2019-2020 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on 12/9 and also got waitlisted yesterday. From the way they worded it, it seems like they mass waitlisted everyone who interviewed from late November to early January at the same time. It doesn’t seem like any acceptances were given so far...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Congratulations on your previous acceptances, that’s an awesome accomplishment. In regards to CUSOM, did they say anything in their waitlist email about their spots being completely full? Essentially, do you think there’s a chance anyone interviewing in January could be accepted off the bat or does it sound like it’s only waitlist interviews?

thanks!
Yes, the reason for my waitlist was that the spots are full for now. I was the one told directly that the interviews were waitlist potential as early as mid November. However, there are still people that get accepted by the plenty after that point and they have quite a bit of movement on the waitlist. I definitely wouldn’t count yourself out! Again, this is completely an assumption… But I feel like it would have gone differently had they made decisions as they went along. Suddenly making a decision on 2 1/2 months worth of people or more, you are bound to end up with a lot more of those candidates waitlisted. Plus, imagine making a decision on someone who interviewed two months ago… I’d imagine the feelings to accept or deny candidates might not be as strong. I have no idea, but I’m just guessing at this point because no other school I’ve seen does it that way. Maybe it was just the holidays that threw it all off. I knew it was a risk when I decided to keep a late interview. The one thing that brings me peace is that the school whose deposit was due just so happened to be the top choice out of all the places I interviewed anyway. But I was highly considering Campbell for a number of reasons. Great school!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews were casual and conversational. I had fun. Has anyone been accepted with a decent "okay" feeling after the first interview and a stellar one on the second?

I feel like I screwed up the first interview cause I was so sleepy but as soon as the adrenaline kicked in, I was talking and seemed more engaged. I really got tripped up on answering one of the traditional questions regarding my interest on the school. Wished I said more. If I get rejected, it would most likely be because of the first interview. :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews were casual and conversational. I had fun. Has anyone been accepted with a decent "okay" feeling after the first interview and a stellar one on the second?

I feel like I screwed up the first interview cause I was so sleepy but as soon as the adrenaline kicked in, I was talking and seemed more engaged. I really got tripped up on answering one of the traditional questions regarding my interest on the school. Wished I said more. If I get rejected, it would most likely be because of the first interview. :dead:
My first interview was a little rough, but my second was perfect. I was admitted last week. Don't over-analyze any interviews. How you feel about them is rarely an accurate reflection of how they were scored.

My first interview was a little rough, but my second was perfect. I was admitted last week. Don't over-analyze any interviews. How you feel about them is rarely an accurate reflection of how they were scored.

I felt okay, not great, after both of my interviews, and I was accepted! I agree, sometimes we can feel like we did one way but the interviewer perceives it different! Don’t worry about it too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you all feel about your interviews? I'll be interviewing on January 28th and I don't know what to expect

How did you all feel about your interviews? I'll be interviewing on January 28th and I don't know what to expect
Reading the thread is the best place to start!

Edit: actually didn't find much about people talking about their interviews. I've put some quotes down below. I also recommend looking at the SDN school interview Databank! - School Interview Question Databank • Student Doctor Network

It really is just a conversation to get to know you. I would know the common questions, Why DO? Why CUSOM? Why medicine? What specialty would you like to practice? First question I got was "tell me about yourself." Another one you should know is "What is the difference between an MD and a DO?"

Just interviewed at CUSOM yesterday! I loved everything about the school. I could definitely see myself successful and happy there. Also, shout out to the 10/15 interview group! You all were awesome and I had so much fun getting to know you :D fingers crossed to see you all again as classmates or elsewhere on the interview trail!
I interviewed there last week, and I was really impressed. They said they would get back to us in a month. I would just do your best to not think about it until mid-December.
It was the chillest interview I had. Very cliche, but just be yourself. I was asked specific questions about my secondary, letters of rec, and primary application - know all the material you submitted inside and out. Talk yourself through potential questions (why campbell? What specialty do you think you want to pursue and why? Why DO? Do you think there’s a difference between DO and MD? Why do you want to be a doctor? Tell me about yourself.) Don’t memorize answers, but instead know some good phrases to use. I would talk to myself in front of a mirror to see how I looked when talking (facial expression), no “ummms” or ”uhhhs” when thinking of answers. The interviewers were well prepared and definitely combed through my application in some detail. Good luck!

Don’t be too nervous, it was a pretty laid back day! I used the SDN feedback to prep for my interview, and I would say it was pretty accurate. Yes, you should know some basic issues you find with our current healthcare system

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for current students or any other accepted students who may know, but does anyone know when off campus housing options or a roommate application portal will become available? Not from the area and am excited to start figuring things out.
Would you say that most people live in apartments? Do many people rent houses?

QT gave great answers to your questions. Just wanted to add that a lot of people rent townhouses in the area in addition to apartments. For roommates, come to accepted students day if you can. It's a great way to meet potential roommates and check out places to live. If you can't make it, you can find classmates in the facebook group and also people in other classes will post if they are looking for roommates.

An exhaustive list of rentals will be provided to you by student affairs in the spring. Don't worry, there will be plenty of options. Medical students are a landlord's dream tenants in a rural area - quiet, respectful, steady source of money to pay rent. The only place that will fill up early is Campbell Pointe.

[/QUOTE]
Is there an accepted students day here? If so when is it usually held?

Beginning of April! There will be a student panel for Q&A, your family can come on the tour this time, you can check out places to live, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Does CUSOM have a second-look day? Trying to figure out scheduling. Thanks!

Current students - are we allowed to wear a nose stud?

Current students - are we allowed to wear a nose stud?

Ehhh....technically no.

@pursuingmed2 If that’s the same thing as Accepted Students Day, yeah I think sometime late March early April. I would watch for their emails for reminders. I don’t remember if they send it to your personal or if you already have your email...it’s been so long...

Last edited:
I interviewed here today and left with an awesome impression of the school! The faculty/staff was so genuinely kind and excited to be there. No real curveballs during the interview and they focused on my passions and lessons learned throughout this crazy pre-med path rather than nit-picking at negatives of my app.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current Students-
Can you give me some information about Accepted Students Day? I have already made travel arrangements to go home and it may overlap. How important is it to attend? Would you recommend I pay the rebooking fee for my flight to attend? Thanks for your help!

Current Students-
Can you give me some information about Accepted Students Day? I have already made travel arrangements to go home and it may overlap. How important is it to attend? Would you recommend I pay the rebooking fee for my flight to attend? Thanks for your help!
Do we know when accepted students day is?

No, but some of the posts have said it's in April and I am going to be out of state for part of the month, so just trying determine if I should change my plans if theres an overlap.

Current Students-

It’s exclusively for your benefit! You’ll see a bunch of clubs and students and this is the opportunity for your family to tour the school. It’s not mandatory, it won’t be held against you, and they’ll repeat any information you may get again later. That said, if you can attend the Lake Retreat the weekend before Block 1 in July, I would highly recommend you do.

I spoke with admissons yesterday and it appears that Accepted Students day is currently scheduled for Saturday, April 18th. Hope that helps everyone with figuring scheduling plans!

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke with admissons yesterday and it appears that Accepted Students day is currently scheduled for Saturday, April 18th. Hope that helps everyone with figuring scheduling plans!
Thank you for doing the leg work! I would actually love to do the Accepted Students day and the lake retreat. Has anyone finished their matriculation requirements left? Next appt is my 3rd hep B series then I still need to do the titer and I'll be done! I just hope I finish before the deadline in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a specific day that admissions usually contacts people back after interviews? :) ie, Wednesdays, fridays, etc

Also, does anyone remember what the primary app said about traffic violations? I cant access it anymore:oops:

Is there a specific day that admissions usually contacts people back after interviews? :) ie, Wednesdays, fridays, etc

I was emailed on a Tuesday around 4:45!

Thank you for doing the leg work! I would actually love to do the Accepted Students day and the lake retreat. Has anyone finished their matriculation requirements left? Next appt is my 3rd hep B series then I still need to do the titer and I'll be done! I just hope I finish before the deadline in March.
I am all done! I would advise you to get your 3rd Hep B asap cause you have to wait a few weeks before you get the titer

Also, does anyone remember what the primary app said about traffic violations? I cant access it anymore:oops:
In sc, where I live, a traffic violation is a misdemeanor which I did not know was on my record until my background check came back. I emailed Stephanie and let her know about it. I haven’t heard anything back other than she didn’t seem to be concerned about it.... I can’t remember what the primary said about them, but hope that helps :)

Officially cancelled my II and withdrew my application, I hope the II will go to one of you awesome premeds ! :D

I'm going to be interviewing here this Tuesday. Any advice? :)
The advice is going to be the same as with all the other programs. Know how to answer: Why Campbell? Why DO? How do you fit within our mission? Do you know what you're getting into? Other than that, be yourself. They're pretty chill.

Hey lovelies, withdrawing my acceptance to attend school closer to home. Wishing success to all the folks I interviewed with who will be attending, and hoping my acceptance goes to someone on the waitlist for whom CUSOM is their dream school. Much love to all of you! :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have the academic calendar for this school year?

If you have access to blackboard already, the tentative barebones one is usually on there. But I don’t think the specific one with your daily schedule will be available till about a week before orientation.

What’s the turn around time for admissions decisions after interviews?

They told us around 2 weeks, they meet on Wednesdays.

Admissions said the academic calendar isn’t finalized yet but should come out sometime in March. She did tell me that orientation will probably be between July 22-24 and class will start on the 27th if it’s the same as pst years.

An email was sent to accepted students with the academic calendar and list of housing options.

I’ve tried to sign into the email that the school sent me but it keeps saying that gmail can’t find the account. Anyone else having this problem?

Accepted/current students, do you recommend bringing parents to accepted students day? Trying to set up travel plans and want to know what other people have done/are planning on doing! Thanks!

WL just now! availability of seats
+1. Pretty excited, I was fairly confident coming into it that the outcome would be WL or reject due to spots left, happy to be on the positive side!

+1. Pretty excited, I was fairly confident coming into it that the outcome would be WL or reject due to spots left, happy to be on the positive side!

Agreed! Love the positivity !

+2! YAY :D does anyone know how the waitlist movement is for CUSOM / when the waitlist starts to move?

How did you all interpret the email? Are we to send an email to be placed on the waitlist, or do we just email updates?

For people on the waitlist, just as a reference, my class literally had someone pulled off the night before classes started in July. It was VERY unusual circumstances and not likely to happen again, but it goes to show that this can drag out a bit. I’d suggest y’all get comfortable and find things to do so it doesn’t way on you.