2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!

Is there an accepted students page on facebook yet? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I’m down to make an accepted students GroupMe if anyone’s interested. It’s a free instant messaging app that’s popular with college students, for those who don’t already know. You can mute the group if you don’t want notifications!

App download link: ‎GroupMe

"ARCOM Admitted Students" Group Join Link

This is not an anonymous group and this group is not sponsored by ARCOM!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I’m down to make an accepted students GroupMe if anyone’s interested. It’s a free instant messaging app that’s popular with college students, for those who don’t already know. You can mute the group if you don’t want notifications!

App download link: ‎GroupMe

"ARCOM Admitted Students" Group Join Link

This is not an anonymous group and this group is not sponsored by ARCOM!
I’m down for this. Please add me or let me know how I can be added. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 1/24. And was put on waitlist today.

Can any 3rd years comment on how they're handling the possibly 4+ hour away rotation sites? I went down the list for many of these rotation sites on Google Maps and many are quite distant.

1580835341967.png

Reactions: 1 users
Can any 3rd years comment on how they're handling the possibly 4+ hour away rotation sites? I went down the list for many of these rotation sites on Google Maps and many are quite distant.

View attachment 294703
These are all the sites (probably missing a few) where they have preceptors, and you can possibly rotate at for electives and selectives. But all of them aren't core sites. The core site is where you will be located at, and you don't have to rotate at these other hospitals if you don't want to. You will be assigned your core site in your Spring semester of 2nd year in a lottery based on the ones you will be ranking as your top 5. Here are the core sites and only two of them are 4 or more hours away (the one in poplar bluff, MO and the one in Shreveport, LA):
Screenshot_20200204-154954_Samsung Notes.jpg

You will be ordering/scheduling these tests on your own. Then you will be submitting them on Castlebranch. My drug test was through Quest diagnostics and they did urine.

How do we access Castlebranch? Do we wait until they send us the link?

Has the student housing gotten back to any one who has applied for it yet?

Has the student housing gotten back to any one who has applied for it yet?

I reached out a couple days ago and all they said was that they are not accepting deposits yet but that they have availability for their 1 and 2 bedrooms apartments!

Hey guys,

Does anyone know roughly when we will get a notification about going through and getting our vaccines/drug screens through castle branch? How long after the notification do we have to get everything done before the deadline? I want to make sure I have enough time to get them done before I head out of town.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted Friday, interviewed 1/31
Still hoping I get in - ARCOM is awesome!

Hey Y'all just wanted to chime in, interviewed: 1/10 and got waitlist email 1/23. Hopefully I can update with better news!

Reactions: 3 users
How will USMLE changing to pass/fail affect DO’s? People on reddit are freaking out and saying “DO’s are screwed” How realistic do you think that statement is?

How will USMLE changing to pass/fail affect DO’s? People on reddit are freaking out and saying “DO’s are screwed” How realistic do you think that statement is?
Probably pretty accurate but not as bad as they make it seem.

No one can tell you what's gonna happen because no one knows the future. There's a lot of ways this could go, Step 2 CK score might become more important, and more focus might shift towards research/presentation/publications, class rank, connections/letters of recommendations, and location. Also, COMLEX still has a score, so for DOs that might be used as a metric system. NBOME might even play this in their favor if they want and allow MDs to take COMLEX. One thing is for sure though, I don't see any reason why DOs should be taking step 1 anymore. Going forward you'll probably only need to take step 2 CK if they don't switch that to pass/fail as well.

No one can tell you what's gonna happen because no one knows the future. There's a lot of ways this could go, Step 2 CK score might become more important, and more focus might shift towards research/presentation/publications, class rank, connections/letters of recommendations, and location. Also, COMLEX still has a score, so for DOs that might be used as a metric system. NBOME might even play this in their favor if they want and allow MDs to take COMLEX. One thing is for sure though, I don't see any reason why DOs should be taking step 1 anymore. Going forward you'll probably only need to take step 2 CK if they don't switch that to pass/fail as well.
Every possible thing PDs might shift their attention to, we as DOs do not have, at least not as good compared to MD counterparts.

Every possible thing PDs might shift their attention to, we as DOs do not have, at least not as good compared to MD counterparts.
I know, but not imposible if you look for it. DOs lack research, but I was able to have some research and presentation, and currently working on another project right now. For connections, you probably will need to get out and go to conferences a lot more, and try to do your rotations at or close to a renown academic program and get at least one great letter. Also do as many audition rotations as you can. I know it's not gonna be easy, but I don't think it will be impossible. Plus by all means take step 2 if it's not pass/fail.

Whether you like it or not, the world just got significantly harder for future DOs. What a day.

Whether you like it or not, the world just got significantly harder for future DOs. What a day.
Time will tell. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. Yes, from the look of it, it might be more difficult, or everything might turn out just fine when we get there. Only real data point (which we won't get till 2024) can tell us if the sky is really falling or not.

I still think DO’s should take step 1, not taking is just another checkbox they can hold against you.

I know, but not imposible if you look for it. DOs lack research, but I was able to have some research and presentation, and currently working on another project right now. For connections, you probably will need to get out and go to conferences a lot more, and try to do your rotations at or close to a renown academic program and get at least one great letter. Also do as many audition rotations as you can. I know it's not gonna be easy, but I don't think it will be impossible. Plus by all means take step 2 if it's not pass/fail.

Did you find research through ARCOM or did you have to look outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you find research through ARCOM or did you have to look outside?

Yes, I did research through ARCOM. We have a dedicated lab space fully equipped on the 3rd floor. Plus you can receive a research stipend in the summer if you apply for it. I got $3200 stipend last summer.

I know plenty of people who interviewed late (like now) and got waitlisted last around this time last year. IDK if they're out of spots RN but it is late in the season. Many didn't hear anything from the WL until May or June. Sit tight. There's plenty of students here who were waitlisted. Remember people hoard acceptances. Don't beat yourself up if you're waiting for an A.

Also, the longer I spend time here, the more I realize this place is great.

what time did you get the email that day? i interviewed 2/7 so just feeling anxious, waiting to hear back..
I received my waitlist email around 11am-12pm on a Monday. I agree ARCOM was an awesome place and definitely exceeded all of my expectations! Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
I received my waitlist email around 11am-12pm on a Monday. I agree ARCOM was an awesome place and definitely exceeded all of my expectations! Best of luck to you!
thank you for responding and the luck and good luck to you too :)

Does ARCOM ever reject people after interviews? Or is it more of acceptance vs waitlist?

Does ARCOM ever reject people after interviews? Or is it more of acceptance vs waitlist?
Mostly acceptance and waitlist and a few get rejected.

Edit: They only interview people they're really interested in anyway which is why if you get a secondary 9 times out of 10, you will also get an interview and usually less than 5 days later.

Mostly acceptance and waitlist and a few get rejected.

Edit: They only interview people they're really interested in anyway which is why if you get a secondary 9 times out of 10, you will also get an interview and usually less than 5 days later.
Thank you!

These are all the sites (probably missing a few) where they have preceptors, and you can possibly rotate at for electives and selectives. But all of them aren't core sites. The core site is where you will be located at, and you don't have to rotate at these other hospitals if you don't want to. You will be assigned your core site in your Spring semester of 2nd year in a lottery based on the ones you will be ranking as your top 5. Here are the core sites and only two of them are 4 or more hours away (the one in poplar bluff, MO and the one in Shreveport, LA):View attachment 294717

So your core site is where you will be based for all of year 3? I found the following regarding 3rd year rotations:

Core OMS III Rotations
  • Internal Medicine I
  • Internal Medicine II
  • Surgery
  • OB/GYN
  • Pediatrics
  • Behavioral Health
Other OMS III Rotations
  • Family Medicine
  • Surgery Selective
  • Internal Medicine Selective
  • Elective I
  • Elective II
  • Non-Clinical Elective
Does this mean anything labeled as an elective or selective can be done as an away rotation or at a site other than your core site that you're assigned at the end of your 2nd year? Does this also apply to 4th year?

So your core site is where you will be based for all of year 3? I found the following regarding 3rd year rotations:

Core OMS III Rotations
  • Internal Medicine I
  • Internal Medicine II
  • Surgery
  • OB/GYN
  • Pediatrics
  • Behavioral Health
Other OMS III Rotations
  • Family Medicine
  • Surgery Selective
  • Internal Medicine Selective
  • Elective I
  • Elective II
  • Non-Clinical Elective
Does this mean anything labeled as an elective or selective can be done as an away rotation or at a site other than your core site that you're assigned at the end of your 2nd year? Does this also apply to 4th year?
Yes, electives can be done anywhere you want (at your core site or elsewhere). That's what people use to do their away/audition (sub-i) rotations. There was talk about them changing our clinical curriculum this year moving all electives to 4th year, so we can have more freedom in what we do and for residency application and interviews. I'll know more info (whether it happened or not) in a few weeks when I get my schedule for rotations.

Edit: yes, your core site is where you're gonna be based at for rotations.

Last edited:
Yes, electives can be done anywhere you want (at your core site or elsewhere). That's what people use to do there away/audition (sub-i) rotations. There was talk about them changing our clinical curriculum this year moving all electives to 4th year, so we can have more freedom in what we do and for residency application and interviews. I'll know more info (whether it happened or not) in a few weeks when I get my schedule for rotations.

Edit: yes, your core site is where you're gonna be based at for rotations.
I heard it's best to have at least one elective rotation third year to have an opportunity to explore non-primary specialties before 4th year. @DrStephenStrange what does the class think?

I heard it's best to have at least one elective rotation third year to have an opportunity to explore non-primary specialties before 4th year. @DrStephenStrange what does the class think?
You're right, that might help if you're still undecided about what you wanna do at that point, but you will still have your surgery selective to do anything surgery related, and your medicine selective (previously called IM selective) to do anything medicine related (from FM/IM subspecialty, psychiatry, neurology, EM, pm&r, etc.). So you'll still have some options in your 3rd year. And for 4th year I think most if not all your electives will be in the beginning of the year, so you'll be able to set away/audition rotations pretty early in 4th year (July/August). You can get at least 3 to 4 blocks of electives before residency interviews even begin. For me I like having all the electives in 4th year since I already know what I wanna do, and because it will give me more flexibility to navigate audition rotations, residency apps and interviews.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
If anybody is interested in moving to the Porches let me know. Breanne Linch can make it much easier for you to view or apply to live here. She can meet anytime and is willing to work with any schedule you might have. They are beautiful properties and conveniently close to the school. In my personal opinion, they are much nicer and better than the student housing through the school itself. I have lived in both and will be restarting my time at the school with you guys for the 2024 class.

Her contact info is:

(678) 294-7746 - Breanne Linch

Pic 2 Heritage.jpg
Pic 3 Heritage.jpg
Picture 1 Heritage.jpg

Does anybody know if a LOI will help with post-interview rejection?

Does anybody know if a LOI will help with post-interview rejection?

I don't think it would hurt, but from what I've read, LOI (Letter of Intents) should be reserved for when you hold acceptances (at least one). Is this the case for you? If not, I would instead recommend sending an update letter or letter of interest in which you can explain what you've been doing, why you're still interested etc.

Anyone here do the Masters in Biomed for a year before entering? Or accepted contingent upon completing this?

Anyone here do the Masters in Biomed for a year before entering? Or accepted contingent upon completing this?

I am in the masters program. Feel free to send me a message if ya have any questions.

Just got a secondary invite today. How many spots are there? I have a feeling I'll get waitlisted since it's so late in the application cycle.

Just got a secondary invite today. How many spots are there? I have a feeling I'll get waitlisted since it's so late in the application cycle.
Even if you're waitlisted, there's still a chance if you make a good impression. I know people from my class that interviewed in March. There's usually a fair amount of waitlist movement by June-early July. If you have another acceptance that you're happy with, I can understand not wanting to spend more money though.

Don't know for sure how many spots are open, but I'm 99.9% sure that waitlisteds are being handed out like candy now. That being said, if you like the school, align with their mission... complete the secondary because there's a 99.9% chance you'll get an interview invite. Maybe you'll be accepted, but you'll most likely be waitlisted. Could turn into an acceptance, considering this schools past history.

Even if you're waitlisted, there's still a chance if you make a good impression. I know people from my class that interviewed in March. There's usually a fair amount of waitlist movement by June-early July. If you have another acceptance that you're happy with, I can understand not wanting to spend more money though.

I interviewed at KCU a week ago but haven't heard back so I don't have an acceptance yet. I'll probably do the secondary soon. The thing is I submitted my primary to ARCOM back in October, they barely sent me the secondary today.

I interviewed at KCU a week ago but haven't heard back so I don't have an acceptance yet. I'll probably do the secondary soon. The thing is I submitted my primary to ARCOM back in October, they barely sent me the secondary today.
Well if you don't have an acceptance yet, then you must consider yourself rejected until proven otherwise. ARCOM only send secondaries to people they wanna interview, so complete the secondary and take it from there. I understand it might be getting a little late in the cycle, but it can't hurt to try to salvage it by exhausting all the opportunities you can get.