stay with Apple but transitioning to a PC shouldn’t be difficult. Just might take a little bit to get used to.

If I was big ballin’, I’d treat myself to a new Macbook and maybe an iPad (for educational purposes (Netflix) of course!) but I sure as hell ain’t ballin’ like that.

Same here :/ I’m really
Hoping to hear back in June. Restudying for the mcat and having to pay for apps again is gonna he so expensive. I want to avoid it.
I'll join you both on the life raft. Interviewed on 05/12 and received an email from MWU at 4:33 AM this morning stating I was waitlisted. My applicant checklist also populated the pre-reqs yesterday, so I think the pre-req + waitlist theory checks out. However, I'm in an even bigger predicament with respect to reapplying next cycle. My MCAT is from 2017 - most schools only accept MCAT scores from 3 years prior to matriculation. I have done some research because I have to prepare for the next cycle and found that there are still 8-9 DO schools that accept MCATS that were taken more than 3 years ago. Midwestern is not one of those schools. If I eventually get to the point where I need to reapply, I may email the admissions staff and see if they'd make an exception (accept an MCAT that is older than 3 years old) given the circumstances of the pandemic and that I'm currently waitlisted. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'll join you both on the life raft. Interviewed on 05/12 and received an email from MWU at 4:33 AM this morning stating I was waitlisted. My applicant checklist also populated the pre-reqs yesterday, so I think the pre-req + waitlist theory checks out. However, I'm in an even bigger predicament with respect to reapplying next cycle. My MCAT is from 2017 - most schools only accept MCAT scores from 3 years prior to matriculation. I have done some research because I have to prepare for the next cycle and found that there are still 8-9 DO schools that accept MCATS that were taken more than 3 years ago. Midwestern is not one of those schools. If I eventually get to the point where I need to reapply, I may email the admissions staff and see if they'd make an exception (accept an MCAT that is older than 3 years old) given the circumstances of the pandemic and that I'm currently waitlisted. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I wonder if schools will extend the general rule of thumb to four years prior to matriculation considering the pandemic. I think it's worth a shot to email the admissions committee to ask.

I'm actually in the same situation. TBH I don't really use my laptop much other than to write papers so I was wondering if I could get by with only having an iPad. I understand it may not be ideal in all circumstances, but I'm just curious about how necessary having a laptop is.

I wonder if schools will extend the general rule of thumb to four years prior to matriculation considering the pandemic. I think it's worth a shot to email the admissions committee to ask.
It's funny you said that because I was looking at PCOM's 2020-2021 admission requirements a few weeks ago and they had the three year rule. I ended up revisiting their site a few days ago and it changed to four years prior to matriculation. I think I'll end up reaching out to schools that I'm waitlisted at now that have three year rules and see if they're willing to make an exception. I'll keep everyone updated in case anyone else is in the same situation.

There's a part of me that kind of really wants to be accepted here now. Supposedly KCU is considering forgoing in-person anatomy/cadaver lab this fall. That's incredibly disappointing to me. Any students who have already been accepted to CCOM hear about what they're planning for classes yet?

There's a part of me that kind of really wants to be accepted here now. Supposedly KCU is considering forgoing in-person anatomy/cadaver lab this fall. That's incredibly disappointing to me. Any students who have already been accepted to CCOM hear about what they're planning for classes yet?
for what it's worth, most of my friends have said dissecting was a complete waste of their time during first year.