2020-2021 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked or unranked? And has anyone been accepted off the waitlist recently?
It’s ranked internally. Someone got off as recently as Thursday

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
IDK if anyone from the school frequents these threads (they prob do or at least should) but please do this.
It would definitely make students choose this school over others. Also less emphasis on in-house exams, just buy the NBME tests that other schools use so students can study board resource materials, which is the ultimate test we have to pass to continue on with our education. I don't see any net negatives to standardizing medical educations from school to school.
they do not and they will not switch to NBME anytime soon. I know other students who have brought this up.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would a current student be willing to let me PM them with some questions about their experience living in Dothan?

Reactions: 1 user
Would a current student be able to post a block schedule? :)
do you want to see how the classes are laid out through a semester or do you want to see what a normal exam block looks like?

1617379637543.png
1617379661581.png

Here is a typical 2-week schedule. M= mandatory event.
D= dress code- scrubs of business casual
W=white coat dress
Grey= anatomy event
pink= OPP event
Green= foundations of a modern healthcare event
Orange= Primary clinical skills event
Red= test, test reviews, and practicals.
DSA= designated student assignment usually reading
IS= integrated session basically a review session.

Anatomy you have a test every 2-3 weeks. some tests will just be 1 subject others will be all subjects, so the length of the test varies based on the number of events.

Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 334006View attachment 334007
W=white coat dress
Grey= anatomy event
pink= OPP event

Anatomy you have a test every 2-3 weeks. some tests will just be 1 subject others will be all subjects, so the length of the test varies based on the number of events.

Did you make this schedule yourself? If so what made you choose colors for what you did?

W=white coat dress
Grey= anatomy event
pink= OPP event

Also how are the test review and practical overlapping?

Did you make this schedule yourself? If so what made you choose colors for what you did?
No this is the official school calendar, they choose the worst colors for some classes, you will see. and practical/ review overlap was due to COVID they spaced it out so you went in groups.

Members don't see this ad :)
No this is the official school calendar, they choose the worst colors for some classes, you will see. and practical/ review overlap was due to COVID they spaced it out so you went in groups.
Okay that makes me feel a little better. I am terrible making schedules like that and like that they provide you with some organization even if the colors are terrible.

it should be noted that the schedule shown was a relatively light one, especially once you get to molec and systems

Yeah, @musman9853 is right. During anatomy, you only do 1/2 of the labs so you have a lot of free time when the other lab is dissecting. once you get to the second half of 1st year you have about 1.5x the lectures as you had during anatomy

Yeah, @musman9853 is right. During anatomy, you only do 1/2 of the labs so you have a lot of free time when the other lab is dissecting. once you get to the second half of 1st year you have about 1.5x the lectures as you had during anatomy
Right so the only classes that we have to attend are the ones with M and we only have to attend 60% of them correct? (In a normal, non covid era)

yeah so you need to be at 100% of Mandatory ones but 60% of total lectures

W=white coat dress
Grey= anatomy event
pink= OPP event

Bruh this like a 9-5 job lmao

Nothing says "waste my time" more than a mandatory yoga and meditation class. I keep going back to that block pic hoping I read it wrong. You've gotta be making this up.

• Haha
Nothing says "waste my time" more than a mandatory yoga and meditation class. I keep going back to that block pic hoping I read it wrong. You've gotta be making this up.
it's from the 2nd week of school so it's a coping with the stress of med school lecture, one of them being yoga. But welcome to med school a lot of people think foundations class is a waste of time but you learn a lot of valuable info in that class

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
it's from the 2nd week of school so it's a coping with the stress of med school lecture, one of them being yoga. But welcome to med school a lot of people think foundations class is a waste of time but you learn a lot of valuable info in that class
Welcome to med school? Most med schools don't have yoga class, let alone mandatory attendance. I don't doubt that the class has value, but so do a handful of other classes that don't warrant mandatory attendance, that's all. I guess as long as the whole class isn't yoga, I'll be good lol.

Welcome to med school? Most med schools don't have yoga class, let alone mandatory attendance. I don't doubt that the class has value, but so do a handful of other classes that don't warrant mandatory attendance, that's all. I guess as long as the whole class isn't yoga, I'll be good lol.
yeah alot of information you learn in medical school might not be board tested but it does not mean that the info presented is not important or that you cant learn something from it. also, lots of schools have mandatory wellness lectures, yeah they can be a pain but there is a reason they want you there so might as well learn something from it

• Okay...
Accepted today off the waitlist! I interviewed and was waitlisted in January.

Here's a systems block schedule. The exam (not shown) was the following Monday. You'll have either 2 weeks then an exam or 3 weeks then an exam. They're mostly 3 weeks then exam for second year.
1617664361689.png

1617664381908.png

Typically you'll have 10-16 lectures a week for the systems courses, 1-2 for OPP, 1-2 for clinical skills and 1-2 for the foundations course. You are not tested on the foundations (green) lectures. Likewise you're only tested on about 2/3rds of the clinical skills lectures (and none of the SIM events). I have no idea what the schedule is like for Anatomy/Molec since they changed those.

The lecturers will often have multiple lectures in sequence like Renal Histology I/II lectures. We get out early for most of these. While the class time is blocked for 50 minutes, I'd say about half our lectures actually use the full time. The shortest one we've had was like 20 minutes. The DSAs vary quite a bit in how long you'll need to study. Some you can get through in 15 minutes, others will take 1-2 hours. Some professors will record a lecture and put it with the DSA, others just give you the powerpoint.

While it looks like a lot on paper, the SIM session for example is only ~1 hour. So if you're assigned to 1-2pm on Wednesday 11/11, that's the only time you'd need to go in. Monday afternoon you'd be free, same with the rest of Wednesday.

The DSA for that MedActiv case on Thursday also only took about an hour. Stuff for clinical skills and foundations typically take less time than they block them off for.

If you attend lecture and spend about an hour per DSA, all the material+in person events usually only add up to about 20-25 hours on average per week.

If the exam falls on a Friday, they try to make the number of events for that week relatively light, like this block where we only had 5 systems lectures.

1617664623576.png

The two blocks with the highest number of events per week and cumulatively were:
Block #2 of Respiratory: 46 Respiratory events, 6 OPP events and 5 clinical skills events.
Block #2 of Endocrine/Repro: 46 Endo/Repro events and 5 clinical skills events.
We had a little under 3 weeks for both. I don't know about the rest of the class but everyone in my friend group were pretty burnt out after both of those.

The yoga lecture iirc was kind of just a how to self care thing. Our class asked about changing them but apparently it's a requirement the school has to meet in order to give out degrees. If it helps there's a lot more directly board relevant materials taught in foundations second year like biostats, study design and ethics.

Congrats! Did you get a phone call or email?
Email around 10:00am CST, then my portal changed a few hours later, then I got the email with the deposit info around 3:00pm. I did not receive a phone call.

Email around 10:00am CST, then my portal changed a few hours later, then I got the email with the deposit info around 3:00pm. I did not receive a phone call.
Congrats!

Interviewed 3/26
Waitlisted 4/1
Accepted 4/5

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone ever share 2021 Match Data?

I see their official site still doesn't list it, but maybe someone here had the inside scoop.
Here's part of it:

Anesthesiology
Baylor - Houston, TX
Mayo Clinic - Rochester, MN
Univ. of Kentucky - Lexington, KY
Univ. of Florida - Jacksonville, FL
Ochsner Clinic - New Orleans, LA
UAMS - Little Rock, AR

Diagnostic Radiology
LSU - New Orleans, LA

Emergency Medicine
FSU - Sarasota, FL
Henry Ford Allegiance - Jackson, MI
Kendall Regional - Miami, FL
Naval Medical Center - Portsmouth, VA
OakHill Hospital - Brooksville, FL
Orange Park Medical Center - Orange Park, FL
Rutgers Community Health - Toms River, NJ x2
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, TX
Univ. of Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN
Univ. of Mississippi - Jackson, MS
USF - Brandon, FL x2

Family Medicine
Baptist Health Outreach - Montgomery, AL
Baylor Scott & White - Round Rock, TX
Columbia - New York, NY
Conway Medical Center - Conway, SC
Sea Mar - Marysville, WA
St. Louis Univ. - St. Louis, MO
Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, WI
Waco Family Medicine - Waco, TX
Wright Center for GME - Auburn, WA

General Surgery
Carle Foundation - Urbana-Champaign, IL
Sinai - Baltimore, MD
Zucker Northwell - Queens, NY

Internal Medicine
Beaumont - Royal Oak, MI x2
Brookwood Baptist - Birmingham, AL x2
Cleveland Clinic - Cleveland, OH
EAMC - Auburn, AL
EVMS - Norfolk, VA
Loyola Univ. Medical Center - Chicago, IL
LSU - Lafayette, LA
Mercy Health - Muskegon, MI
MSU - Lansing, Michigan x2
Naval Medical Center - Portsmouth, VA x2
Parkview Medical Center — Pueblo, CO
Southeast Health - Dothan, AL
Summa Health - Akron, OH
Univ. of Buffalo - Buffalo, NY
Univ. of Florida - Gainsville, FL
Univ. of Kentucky - Bowling Green, KY
Univ. of Miami - Jackson, FL
Univ. of Mississippi - Oxford, MS
Univ. of South Alabama - Mobile, AL
Univ. of Texas San Antonio - San Antonio, TX
UPMC Mercy- Pittsburgh, PA
USF - Tampa, FL
Yale/Greenwich - Greenwich, CT
TAMC - Honolulu, HI
Thomas Hospital - Fairhope, AL

Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine
Jefferson Northeast - Philadelphia, PA

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
Univ. of Tennessee - Memphis, TN

Neurology
Baylor - Houston, TX

OB/GYN
Univ. of Michigan Metro- Grand Rapids, MI
Univ. of Tennessee - Chattanooga, TN
Univ. of Tennessee - Nashville, TN

Orthopedic Surgery
Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills, MI
WellSpan York Hospital - York, PA

Pathology
UAB - Birmingham, AL
UAMS - Little Rock, AR

Pediatrics
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital - Hollywood, FL
LSU - New Orleans, LA
Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, WI
Nicklaus Children's - Miami, FL
Southern Illinois Univ. - Springfield, IL
St. Christopher Hospital for Children - Philadelphia, PA
Univ. of Connecticut - Farmington, CT
Univ. of Illinois - Peoria, IL
Univ. of Florida - Orlando, FL
USF - Tampa, FL x2
Washington Univ. in St. Louis - St. Louis, MO

Psychiatry
UNLV - Las Vegas, NV
Tulane Univ. - New Orleans, LA

Here's part of it:

Anesthesiology
Baylor - Houston, TX
Mayo Clinic - Rochester, MN
Univ. of Kentucky - Lexington, KY
Ochsner Clinic - New Orleans, LA
UAMS - Little Rock, AR

Diagnostic Radiology
LSU - New Orleans, LA

Emergency Medicine
FSU - Sarasota, FL
Henry Ford Allegiance - Jackson, MI
Kendall Regional - Miami, FL
Naval Medical Center - Portsmouth, VA
Orange Park Medical Center - Orange Park, FL
Rutgers Community Health - Toms River, NJ x2
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, TX
Univ. of Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN
Univ. of Mississippi - Jackson, MS
USF - Brandon, FL x2

Family Medicine
Baptist Health Outreach - Montgomery, AL
Baylor Scott & White - Round Rock, TX
Columbia - New York, NY
Conway Medical Center - Conway, SC
Sea Mar - Marysville, WA
St. Louis Univ. - St. Louis, MO
Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, WI
Waco Family Medicine - Waco, TX
Wright Center for GME - Auburn, WA

General Surgery
Carle Foundation - Urbana-Champaign, IL
Sinai - Baltimore, MD
Zucker Northwell - Queens, NY

Internal Medicine
Beaumont - Royal Oak, MI x2
Brookwood Baptist - Birmingham, AL x2
Cleveland Clinic - Cleveland, OH
EAMC - Auburn, AL
EVMS - Norfolk, VA
Loyola Univ. Medical Center - Chicago, IL
LSU - Lafayette, LA
Mercy Health - Muskegon, MI
MSU - Lansing, Michigan x2
Naval Medical Center - Portsmouth, VA x2
Parkview Medical Center — Pueblo, CO
Southeast Health - Dothan, AL
Summa Health - Akron, OH
Univ. of Buffalo - Buffalo, NY
Univ. of Florida - Gainsville, FL
Univ. of Kentucky - Bowling Green, KY
Univ. of Miami - Jackson, FL
Univ. of Mississippi - Oxford, MS
Univ. of South Alabama - Mobile, AL
Univ. of Texas San Antonio - San Antonio, TX
UPMC Mercy- Pittsburgh, PA
USF - Tampa, FL
Yale/Greenwich - Greenwich, CT
TAMC - Honolulu, HI
Thomas Hospital - Fairhope, AL

Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine
Jefferson Northeast - Philadelphia, PA

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics

Neurology
Baylor - Houston, TX

OB/GYN
Univ. of Michigan Metro- Grand Rapids, MI
Univ. of Tennessee - Chattanooga, TN
Univ. of Tennessee - Nashville, TN

Orthopedic Surgery
Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills, MI
WellSpan York Hospital - York, PA

Pathology
UAB - Birmingham, AL
UAMS - Little Rock, AR

Pediatrics
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital - Hollywood, FL
LSU - New Orleans, LA
Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, WI
Nicklaus Children's - Miami, FL
Southern Illinois Univ. - Springfield, IL
St. Christopher Hospital for Children - Philadelphia, PA
Univ. of Connecticut - Farmington, CT
Univ. of Illinois - Peoria, IL
Univ. of Florida - Orlando, FL
USF - Tampa, FL x2
Washington Univ. in St. Louis - St. Louis, MO

Psychiatry
UNLV - Las Vegas, NV
Tulane Univ. - New Orleans, LA
Wow, this is fantastic. I'm comparing this DO program to some of the MD programs near me and this is about on par. Way to go ACOM. And thank you for sharing BoneWizard, you always come through.

Wow, this is fantastic. I'm comparing this DO program to some of the MD programs near me and this is about on par. Way to go ACOM. And thank you for sharing BoneWizard, you always come through.
it's alright for DO but I wouldn't compare it to an MD school

Got accepted to ACOM!!!

Interview: 1.15.21
WL: 1.22.21
Accepted: 4.3.21

Reactions: 5 users
it's alright for DO but I wouldn't compare it to an MD school
Well I mean sure, the locations of these residencies might be mostly in the deep south, but after 3-5 years these people will be attendings and they can move to wherever they want, right?

congrats on the A! if you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?
cGPA: 3.34, sGPA: 3.1, OOS
MCAT: 125/124/129/128
600 hrs + of research
500 hrs + clinical volunteering
40 hours of shadowing
100 hrs of comm service
1000 hrs + scribing (ER and internal medicine)
held leadership positions in 3 uni organizations (started one on my own)
2 semesters TA

Last edited:
got accepted to ACOM (off the waitlist) as well this Monday! :)
Interviewed early march

Reactions: 8 users
For any of you current students, what does ACOM provide students in terms of study resources. I thought they mentioned things like UWorld subscription and possibly some other resources during my interview day. I was wondering if any of you could give some more details on that? Thanks!

For any of you current students, what does ACOM provide students in terms of study resources. I thought they mentioned things like UWorld subscription and possibly some other resources during my interview day. I was wondering if any of you could give some more details on that? Thanks!
Uworld and COMBANK are the two big 3rd party resources if that's what you meant. They also have lots of research data banks they pay for. Also Pathoma which is big pathology database for boards

Uworld and COMBANK are the two big 3rd party resources if that's what you meant. They also have lots of research data banks they pay for. Also Pathoma which is big pathology database for boards
Awesome, thanks! Yes that was what I meant. How long is the UWorld subscription for? Is it throughout 1st and 2nd year for step 1 and then throughout 3rd year for step 2 or do they just cover a few months or so before those complex/usmle exams?

Can any current students message me. I would like to ask someone a few questions about their experience and any advice. I love this school and need to make a final decision on a DO acceptance.