2018-2019 Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At this point I’m not really gonna stress out too much and try to enjoy my summer as much as I can

This is the right idea. Being on the waitlist is brutal (I was on it when I applied and got in around this time). My advice is send in your letter of interest or update or whatever, then do your best to forget about it and have some fun this summer! This is all out of your control at this point. Consider it a practice for how hard the match process is before match day!

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the right idea. Being on the waitlist is brutal (I was on it when I applied and got in around this time). My advice is send in your letter of interest or update or whatever, then do your best to forget about it and have some fun this summer! This is all out of your control at this point. Consider it a practice for how hard the match process is before match day!

Good luck to everyone!

Accepted to Temple currently (it’ll come down to Temple vs Jeff), but I just don’t know how much longer to hold out for Jeff because finding housing is a pretty big pain right now, and if I go to Temple I’d have a great housing situation. The COA would be the same for me for both schools.

I think both places are awesome, but it seems like Jeff is perceived to “have the better name” and would be better if I wanted to try and go into specialty?

Last edited:
Accepted to Temple currently (it’ll come down to Temple vs Jeff), but I just don’t know how much longer to hold out for Jeff because finding housing is a pretty big pain right now, and if I go to Temple I’d have a great housing situation. The COA would be the same for me for both schools.

I think both places are awesome, but it seems like Jeff is perceived to “have the better name” and would be better if I wanted to try and go into specialty?
Both schools I think are pretty similar in terms of rankings and reputation. Definitely don't make that the deciding factor between the two. Go with fit and where you felt most comfortable because both schools will get you where you want to go. If you're really set on competative specialties like Ortho, Optho, ENT, Surg Oncology, I do know that Jeff is very strong in those areas (among others). If you want to work in the more underserved area than Temple is definitely your go-to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on the prevalence of merit scholarships given to upperclassmen? We were told there is very little merit aid given our first year

Yea, make your deciding factors on what each school is good on matching and where you felt the best fit. Both are comparable is ranking/reputation imo

Hi guys,

I'm on a HPWL and just gave Dr. Callahan an update past Tuesday night. Wednesday morning she replied back saying that the waitlist movement is incredibly slow this year. So don't lose hope : ) hopefully many of us get in!

Reactions: 5 users
Still waiting on the HPWL....

Spoke with admissions the other day. 3/4 spots have been committed. The rest are people who have selected planned to enroll. As it currently stands, their class is full and they have not seen the waitlist move so far. They’re unsure whether the people who have selected plan to enroll: will be committing, waiting for another WL, or are just holding multiple acceptances and haven’t dropped Jeff yet. Ultimately, July 1st, I believe, is the commit to enroll deadline. Jeff is a bit phased with the process this year too because they’ve never really seen anything like this with the new AAMC traffic rules.

Here is to being patient and riding this thing out. Trust The Process

Spoke with admissions the other day. 3/4 spots have been committed. The rest are people who have selected planned to enroll. As it currently stands, their class is full and they have not seen the waitlist move so far. They’re unsure whether the people who have selected plan to enroll: will be committing, waiting for another WL, or are just holding multiple acceptances and haven’t dropped Jeff yet. Ultimately, July 1st, I believe, is the commit to enroll deadline. Jeff is a bit phased with the process this year too because they’ve never really seen anything like this with the new AAMC traffic rules.

how did you get all that info? Callahan has told me next to nothing lol

heartbreaking. Canadian and literally the only school I wanted to attend. on the hpwl

Do they send out emails about people being removed from the waitlist? I no longer want to go to this school, but have no idea if I'm still on their waitlist.

You should definitely email them! It might help someone else out :)

Callahan is a very sketchy individual, dw about it. If you want info, just call the office directly and ask. It hasn't failed yet for me. Actually, funny story, last time I called them they mentioned reaching out to Callahan would yield canned responses which I thought was a very weirdly candid thing to say.
Where do you get sketchy from? I think she’s great

Reactions: 6 users
how did you get all that info? Callahan has told me next to nothing lol

I had an email exchange with Dr. Callahan yesterday where she told me there are 40 some applicants who are planning to enroll but have not committed. Aside from these 40 or so, there are no spots available.

Good luck everyone! This long and bumpy ride isn't over yet.

Thanks for the info. Looks like it will depend on the other schools and their waitlists.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an email exchange with Dr. Callahan yesterday where she told me there are 40 some applicants who are planning to enroll but have not committed. Aside from these 40 or so, there are no spots available.

Good luck everyone! This long and bumpy ride isn't over yet.

Sheeesh, chances of getting off the HPWL seem to be getting smaller and smaller

To current students: It says we need scrubs, what color should I get? and are old sneakers good for dissection/anatomy class?

I’m one of those 40 who are currently PTE at Jeff and just waiting for a last minute waitlist acceptance by the end of the week. If not, I’ll be CTE this weekend! I think the majority of those 40 people are in the same boat, so hopefully other schools have some waitlist movement so Jeff can as well!

Reactions: 3 users
I’m one of those 40 who are currently PTE at Jeff and just waiting for a last minute waitlist acceptance by the end of the week. If not, I’ll be CTE this weekend! I think the majority of those 40 people are in the same boat, so hopefully other schools have some waitlist movement so Jeff can as well!
Thanks for posting here, it's good to hear there's some hope! Praying for more WL movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Any one know the CTE date for Jefferson? I was assuming it to be July 1st but I want to make sure

Since the commit to enroll deadline has passed...anyone on the waitlist hear back this week?

Since the commit to enroll deadline has passed...anyone on the waitlist hear back this week?
Nothing here either. I'm keeping up hope since we haven't gotten an email saying that the class is full.

I was thinking of applying to the Physician Shortage Area Program (PSAP) to increase my chances of admission, but am I able to drop out of the program later during the school year if I'm accepted? I don't know if I really want to work in a rural area and I don't want some of my rotations to be in rural towns, rather than the city
Dude dont apply if you have no intention of doing it. 1. they will see right through you 2. you would be taking a spot for someone who actually wants in the program.

Reactions: 6 users
Looks like it didn't, and I withdrew from the HPWL. I'm still really sad but there's always residency. In three years I'll be back for round two.

I was thinking of applying to the Physician Shortage Area Program (PSAP) to increase my chances of admission, but am I able to drop out of the program later during the school year if I'm accepted? I don't know if I really want to work in a rural area and I don't want some of my rotations to be in rural towns, rather than the city
Okay I did research on it a little more and it actually looks interesting. However, what if I still decide later on that I don't want to do it anymore for some reason?
Newsflash: You're not the first person to try this. There's a special interview for PSAP applicants for this very purpose. They will see right through you, and it will reflect very poorly on your application if you try this.

PSAP is meant for students who grew up in rural areas who plan to return to those areas to practice. This is a mission-driven program meant for a very specific kind of student, and if you don't fit that mold, then don't even bother. It's honestly insulting to people that actually want to practice in these areas rather than people trying to game the system to gain admission.

Thank u,next.

Reactions: 4 users
Out of curiosity did anyone on the HPWL who didn’t enroll ever get any sort of email that the class was full?

Had to pull out of Jeff HPWL early this week due to a commitment to enroll deadline at the school I was accepted at. Didn’t look like the WL was moving and didn’t want to jeopardize losing the current spot I have.

Good luck to all matriculants!