2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay E19 folks, do we have summer quarter tuition due? Very confused b/c I have a bill "due", but the amount is $0, but then the graduate school portal states that MD students do have a summer tuition due. I am assuming that is for MS2 & MS3s, but am paranoid about getting a late fee!
you can always call the financial aid office. They are pretty good at picking up the phone & are very patient helping you out.
Can confirm that I did not have anything due before school started for me.

just fyi, you'll be paying >$6000 summer tuition between MS1 & MS2 year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I figured. Are we able to apply for loans for the summer since we are technically in school because it’s a required part of the curriculum?
This is an older post of yours, but something just came into mind.
I believe the research/RUOP experience is no longer required for E19 and beyond. (not required, but optional) Not sure though, I'm sure they'll talk about this during orientation.
The summer tuition you'll be required to pay is for an online research/stats class, not for your research/RUOP experiences. (you'll get loans, as usual)
The school will help with housing (ie. my housing is paid for since I'm in a different state than my foundations phase) (no stipend :( )

This is an older post of yours, but something just came into mind.
I believe the research/RUOP experience is no longer required for E19 and beyond. (not required, but optional) Not sure though, I'm sure they'll talk about this during orientation.
The summer tuition you'll be required to pay is for an online research/stats class, not for your research/RUOP experiences. (you'll get loans, as usual)
The school will help with housing (ie. my housing is paid for since I'm in a different state than my foundations phase) (no stipend :( )

Interesting. The curriculum schematic for E19 has Independent Investigative Inquiry as part of the curriculum for summer 2020 but there are a number of options listed within that so it may be optional. Just curious though, what are you doing that has you out of your foundations phase state? Research project elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. The curriculum schematic for E19 has Independent Investigative Inquiry as part of the curriculum for summer 2020 but there are a number of options listed within that so it may be optional. Just curious though, what are you doing that has you out of your foundations phase state? Research project elsewhere?
yep research

I have a question!! What do students do for housing when they rotate far away for clinicals? Does the school subsidize housing or do you have to pay out of pocket?

I have a question!! What do students do for housing when they rotate far away for clinicals? Does the school subsidize housing or do you have to pay out of pocket?

Pretty sure they take care of your housing. Are you talking like the “safari” for clinical rotations? Or aways in 4th year.

Pretty sure they take care of your housing. Are you talking like the “safari” for clinical rotations? Or aways in 4th year.

No I just mean to other WWAMI states. I’m doing my foundations in Seattle, but I know we have to do a set number of clinical rotation time outside of Seattle, and I was wondering if I’d be responsible for housing at that time

Last edited:
No I just mean to other WWAMI states. I’m doing my foundations in Seattle, but I know we have to do a set number of clinical rotation time outside of Seattle, and I was wondering if I’d be responsible for housing at that time

I'm an MS4, and I recently finished my safari. When you leave Seattle to do required clinical rotations at other WWAMI sites, the school will provide housing and cover the cost of gas or airfare to and from the site. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an MS4, and I recently finished my safari. When you leave Seattle to do required clinical rotations at other WWAMI sites, the school will provide housing and cover the cost of gas or airfare to and from the site. Hope this helps!

How does the safari work? Do you put in a list of places or do they just send you to random sites?

Also, how do you know if you are on a state-based track or safari?
you apply for it. I believe E-17's greater seattle option was like 40-50 students. They also offer other programs like LIC (like WSU's program) @ olympia, WRITE, etc. (I didn't know about the latter options until a few months ago)

Students who have families, taking care of someone, pregnant, etc obviously have a higher chance of being accepted into GSO. But it is definitely possible to do GSO without those responsibilites.

How does the safari work? Do you put in a list of places or do they just send you to random sites?
The E18s have not gotten the survey yet, but yes, I've heard it's a long form you fill out based on your preferences and they try to meet everyone's needs.

Also, how do you know if you are on a state-based track or safari?

At the end of your first year you get to decide if you want to do a state-based track or safari. If you want to do a state-based track, you have to apply to it (you can apply to any of the states, not just your home state). You do not have to apply to do safari.

At the beginning of your second year, the school will send out a list of all the possible locations for each clerkship and will have you rank them in order for where you want to go. The school will take your ranking and everyone else's ranking into consideration and will come up with a third year schedule for you in mid-January. I mostly got rotations that I ranked higher, which was nice, but it can be kind of a gamble.

As far as actually doing safari, the different sites will send you information 2-6 weeks before the start of your clerkship about housing and scheduling. The WWAMI houses are usually close by to the hospital (walkable or a 10-15 minute drive). UW covers the cost of all the housing at the WWAMI locations, but if you do safari, you have to find your own lodging and pay for it while you are in Seattle. If you do one of the state-based tracks you will have to find your own housing and pay for it as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: 3 users
you apply for it. I believe E-17's greater seattle option was like 40-50 students. They also offer other programs like LIC (like WSU's program) @ olympia, WRITE, etc. (I didn't know about the latter options until a few months ago)

Students who have families, taking care of someone, pregnant, etc obviously have a higher chance of being accepted into GSO. But it is definitely possible to do GSO without those responsibilites.

Keep in mind that when I was an MS3, my wife was pregnant and had a job so I applied to do rotations solely in Seattle and I was denied. It sucked dealing with a miscarriage while I was in Wyoming and she was in Seattle. I Did half my rotations away and the other half in Seattle. It isn’t a simple thing to accomplish and people should realize it ahead of time.

Keep in mind that when I was an MS3, my wife was pregnant and had a job so I applied to do rotations solely in Seattle and I was denied. It sucked dealing with a miscarriage while I was in Wyoming and she was in Seattle. I Did half my rotations away and the other half in Seattle. It isn’t a simple thing to accomplish and people should realize it ahead of time.

Were you a Seattle UW student? Also, does it matter where you do your M3 rotations if you’re going into something competitive?

Were you a Seattle UW student? Also, does it matter where you do your M3 rotations if you’re going into something competitive?

Yes, I was a Seattle student from the beginning. It doesn’t matter where you do your rotations even if you are going into something competitive. Normally your chosen specialty will be done in Seattle. You will also probably do away rotations if you are trying to do something competitive.