2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all. Question not related to the WL. Does anyone here know how the semester is going to start with COVID going on? I checked the university website and the most recent update is still the tuition freeze. Orientation is in July and that's pretty soon. Any insider info?
I think a lot of tri-state, especially city, schools plan to go mostly online for 1st and 2nd years. This is purely anecdotal. Don't have any direct SKMC communications about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew from the priority WL! If I was supposed ot get in, I hope it goes to someone who really wants to!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
soooooo anyone want to volunteer to call Dean Callahan this week?

@mdapplicant2024 - you said that your friend got off the WL?

Even though Dean Callahan explicitly said there has not been waitlist movement yet?
I said my colleague told us and it was during a conference call...I don't know her well and she lives in another state. I'll let y'all know if I see her at orientation or in any email distribution lists though

soooooo anyone want to volunteer to call Dean Callahan this week?

I think I will call friday or maybe wait til monday-tuesday of next week. I just caught up on the WL support thread and someone pointed out that there appeared to be movement in some schools last week on friday so I am hopeful that it will trickle down our way soon...maybe by early next week Dr. C will have more idea of how the Jeff waitlist will move.

I will let you all know what she says.

Reactions: 7 users
I keep hearing that no WL movement has happened at Jeff and it will likely happen towards end of June, if at anytime. But it's really hard to think of this possibility given everything circulating on SDN.

Hi Liblib, I think from what I have read from some of your posts that you are not a traditional applicant. Possibly a few years older than undergrad. Female? Out of state? Have you applied to SKMC before? Asking ‘cause I’m a male, in state, just graduated.
Sorry, I missed your reasoning for asking those questions.

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's my first time applying. I'm non-traditional and URM. If things don't work in my favor, I plan to study, reapply, take the MCAT in Aug/Sept, and continue the BA work I'm doing.

It's OK to not feel great. We're all feeling that way. Its a tough time for the US, let alone a tough time applying to medical school and ending up on the WL. Be kind to yourself!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Liblib, I think from what I have read from some of your posts that you are not a traditional applicant. Possibly a few years older than undergrad. Female? Out of state? Have you applied to SKMC before? Asking ‘cause I’m a male, in state, just graduated.
Whelp, all those questions apply to me (female, out of state, non-trad, applied to SKMC before). Is there something you would like to ask?

I think I will call friday or maybe wait til monday-tuesday of next week. I just caught up on the WL support thread and someone pointed out that there appeared to be movement in some schools last week on friday so I am hopeful that it will trickle down our way soon...maybe by early next week Dr. C will have more idea of how the Jeff waitlist will move.

I will let you all know what she says.

any word yet by chance?

Reactions: 1 users
What is the best way to report that I am going to be an author on a paper in the upcoming weeks? Wish the timeline was better but it’s what I got lol

What is the best way to report that I am going to be an author on a paper in the upcoming weeks? Wish the timeline was better but it’s what I got lol

Given we're getting close to the end of the application cycle, I say send them the update. Nothing to lose at this point. Cite it this way:

Authors. Title of paper. Intended journal. In review.

Given we're getting close to the end of the application cycle, I say send them the update. Nothing to lose at this point. Cite it this way:

Authors. Title of paper. Intended journal. In review.
I've been actually old not to communicate submitted manuscripts as updates, only those which have been accepted.

I've been actually old not to communicate submitted manuscripts as updates, only those which have been accepted.
right. agree. given how close we are to the end of the application cycle though, i'd personally go for it

Reactions: 2 users
Ok so I just got off the phone with them an it was not a very useful conversation. This was basically my script that I wrote out because, you know, neurotic.

"My name is , I am an applicant from the 2020 cycle and I am currently on the high priority waitlist. I sent an update letter about a month ago that I had moved back home to and I just wanted to call and see if you could make a note that I am now back in Philadelphia.

I am also wondering if you can offer any insight into expected waitlist movement or do you know if the class is full?

Basically she just said "you can just email us to make another update" and then about the second part she seemed honestly a little idk, annoyed. but also the quality of the signal was bad so idk. She said that there is no ranking of how they take people off and she couldn't tell me if I would be pulled off but I should just continue to show interest and keep waiting. No comment about if the class is full. I think reaching out to Dean Callahan is the best way to get any useful info.

Ok so I just got off the phone with them an it was not a very useful conversation. This was basically my script that I wrote out because, you know, neurotic.

"My name is , I am an applicant from the 2020 cycle and I am currently on the high priority waitlist. I sent an update letter about a month ago that I had moved back home to and I just wanted to call and see if you could make a note that I am now back in Philadelphia.

I am also wondering if you can offer any insight into expected waitlist movement or do you know if the class is full?

Basically she just said "you can just email us to make another update" and then about the second part she seemed honestly a little idk, annoyed. but also the quality of the signal was bad so idk. She said that there is no ranking of how they take people off and she couldn't tell me if I would be pulled off but I should just continue to show interest and keep waiting. No comment about if the class is full. I think reaching out to Dean Callahan is the best way to get any useful info.
Yeah... I've had the experience in the past too. I would definitely say e-mail Callahan because that lady has been frankly rude when I've called her!

Reactions: 2 users
I would be willing to directly email Dr. Callahan and ask questions about waitlist movement, but not sure what to even ask?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I would be willing to directly email Dr. Callahan and ask questions about waitlist movement, but not sure what to even ask?
First of all, thank you!!

I would ask Dr. Callahan if there will be waitlist movement (and if so, when might it possibly start) or if the class is full

First of all, thank you!!

I would ask Dr. Callahan if there will be waitlist movement (and if so, when might it possibly start) or if the class is full
I have a feeling she can't even say for sure. What would be really helpful to know (and I'm willing to bet she won't release this information) is what percentage of the class is CTE at this point.

Hey @Pre-med9820, perhaps note in your email that a few weeks ago, a connection of yours heard from Dean Callahan that the number of CTE+PTE=Class Size, so the class was full. Ask if this is still the case? Thanks for volunteering to reach out!

I know this is kind of irrelevant to people waiting on WL news... but I’m just curious.

did anyone not put anything for their “Optional” secondary and get an II?

So I just called admissions and they said that the waitlist has had movement and that people are being offered spots. So, I wonder if its just us?

• Wow
So I just called admissions and they said that the waitlist has had movement and that people are being offered spots. So, I wonder if its just us?
Did you talk to the admissions office or to Dr. Callahan?

Was this the admissions office or Dean Callahan? When I called admissions like the first week in May they told me that too so I think if it’s the general office they don’t actually know

This was the main admissions line. I don't think Dean C picks up these general calls, but I could be wrong.

But I clarified it with a few follow ups of "oh, so people on the waitlist have been taken off". and she was like "of course". So... I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

• Sad
I know this is kind of irrelevant to people waiting on WL news... but I’m just curious.

did anyone not put anything for their “Optional” secondary and get an II?
Their screening process puts people who write something first, then people who didn't second. I got an interview in February and didn't write anything. Next cycle, I will be sure to!

This was the main admissions line. I don't think Dean C picks up these general calls, but I could be wrong.

But I clarified it with a few follow ups of "oh, so people on the waitlist have been taken off". and she was like "of course". So... I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
: ( man, wish we could know for sure. If WL happened and none of us heard back I'm going to be super sad...

Thanks for calling the office and letting us know!

Soooo who is reapplying and when are we submitting that primary???

I figure since apps are being sent to schools two weeks later, I could get away with submitting my app two weeks (June 15th-ish). I am dabbling with the idea of waiting until like June 21st because I would hate to spend the money and then get off any of these three waitlists.

Soooo who is reapplying and when are we submitting that primary???

I figure since apps are being sent to schools two weeks later, I could get away with submitting my app two weeks (June 15th-ish). I am dabbling with the idea of waiting until like June 21st because I would hate to spend the money and then get off any of these three waitlists.
Maybe send it in june 15th, but only send it to one school!

Hey friends, I sent an update letter/LOI over two weeks ago and it still hasn't been added to my file. Should I send it again or wait another week? Has this happened to anyone?

Hey friends, I sent an update letter/LOI over two weeks ago and it still hasn't been added to my file. Should I send it again or wait another week? Has this happened to anyone?
Have you navigated to "Communication Status" in your portal? That's where they note if it was received or not. I sent something yesterday and it's already in my file.

Have you navigated to "Communication Status" in your portal? That's where they note if it was received or not. I sent something yesterday and it's already in my file.

Yes I checked. It’s not there. It looks like they just missed my email. Thank you!!

I bet those same answers are being given all over the country by administrative assistants. They probably wish it was pre-recorded for ease.

I reached out to Dr. Callahan, she essentially informed me that students have until the 28th to CTE and they don't know how many people are holding on to acceptances that are not planning to enroll, but they have not really started moving to the waitlist yet. She doesn't know when they will.

I reached out to Dr. Callahan, she essentially informed me that students have until the 28th to CTE and they don't know how many people are holding on to acceptances that are not planning to enroll, but they have not really started moving to the waitlist yet. She doesn't know when they will.

That was the exact same thing she said to me when I communicated with her. So, she essentially doesn't know how many people on the PTE that will/won't enroll.

At this point, can we brainstorm the realistic scenarios in which some students won't CTE?
- COVID restrictions (having most clinical groups/interactions virtually carried out), so they defer a year
- WL movement at other schools that they are waiting on (though this seems less likely at this point)
- Change in motivation, don't want to go into medicine anymore due to the trauma of the pandemic/other reasons, and therefore just drop their A

#2 Scenario only IMHO.

I have yet to meet anyone who has been through such a challenging process to just give up now with an A in their hand.