2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also just an FYI - when I interviewed (in Sept), they took our pictures for our student doc ID cards. Probably not an issue since you'll be lookin your best for interview day ;), but just so you're not surprised in case they don't let you know or you missed it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Got an acceptance here and was SOOO impressed at interview day. After getting another acceptance at a school closer to home, though, I let my seat go - so best of luck to those who are waiting! But literally had such a great feeling about this school. They seem to really be doing things right and if I was closer, they would have been a top choice next to an MD school I recently interviewed at, honestly. They're new but they definitely know what they're doing. Wanted to throw that out there for anyone having second thoughts or trying to decide. They are VERY receptive to the students and try to create the best learning environment and culture from what I saw. Everyone is so nice and it truly felt like a family there. When I got my call, I was ecstatic - they were my first acceptance and I didn't feel like I was settling in the slightest. Plus, turn-around time from interview to acceptance was super quick. Very impressive school. (Their interview day is still my favorite so far....no "down time" where you are sitting or waiting around, no cafeteria lunch (they catered great food in a conference room), tour was thorough and very informative, and overall it was laid back and truly so fun.) If you get an interview here and are wondering if you should go, do it. I bought a plane ticket for this interview and even though I did not keep the seat, I don't regret it at all b/c it was that great of an experience.
I have had a very similar experience and the same sentiment to what you described here. This is an awesome school and I'm having a really hard time justifying not moving across the country to enroll after a recent acceptance near my hometown. The culture here was impressive and ARCOM is no doubt a great school.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had a very similar experience and the same sentiment to what you described here. This is an awesome school and I'm having a really hard time justifying not moving across the country to enroll after a recent acceptance near my hometown. The culture here was impressive and ARCOM is no doubt a great school.
yes, it was a VERY difficult decision to make when I received the acceptance closer to home. I was also willing to move across the country to enroll and attend. I had even picked out a house there. But, I had to make the wisest decision with my money and the cost of moving so far along with being so far from family just ended up being too much when I had another option open up. I still have some guilt and hope I made a good decision because, man, ARCOM is amazing. They are definitely going to be making a name for themselves the longer they are around. I think the doctors who come out of that school are going to be setting an extremely high standard for DOs and MDs alike.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick the school close to home! Nothing at ARCOM is that unique or special to forgo any resemblance of a support network. Cultures change and ARCOM hasn’t been around long enough to impress you on subjects that truly matter; even if you feel they’re headed in the correct direction.

So I sent out my deposit last week but I don’t see anything online that they have received it. The deadline is today and they’re closed >.< I’m freaking out . What should I do ?! Does something show up on our portal where it says they received it ?

Pick the school close to home! Nothing at ARCOM is that unique or special to forgo any resemblance of a support network. Cultures change and ARCOM hasn’t been around long enough to impress you on subjects that truly matter; even if you feel they’re headed in the correct direction.
I'm certainly staying home, but it was a hard decision nonetheless. This school had the strongest positive impression relative to others during interview day. The tuition is decent for a new DO school, like $60k cheaper than the ones over here.

Howdy, y'all! Anyone know how ARCOM processes pre-matriculation documents/tests? Specifically, when do we need to have drug/lab tests and a physical examination done by after acceptance?

So I sent out my deposit last week but I don’t see anything online that they have received it. The deadline is today and they’re closed >.< I’m freaking out . What should I do ?! Does something show up on our portal where it says they received it ?

Hey! It would not let me reply to your PM so I’ll just answer you here.

I just ended up paying via credit card I think on December 6th. It took a couple days for it to update on the portal and receive an email saying I payed the deposit.

I wouldn’t worry about it. When they open back up again, I would tell them about the issue and I’m sure they’ll take your word for it.

Let me know if you need any more help. I’m sure everything will work out :)

If I deposit the $2000 after acceptance, am I bound to attend this school or am I allowed to forfeit my seat if I get a better offer elsewhere? Maybe one of the current students in this thread may know?

If I deposit the $2000 after acceptance, am I bound to attend this school or am I allowed to forfeit my seat if I get a better offer elsewhere? Maybe one of the current students in this thread may know?
You may submit multiple deposits and the schools you've been accepted to would not know at this time. Yes, you can forfeit your seat for a different offer. Per AACOMAS: "Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges are asked to report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn. After May 15, each school may implement specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other schools."

I overnighted my check on 12/21 with a tracking number. They were closed, so they couldn't receive it. Trying to decide if I should cancel the check and pay online or call when they open back up and explain.

I overnighted my check on 12/21 with a tracking number. They were closed, so they couldn't receive it. Trying to decide if I should cancel the check and pay online or call when they open back up and explain.
I would cancel & pay online.

definitely pay online
do not take a chance
they will refund the extra amount or apply to your tuition if you choose to go here

Members don't see this ad :)
for those that have interviewed, what time did y'all finish? im looking at a 3:45 pm flight out of fort smith. would i be good with this flight?

for those that have interviewed, what time did y'all finish? im looking at a 3:45 pm flight out of fort smith. would i be good with this flight?
Another poster asked an identical question some pages back. Yes, 3:45pm works fine. The airport is 5 miles away from the school and extremely small, security gate takes no time.

Another poster asked an identical question some pages back. Yes, 3:45pm works fine. The airport is 5 miles away from the school and extremely small, security gate takes no time.
Thanks! I found a cheaper flight with my points that leaves at 2:20pm. would i still be good if the interview ends at 1:30pm or would that 2:20pm flight be pushing it?

Thanks! I found a cheaper flight with my points that leaves at 2:20pm. would i still be good if the interview ends at 1:30pm or would that 2:20pm flight be pushing it?
Honestly, it'd probably be fine, but I wouldn't risk it unless you're saving some significant money and had some sort of good insurance.

for those that currently attend arcom, do they offer many scholarship options? and how much in grants were you able to get through fafsa?

• Haha

Don't risk it, my day ended at 2. Go for 3:45

for those that currently attend arcom, do they offer many scholarship options? and how much in grants were you able to get through fafsa?
The only scholarship we got was a $1000 which went into our Doctor's bag and stethoscope. But you can still apply for other scholarships if you want. The school has a list of scholarships available you can apply for somewhere on the website I think. Grants from fafsa? No, you don't get those anymore in graduate level. You only get federal loans from now on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Are there any stats out on Step 1 pass rates for this school? I believe the inaugural class took it this spring/summer 2019 right?

Are there any stats out on Step 1 pass rates for this school? I believe the inaugural class took it this spring/summer 2019 right?
I'm not sure we'll get Step 1 stats since I think less than half the inaugural took both USMLE and COMLEX. You can expect COMLEX stats this coming semester though as hopefully everyone has taken it by now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

What hotels do you guys recommend staying at in fort smith! Just received an interview and could not be more happy to attend!

What hotels do you guys recommend staying at in fort smith! Just received an interview and could not be more happy to attend!
Feel free to read the thread, this question has been discussed at length. Good luck with your interview!

How easy is it to get an uber in Fort Smith? I'm interviewing on 1/23. And I want to just uber to places instead of renting a car.

How easy is it to get an uber in Fort Smith? I'm interviewing on 1/23. And I want to just uber to places instead of renting a car.
From my experience not very reliable, nothing was available the day of my interview.

did you rent a car?
No, my wife ended up having to drop me off (we had our daughter and didn’t want to wake her if we didn’t have to). I know two of the hotels in the area do shuttle to the campus.

No, my wife ended up having to drop me off (we had our daughter and didn’t want to wake her if we didn’t have to). I know two of the hotels in the area do shuttle to the campus.
do you know which 2 hotels those are?

• Okay...
do you know which 2 hotels those are?
Hampton and home 2 suites probably. I went to hampton cause I didn’t know that home2suites shuttled (the suites is probably cheaper than Hampton; I noticed most students took the their shuttles). They shuttled me to and from the school and airport from the hotel every which way.

Hampton and home 2 suites probably. I went to hampton cause I didn’t know that home2suites shuttled (the suites is probably cheaper than Hampton; I noticed most students took the their shuttles). They shuttled me to and from the school and airport from the hotel every which way.
did you have to pay extra or was it included in the hotel price?

Is our spot secured once we pay our deposit and upload the matriculation agreement? Does anyone know when the immunization records are due?

Is our spot secured once we pay our deposit and upload the matriculation agreement? Does anyone know when the immunization records are due?
I believe it is. If I recall correctly they said they will send forms in the spring time?
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, please.

for current students, does the school provide a lot of scholarship options to students that are through the school? or do most people receive 3rd party scholarships?

• Haha

Paying the $2,000 and uploading the agreement secures your seat in the class. From my understanding, we should be receiving information this month about deadlines for pre-matriculation requirements such as titers. Page 21 of the ARCOM '19-'20 student handbook says the 3 health forms (physical exam form, immunizations form, and TB form) are due May 1st for those accepted prior to March 15th. Immunization requirements are found on page 22.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I was able to get Ubers rather easily on my interview day to and from campus to my hotel.

Does anyone know specifics of the dress code? I tried looking up information, but had trouble finding specifics. If I remember correctly, we need to dress up in business casual (khakis, button down sort of thing and not dress pants/shirts), scrubs for lab, and t-shirt/shorts for OMM right? Or am I wrong about the dressing up for class part? Just trying to get the correct information before I go buying clothes lol.

Also, I have contacted The Residents/The Village about security deposits and they say they will be reaching out when they are ready to receive deposits. Is anyone planning on living on campus or have people found other options near campus?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I was able to get Ubers rather easily on my interview day to and from campus to my hotel.

Does anyone know specifics of the dress code? I tried looking up information, but had trouble finding specifics. If I remember correctly, we need to dress up in business casual (khakis, button down sort of thing and not dress pants/shirts), scrubs for lab, and t-shirt/shorts for OMM right? Or am I wrong about the dressing up for class part? Just trying to get the correct information before I go buying clothes lol.

Also, I have contacted The Residents/The Village about security deposits and they say they will be reaching out when they are ready to receive deposits. Is anyone planning on living on campus or have people found other options near campus?

You have to dress up in business casual every day until 6pm. You do not need to dress up in suits/ties. Khakis are very common. Females usually wear dress pants and a blouse or a dress. You will need to purchase scrubs in surgical green for anatomy lab. The uniform scrub place close to campus has scrubs in the color ARCOM wants. You will be given a uniform of shirt/shorts for OMM.

You have to dress up in business casual every day until 6pm. You do not need to dress up in suits/ties. Khakis are very common. Females usually wear dress pants and a blouse or a dress. You will need to purchase scrubs in surgical green for anatomy lab. The uniform scrub place close to campus has scrubs in the color ARCOM wants. You will be given a uniform of shirt/shorts for OMM.

I was reading the ACHE handbook which said collared shirts for men and "slacks or pants." It makes no mention of tucking in your shirt. Does this mean a a nice button-up collared shirt untucked with a pair of khakis + nice shoes is acceptable?

I was reading the ACHE handbook which said collared shirts for men and "slacks or pants." It makes no mention of tucking in your shirt. Does this mean a a nice button-up collared shirt untucked with a pair of khakis + nice shoes is acceptable?
It depends on your style. Plenty of people don’t wear their shirts tucked in. What you described is pretty typical on campus.

Lol I wear untucked polo shirts (sometimes I slip in with a T-shirts with a sweater on top) and khaki pants with a pair of black vans shoes everyday, and I wear sweatpants and t-shirts to FOPC and OMM lab (you don't have to wear the OMM uniform or scrubs especially if it's cold outside). Definitely only wear the green scrubs for anatomy lab though. The only time I wear button-up shirt with dress pants and a tie is for patient encounters and Sim labs because in these scenarios you're basically playing Doctor, and that's how they will expect you to show up for your COMLEX level 2 PE.

Lol I wear untucked polo shirts (sometimes I slip in with a T-shirts with a sweater on top) and khaki pants with a pair of black vans shoes everyday, and I wear sweatpants and t-shirts to FOPC and OMM lab (you don't have to wear the OMM uniform or scrubs especially if it's cold outside). Definitely only wear the green scrubs for anatomy lab though. The only time I wear button-up shirt with dress pants and a tie is for patient encounters and Sim labs because in these scenarios you're basically playing Doctor, and that's how they will expect you to show up for your COMLEX level 2 PE.
Can a woman comment on what she wears also?

Usually when waitlist movement start and what is the chance of getting off the waitlist.