2018-2019 University of Massachussetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They aren't going to say anything useful. I wouldn't bother calling. I did months ago and they said no decision means nothing has been decided yet
I see. Guess we just have to continue sitting in this limbo

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there will be some major WL movement at some very good state schools like UMASS. A lot of T10-T20 schools are releasing their acceptances en masse this week and next.

There are a good number of top students wisely holding acceptances from their state schools, but who might get acceptances at BMS and SBMS, etc (that is best medical school and second best medical school) and if the money works for them, they will likely give up these state school spots pretty quickly! Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Baylor all about to drop! Vanderbilt second and final wave today...

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been accepted recently? Or heard back at all? I have heard that UMass is notorious for being on the later side of things decision wise but it's been months since people interviewed. It would be so nice to just know and hear back soon.

Reactions: 3 users
I hear ya. Interviewed in early September and radio silence since the under active consideration email in October :sleep:

Reactions: 1 users
People who have been accepted, please share and assist us in our time of misery and anxiety. Xx thank you

Truly addicted to being left on read for months

Accepted this morning! LM 75ish, IS, 2 gap years. Interviewed mid jan, waitlisted early feb.

Congrats guys!! Did the green checkmark show up in your portal?

When UMass starts accepting people from the waitlist but hasn't bothered to update you since your interview 7 months ago

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys!! Did the green checkmark show up in your portal?
yup

Congrats to both of you! Could you please clarify if you were waitlisted or received the UC email?
Was offered a spot on the waitlist 2 weeks after interview, then received admission offer 1 month later. Never "under consideration", and no post interview updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted on 03/01. Interviewed on 02/01. Received under consideration email on 02/15. In-state. Non-trad: non-science BA (3.44), non-science master's (4.0), post-bacc (3.97), several years of professional clinical experience, 99th percentile MCAT.

Has anyone had any luck with updates or letters of intent? Also did anyone receive a confirmation that their updates were received by the adcom?

Has anyone had any luck with updates or letters of intent? Also did anyone receive a confirmation that their updates were received by the adcom?

I sent an update in a couple days after my interview. Did not receive a confirmation. Was accepted but not sure if my letter had any influence.

People who have been accepted, please share and assist us in our time of misery and anxiety. Xx thank you
Hello Pyramids2,
I was accepted in January after interviewing in September. If you have specific questions, I can attempt to answer them. If you would like to share your stats, either here or message me, I can try to give you some feedback. It is a little trickier this year to be certain about things, because the admissions process went through new rule changes for this cycle, but I will do my best.

I sent both an update and a letter of interest via the portal- didn't receive a response for either. I'd say damn the torpedoes and send an LOI if you have your heart set on UMass.

Got the W today. interviewed early Dec. CC email end of Dec. withdrawing.

Got the W today. interviewed early Dec. CC email end of Dec. withdrawing.

+1, interviewed < 2 weeks ago. Seems like their class might be filled and they'll start pulling from the WL as applicants withdraw.

Edit: No under consideration email.

Last edited:
Interviewed mid-Jan and still haven't heard anything o_O

Does anyone have any idea how they determine who to accept next from the waitlist if the waitlist isn't ranked?

Interviewed mid/late october and still have't heard anything since an "under consideration" e-mail early November. At this point a W would be less painful than waiting without any contact for 4+ months.

If you interviewed, got the under consideration email and haven't heard back, is all hope lost? Or is there a real chance of people actually being accepted still? It seems like most of you think the class is full and there is only waitlist movement now?

Well, that's just depressing. Haha. Thank you for reply though.

I can’t imagine they are done giving acceptances. I’ve seen barely any acceptances in 2019 on here, and the Facebook group has only ~200 people. I think they will accept closer to 300 for a ~50% matriculation rate. And I doubt all 100 more people will come from the already established waitlist. Plus they are still interviewing, right?

Also, they probably keep considering waitlisted people against new people in each meeting, so as to see how they stack up against the others. That’s probably why people are getting off the waitlist before some others have heard back at all.

I'm starting to think I'm going crazy or maybe I'm the only optimistic person on this thread but at my interview for PURCH in september they specifically told us not to expect to hear back until march because that's when they make a majority of their decisions(at least for PURCH). I would have called b.s on that by now but it seems that the few that have posted about being accepted to purch are relatively high stat applicants and their decisions were made earlier. I'm sure its not "over"

Any 12/19 interviewers waiting to hear back still? Or rather, has anyone from this date heard back yet?

Last edited:
Feeling like I left them speechless after my 11/15 interview

Reactions: 5 users
Rejection yesterday 3/11. Interviewed 1/18. Put on active consideration 2/8. Good luck to everyone while I cry to myself.

Interviewed early Dec. CC email end of Dec. Waitlist 4 days ago. Sent withdrawal email day of.

then ACCEPTED with Chancellor's scholarship today! Am I being trolled? :eyebrow:

For anyone who has been accepted, are you planning on attending UMMS?

For anyone who has been accepted, are you planning on attending UMMS?

Depends on my SO. We're trying to go to med school together. I really like UMass; I just wish they hadn't denied me instate tuition after living in MA for almost a decade :(

Feeling like I left them speechless after my 11/15 interview

Jokes aside - what could this possibly mean if they've been rejecting and waitlisting people this whole time? I want to send in an LOI but I've already updated them on all my activities.

Jokes aside - what could this possibly mean if they've been rejecting and waitlisting people this whole time? I want to send in an LOI but I've already updated them on all my activities.

Based on my experience on the last cycle (n = 1 so don't read too much into this), I was interviewed in September and didn't hear anything until I was rejected in April. Meanwhile, there were folks who interviewed around the same time as me and were accepted in April after not hearing anything for several months.

Moral of the story is - the fact that you haven't heard anything probably means your file gets routinely reviewed but the adcom hasn't decided whether to accept, waitlist, or reject you. Unfortunately, there's very little else you can deduce from the silence.

Im so confused how they do things here. How are people being accepted from the Waitlist when some of us haven’t even heard anything since interview? I interviewed late Jan and have only received the under consideration email... worried this is a rejection :(

Im so confused how they do things here. How are people being accepted from the Waitlist when some of us haven’t even heard anything since interview? I interviewed late Jan and have only received the under consideration email... worried this is a rejection :(
It looks like only a few acceptances have recently gone out (like maybe a handful?) and I’m assuming just as many rejections have recently gone out (people don’t post those nearly as much, I’m sure) so I still think there is still a decent amount of hope for those of us in silence

It looks like only a few acceptances have recently gone out (like maybe a handful?) and I’m assuming just as many rejections have recently gone out (people don’t post those nearly as much, I’m sure) so I still think there is still a decent amount of hope for those of us in silence
Beginning to lose hope at this point...
Anyone who applied to PURCH hear back?

Beginning to lose hope at this point...
Anyone who applied to PURCH hear back?

I had an interview at another school in january and there were 2 other students in my group that interviewed for purch in the fall who hadn't heard back yet either

Does anyone know when the committee meets?