2018-2019 Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know where to get some Jefferson gear?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like four or five people on here have gotten off the waitlist

4-5 people on SDN. Probably more in real life.

@TTP 1776 Looks like you have a few acceptances! Don't sweat it, all US med schools will give you a phenomenal education. It's the people without offers who are in real trouble.

So is the current consensus that waitlist movement for Jefferson is slow this year? Their CTE date is July 1 so do we anticipate more movement until that day?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I asked how much more waitlist movement to expect and all I got was “it’s moving” lol. She also said that the dean knows the most about what’s going on and even then they’re not really sharing that with applicants. She said we can just continue to show interest.

I heard 1/3 of the class comes off the WL, approximating ~90 people. I'm not sure if it's going to be different this year but it definitely doesn't seem like that many people are going to come off... /:
I know it’s really hard to be positive but I seriously think it’s just gonna happen later this year. I know multiple people personally who are holding multiple acceptances at various schools while they try to bargain for financial aid. I think that’s what a lot of people are doing which means waitlist movement will have to happen eventually

Reactions: 4 users
I know it’s really hard to be positive but I seriously think it’s just gonna happen later this year. I know multiple people personally who are holding multiple acceptances at various schools while they try to bargain for financial aid. I think that’s what a lot of people are doing which means waitlist movement will have to happen eventually
That makes me feel better. Yeah I feel like in general the WL movement might occur later on than normal this year (hopefully).

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the high priority waitlist on Friday and plan on enrolling. Wanted to update whoever is still waiting on Jeff, best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how strict the immunization requirement deadline is (May 31)? I will be traveling for the second half of this month and most likely will not be able to take a 2 step PPD test before then. It would suck if I were unable to matriculate bc of this

I didnt even know about that!!! When did they send the email with this information?

Hopefully it works out! This waiting limbo game is absolutely brutal lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know which iPads we'll be getting this year? For the tuition I'm paying I expect the iPad pro with the magnetically attaching pencil :rolleyes:

Anyone know which iPads we'll be getting this year? For the tuition I'm paying I expect the iPad pro with the magnetically attaching pencil :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, the regular iPad 9.7. Not the Pro. Not even the Air. And no Apple Pencil.

Nope. I asked. They aren't included in the tuition. Apparently they're a gift from some donation to the school. So they wont allow us to pay the difference to upgrade. What a shame.

Nope. I asked. They aren't included in the tuition. Apparently they're a gift from some donation to the school. So they wont allow us to pay the difference to upgrade. What a shame.

Well... what about turn it in to apple and get the upgrade? LOL

Just graduated from Jeff. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have about Philly, Jeff, or anything in between.

Do you guys think a poster session is worth sending? I'm not sure since I've told them about a few I've done and I'm not sure they wanna hear anymore about them

Can any current students comment on if any fellow classmates have taken a year off to do research during 2nd and 3rd year?

Should updates include information relevant to the application (shadowing, volunteering, etc)?

I don't know because I'm not part of admissions, but yeah I'd probably throw in things you've been doing if they are meaningful and relevant. But don't just list your CV. Make it short and sweet with the important information in it. My advice would be don't over think it and make it readable. Don't write a list of shadowing and volunteer hours, but rather a summary of why you're a good fit and what you have been doing in the application year which proves that. "I want to go to XYZ medical school because I want to be a family doc and your program has a great family medicine department and extensive opportunities to work in the homeless community. I've continued pursuing my passion of working in the homeless communities during the application cycle through continued volunteering at xyz organization which has reaffirmed my commitments to my goal." <-- better than "I love XYZ medical college. I will be a great fit there. There is a student group I saw on the website that looks interesting to me. I have accumulated 150 hours volunteering at a local farm for stray pigs. I also shadowed my mom for 5 hours in the OR and saw an appendectomy."

Can any current students comment on if any fellow classmates have taken a year off to do research during 2nd and 3rd year?
I took a year off for research after 3rd year. Did an international research fellowship and was abroad for the year. Most people do this after 3rd year. I know a number of other students who did this. Some got MPHs some did NIH research. It's possible for sure.

Accepted off the high priority waitlist, right after I sent (another) letter of interest the day before. I never believed this would ever happen, and I can't stop crying in happiness. I just wanted to update you guys. Best of luck to everyone involved!

Reactions: 13 users
Hi guys! I finished my first year here recently and since I have a little more free time I thought I would answer some questions or concerns you guys might have

How much fun did you have, both in an out of school?
Honestly it’s all up to you and your personality/ study schedule. I definitely made the mistake of diving head first into school work and not leaving enough time for myself. But I quickly learned that that lifestyle wasn’t sustainable so I made sure to enjoy life! I would say that overall I had a lot of fun both in and out of school. There’s tons of free time to watch lectures from home, hang with friends, watch Netflix, etc. Just use it wisely!

Accepted off the high priority waitlist, right after I sent (another) letter of interest the day before. I never believed this would ever happen, and I can't stop crying in happiness. I just wanted to update you guys. Best of luck to everyone involved!
Also, I hope it's not weird asking, but are you a guy or a girl? I'm asking because my PI told me there were more guys than girls in the incoming class currently

yikes, this high priority wait list wait is nerve wrecking. I’m not sure how much more movement there’s gonna be in June.

I gave them a letter of intent back in February after my interview, and gave them a post-graduation update early May, reaffirming I would commit to Jeff. I sent that right after the April 30th deadline, so I kind of wish I waited to send one right around now.

At this point I’m not really gonna stress out too much and try to enjoy my summer as much as I can

Reactions: 2 users
yikes, this high priority wait list wait is nerve wrecking. I’m not sure how much more movement there’s gonna be in June.

I gave them a letter of intent back in February after my interview, and gave them a post-graduation update early May, reaffirming I would commit to Jeff. I sent that right after the April 30th deadline, so I kind of wish I waited to send one right around now.

At this point I’m not really gonna stress out too much and try to enjoy my summer as much as I can
Are u sending it to Callahan or Admissions