2018-2019 Wright State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was also walisted then received a rejection email today. Wasn’t expecting something to change just a week later.

Apparently they ranked the waitlist last night, and they cut it off at a certain point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna take my DO acceptance and run. Best of luck to you all :)

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently they ranked the waitlist last night, and they cut it off at a certain point.

That’s surprising based on the speculation that schools are keeping longer WLs this year due to the new traffic rules.

Either way, you’re gonna be a doctor!! That’s what matters. Congrats!!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlist email just now, top third. I wonder if there will be much movement this year though since they said all 120 students have confirmed their acceptance offer :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like last year they got to the bottom third. So hopefully that happens again!

Reactions: 2 users
Does accepted and confirmed mean they will be attending? Or can applicants hold multiple acceptances at a time?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn’t get an email about second look, don’t RSVP. I RSVP’d thinking I was invited as an accepted student but then they called and said it’s by invitation only because of the small venue.

If you didn’t get an email about second look, don’t RSVP. I RSVP’d thinking I was invited as an accepted student but then they called and said it’s by invitation only because of the small venue.

Wow, that's strange. I wonder how they are deciding who to invite. They can't see if we have other acceptances yet. Random.

Didn’t they say that top 3rd will get an offer and the majority of middle 3rd generally? Or am I just making things up? I thought they said that at the interview and said that they dip into the top bottom 3rd most years

Waitlist status: top third... FWIW I also received an email a few hours before that stating "...you received a strong rating from the committee and we expect you will be very high on our alternate list...".

Didn’t they say that top 3rd will get an offer and the majority of middle 3rd generally? Or am I just making things up? I thought they said that at the interview and said that they dip into the top bottom 3rd most years
I don't recall any mention of that during my interview, however threads from previous cycles show that to be the case

Also got an email saying they would cover my two night stay. Not sure if this is for URM/SES students cause that’s what the email said. Anyways haven’t gotten any info on booking the rooms, just the general survey I filled out that was attached with my name and that I’m attending

Also not sure if second look is for students with multiple acceptances? Although not sure how they would know that. I do have a couple other acceptances.

Also not sure if second look is for students with multiple acceptances? Although not sure how they would know that. I do have a couple other acceptances.
I only have one acceptance and was invited to second look. The email mentioned including underrepresented and those who grew up in underserved areas.

I only have one acceptance and was invited to second look. The email mentioned including underrepresented and those who grew up in underserved areas.

Then yeah cause I don’t think their paying for everyone’s second look.

But if you’re going I’d love to get exchange info with you or anyone else interested in meeting up. I’m going up by myself but there will be a lot of down time and I’d love to catch a drink and meet up with potential classmates.

Has anyone looked into which school supplies we will need for the start of school? I’m wondering if we will need to buy scrubs, a stethoscope, etc. in advance or if it will be provided? Also, since the curriculum isn’t centered around lectures and is more team-based learning, I wonder which tools current students prefer for class and studying. Can anyone provide more feedback on this? Thanks!

Waitlist email just now, top third. I wonder if there will be much movement this year though since they said all 120 students have confirmed their acceptance offer :shrug:
Does accepted and confirmed mean they will be attending? Or can applicants hold multiple acceptances at a time?

I would think that those 120 students include people who are holding multiple acceptances and/or people who are waitlisted at other schools but accepted at Wright State.

I would think that those 120 students include people who are holding multiple acceptances and/or people who are waitlisted at other schools but accepted at Wright State.

Yes they do. Cause I hold 3 acceptances and 1 waitlists right now.

So in the waitlist email they mentioned not knowing how many spots would be available after May 1st. Is it a requirement to commit to one school after May 1st or just a recommendation? I’ve seen people say both so I’m confused.

So in the waitlist email they mentioned not knowing how many spots would be available after May 1st. Is it a requirement to commit to one school after May 1st or just a recommendation? I’ve seen people say both so I’m confused.

Recommendation by AAMC, unless otherwise stated by the specific school. Although you should reject all but a single acceptance on or before 4/30, you are not required to commit. If you do commit, you will need to reject your WLs as well at that time.

More info:

https://students-residents.aamc.org...icle/amcas-choosing-your-medical-school-tool/

2018-2019 "Commit to Enroll" Deadlines

Last edited:

I called AAMC about this a little while ago and they said that while you don’t have to COMMIT to one school by April 30th, you do have to “Plan to Enroll” to only one school by April 30. Meaning you have to withdraw your acceptances from all but one school if you’re holding more than one acceptance at the moment. I’m not sure how they’ll keep track of this, but the person I talked to said it’s a requirement.

I called AAMC about this a little while ago and they said that while you don’t have to COMMIT to one school by April 30th, you do have to “Plan to Enroll” to only one school by April 30. Meaning you have to withdraw your acceptances from all but one school if you’re holding more than one acceptance at the moment. I’m not sure how they’ll keep track of this, but the person I talked to said it’s a requirement.
Yeah you can only hold 1 acceptance by April 30th but don’t have to Commit To Enroll because that withdraws you from all WL. You only need to Commit by a date set by your accepted school (3 weeks before classes start)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone looked into which school supplies we will need for the start of school? I’m wondering if we will need to buy scrubs, a stethoscope, etc. in advance or if it will be provided? Also, since the curriculum isn’t centered around lectures and is more team-based learning, I wonder which tools current students prefer for class and studying. Can anyone provide more feedback on this? Thanks!

You will receive a stethoscope at White Coat ceremony, and you will receive your clicker for class during orientation. Paper is provided during PI. Scrubs are needed when dissecting during anatomy, which will not be until November/December. There are some old scrubs provided but I would suggest buying your own pair. You don't really wear them much so you can just get a cheap pair.
There will be a medical equipment sale sometime during the first couple months to buy instruments (ophthalmoscope/otoscope, reflex hammer, etc).
Basically all you need is pens and notebooks based on how you prefer to take notes (paper vs computer). For actual class, all you need is a pen and your clicker (paper is provided by the school).
Books are personal preference - most are provided online through the university library, but if you prefer a paper copy you will have to buy. Happy to answer any other questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah you can only hold 1 acceptance by April 30th but don’t have to Commit To Enroll because that withdraws you from all WL. You only need to Commit by a date set by your accepted school (3 weeks before classes start)

For the sake of clarity, commiting to enroll doesn’t withdraw your applications. You still have to do that yourself with each individual school. Not all schools have commit to enroll dates, but some do and they aren’t always exactly 3 weeks prior to orientation.

Got a call yesterday from their office saying that they will be sending out more information soon on the lodging for second look. That was very thoughtful of them to call on a Sunday.

So did they already send out second look invitations? I don't understand why I wasn't invited lol I have been accepted since 10/10.

You think that would want everyone to see their school again before they make their decisions.

Does anyone know when we should expect WL movement this year? I wasn't expecting to know what tier I was in until May, and then they sent it out last week. Wondering if that means they'll start moving through the WL pretty soon. Or if they just ranked it when the ranked and will wait to go through alternates until later in April.

So did they already send out second look invitations? I don't understand why I wasn't invited lol I have been accepted since 10/10.

You think that would want everyone to see their school again before they make their decisions.
I reached out a while ago and the response I got was that "second look is hosted by our Diversity and Inclusion office and is open to underrepresented in medicine applicants." So if you don't fall into that category there is no official second look.

Question for current students: How do you recommend preparing for the start of school? Are there any items you recommend buying beforehand or any material that we could look over which could be useful for the transition into med school? Thanks for all the helpful feedback!!

You guys I didn't realize there is an outlook calendar in the WINGS express where you can see any notifications they sent you. I haven't heard back from financial aid, but I did receive a scholarship offer that was in my inbox. So please check guys if you haven't. My deadline to accept is this Friday.

You guys I didn't realize there is an outlook calendar in the WINGS express where you can see any notifications they sent you. I haven't heard back from financial aid, but I did receive a scholarship offer that was in my inbox. So please check guys if you haven't. My deadline to accept is this Friday.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the scholarship?

Could you please walk through how you found this notification? I am having trouble finding the outlook calendar on Wings.

So go to the wings.wright portal. At the top where you click wings express next to it there’s a mail icon. Think it even says outlook. Click on that. It will take you to an outlook mailbox.

So go to the wings.wright portal. At the top where you click wings express next to it there’s a mail icon. Think it even says outlook. Click on that. It will take you to an outlook mailbox.

Yup, and after you get to the inbox @docmeow4 the calendar icon can be seen on the bottom left if you want view the calendar. But any correspondence should be in your inbox.

Yup, and after you get to the inbox @docmeow4 the calendar icon can be seen on the bottom left if you want view the calendar. But any correspondence should be in your inbox.
I still have to sift through all the emails when I get home. Yeah I saw the letter in there. Hence I thought maybe I’m not the only one that just figured this out haha