2019-2020 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update for waitlist from accepted student zoom call today. The school is approved for Class expansion to 207 students. They have exactly 207 accepted right now but they expect waitlist movement in the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Update for waitlist from accepted student zoom call today. The school is approved for Class expansion to 207 students. They have exactly 207 accepted right now but expect waitlist In the next few weeks.
At least they are not over accepted at this point

Reactions: 2 users
Update for waitlist from accepted student zoom call today. The school is approved for Class expansion to 207 students. They have exactly 207 accepted right now but they expect waitlist movement in the next few weeks.
Was there someone from admissions on the call that gave y’all this waitlist update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there someone from admissions on the call that gave y’all this waitlist update?
Yes, Mr. Willis commented on the WL. Dr. Rynolds the dean of students was the one who gave the information about the official class expansion and also a curriculum change.

Reactions: 1 user
What was the original class size before expansion?

This doesn't sound hopeful to me. By now students who aren't committed to attending ACOM would've dropped their acceptance.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
This doesn't sound hopeful to me. By now students who aren't committed to attending ACOM would've dropped their acceptance.

Not necessarily I had a classmate that was admitted the week before orientation. People drop acceptances last minute for a lot of reasons.

I emailed Mr. Willis and he confirmed that they’re still planning on taking 18-20 students off of the waitlist

Reactions: 5 users
I emailed Mr. Willis and he confirmed that they’re still planning on taking 18-20 students off of the waitlist
Did he give an estimate about when this would be happening?

Or is it what he said previously "up until July"?

Did he give an estimate about when this would be happening?

Or is it what he said previously "up until July"?
Same as previously, just up until July and that they have already begun taking people off. But if their class is at capacity I’m not sure if he said this to ease my mind or if they’re over enrolling to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the curriculum change?
The thing that the classes ahead of us advocated for was for us to take all of anatomy and then start molecular medicine. Previously we would take anatomy and molecular medicine at the same time for the whole semester. This makes it so we hard focusing on two huge subjects at once. It really only affects the first semester of the OMS I

I know personally of 2 students with multiple DO acceptance so there is still a chance! I would love to see you guys in July!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Got accepted to my hometown medical school! I will be declining my seat tomorrow. Hope it goes to one of y’all!

Reactions: 8 users
I was on the interview waitlist, but haven’t received a rejection. I don’t know what they would be waiting for unless the rumors of adding another interview date are true? Is anyone else in the same boat or heard anything?

I was on the interview waitlist, but haven’t received a rejection. I don’t know what they would be waiting for unless the rumors of adding another interview date are true? Is anyone else in the same boat or heard anything?
Not sure, maybe asking Mr. Willis if there will be another interview may shed some light for you and others? It could be good idea to maybe write a letter of intent emphasizing your need to go to ACOM in conjunction with asking if there will be another interview could perhaps be better?

Has anybody asked what their rank is?
Oof no way. That’s some info I’ll pass on finding out. If it’s high it’ll kill my motivation to reapply this month and if it’s low it’ll crush the ole self esteem.

Has anybody asked what their rank is?
I haven't. I think I will Monday, since Mr. Willis did say, according to an earlier post by someone, they may disclose the exact position or general position (what third of the list we are in). I think it would be good information to know.

Just hoping it won't be annoying asking...

I haven't. I think I will Monday, since Mr. Willis did say, according to an earlier post by someone, they may disclose the exact position or general position (what third of the list we are in). I think it would be good information to know.

Just hoping it won't be annoying asking...
Yeah I emailed him last week so I don't wanna over do it

I think Mr. Willis will tell you what half of the waitlist you are on if you ask!

Reactions: 3 users
I want to do this but I'm a little scared to find out.

I asked him this because I wanted to plan for the future with some idea. It wasn’t too helpful because it didn’t tell me where within the 50% I belonged but I was still appreciative for the information.

I asked him this because I wanted to plan for the future with some idea. It wasn’t too helpful because it didn’t tell me where within the 50% I belonged but I was still appreciative for the information.
My stats are low so I'm probably at the bottom 50% anyways. I wonder why they won't reveal the ranks. Could it be to not
discourage prospective student?

I emailed him, and he told me I‘m in the middle of the list. If anybody plans on emailing him, can y’all also ask how many people are on the waitlist? I don’t want to bother him by emailing him again asking that

I emailed him, and he told me I‘m in the middle of the list. If anybody plans on emailing him, can y’all also ask how many people are on the waitlist? I don’t want to bother him by emailing him again asking that
I tried, and didn't get an answer

I emailed him today and he told me that I was on the top 50% of the list, but can't tell me the exact position. He then said "This information is being maintained at the Dean’s level and he is making the selection as we have open seats.". Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
I emailed him today and he told me that I was on the top 50% of the list, but can't tell me the exact position. He then said "This information is being maintained at the Dean’s level and he is making the selection as we have open seats.". Hope this helps!
Did you give any reason as to why you were asking for your general position, or did you just ask if there was any information they could release?

Did you give any reason as to why you were asking for your general position, or did you just ask if there was any information they could release?
This is what I emailed to him (it was a reply to my update email so he remembered who I was)

Dear Mr.Willis,

I hope you and the rest of the wonderful ACOM staff is doing well amidst these tough times. If possible, may I know what my standing is for this year's waitlist? I would immensely appreciate it. Knowing so would be helpful for future planning.

Thanks and best regards,

I think we all just wanna know how many folks are on the waitlist

I was told judging by MCAT I'm on the top 50%. My MCAT is 506. What is everyone else's?

I was told judging by MCAT I'm on the top 50%. My MCAT is 506. What is everyone else's?
I don't think that's the only parameter, because my MCAT is quite a bit lower and I was also told I'm in the top half of the waitlist. Who knows if they're even showing their hand as to what and who they're considering.

I don't think that's the only parameter, because my MCAT is quite a bit lower and I was also told I'm in the top half of the waitlist. Who knows if they're even showing their hand as to what and who they're considering.
My MCAT wasn’t even mentioned. He said I would be somewhere in the middle bc of my GPA so idk what they’re actually using to determine our positions on the waitlist

My MCAT wasn’t even mentioned. He said I would be somewhere in the middle bc of my GPA so idk what they’re actually using to determine our positions on the waitlist
Mind private messaging me your stats? Just want to get an idea of what they consider the middle

YOOOO!!!!!!! I WAS JUST TAKEN OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY!!!!

There's definitely movement happening, so don't give up hope!!!

Reactions: 17 users
YOOOO!!!!!!! I WAS JUST TAKEN OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY!!!!

There's definitely movement happening, so don't give up hope!!!
Congrats!! Did they notify you by email or did they call you?

Awesome! Happy for you! Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats, please?

I'll mention this here as I was asked this question by a few people already and I think that additional information is always helpful. Believe me, I was anxiously checking the forum to see if any movement was happening until I got the call today. I don't want to share my stats, but I can tell you that your rank on the WL isn't only based on your stats. I was told that I was in the top 1/3 but I had an MCAT of 504. Someone else was in the top 50% with a 506, so it's not only based on stats. I was told that 2 people were taken off of the WL when I called last Friday, so, including me, this makes 3 seats that we know of so far.

Reactions: 3 users