2019-2020 LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my interviews today over the phone. Talked to an M4 and a professor and a retired professor. Didnt learn anything about the school, they only asked questions about me. The lady said that their committee meeting at the end of march was cancelled until further notice. She suspected that they'd meet to discuss everyone in May
Oh no, I didn't know that was canceled...dammit. I guess we'll be waiting for quite a while. Hope you hear good news when the time does come.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are they still giving out interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
:cryi: omg im so sorry. i was worried that it would come to this. i have a video interview coming up this week at another school and i'm apprehensive about the fact that they cut out all informative components of the experience as well [admission/fin aid discussions, tour, a day in the life of a current student]. all of these things could be done virtually, too, through prerecorded videos or via informal video conference call/webinar. i'm being left with basically just the interview portion, as well, and i'm worried because i won't learn much about the school otherwise.

i know for a fact that LSU's website, especially, seems pretty bare and basic. what i suggest [and what i may do myself at the other school] is to reach out to admissions and see if they can invite you to a second-look day, in case theyre hosting one virtually for their admitted students. or potentially set up a half-hour conference call with one of the deans and ask them a bunch of questions. it's our right to ask for more information about schools, this is a big step in our lives and we shouldn't feel like we're left in the dark because of these circumstances.

Totally agreed. this is great advice, thank you! Good luck in your interviews :)

I haven't been notified that it'll be over the phone/Skype, but expecting that to happen since it's only two weeks away.

They informed me that mine would be moved to phone interview the day before the interview. I think that all interviews with them are expected to be some virtual form. Yours might not be phone, as they might have a video conference system set up by then. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Can any locals speak to streets/neighborhoods/districts that are safe/stay away from? Totally new to the area and wanted some local insight! Any input about NOLA would be awesome.

Last edited:
Can any locals speak to streets/neighborhoods/districts that are safe/stay away from? Totally new to the area and wanted some local insight! Any input about NOLA would be awesome.
Lakeview, Tulane, Uptown, Midcity, Audobon, CBD. Folks also live out in Metarie and commute in.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?
If Fin Aid is anything like the past, then you should anticipate it moving at snail's pace. As long as everything is submitted and confirmed you should be fine, but they move really slow.

If Fin Aid is anything like the past, then you should anticipate it moving at snail's pace. As long as everything is submitted and confirmed you should be fine, but they move really slow.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lakeview, Tulane, Uptown, Midcity, Audobon, CBD. Folks also live out in Metarie and commute in.
the lower garden district is also a nice area. I live in the saulet and a lot of tulane and lsu students/residents live here. It’s also close to the CBD which is where the campus is located

Just out of curiosity, what is the relationship like between Tulane and LSU students? Is there any sort of competition between the two schools?

Just out of curiosity, what is the relationship like between Tulane and LSU students? Is there any sort of competition between the two schools?
Cordial. We rotate with many of them at UMC and elsewhere. Many of us also went to undergrad together. There is no competition, only commiseration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, another question. I know it might be delayed due to COVID-19, but in the past, when did classes start?
Early August. I wouldn't expect yalls start date to be impacted at this point in time. If this stuff is still going on in full force by August, we got bigger problems.

How does grading work at LSU? I know it is H/HP/P/F, but what is usually the cut-off for each and are only a certain percentage of students going to get a particular grade? (ex. like in some college classes the profs say only 10% can get As, etc.)

Interview Update:

Just got an email about upcoming interviews and the process. They will still be conducting via telecommunication either by phone or Zoom. The day will begin with a welcome orientation with Dr. Eubanks at 10:00am and will be followed by three phone calls set up in 40 minute increments. It's up to the interviewer to decide if they would like to meet via Zoom or telephone.

How does grading work at LSU? I know it is H/HP/P/F, but what is usually the cut-off for each and are only a certain percentage of students going to get a particular grade? (ex. like in some college classes the profs say only 10% can get As, etc.)
LSU gets letter grades

Update on committee meetings:
Dr. Eubanks held an online orientation for those of us who didn't get one beforehand, and let us know that they are currently scheduling a meeting to discuss all applicants in the next few weeks!

F/P/HP/H Preclinicals will use straight numbers for cut-offs. Clinicals it varies a bit on the cut-offs since they will use your percentiles from the shelf for determining the grade in some classes.

Does anyone know when they release financial aid packets or decide on scholarships?

Update I got yesterday

“Due to the COVID-19 crisis our regularly scheduled Admissions Committee was to be held on March 27th. The Admissions Committee decided to postpone this meeting until a later date. At this time your application has been put on hold and no decision has been made. Please understand that this does not effect any future decisions being made on your admissions to medical school. The committee will meet one to two more times before the close of the admissions cycle.

We will keep you up to date when any decision is made on your application.

We hope you and your family stay well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Update I got yesterday

“Due to the COVID-19 crisis our regularly scheduled Admissions Committee was to be held on March 27th. The Admissions Committee decided to postpone this meeting until a later date. At this time your application has been put on hold and no decision has been made. Please understand that this does not effect any future decisions being made on your admissions to medical school. The committee will meet one to two more times before the close of the admissions cycle.

We will keep you up to date when any decision is made on your application.

We hope you and your family stay well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!!

Year 1: How things work.
-Fall: Anatomy and Biochem (The main beasts), as well as CSI, a class on the basics of how to do doctoring (H&P, PE).
-Spring: Histo and physio are the big courses for the majority of the block; Genetics, Immunology,Human Behavior and Development (Some psych and development stuff), Stats, and more CSI round out the rest. This semester is a hodgepodge of the smaller classes surrounding Histo and physio. The smaller classes last 4-6 wks at a time and rarely overlap with anything other than CSI, Histo, and Phys.

Year 2: How things go wrong (Pathology).
Start with Foundations (The Fundamentals of Bugs, Drugs, and Pathology) and then go into neurology/neuropath. After Neuro is over you begin the romp through the pathology of each organ system one at a time w/each one lasting 4-6wks and being the only material studied at that time. You will do Cards, Pulm, Msk/Derm, Heme, GI, and Renal. During this year you will do a longitudinal selective (Fancy word for elective) class where you do 5 days of shadowing in a field of your choice, or a special topic small group such as Humanities in Medicine, Palliative care, or other fun topics. During this year you will continue learning how to doctor w/CSI and begin delving a little deeper into those skills.

Anatomy Lab is mandatory in year 1, other than that you only need to be present for certain lectures and small group activities. The majority of year 2 is non-mandatory recorded lectures w/in-house midterm exams, and Shelf/NBME qbank finals. You will have at least 1-2 TBLs for every unit, as well as some lagniappe small group stuff throughout the years such as skill labs and ethics lectures.

During Year 2 you will also be studying for STEP 1. For those who have no idea what that is don't worry about it til year 2. For those that are already worrying about and haven't even started medical school yet: Chill the f' out and relax for a bit. Worrying about step 1 now is like freaking out for the MCAT as a high school junior. Just know it exists, and that you will deal with it at the appropriate time. In the meantime: Enjoy the ride.

If any current first years want to chime in with how things have different since I crossed over into the clerkships world, feel free.

Hey SouthernGent -I was checking out the academic calendar and it has Freshman classes end on May 15, then it says Classes Resume on May 26, but that Classes for Sophomores begin on June 27. Trying to get a gauge on how much time there is off between the first and second "year" of medical school and this was slightly confusing. Thanks!

Hey SouthernGent -I was checking out the academic calendar and it has Freshman classes end on May 15, then it says Classes Resume on May 26, but that Classes for Sophomores begin on June 27. Trying to get a gauge on how much time there is off between the first and second "year" of medical school and this was slightly confusing. Thanks!
1st year classes should end on May 15th, 2nd year classes don't start until July 27th. This is all barring anything crazy with COVID. The "Classes Resume" you see is in regards to 3rd years who still have classes until Mid/Late June (Lucky us). You get a good chunk of time off for your last summer break,

1st year classes should end on May 15th, 2nd year classes don't start until July 27th. This is all barring anything crazy with COVID. The "Classes Resume" you see is in regards to 3rd years who still have classes until Mid/Late June (Lucky us). You get a good chunk of time off for your last summer break,

Are there reviews sessions after classes/before exams?

Heads up— there is a board meeting this Friday. Good luck to everyone!
As far as I know, the last meeting will be early May.

Reactions: 6 users
Where do I send an update letter to? Would I email it? Thanks

Heads up— there is a board meeting this Friday. Good luck to everyone!
As far as I know, the last meeting will be early May.

Do you think this changes the usual way of things: first being placed on waitlist and then later accepted? I interviewed via phone call, so I'm hoping to hear some good news!

I'm wondering how soon that Choose Your Medical School Tool will update after the meeting o_O

Reactions: 2 users
When I interviewed in December I think Dr. Eubanks said that it was like Louisiana law that 50% of the class had to be filled by mid april, meaning that a lot of acceptances would be sent out in late April and early May.

I’m just going off the Facebook page for c/o 2024, but you guys are absolutely right; people may rescind their acceptances and I’m only really using that number as a really rough estimate. Maybe using a finite number was too presumptive.

I’m just going off the Facebook page for c/o 2024, but you guys are absolutely right; people may rescind their acceptances and I’m only really using that number as a really rough estimate. Maybe using a finite number was too presumptive.
How do you know there is a meeting today?