2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you on the HPWL or accepted?
I'm accepted but if the ivy you went to is Penn, Jeff interviews a lot of Penn students and selects the best from them. It's a Philadelphia region thing and the accepted students group has 5-6 Penn students

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not all about stats. I have same Mcat and have 5 A one from a top 30 and an an ORM female. A lot is also about writing and how you sell yourself. People don’t realize how important your essays/LOR are
100% agree. I have higher stats, but got rejected from the schools I applied to because my activities sections descriptions were so generic. Stats and good ECs mean nothing if you don’t what you got out of your experiences well.

Reactions: 1 user
hey all-

I am currently home in the midwest due to my lab in Philly getting shut down. I sent a letter of intent/update letting them know I was back home and what I was doing/that they're still my top choice. We are now reopening and I am going back to Philly to finish up / move out at the end of June before my lease ends and I leave the east coast. Do you think it would make sense to call/email letting them know I am "in the area" and would stay in a heartbeat if I was accepted?

I have an A with a CTE of June 29 so I won't be able to benefit from any post-CTE date movement...

I just don't want to move my life back home and have to (get to?) drive it all back the next day after an A, am I delusional for thinking this info would have ANY effect? (probably).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey all-

I am currently home in the midwest due to my lab in Philly getting shut down. I sent a letter of intent/update letting them know I was back home and what I was doing/that they're still my top choice. We are now reopening and I am going back to Philly to finish up / move out at the end of June before my lease ends and I leave the east coast. Do you think it would make sense to call/email letting them know I am "in the area" and would stay in a heartbeat if I was accepted?

I have an A with a CTE of June 29 so I won't be able to benefit from any post-CTE date movement...

I just don't want to move my life back home and have to (get to?) drive it all back the next day after an A, am I delusional for thinking this info would have ANY effect? (probably).
Im in the exact same situation. I have to move across the country (I live outside Philly), so I really would need to hear back from Jeff ASAP and I don't know what the best way to go about it is. I can't imagine moving out of Philly then receiving an acceptance in July

It’s not all about stats. I have same Mcat and have 5 A one from a top 30 and an an ORM female. A lot is also about writing and how you sell yourself. People don’t realize how important your essays/LOR are
Yeah I do worry about sentiment like the above.

I have a very similar, if not same, likelihood of acceptance at SKMC as @mdapplicant2024, given the fact we are in the same position at the moment. That is, if they are on the HPWL.

I only applied to about 12 schools. Everyone's story is different.

100% agree. I have higher stats, but got rejected from the schools I applied to because my activities sections descriptions were so generic. Stats and good ECs mean nothing if you don’t what you got out of your experiences well.

It's really hard trying to decide whether or not to retake (I've been there). I know you guys are all just sharing your personal experiences and know that like all things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle and it is so unique to each person. I do just want to point out that applications are scored when screened. Stats and ECs both count in this score, and each school weighs different factors differently. So, multiple applicants may have "stellar" ECs, but based on how they chose to quantify it (because they have to at the end of the day), one applicants EC "score" may have given them a higher bump to make up for their stats score (not just MCAT, but also GPA and course rigor, etc.). The interview then, is one part of this overall score. So, if you have an overall lower score to begin with (still meeting threshold for interview), you still likely need to do better on the interview while applicants with higher scores coming into the interview may have more room. Each school is unique, but this seems to be overall a consistent practice suggesting that not all applicants are on even footing even after being offered an interview. Additionally, I have heard that unranked waitlists are even somewhat divided by tiers based on the score that has already been assigned to you. Once again, I am saying this purely from an advice standpoint because I understand there are so many factors to consider when trying decide whether to retake or not.

I think that's very true that you can get in with low stats, but reapplying after being unsuccessful with low stats is a VERY different story. Your chances as a reapplicant do not increase unless you change something, and low MCAT will keep you away the second time as stats increase every year and reapplicant status puts you down in priority. If you were successful now @liblib2019, you can claim you can get in with low stats. I think you really should redo the MCAT. Speak to a premed counselor at your ivy, purchase one privately. Have a professional counselor go over your application with you. Talk to the adcoms here if you can. Don't shoot yourself in the foot

I think that's very true that you can get in with low stats, but reapplying after being unsuccessful with low stats is a VERY different story. Your chances as a reapplicant do not increase unless you change something, and low MCAT will keep you away the second time as stats increase every year and reapplicant status puts you down in priority. If you were successful now @liblib2019, you can claim you can get in with low stats. I think you really should redo the MCAT. Speak to a premed counselor at your ivy, purchase one privately. Have a professional counselor go over your application with you. Talk to the adcoms here if you can. Don't shoot yourself in the foot
Correct! My message wasn’t 100% clear. Stats matter, but don’t overestimate their ability. I applied to super competitive schools and didn’t flesh out my activity descriptions, so it turned good, not great ECs into cookie cutter ECs. My app was DOA.

hey all-

So take this with a grain of salt because it wasn’t Jeff and idk how Jeff feels, however, one school I interviewed at told us that if a CRE deadline is approaching for our accepted school but school X (being the school I interviewed at) is my top choice, they said to call/email the director of admissions and let them know that you have to CTE but you really want to come to school X

So take this with a grain of salt because it wasn’t Jeff and idk how Jeff feels, however, one school I interviewed at told us that if a CRE deadline is approaching for our accepted school but school X (being the school I interviewed at) is my top choice, they said to call/email the director of admissions and let them know that you have to CTE but you really want to come to school X
I've been told they literally cannot accept anyone until people begin to withdraw their PTEs* for other schools who they get off the WL.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey all-

Im in the exact same situation. I have to move across the country (I live outside Philly), so I really would need to hear back from Jeff ASAP and I don't know what the best way to go about it is. I can't imagine moving out of Philly then receiving an acceptance in July

I've been told they literally cannot accept anyone until people begin to withdraw their CTEs for other schools who they get off the WL.

Based on last night's discussion on this thread, I think what @liblib2019 pointed out is true, that they cannot accept anyone until current acceptees they withdraw their PTEs (can't withdraw a CTE) unfortunately. However, even if they were open to earlier CTE deadlines as @FuturePedsDoc1993 says best case scenario, I think this would be still very much be priority over students personal situations since it is more of a definitive deadline and technically they could still have you even if you did move. It's not that they don't care on a personal level, but their hands are tied right now and they really do prioritize what is best for them at this point.

Yeah I do worry about sentiment like the above.

I have a very similar, if not same, likelihood of acceptance at SKMC as @mdapplicant2024, given the fact we are in the same position at the moment. That is, if they are on the HPWL.

I only applied to about 12 schools. Everyone's story is different.
I think what people are saying is true, stats are important, and your MCAT is just a little low, though not horrendously low. You could consider retaking the MCAT (now is a great time because it is only 5.5 hours long!! ;)). But you could also consider reapplying and applying more broadly! I honestly think that had a greater impact on your results than your MCAT score. I have a friend who had a 4.0 and a 521 MCAT with great EC's and he thought that meant he only needed to apply to 8 schools... well they were all top 10 schools and he got waitlisted at one, rejected from 2 post-interview, and didn't hear back from the others. Chances are, he'll have to reapply this cycle. That is one person who should not need to reapply, but he didn't listen to wise counsel to apply broadly, even with stellar stats.

If you don't want to retake the MCAT, none of us would blame you haha, but you'll have to apply more broadly and that includes DO, if you didn't already. A 508 is at the low end of most MD programs, and there is always a chance that you won't get in even if you reapply. For more success with your current stats, you should consider applying to 25-30 schools, 5 of those being reaches, 15 of those being low-mid-tier, and 10 being low-tier/DO. I know it's expensive, but a lot of us are in the same boat in that regard. Many of us had to take time off just to save enough money to apply to so many schools, and some people took out loans to do so. By needing to reapply, you put off your physician salary by a year, so most of us assume the sacrifice is worthwhile. Even applying to 32 schools, I only spent like $7-8k on apps and interviews, but then again I was lucky enough to get an early acceptance so I only had to go to 6 out of 12 of them.

EDIT: You also very well may get off the waitlist, that is obviously what we're all rooting for!

Last edited:
I think what people are saying is true, stats are important, and your MCAT is just a little low, though not horrendously low. You could consider retaking the MCAT (now is a great time because it is only 5.5 hours long!! ;)). But you could also consider reapplying and applying more broadly! I honestly think that had a greater impact on your results than your MCAT score. I have a friend who had a 4.0 and a 521 MCAT with great EC's and he thought that meant he only needed to apply to 8 schools... well they were all top 10 schools and he got waitlisted at one, rejected from 2 post-interview, and didn't hear back from the others. Chances are, he'll have to reapply this cycle. That is one person who should not need to reapply, but he didn't listen to wise counsel to apply broadly, even with stellar stats.

If you don't want to retake the MCAT, none of us would blame you haha, but you'll have to apply more broadly and that includes DO, if you didn't already. A 508 is at the low end of most MD programs, and there is always a chance that you won't get in even if you reapply. For more success with your current stats, you should consider applying to 25-30 schools, 5 of those being reaches, 15 of those being low-mid-tier, and 10 being low-tier/DO. I know it's expensive, but a lot of us are in the same boat in that regard. Many of us had to take time off just to save enough money to apply to so many schools, and some people took out loans to do so. By needing to reapply, you put off your physician salary by a year, so most of us assume the sacrifice is worthwhile. Even applying to 32 schools, I only spent like $7-8k on apps and interviews, but then again I was lucky enough to get an early acceptance so I only had to go to 6 out of 12 of them.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice!

to add to this, I only got a 510! I am really proud of it even though it's "low" because I was managing a lot while studying and did the best I could in my given situation. Could I have done better if I had taken it again and allotted more time? yes, but I decided to apply anyway without a retake. It worked out for me (although I am a n=1). Like you I have been working in a lab and have some really great EC/experiences.

I applied to 26 schools in a wide spectrum of stats like @AdductorMagnus suggested. I initially took a list of 15 schools to my parents (who were helping me pay for apps #bless) and they had me add 10(!) more schools even though my chances were slim and I should have played it maybe more "safe" according to my premed advisor. Yeah I got a lot of pre II rejection but I was invited to interview at 2 T5 schools and waitlisted after which was insane to me because over half of my "safety schools" that were on my initial list didn't even interview me. Basically it's a crapshoot and it doesn't make sense but one part of your app is not the determining factor!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I emailed Dean Callahan a couple days ago but didnt get a response till this morning. The black paragraph is my question, and the blue is her response. So if I understand correctly June 20th is the day that we will know for sure?
C72B5A98-B5E7-41F6-A79E-7B7635340A66.jpeg

Okay thanks y'all for the clarification! I was confused the whole day

historically, this school has had huge wl movement....

yet this year, complete silence. im literally in shock

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone directly asked the dean if there will be movement ...or is so far everything heard through the grapevine

I probably shouldn't obsess over this, but if the dean said they haven't yet gone to their waitlist, why did we hear on this thread of an acceptance a few weeks ago shortly after the April 30th deadline? (This was from a secondary account.)

I probably shouldn't obsess over this, but if the dean said they haven't yet gone to their waitlist, why did we hear on this thread of an acceptance a few weeks ago shortly after the April 30th deadline? (This was from a secondary account.)

I was thinking that too and figure it was just a miscommunication. The student could have said something about being accepted or talked about other waitlist schools or anything really. I actually called the admissions office and a woman answered and said waitlist was moving but only dean really knows the details. She had a heavier accent and I just think it was probably a miscommunication and she honestly just didn’t know. Especially since historically there is heavy waitlist movement after may 1 for Jeff. In short, I trust what the dean has said as the final word with what is actually happening and anything else just being a mixup.

Sooooo what I am hearing is that there is very little hope of any of us getting off the waitlist, at least within the next few weeks?

Sooooo what I am hearing is that there is very little hope of any of us getting off the waitlist, at least within the next few weeks?
Apparently. I suppose the question to consider now is what the WL movement is at other schools, either currently or predicted in the next 3 weeks. Though, I imagine this might be impossible to tease out with any given accuracy.

Hey guys! I know I’m behind on this fact but on the email that we received Monday morning about the readiness assessment etc. went out to 269 people. When I hit reply all that’s how many come up so idk where that 219 came from but from what I’ve been reading it seems like you guys are right and at the moment the class is full which is why there hasn’t been much movement. But I’m sure there’s a good amount of people waiting on other waitlists.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! I know I’m behind on this fact but on the email that we received Monday morning about the readiness assessment etc. went out to 269 people. When I hit reply all that’s how many come up so idk where that 219 came from but from what I’ve been reading it seems like you guys are right and at the moment the class is full which is why there hasn’t been much movement. But I’m sure there’s a good amount of people waiting on other waitlists.
okay this makes so much more sense now haha thank you!

Is anyone following other school threads with regards to waitlist movement? This is the only one I’ve been paying attention to and I’m just wondering if other schools WL movement is happening as normal or if it’s more quiet overall this year.. I feel like typically by now most schools would have done their waitlist movement already so I just don’t know how any of those PTEs would drop at this stage... especially since it would likely only for a higher ranked/ more competitive school

Is anyone following other school threads with regards to waitlist movement? This is the only one I’ve been paying attention to and I’m just wondering if other schools WL movement is happening as normal or if it’s more quiet overall this year.. I feel like typically by now most schools would have done their waitlist movement already so I just don’t know how any of those PTEs would drop at this stage... especially since it would likely only for a higher ranked/ more competitive school
Let’s put it this way. There are 270 ppl on this list. Let’s say it’s split 50/50 between PTE-CTE (which i believe is fair), that would LIKELY mean ~135 ppl are waiting on waitlists. It will be a slow trickle, but there are good odds that SOME of them get off waitlists. From lurking previous years and comparing them to this year and last, WL movement is changing, so we cannot really rely on the past to determine what is happening now. WL may move A lot ; it may not, but IT IS likely that SOME MOVEMENT WILL HAPPEN! It’s a matter of when, not if.

The other school I am following is going through the same thing. No waitlist movement whatsoever. This whole process seems incredibly flawed haha.

Let’s put it this way. There are 270 ppl on this list. Let’s say it’s split 50/50 between PTE-CTE (which i believe is fair), that would LIKELY mean ~135 ppl are waiting on waitlists. It will be a slow trickle, but there are good odds that SOME of them get off waitlists. From lurking previous years and comparing them to this year and last, WL movement is changing, so we cannot really rely on the past to determine what is happening now. WL may move A lot ; it may not, but IT IS likely that SOME MOVEMENT WILL HAPPEN! It’s a matter of when, not if.
Is 50/50 split the likely average based on data from previous years? Or is it a guesstimate?

I'm waitlisted at two other schools. Both have had no waitlist movement either.

The other school I am following is going through the same thing. No waitlist movement whatsoever. This whole process seems incredibly flawed haha.
I'm waitlisted at two other schools. Both have had no waitlist movement either.

thank you everyone for your responses.

one thing i just thought of is i recall having seen spreadsheets here on sdn that show the # of waitlist positions and # of typical people taken off so people cans see the % chance. i think i remember last year it coming out to like <20% chance or so at jeff and that was with when they took 40 waitlist seats but i could be misremembering (does anyone else know the sheet i am talking about? can't find it now :( ). i was just wondering because say for example on average any given applicant has a 10% chance of getting off a waitlist, 10% of 135 applicants would be 13 people.

it's also hard to tell how many of those PTEs if taken off the waitlist are actually serious about switching schools, since some may be strictly putting off CTE because they can and to keep their options open, which is completely fair after making it this far

thank you everyone for your responses.

one thing i just thought of is i recall having seen spreadsheets here on sdn that show the # of waitlist positions and # of typical people taken off so people cans see the % chance. i think i remember last year it coming out to like <20% chance or so at jeff and that was with when they took 40 waitlist seats but i could be misremembering (does anyone else know the sheet i am talking about? can't find it now :( ). i was just wondering because say for example on average any given applicant has a 10% chance of getting off a waitlist, 10% of 135 applicants would be 13 people.

it's also hard to tell how many of those PTEs if taken off the waitlist are actually serious about switching schools, since some may be strictly putting off CTE because they can and to keep their options open, which is completely fair after making it this far
Also keeping in mind 13 slots may end up being 30 or so WL acceptances because of retention rates!

I've been following my state school (though I was R-ed lol) and they are moving as normal. They rank their students on the WL and they accepted up to high 30s and is entering 40s now. I don't remember anymore but I think they take typically 50-80 off of WL.

I'm really worried about ours.

I've been following my state school (though I was R-ed lol) and they are moving as normal. They rank their students on the WL and they accepted up to high 30s and is entering 40s now. I don't remember anymore but I think they take typically 50-80 off of WL.

Wow, what's the school if you don't mind me asking?

I haven't looked back at the previous threads, but does anyone know if there has been WL movement like this in previous years? E.g. class being full mid-May, and then the WL opening up later?

I haven't looked back at the previous threads, but does anyone know if there has been WL movement like this in previous years? E.g. class being full mid-May, and then the WL opening up later?
From what I remembered, multiple ppl got accepted off the WL around May 1st, then 1 or 2 around May 15th, and then after that hardly anybody.

From what I remembered, multiple ppl got accepted off the WL around May 1st, then 1 or 2 around May 15th, and then after that hardly anybody.
But they supposedly accepted 30+ students off the WL that year? (from what I recall from my interview)

But they supposedly accepted 30+ students off the WL that year? (from what I recall from my interview)
Yeah I guess but not everyone is active on SDN tho. I was just talking about the WL movement reported on SDN :D.

sigh me too

no this really isn’t normal at all, majority of waitlist happens early may and Jeff is a school that consistently uses their waitlist to fill a decent number of slots (they said about 20% on interview day). either they gave a lot more acceptances this year or yield was much higher than expected. I tend to guess the later because I assume most schools probably have an idea of how many they accept each year and want to be careful not to overall since they get fined. honestly this is the first year this is happening w Jeff so I am trying not to be woe is us and why did this have to happen our cycle since it is pretty unfortunate... but everything happens for a reason I guess

Withdrew from the HPWL today. Going to go forward with CTE at my acceptance. Good luck y’all!

Reactions: 10 users
Beginning to wonder if WL movement is dead, or approaching the end, throughout the system. I can't imagine the logistics of a situation in which substantial movement could really happen at this point (because of the 4/30 deadline to drop all but one, then the one wave of WL movement in the larger system). I just don't see how there could be without people holding lots of As then dropping them. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. Very open to being wrong/challenged with potential scenarios.

Reactions: 4 users
Beginning to wonder if WL movement is dead, or approaching the end, throughout the system. I can't imagine the logistics of a situation in which substantial movement could really happen at this point (because of the 4/30 deadline to drop all but one, then the one wave of WL movement in the larger system). I just don't see how there could be without people holding lots of As then dropping them. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. Very open to being wrong/challenged with potential scenarios.
I feel you, it's important to be realistic to manage our expectations. It's also important to NOT rely entirely on SDN. If I had to guesstimate, I would say 1/3 of active cycle applicants are on SDN. So if we feel there isn't a ton of WL movement at other schools, perhaps we are wrong due to lack of representation on SDN.

Dean Callahan said that there was no WL movement at all, per one week ago. The class is currently full and she sounded like they were waiting until the PTE people drop to start the WL movement, but she is unsure when that might be...

Hi all. Question not related to the WL. Does anyone here know how the semester is going to start with COVID going on? I checked the university website and the most recent update is still the tuition freeze. Orientation is in July and that's pretty soon. Any insider info?