2018-2019 Florida State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Prompts:

Please limit your answers to 500 words per question. 7 records updated!

Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

Miscellaneous
Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.

Parents
For both mother and father, give the following:

• Where they were raised
  • 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
  • Traits you get from him/her
  • Your rapport with him/her
  • His/her hobbies or interests
Siblings
Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.

Practice Vision
In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

ACT/SAT Scores (if any)
Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.

Please limit your answers to 500 words per question.

Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I think it was on 7/11 so hopefully, soon we receive the secondary!

Got the secondary about an hour ago. They make you pay and then wait 24 hours before you have access.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 on receiving my secondary today. Good luck everyone! If anyone has questions about FSU as a whole or the Tallahassee area, I went here for undergrad and still live in the area so feel free to ask me!

Prompts:

Please limit your answers to 500 words per question. 7 records updated!
Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)
Miscellaneous

Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.
Parents

For both mother and father, give the following:
  • Where they were raised
  • 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
  • Traits you get from him/her
  • Your rapport with him/her
  • His/her hobbies or interests
Siblings
Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.
Practice Vision

In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?
ACT/SAT Scores (if any)

Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.
Please limit your answers to 500 words per question.
Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

Reactions: 1 user
For the travel question do you think they would only want us to mention study abroad/service trips/internships abroad? Or do you think leisure too? (definitely less significant, but still learned from these experiences)

Just submitted. Hoping for some instate love :D

Just got an email saying my application is complete and under review. They said that "Decisions are based on the strength of the application, not the date in which the application is received."

Just got an email saying my application is complete and under review. They said that "Decisions are based on the strength of the application, not the date in which the application is received."
When did you submit the secondary?

For the travel question do you think they would only want us to mention study abroad/service trips/internships abroad? Or do you think leisure too? (definitely less significant, but still learned from these experiences)

I talked about all of my travel experiences, including traveling for leisure.

How are you guys approaching this prompt? Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.
Isn't this just a combination of "Why medicine?" and "What makes you think you'll make a good doctor?"

I'm wondering of one must include an explanation of any grade dips in this essay. :unsure:

Anyone know an easy way to get SAT scores? I don’t remember and I’m pretty sure that stuff was electronically sent. I think it’ll coast $30 and weeks of waiting for it to be mailed

Anyone know an easy way to get SAT scores? I don’t remember and I’m pretty sure that stuff was electronically sent. I think it’ll coast $30 and weeks of waiting for it to be mailed

It seems like it requires I know my test registration number or other information I don't still have. Did you have to give similar information? It doesn't just show up for me.

Edit. I figured it out. I had 2 collegeboard accounts for some reason and I tried to look at AP scores and it sent me the username of the right account

Last edited:
Why on God's BEAUTIFUL earth would they ever give a damn about SAT scores? Especially given that they are so biased towards wealthier students.

Anyone know why they look at that? Isn't the MCAT more important?

Why on God's BEAUTIFUL earth would they ever give a damn about SAT scores? Especially given that they are so biased towards wealthier students.

Anyone know why they look at that? Isn't the MCAT more important?
Think it's related to the longitudinal studies they mentioned in the request for your consent. Probably looking for correlations. It's for their data use.

Reactions: 1 users
do you know what it is? I think she got like a 503

According to MSAR if I remember correctly, their average acceptance MCAT is 505*? So I don’t think a 503 would be screened out. Despite the low MCAT average, I know people with 4.0s and 512s that don’t get accepted because FSU cares a lot about an applicant fitting their mission and the applicant’s goals/etc.

*in my initial post I accidentally put 499 (10th percentile) instead of 505. Sorry!!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to MSAR if I remember correctly, their average acceptance MCAT is 499? So I don’t think a 503 would be screened out. Despite the low MCAT average, I know people with 4.0s and 512s that don’t get accepted because FSU cares a lot about an applicant fitting their mission and the applicant’s goals/etc.
Median is 505.
Ranging from 499-513 (10-90 percentile).

3.71 sGPA
3.77 GPA

Also this school is basically in state only.
Only 2 out of 3211 OOS applicants were accepted

Median is 505.
Ranging from 499-513 (10-90 percentile).

3.71 sGPA
3.77 GPA

Also this school is basically in state only.
Only 2 out of 3211 OOS applicants were accepted

I'm applying as an OOS, but I went to a Florida undergrad. I have other solid ties to Florida too. Do you think it is likely I would be screened out?

Decided to apply here after some contemplation, but my MCAT is apparently above their 90th percentile. Will this be a problem? I'm a FL resident.

Decided to apply here after some contemplation, but my MCAT is apparently above their 90th percentile. Will this be a problem? I'm a FL resident.
I went here for undergrad, also have the same situation with the MCAT percentile. From my understanding listening to advisors and administrators and whatnot, they like FSU students (just started a bunch of new pre-health programs that weren't around when I was a freshman) and those who fit their mission (serving rural/urban/underserved/elderly). I think if you get across in your secondary that you would be a good fit there and truly want to attend, you'll be fine. Just be warned though, they start very early--I think right at the beginning of June.

Edit: I'll also add that I don't even really think they care about the MCAT that much, compared to other FL schools (cough cough USF). I think anything above a 500, and they'll give you a serious look.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm applying as an OOS, but I went to a Florida undergrad. I have other solid ties to Florida too. Do you think it is likely I would be screened out?
I would say you should get the secondary and would have a chance since you went to Florida for undergrad. But then again that's just speculation.

Secondary submitted yesterday! Excited to see what happens with this school!

One of the things they consider most is if the person wants to STAY and be a physician in Florida after medical school so if that's what you want, then I'd give it a shot. They also focus a lot on primary care and rural/underserved areas of Florida.

My primary verified on July 23rd and I haven't received a secondary yet? This might sounds really paranoid but is this normal? Been receiving a bunch of secondaries from other schools already...

I honestly do not travel often. The last times I traveled were 6 and 7 years ago when I went to visit family in Mexico and then drove to Chicago to spend time with family for Christmas.

You guys think this would suffice?

I honestly do not travel often. The last times I traveled were 6 and 7 years ago when I went to visit family in Mexico and then drove to Chicago to spend time with family for Christmas.

You guys think this would suffice?

I don't see that being a problem, I wrote about travel from about 10 years ago and some recent travel as well.

Current student happy to answer questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see that being a problem, I wrote about travel from about 10 years ago and some recent travel as well.
Utilize these obscure questions on the secondary as an opportunity for the ADCOM to get insight into you personally. If you don't have travel experience or a crazy family experience, that's fine. Put down what you can.