2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
Secondary Received! Two essays, 500 word limit on both.

What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current OMS-III (soon to be OMS-IV), feel free to pm/reply with questions

Reactions: 3 users
ACOM just announced that they are having a virtual ShaDO Day since the one in April was canceled. The Director of Admissions will be on as well as some faculty members and students for Q&A.

For anyone interested in ACOM, I have heard from many classmates that this is a great opportunity to show your interest in the school and a good opportunity to interact with faculty and the Director of Admissions so that they can put a face to a name when going through applications.

For any accepted students, this would be a great opportunity to get any of your questions answered before committing to ACOM.

Attachments

• ShaDO Day Flyer.png
    ShaDO Day Flyer.png
    410.4 KB · Views: 223
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Finding conflicting information online. Does anyone know if ACOM requires CASPer?

Hey guys! Finding conflicting information online. Does anyone know if ACOM requires CASPer?

yes they do. It’s stated on their Facebook page and on the Casper site you can see all schools that require it and Acom is there

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I was accepted this cycle to ACOM so if anyone has questions feel free to PM/reply to me. I don't know as much about the school as the OMS-IV student above, but I just went through the application process so I can probably help there!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I was accepted this cycle to ACOM so if anyone has questions feel free to PM/reply to me. I don't know as much about the school as the OMS-IV student above, but I just went through the application process so I can probably help there!
Hi!

It's my understanding that ACOM last year was maybe a little ahead of the rest of the schools in terms timeline for first interviews and acceptances. Does this sound like how it went for you last year?

Hi!

It's my understanding that ACOM last year was maybe a little ahead of the rest of the schools in terms timeline for first interviews and acceptances. Does this sound like how it went for you last year?
I would definitely check last years thread for actual dates/details but I believe so. I applied around August and received an II in late October. I actually wasn't able to schedule my interview until the end of the day because I was busy and all of the spots filled up until January which kinda sucked. But in terms of ahead of schools, ACOM let us know our status (A,WL,R) about a week after interview! I loved that I didn't have to wait around a month like I did for another school I interviewed for.

Secondary received!

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

Secondary Received! Two essays, 500 word limit on both.

What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

@PapaGuava

Secondary received!

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we no longer log into the secondary portal after we submit? Also I did not receive confirmation email from the Alabama COM after I submitted the secondary. I did receive a an payment notification email from PayPal though.

Also received the secondary today. Verified 6/12.

Can we no longer log into the secondary portal after we submit? Also I did not receive confirmation email from the Alabama COM after I submitted the secondary. I did receive a an payment notification email from PayPal though.
I didn't receive an e-mail either.
However, I was able to access the home page of the website again, not the actual secondary.
I was able to access the Home page and had a little checklist (supplemental, aacomas, casper etc) on the right side of the website.

What are the minimum requirements to receive a secondary for this school? The website does not list specifics but rather averages.

Does anyone know if the CASPer needs to be done in order for them to mark as complete/review our application?

Does anyone know if the CASPer needs to be done in order for them to mark as complete/review our application?

Per my memory, yes. I remember early summer getting an email from ACOM saying it was required to be considered for an interview. I’ll try to find it.

Per my memory, yes. I remember early summer getting an email from ACOM saying it was required to be considered for an interview. I’ll try to find it.
Thanks, let us know! I would prefer to not have to worry about CASPer until after my MCAT haha

Is anyone else having difficulty going on Home - CASPer and reserving a test? I am selecting the United States of America as my program country, however, when I press next, it will not let me go to question number 2 (Admissions Cycle). Any help from anyone who has registered for the Casper test would be greatly appreciated!!!

Is anyone else having difficulty going on Home - CASPer and reserving a test? I am selecting the United States of America as my program country, however, when I press next, it will not let me go to question number 2 (Admissions Cycle). Any help from anyone who has registered for the Casper test would be greatly appreciated!!!

Try using another browser, try Chrome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try using another browser, try Chrome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much!!! I was able to register for the exam. Do you know how to study for the exam and would you recommend a good website to prepare for the exam? Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated!!!

OOS (from neighboring state) Verified 6/2.

Do ya'll think there will be another wave of secondaries?

Thanks so much!!! I was able to register for the exam. Do you know how to study for the exam and would you recommend a good website to prepare for the exam? Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated!!!

CASPer is setup so that you’re not supposed to study for it. CASPer recommends not to buy any test prep since the test is designed not to let you improve. Personally, I would recommend doing the free CASPer practice exam on your account.

OOS (from neighboring state) Verified 6/2.

Do ya'll think there will be another wave of secondaries?
I'm pretty sure the secondaries along with the admission process is rolling. You should be receiving a secondary soon assuming you meet the minimum criteria, it's still very early in the cycle. Best of luck.

CASPer is setup so that you’re not supposed to study for it. CASPer recommends not to buy any test prep since the test is designed not to let you improve. Personally, I would recommend doing the free CASPer practice exam on your account.
Thank you very much! I do not know much about the exam other than the fact that you can't really study from it (from what I heard). I will take the free CASPer practice exams (I think there are 2 - 2019-2020 and 2020-2021). Are there any other websites that have practice tests? How do most SDN members prepare for the exam (if at all)?

Thank you very much! I do not know much about the exam other than the fact that you can't really study from it (from what I heard). I will take the free CASPer practice exams (I think there are 2 - 2019-2020 and 2020-2021). Are there any other websites that have practice tests? How do most SDN members prepare for the exam (if at all)?

No problem. It’s mostly scenarios and then you respond in a written format in 5 minutes. Personally, I did the practice. It’s very low stress, especially compared to the MCAT or ACT, SAT, etc.

No problem. It’s mostly scenarios and then you respond in a written format in 5 minutes. Personally, I did the practice. It’s very low stress, especially compared to the MCAT or ACT, SAT, etc.
Thanks for your response. When you said you did the practice, are you just referring to the 2 practice exams that are on the CASPer website? Is that the only preparation you had?

Thanks for your response. When you said you did the practice, are you just referring to the 2 practice exams that are on the CASPer website? Is that the only preparation you had?

Yes, you might want to search SDN for other strategies. The questions and scenarios will be different every time, so memorization will not help.

I'm pretty sure the secondaries along with the admission process is rolling. You should be receiving a secondary soon assuming you meet the minimum criteria, it's still very early in the cycle. Best of luck.
Crap, it was sitting in my junk folder since Thurs. Check your spam folder, ya'll!

Does anyone know if we are supposed to use code 10101 for CASPer? That is the selection "other" when selecting a test. However, there is a button for "osteopathic." I wonder why ACOM wants us to use the "other" button?? Maybe anyone who's already taken it or current OMS's can chime in. Thanks!

Edit: I should add that when I try to select "other" with CSP 10101 code coming up, it asks me "Which schools are you applying to?" But ACOM is not on the list. When I select "Osteopathic" with code CSP-10111 ACOM -does- show up. Despite the e-mail's instructions, is this the one you guys took? Thanks!

Does anyone know if we are supposed to use code 10101 for CASPer? That is the selection "other" when selecting a test. However, there is a button for "osteopathic." I wonder why ACOM wants us to use the "other" button?? Maybe anyone who's already taken it or current OMS's can chime in. Thanks!

Edit: I should add that when I try to select "other" with CSP 10101 code coming up, it asks me "Which schools are you applying to?" But ACOM is not on the list. When I select "Osteopathic" with code CSP-10111 ACOM -does- show up. Despite the e-mail's instructions, is this the one you guys took? Thanks!

Exact same thing happened to me and I already took my CASPer exam. I emailed and they said “we checked with Casper and your exam is fine.” I did Osteopathic Medicine and it shows it’s being sent to ACOM. So I think it is on ACOM’s end with those exam codes but YMMV.

Exact same thing happened to me and I already took my CASPer exam. I emailed and they said “we checked with Casper and your exam is fine.” I did Osteopathic Medicine and it shows it’s being sent to ACOM. So I think it is on ACOM’s end with those exam codes but YMMV.

Thanks so much!!!

When I log back into my supplementary application the essay boxes appear blank. Is this normal?

Hello,

I noticed that all my other schools said they received my CASPer exam, but it appears to be missing for ACOM. Is anyone else having an issue with ACOM not receiving CASPer scores?

Hello,

I noticed that all my other schools said they received my CASPer exam, but it appears to be missing for ACOM. Is anyone else having an issue with ACOM not receiving CASPer scores?

Yes, me as well. They are probably just behind. Have you waited 2 full weeks?

Hello,

I emailed them and they said it’ll take a while because they’re manually inputting the scores in!

Reactions: 1 users
Received an email from ACOM saying my supplemental app was received. 8 hours later, another email was sent telling me to fill out my supplemental application so I do not know what to do. Under my checklist box on the ACOM site, everything is checked off (except CASPer) and my supplemental app button, but I can physically click the box and check it off???? Anyone else with a similar situation? Idk if I should email them or just wait a little.

Edit: Also under my app status, it says my supplement application was received!

Received an email from ACOM saying my supplemental app was received. 8 hours later, another email was sent telling me to fill out my supplemental application so I do not know what to do. Under my checklist box on the ACOM site, everything is checked off (except CASPer) and my supplemental app button, but I can physically click the box and check it off???? Anyone else with a similar situation? Idk if I should email them or just wait a little.

Edit: Also under my app status, it says my supplement application was received!
I'm in the same boat where I can check the box of my supplemental, but I haven't received an email telling me to fill it out again.
It won't hurt to e-mail them to clarify, we're supposed to be responsible for our own application status anyways. I say do it so you can get peace of mind for a while :)

I’m in a similar situation. Shows a checkmark that secondary is complete, but I never received an email. They say go by the micro site checklist in their email...

Secondary Received: 6/25
Secondary Completed: 6/25
Marked completed by ACOM: 7/3

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Received: 6/25
Secondary Completed: 6/25
Marked completed by ACOM: 7/3
+1, Secondary Received and Completed 6/25, Received by ACOM 7/1, Marked Complete 7/3. They say they'll start sending out interviews in a few weeks.

How are you guys finding out which secondaries you've sent are "Marked complete"? Do you sign into each individual account or are you getting an e-mail?

How are you guys finding out which secondaries you've sent are "Marked complete"? Do you sign into each individual account or are you getting an e-mail?
Typically they send an email, but I've also been obsessively checking portals.