2019-2020 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I disagree

"I would be fairly hesitant with going to Drexel if you have other options. Losing the only major teaching hospital is an extremely severe blow to a medical school, this is the stuff that knocks your med school down to nearly the bottom of the tier list when it comes time to apply to residencies, which trust me, will matter, even if it doesn't seem like it now.
Imagine if you were applying to even a moderately competitive residency, program directors look at your application and knew that every rotation was done at a community hospital with possibly questionable exposure to management of conditions you should know about." ()

Guess im screwed for opting to do my rotations at community hospitals. Im so glad you were here to let me know

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Guess im screwed for opting to do my rotations at community hospitals. Im so glad you were here to let me know
I simply quoted a resident from Reddit. My friend is an MS4 at Drexel and his sub-I was moved from hahnemann to Easton and he’s worried bc it’s not a teaching hospital. I’m not trying to personally attack you, but am trying to educate others on what residents, other Drexel med students, and I think is going on...

Reactions: 1 user
I simply quoted a resident from Reddit. My friend is an MS4 at Drexel and his sub-I was moved from hahnemann to Easton and he’s worried bc it’s not a teaching hospital. I’m not trying to personally attack you, but am trying to educate others on what residents, other Drexel med students, and I think is going on...

FYI I am also an M4 at Drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI I am also an M4 at Drexel
That’s what I garnered from your flair. Maybe he’s just more jaded. I hope everything turns out well for you all. The town hall meeting last week gave some good info about going forward.

Current student. Just here to read the neurotic posts and answer questions (feel free to PM me).

But mostly the neurotic posts thing.

Reactions: 4 users
I have the same thing, I wonder if it's just since it's a holiday? It says complete under "Application Submitted" but by "Application Complete" it says "Not Submitted." I have everything else done, it might just be taking a second to register.

same for me, just submitted today. has your status changed to "application complete" yet?

same for me, just submitted today. has your status changed to "application complete" yet?

Nada for me. I tried calling yesterday but I think they’re closed for the weekend.

Reactions: 1 users
i think its absurd how end of the world people are treating the closing of hahnemann. its honestly laughable that the match list is always consistently good when barely a third of the class has rotations at this specific hospital.

this is why people tell others to stay away from SDN and reddit.

Reactions: 10 users
I thought of that as a possibility too. Question for you: AMCAS uploaded all 6 of my letters to thee secondary portal, but they say not send more than 4... what do I do now?
I'm in the same boat! I submitted 5 letters before receiving their secondary. I sent them an email but no response back yet. not sure what to do

EDIT: I'll just submit my secondary first and see what happens

Last edited:
i accidentally sent 5 letters to Drexel; if i was to email them about this, how should i phrase it?

I can't tell if you're supposed to respond to the first prompt if you're not a "recent" graduate--I feel my PS and work/ activities cover the many years since college pretty thoroughly, but any other non-trads have thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell if you're supposed to respond to the first prompt if you're not a "recent" graduate--I feel my PS and work/ activities cover the many years since college pretty thoroughly, but any other non-trads have thoughts?
I've heard a lot about how reviewers sometimes won't see your primary and just look at your secondary for part of the process. I think this might be a way for them to know about your stuff after college without being swayed by numbers (like that individual, not the committee as a whole). For that reason I answered the prompt even though I've been out for four years

I have the same thing, I wonder if it's just since it's a holiday? It says complete under "Application Submitted" but by "Application Complete" it says "Not Submitted." I have everything else done, it might just be taking a second to register.
Did you ever figure this out? I’ve had the same issue since submitting. Not sure if I should call.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you ever figure this out? I’ve had the same issue since submitting. Not sure if I should call.
I did not it still looks like that. Since the office just opened after the weekend I figured I would give it a little more time before sending any emails

Just called. They're waiting for CASPer scores to be uploaded by IT.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought of that as a possibility too. Question for you: AMCAS uploaded all 6 of my letters to thee secondary portal, but they say not send more than 4... what do I do now?

I did the same thing, so I called Admission today to ask what I should do, and they said that I should just email Admissions and note which four of the six I submitted I would like them to consider! The guy on the phone seemed pretty chill about it.

Well that's kind of good news I guess. I hope this doesn't push us down the cue to be reviewed.
To follow up I just checked my portal and it looks like I'm good to go now.

To follow up on this issue, mine was the same way and I had been keeping an eye on it. Received an email sometime last night that my app was complete.
I haven’t logged into the portal to check but I’m assuming it’s been fixed now.

To follow up on this issue, mine was the same way and I had been keeping an eye on it. Received an email sometime last night that my app was complete.
I haven’t logged into the portal to check but I’m assuming it’s been fixed now.
I got it too. Guess they finally processed.

For the "If you are a recent graduate, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation" question, do I answer it if I recently graduated in May? Thank you!

For the "If you are a recent graduate, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation" question, do I answer it if I recently graduated in May? Thank you!
I would assume so, to talk briefly about your gap year plans. It seems like an "are you a nontrad" question

Any other CASPer slackers out there know whether or not I'm on the cue if I submitted my secondary over a week ago but I didn't take the CASPer until Sunday? Haven't gotten an email saying my app is under review (so I'm kind of assuming its not on the cue, but you know, someone could say something to make me feel better anyway if they wanted to).

Talk about your upcoming plans for the gap year/any activities you’re continuing from undergrad!

Any other CASPer slackers out there know whether or not I'm on the cue if I submitted my secondary over a week ago but I didn't take the CASPer until Sunday? Haven't gotten an email saying my app is under review (so I'm kind of assuming its not on the cue, but you know, someone could say something to make me feel better anyway if they wanted to).
"Once all of your application materials are successfully submitted, you will receive an email confirming that your application is complete. A completed application includes the following:
  • Submitted secondary application
  • Application fee or fee waiver
  • CASPer score
  • Letters of recommendation
  • MCAT score (please note that if you tell us that you are taking a future MCAT, we will hold your file for review until we receive that score.)"
So I'd assume you won't be in the queue til your score it received. My CASPer score took less than the 3 weeks they say to be delivered to schools so yours will probably be there soon.

"Once all of your application materials are successfully submitted, you will receive an email confirming that your application is complete. A completed application includes the following:
  • Submitted secondary application
  • Application fee or fee waiver
  • CASPer score
  • Letters of recommendation
  • MCAT score (please note that if you tell us that you are taking a future MCAT, we will hold your file for review until we receive that score.)"
So I'd assume you won't be in the queue til your score it received. My CASPer score took less than the 3 weeks they say to be delivered to schools so yours will probably be there soon.

My status says everything is in but application is not complete so they prob are waiting for CASPER. I take it on 7/18

My status says everything is in but application is not complete so they prob are waiting for CASPER. I take it on 7/18
If this helps anyone my CASPer was scored in 2 weeks even though they say 3-5 weeks! But obviously the sooner you take it the better because it’s possible it could take the full 5 weeks to score depending on how many people took it that day

Anyone else having trouble with the application fees for the secondary? I filled out my credit card information on the payment page, click the continue button, get routed back to the secondary portal, and it says the fees are still unpaid.

Anyone else having trouble with the application fees for the secondary? I filled out my credit card information on the payment page, click the continue button, get routed back to the secondary portal, and it says the fees are still unpaid.
I'm having the same issues. I'm hesitant to try again as I don't want to be charged twice.
+2 I just emailed them but might call on a lunch break since the automatic reply said they will respond in 5-7 days. I'm hoping they're already aware of the issue and working on it?

I just called them and they're aware of the issue. They're hoping it will be resolved later today and to try again later

Anyone have advice on the optional essay? Did you just write "why drexel?"

Any current students lurking? How do people feel about the rotations being so spread out?
"Drexel students participate in clinical rotations through a number of academic campuses, which include some of the leading hospitals in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and California."
I'm considering adding Drexel to my primary, but that sounds...not fun and like it'd add a lot of extra stress. I don't know, though.

Was it a logistical issues like LOR requirements? or ?
? No? Just says they’ve decided not to interview me at this time but will continue to re-evaluate me throughout the cycle. AFAIK from previous years threads this is a very common outcome for Drexel.

? No? Just says they’ve decided not to interview me at this time but will continue to re-evaluate me throughout the cycle. AFAIK from previous years threads this is a very common outcome for Drexel.

Gotcha, I just ask bc BU put me on hold today for an LOR missing a signature - - thanks!

I emailed them about it. Auto reply says they'll get back to me in 5-7 days. I was confused too since MSAR and their website FAQ say additional letters are accepted. I sent 5 letters

If anyone's wondering, I never got a response

Any current students lurking? How do people feel about the rotations being so spread out?
"Drexel students participate in clinical rotations through a number of academic campuses, which include some of the leading hospitals in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and California."
I'm considering adding Drexel to my primary, but that sounds...not fun and like it'd add a lot of extra stress. I don't know, though.

Ehh, people don’t really like having to move around a lot. That said, there are many quality sites that we work with and the people that have experiences at a lot of different hospitals speak highly of it.

anyone else one use ~3 sentences to answer the first prompt that has unlimited characters lol

Ehh, people don’t really like having to move around a lot. That said, there are many quality sites that we work with and the people that have experiences at a lot of different hospitals speak highly of it.
Thanks! Does Drexel give support in these varied locations, like in finding places to live and ways to get there? Or are students on their own?

Thanks! Does Drexel give support in these varied locations, like in finding places to live and ways to get there? Or are students on their own?

Anything more than an hour away is provided housing at those sites. Only catch being they’ll only do that for up to 10 consecutive weeks (this could change because of HUH closing)