2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
#2 Scenario only IMHO.

I have yet to meet anyone who has been through such a challenging process to just give up now with an A in their hand.
I think that's the most likely case as well, though I've known quite a few people who have deferred their acceptances.

*Not this year, but in previous years*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reached out to Dr. Callahan, she essentially informed me that students have until the 28th to CTE and they don't know how many people are holding on to acceptances that are not planning to enroll, but they have not really started moving to the waitlist yet. She doesn't know when they will.

I thought they have to "plan to enroll" in order to hold on to the A? Can people PTE at another school and still keep the A at Jefferson?

Members don't see this ad :)
I reached out to Dr. Callahan, she essentially informed me that students have until the 28th to CTE and they don't know how many people are holding on to acceptances that are not planning to enroll, but they have not really started moving to the waitlist yet. She doesn't know when they will.
That was the exact same thing she said to me when I communicated with her. So, she essentially doesn't know how many people on the PTE that will/won't enroll.

At this point, can we brainstorm the realistic scenarios in which some students won't CTE?
- COVID restrictions (having most clinical groups/interactions virtually carried out), so they defer a year
- WL movement at other schools that they are waiting on (though this seems less likely at this point)
- Change in motivation, don't want to go into medicine anymore due to the trauma of the pandemic/other reasons, and therefore just drop their A

Just curious for you both, how recent was your communication w Dean? I know this info has been mentioned but just wondering how recent/ up to date it is

Only #2 tbh. I wish the others could be realistic bc even this seems unlikely at this stage but they really don’t seem to be.

#1 not worth it because so many schools will be ambiguous about their plans even at prematriculaton and can all change at the drop of a hat so no one knows how COVID restrictions (could even loosen up - not likely IMO, but a lot of people’s best guess is as good as anyone else’s right now) will impact M1. Jeff is one saying in person too last I heard (anyone feel free to correct me)

Since you mentioned knowing people who have deferred in previous years, I know people who have done this but it is usually for PeaceCorps or Fulbright or some incredible opportunity and the # of these available is smaller than ever.

#3 is probably n=0 because if you got accepted you already convinced a med school you have exposed yourself enough to the profession and thought deeply about this being the right choice for you and it’s hard to make someone else believe it if it’s not an engrained core belief of your own

Just curious for you both, how recent was your communication w Dean? I know this info has been mentioned but just wondering how recent/ up to date it is

Only #2 tbh. I wish the others could be realistic bc even this seems unlikely at this stage but they really don’t seem to be.

#1 not worth it because so many schools will be ambiguous about their plans even at prematriculaton and can all change at the drop of a hat so no one knows how COVID restrictions (could even loosen up - not likely IMO, but a lot of people’s best guess is as good as anyone else’s right now) will impact M1. Jeff is one saying in person too last I heard (anyone feel free to correct me)

Since you mentioned knowing people who have deferred in previous years, I know people who have done this but it is usually for PeaceCorps or Fulbright or some incredible opportunity and the # of these available is smaller than ever.

#3 is probably n=0 because if you got accepted you already convinced a med school you have exposed yourself enough to the profession and thought deeply about this being the right choice for you and it’s hard to make someone else believe it if it’s not an engrained core belief of your own

To your first question, it was Mid-May.

With Jefferson being a school that takes a substantial amount of students off the waitlist, this delay is really discouraging me. Maybe it's just slow because of COVID, I guess we can just hope and speculate at this point. Hang in there fellow waitlist gang!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Maybe send it in june 15th, but only send it to one school!

The thought here is that my application will get approved by AMCAS by submitting to one school and then I can always go back and apply to more once I know I didn't get off a waitlist?

If that's what you're saying, you a truly a bright person.

Reactions: 1 user
The thought here is that my application will get approved by AMCAS by submitting to one school and then I can always go back and apply to more once I know I didn't get off a waitlist?

If that's what you're saying, you a truly a bright person.
yes, definitely do that!

Did anybody else who didn't get an II recently get a letter from the dean? It was oddly worded so I'm not sure if it's the general rejection e-mail that comes at the end of the cycle or if my application was especially bad.

Did anybody else who didn't get an II recently get a letter from the dean? It was oddly worded so I'm not sure if it's the general rejection e-mail that comes at the end of the cycle or if my application was especially bad.

Would you feel comfortable posting a screen shot of the email here?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did she offer anything beyond a 1-2 liner thanking you? Like any insights on the WL or status of the accepted class so far?

*Edit: Not for me, but I am so desperately curious at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Did she offer anything beyond a 1-2 liner thanking you? Like any insights on the WL or status of the accepted class so far?

*Edit: Not for me, but I am so desperately curious at this point.
Nope, just a thanks

• Sad
Does anyone think June 15 will have any significant or am I just too naive at this point... it looks like a couple schools have a CTE deadline of 6/15 ? Grabbing at straws because idk what else there could be at this point

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone think June 15 will have any significant or am I just too naive at this point... it looks like a couple schools have a CTE deadline of 6/15 ? Grabbing at straws because idk what else there could be at this point
I wish I knew if June 15th or June 30th would have an impact on WL movement at this point...

Someone on the FB group just posted today saying that they were accepted off the waitlist and are looking for a roommate/apartment, etc. So it looks like there is some movement going on.

Someone on the FB group just posted today saying that they were accepted off the waitlist and are looking for a roommate/apartment, etc. So it looks like there is some movement going on.

Definitely makes sense especially at this stage :( thanks for letting us know.

Edit. Not sure if this is good news or bad news, but atleast it helps to be less in the dark...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for the update! Can you let us know if you see more similar posts over the next couple of weeks!

Okay guys, I'm going to attempt to call the admissions office tomorrow out of pure desperation. I am so lucky that I have another acceptance, but it is across the country and I have to sign a lease by the end of the week or could end up without housing. Going to try to see if they will give me any information about future waitlist movement, wish me luck /:

Reactions: 7 users
Okay guys, I'm going to attempt to call the admissions office tomorrow out of pure desperation. I am so lucky that I have another acceptance, but it is across the country and I have to sign a lease by the end of the week or could end up without housing. Going to try to see if they will give me any information about future waitlist movement, wish me luck /:

best of luck!!!!

Update: no answer. I am assuming that they are out of the office due to COVID, so I am going to shoot Dr. Callahan an email and see if she would be willing to speak on the phone this week. I am honestly not expecting a response, which is a huge bummer because I loved this school

Update: no answer. I am assuming that they are out of the office due to COVID, so I am going to shoot Dr. Callahan an email and see if she would be willing to speak on the phone this week. I am honestly not expecting a response, which is a huge bummer because I loved this school
That’s so weird.. they had answered previously when I called once back in May (so when COVID was still happening). Maybe something is just going on today? Dr. Callahan is usually pretty responsive when it comes to emails so hopefully she’ll get back to you!

They just called me back! The woman basically said that movement is happening but to email Dr. Callahan. Can anyone confirm her email for me? I'd like to verify that I'm using the correct one

They just called me back! The woman basically said that movement is happening but to email Dr. Callahan. Can anyone confirm her email for me? I'd like to verify that I'm using the correct one
Poor Dr. C is gonna get a lot of emails..

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
So it seems like one person was taken off the wait list, and that was it? What's going on...

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
So it seems like one person was taken off the wait list, and that was it? What's going on...
It's hard to say. According to the Facebook group, like 15 people have joined in the past week or so, with only 4 of them having SKMC as their listed school on FB. This doesn't mean that the others aren't current students, but the others have other schools or locations listed, so it's very possible that they are new acceptees.

It's hard to say. According to the Facebook group, like 15 people have joined in the past week or so, with only 4 of them having SKMC as their listed school on FB. This doesn't mean that the others aren't current students, but the others have other schools or locations listed, so it's very possible that they are new acceptees.
It's also possible these were already accepted students who didn't put in their CTE until now..

Who knows honestly...
I've been told that WL movement happens (not a lot) through July, so I suppose we just have to keep waiting to see. Dean C has been pretty positive and responsive to my emails/updates - I can't imagine she would if there was like 0 shot of more WL movement happening..

It's also possible these were already accepted students who didn't put in their CTE until now..
That's true, but a lot of people who will likely commit to Jeff haven't done their CTE yet, myself included. For those of us on a WL somewhere else who are still holding out hope, we probably won't commit to enroll until the last minute. Overall I've tried my best to be optimistic here on this thread, but honestly, I'd say if you haven't gotten an acceptance anywhere yet, make sure you have your next cycle's app submitted ASAP, cause to hold your breath for an A at this point might not be the best plan. Though some will get lucky!

Yes I got a call and it was this morning!! I posted some advice I followed on the overall WL support thread. Happy to answer any more specific details or give advice over PM as well. Everyone has been so helpful to me here I want to do the same!!
Just saw your post over there! Congrats!

So you emailed your interviewer, even though the school specifically asks that all communication go through admissions email and/or the dean. Sounds like you took a pretty significant risk, as some interviewers might really not like that. I'm glad it went well for you!

Just thinking aloud - not sure if I would do it.... hard to gauge from a 45 min interview if my interviewer is the type of individual who would be receptive to that kind of nudge...

I was lucky enough to get off the waitlist at my top choice yesterday, so with some sadness, I just withdrew my acceptance from Jefferson. I sincerely hope one of you gets to take my seat!!! Best of luck to each of you!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I was lucky enough to get off the waitlist at my top choice yesterday, so with some sadness, I just withdrew my acceptance from Jefferson. I sincerely hope one of you gets to take my seat!!! Best of luck to each of you!

Congrats!!! Did you withdraw yesterday or today?