2018-2019 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were you in Medical Humanities program? the MD/BA program? I heard they got theirs first
No I’ve actually never heard of Medical Humanities. I’m not a smart person so if I got in you guys all have a great shot

Hi all! I got my acceptance email yesterday morning (via Medical Humanities), and wanted to let y'all know that I'm fixing to decline the acceptance because I got into a school elsewhere that I'm planning to go to. So that should free an extra spot :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! complete 9/11, IS, reapplicant, 506 MCAT, 3.66 cumulative 3.43 science gpa. Only two dates in January and one in February available when I scheduled the interview. Was getting nervous since it's about 3 weeks later than when I got the invite last year.

II today. IS, first time applicant, 502 MCAT, 3.78 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone discuss what type of questions were asked in the interviews? (unless there was a non disclosure signed of course)

Can anyone discuss what type of questions were asked in the interviews? (unless there was a non disclosure signed of course)

The interview is based on the core competencies that are listed on the AAMC website. You can look those up and try to practice scenarios that would cater to each one listed. They ask questions based on experiences that you may have had and how you handled them. For example, describe a time when you worked with a team and how you overcame a conflict within that team.

They are situational, so they all start with “Tell me about a time when....” and then follow up questions about things you talk about. I would suggest the best prep you can do is really know yourself and your experiences. The second half is much more relaxed where they just get to know you.

516 MCAT, IS, 3.9 GPA first time applicant, interviewed oct 29 and still haven't heard anything.... I'm getting nervous. Has anyone heard anything?

Reactions: 1 user
516 MCAT, IS, 3.9 GPA first time applicant, interviewed oct 29 and still haven't heard anything.... I'm getting nervous. Has anyone heard anything?
Similar stats as well
i think either this week or the next week at the latest

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar stats as well
i think either this week or the next week at the latest
Today is 2 weeks after first acceptances went out so it should be the deadline for them to accept their acceptances or whatever
Hoping for today or tomorrow

R, post secondary, no II. MCAT 513, gpa 3.5
Moving on to the next stressor

Accepted today!

LizzyM 72. Technically out-of-state (TX resident bc colleged there and mom moved a couple years ago), but have about as strong of OK ties as possible. There from birth to high school. Dad still lives there. Both parents did residency at OU. Was real involved with Okc City Govt in high school and plan on moving back (regardless where I go) after medical training.

Accepted today, OOS technically but I went to high school and college in OK. LizzyM 74, interviewed 10/29

Accepted today!

LizzyM 72. Technically out-of-state (TX resident bc colleged there and mom moved a couple years ago), but have about as strong of OK ties as possible. There from birth to high school. Dad still lives there. Both parents did residency at OU. Was real involved with Okc City Govt in high school and plan on moving back (regardless where I go) after medical training.
Accepted!!

Sent from my iPhone using
Accepted today, OOS technically but I went to high school and college in OK. LizzyM 74, interviewed 10/29

when did you receive the email?

R pre-II just now, OOS. Looks like they might have gone through OOS today.

Does anyone know if OU Med accepts prerequisites courses from community colleges? For example, I took English both semesters at Oklahoma City Community College and just transferred the credits to OU-Norman. They both are listed as graded courses on my official OU-Norman transcript.

Does anyone know if OU Med accepts prerequisites courses from community colleges? For example, I took English both semesters at Oklahoma City Community College and just transferred the credits to OU-Norman. They both are listed as graded courses on my official OU-Norman transcript.
They accept community college and online courses for prereqs as long as they are the correct course. I have an OCC myself and it was no problem.

For those that have interviewed already, how did your interview go with the heavy emphasis on the core competencies listed by AAMC? How did it go responding to the situational questions (tell me about a time when...)?

For those that have interviewed already, how did your interview go with the heavy emphasis on the core competencies listed by AAMC? How did it go responding to the situational questions (tell me about a time when...)?

I can only speak for my experience, but I really enjoyed it. They asked me questions that allowed me to really talk about myself and my experiences. Follow up questions were asked after each initial question to further evaluate the scenario/what you gained from it. My interviewers were really encouraging and told me to take my time coming up with relevant experiences and lessons I learned, although I know that isn’t a standard based on others’ feedback. As I stated earlier in the thread, if you know yourself and your experiences well then you’ll be well prepared. Some of the experiences I discussed I had not even considered as being a part of my interview but the questions brought them back to mind. Hope that helps — best of luck!

Hey all,

I have an interview on Jan. 6. How long did it take most of you to hear back after your interview? Besides the AAMC core competencies, any advice specific to OU?

Hey all,

I have an interview on Jan. 6. How long did it take most of you to hear back after your interview? Besides the AAMC core competencies, any advice specific to OU?

Most of us heard back middle of December, regardless of interview date I believe. There was a round of acceptances in late November though. I don’t know that they have a set timeline this cycle other than the big dates in December and February for the large accept/defer/reject/waitlist waves.

Definitely go in looking for ways to pair up your own experiences with the competencies. I jotted down a few examples for each competency the week before the interview and that helped me to organize my thoughts a bit. The second half is very fluid depending on your app. They asked me about my personal statement, a couple of my experiences, and some academic stuff. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was accepted Dec 14 to OKC and Tulsa's SCM. Decided to go with Tulsa track. I'm in state with 516 mcat and 3.9 gpa
If anyone else is going Tulsa, contact me! I want to figure out who my classmates are going to be :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted Dec 14 to OKC and Tulsa's SCM. Decided to go with Tulsa track. I'm in state with 516 mcat and 3.9 gpa
If anyone else is going Tulsa, contact me! I want to figure out who my classmates are going to be :)
IS or OOS? and.. Congrats!

Can any accepted students on this thread confirm that there is (or is not) a $1000 deposit fee that you have to pay to keep your spot? How does this work?

Can any accepted students on this thread confirm that there is (or is not) a $1000 deposit fee that you have to pay to keep your spot? How does this work?
I didn’t have to pay any money for the acceptance, I think they said they don’t do that anymore

Accepted today!
IS, Interviewed OKC 11/29 and Tulsa 1/18
Trying to decide between OKC and Tulsa now...

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed for OKC on 1/17. How long does it normally take to hear back? And does anyone know how many people are accepted from interviews (as opposed to the number actually matriculated).
Also, what's the interview weighted vs GPA/MCAT?