2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard the leesburg site is relatively new and isn’t the greatest. Can you speak on which sites are most favorable for individuals wanting to establish strong connections for competitive specialties?
An ACOM dean told me UF is trying to kick ACOM out of Leesburg since they bought it, he said this year could be the last year ACOM sends 3rd years but they are still in negotiations. But honestly, I do not believe any of ACOM sites (and DO school sites in general) help with strong connections for super-competitive specialties, unless they have a residency program you are looking for. For example, if you want ortho, NS, ENT, Optho you will have to reach outside of your core site and do 3-5 sub-I's. The only thing I have heard is Baldwin in Foley has a good ortho group that will help you learn a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly can't remember but West Florida is starting either GS, ortho or Uro. And yeah I heard the thing about UF trying to kick us out too :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When should we apply for private loans, considering it would be too late to wait for the financial aid awards? And any suggestions as to which banks/ loan vendors give decent interest for student loans? I know sofi and Sally Mae do, but I would like to know what yall think.
Sorry it was actually 6/1, what o you mean by too late for financial aid awards? It's my understanding that private medical school loans are a nightmare.

I just gave up my seat. I hope it goes to one of you. ACOM sounds like a great program that is truly committed to their students.

Reactions: 10 users
May 20th, another few weeks later, still on the waitlist since interview in late February

Waitlisted gang, wya ✌🥺 captain waitlist checking in (LOI sent months ago, attended ShaDO day)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hang in there fam. More spots opening soon according to reliable sources.
May 20th, another few weeks later, still on the waitlist since interview in late February

Waitlisted gang, wya ✌🥺 captain waitlist checking in (LOI sent months ago, attended ShaDO day)

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone have any insight on waitlist movement?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance! Hope it goes to one of you soon.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Went on the visit today and found out my phone service is horrible on campus. Anyone know what does work out there?

Went on the visit today and found out my phone service is horrible on campus. Anyone know what does work out there?
Nothing lol. Luckily the school wifi extends out pretty far so you can place wifi calls at least.

• Wow
has there been any waitlist movement? does anyone have any insight on usually how many ppl get accepted from the waitlist?

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a facebook or groupme for admitted students? Thank you for the help in advance:)
Have you already been admitted?

I can send you the GroupMe link through PM. I believe once you're admitted the school sends you a link to the admitted Facebook group.

For all accepted students be sure to check your ACOM email. I had a couple of things that needed to be attended to and had not set up email forwarding yet.

Thank you guys <3 Not currently living in FL but did spend a good part of my childhood there. They just called me about 30 mins ago!
that's awesome! where are u from? just curious to know bc i think they call AL ppl first and then look at FL and GA

anyone know how to go about taking out student loans and if there is a deadline? I saw the request form online but I am still confused...I have completed my FASFA which was the extent of information in the matriculation packet

anyone know how to go about taking out student loans and if there is a deadline? I saw the request form online but I am still confused...I have completed my FASFA which was the extent of information in the matriculation packet
do FASFA and everything in the matriculation packet and then the finical aid office should email you with more information.

After FASFA is completed they send you a financial aid offer that has the max amount you can take out on it, you can specify less if you want. Once the notice is issued it is good for 2 weeks. Check your ACOM email, I already received mine but I was told they should have everyones offer out by 7/1.

Are there any medical equipment bags out there on the resale market?

Also apparently they are telling a class of 2025 to get a panoptic otoscope which I think is insane. You will literally use it once for 5 minutes.

What is the go to for wifi in the Dothan/Southeast Alabama area.

Recently got off the waitlist. Interviewed in February.

Reactions: 8 users
I just withdrew my acceptance from ACOM today as I got into my top choice recently! I hope my spot goes to one of you. :)

Reactions: 9 users
ACOM has been my #1 ever since I interviewed in October. Finally got the acceptance call this morning!!

Was scheduled to move in 5 days for my original acceptance but decided to go with ACOM shortly after the call. Now scrambling to accommodate these significant changes o_O anxiety is through the roof but the excitement is real.

See y'all next month! 😅 🍻

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
ACOM has been my #1 ever since I interviewed in October. Finally got the acceptance call this morning!!

Was scheduled to move in 5 days for my original acceptance but decided to go with ACOM shortly after the call. Now scrambling to accommodate these significant changes o_O anxiety is through the roof but the excitement is real.

Congrats!

congrats!!