2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was marked complete last week and just received an email that said "we invite you to take the next step forward in your application process please check your portal..." lol all i had to do was update my prerequisite courses.....:/ really thought i had an interview LOL
Same thing here! I was working and got the email and couldn't get to the portal fast enough, oh well prereq submissions it is

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Same thing here! I was working and got the email and couldn't get to the portal fast enough, oh well prereq submissions it is
why they gonna do us like that lol. They could've just reworded the email saying like please update your portal smh

It not only depends on the specialty but also on the command as well. So you really have to ask specific people for their experiences.

For EM basically all the attendings moonlight because they need to keep up their trauma skills plus the extra cash is nice. No real reason to moonlight as Fam Med because skills done as military FM is similar to civilian with a skew towards Obstetrics/Gynecology and younger healthy preventive medicine, plus pay is reasonably competitive in this field for FM so there is no financial benefit for moonlighting. As for surgery, again depends on specialty. They might be busy but I also know for a fact every Navy plastic surgeon moonlights to keep their skills up.

Late on this conversation, but I can verify that the same guidance goes for Army EM. I did all my shadowing with them, at two different hospitals, and they were all encouraged to (and all did) moonlight to keep up with trauma skills. Added bonus for the physicians where I am now, they are in rural hospitals and make obscene amounts of extra money.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of a silly question and I'm not sure if anyone will know so I may have to call, but - When I submitted my prereqs I see that my portal now says "Once the courses are completed, you will need to submit an unofficial transcript for courses that your are currently taking. Unofficial transcripts may be mailed to your Admissions Counselor" - all of my prereqs are already completed so, do I still need to mail them my unofficial so they can see what I'm taking this year? or is that only for people who are completing the prereqs this upcoming semester? If I do need to send it, can I email it or does it have to be mailed? thx :)
Are you still taking classes?!?! If you are, once you complete the class and get a grade, download a PDF of your transcript and email it to your specific counselor.

Reactions: 1 user
Why tomorrow? did they come out this early last year?
Came out same time last year and MSAR says the same thing (late july- beginning august). I'm just hoping they keep traditions going.

Oh that's not bad i'm patient.

Yeah, he told us a little while ago that he would start getting IIs out in August for a first round of interviews in early September.

Timelines can always change though. That's definitely something I've learned in the military lol.

Last edited:
Hey all, not sure if anyone might be able to help me on this on here, but is anyone familiar with the process for enlisted National Guardsmen going to USUHS?

I'm trying to get together my conditional release paperwork that will be needed (I presume) in the event of being accepted for them to give me orders. I've already gotten an approval to apply letter from my commander and gave it to the admissions office, but that alone won't release me from the Guard, obviously. My unit is somewhat confused on what to do as the conditional releases are only good for 90 days once approved, so I'm basically just unsure if USUHS is able to issue orders immediately upon being fully accepted or how that process works, since even if it is a relatively quick turn around on the conditional release, it will still only good through early Spring.

I should also note that the contact at HRC that USUHS gives out has already been contacted and was little to no help with my specific case, as the only information they have in their information sheet regards National Guard officers.

Hey all, not sure if anyone might be able to help me on this on here, but is anyone familiar with the process for enlisted National Guardsmen going to USUHS?

I'm trying to get together my conditional release paperwork that will be needed (I presume) in the event of being accepted for them to give me orders. I've already gotten an approval to apply letter from my commander and gave it to the admissions office, but that alone won't release me from the Guard, obviously. My unit is somewhat confused on what to do as the conditional releases are only good for 90 days once approved, so I'm basically just unsure if USUHS is able to issue orders immediately upon being fully accepted or how that process works, since even if it is a relatively quick turn around on the conditional release, it will still only good through early Spring.

I should also note that the contact at HRC that USUHS gives out has already been contacted and was little to no help with my specific case, as the only information they have in their information sheet regards National Guard officers.

I am not entirely sure with National Guard because you also swear an oath to the state as well if I am not mistaken, but as a reservist, all you need is the blessing of your unit's CO in writing to say he/she is willing to release you if accepted. In the Guard, are you able to just up and quit if you want to like you can in the reserves?

Members don't see this ad :)
My heart just started racing for no reason. I was finishing up one of my other secondaries and received an email saying "Greetings from America's Medical School!" and started out with Congratulations. Well it was just a recruitment email from USUHS even though I have already applied. That was a let down lol

Reactions: 5 users
My heart just started racing for no reason. I was finishing up one of my other secondaries and received an email saying "Greetings from America's Medical School!" and started out with Congratulations. Well it was just a recruitment email from USUHS even though I have already applied. That was a let down lol

This is the second time they've played us lol. I thought that until I saw "Marketing" in front of the email. :)

Interview invite earlier this afternoon! Beyond excited! LM >70, submitted 02JUL18. Best of luck to everyone else!

Does anyone know if there are any strict cutoffs and/or if they do holistic application review? I have a low (sub 3.0) uGPA from 5+ years ago but have subsequently completed a post-bacc (3.9 GPA) and am completing an MS (4.0 GPA). Cumulative uGPA is now above a 3.0.

I would love to have a military medical career, but I think the mistakes of my younger years seriously hurt my chances of this happening.

Update:

I did find the following on their website. So I'm curious if anyone knows whether weights are evenly distributed amongst these categories or if there is some kind of bias for a subset of the categories.

The Admissions Committee looks at the "whole" person. The five main factors that determine an applicants eligibility are undergraduate cumulative grade point average (science GPA is carefully weighed), MCAT scores, Letters of Recommendation (LORs), clinical experience, and AMCAS and USU statements.

Last edited:
For those who received interview invites, if you don't mind me asking, when did you receive the email that all your secondary material was complete? If you already posted it earlier in the thread, I apologize for asking again. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are any strict cutoffs and/or if they do holistic application review? I have a low (sub 3.0) uGPA from 5+ years ago but have subsequently completed a post-bacc (3.9 GPA) and am completing an MS (4.0 GPA). Cumulative uGPA is now above a 3.0.

I would love to have a military medical career, but I think the mistakes of my younger years seriously hurt my chances of this happening.

Update:

I did find the following on their website. So I'm curious if anyone knows whether weights are evenly distributed amongst these categories or if there is some kind of bias for a subset of the categories.

It's holistic, but stats are definitely important. If you have stats below their 25 %ile, you can overcome it with an awesome story, great clinical experience, and a really solid demonstration of service orientation.

Edit: They also weigh the last 60 credits far more heavily than anything earlier. If you have a postbacc with a 3.9, they will primarily use that to review your app.

It's holistic, but stats are definitely important. If you have stats below their 25 %ile, you can overcome it with an awesome story, great clinical experience, and a really solid demonstration of service orientation.

Edit: They also weigh the last 60 credits far more heavily than anything earlier. If you have a postbacc with a 3.9, they will primarily use that to review your app.

That's great to hear! I've been working as an EMT doing 9-1-1 calls for a while now and am working on my Advanced EMT cert. I have nearly a decade of various non-medical service projects as well. My post-bacc and graduate coursework have been more than 60 credit hours as well. Plus, I have other things like research, conferences, etc. So your post has given me some more hope! Thank you.

That's great to hear! I've been working as an EMT doing 9-1-1 calls for a while now and am working on my Advanced EMT cert. I have nearly a decade of various non-medical service projects as well. My post-bacc and graduate coursework have been more than 60 credit hours as well. Plus, I have other things like research, conferences, etc. So your post has given me some more hope! Thank you.
What's your MCAT like?

517 (129/130/128/130) taken Jan 2018.

Edit. I wanted to do well on the MCAT, because I know my GPA is by far the weakest part of my application.

I think you have a really good shot. If you haven’t already, make sure you really sell the idea that you understand what a military commitment means and that you’re doing it to serve and not just get school paid for.

II just now! Screaming :soexcited:

II!!!! Absolutely so excited!!! See everyone so far on the 13th! Marked complete 24Jul

Reactions: 4 users
Got an II invite yesterday! Anyone have tips on how to rank military branches?

Got an II invite yesterday! Anyone have tips on how to rank military branches?

I would rank Air Force or Navy first. The Army has more spots but is just a different beast. If you want any specifics on Navy life, let me know. I can also give a little info on AF as my cousin is an active duty AF orthopod.

Edited to not seem like I’m hating on my Army bros and sisters.

Last edited:
I would rank Air Force or Navy first. The Army has more spots but is way more of a **** show. If you want any specifics on Navy life, let me know. I can also give a little info on AF as my cousin is an active duty AF orthopod.

I'm curious about the Army being a **** show. How so? I have been considering the Army.

I'm curious about the Army being a **** show. How so? I have been considering the Army.

It’s all stuff I’ve heard from army docs. I’ve not experienced it first hand. Just a different beast I think from the AF and Navy. I’m used to the Navy so of course I’m biased.

Last edited:
I would rank Air Force or Navy first. The Army has more spots but is way more of a **** show. If you want any specifics on Navy life, let me know. I can also give a little info on AF as my cousin is an active duty AF orthopod.
Lol take it easy there.....

Too early but.....

#goarmybeatnavy

Any idea which branch will give me a better chance of matching a surgical subspecialty like neurosurgery, orthopedics, or ENT? I was considering the Army because I read that there are more residency spots as opposed to the Air Force.

Any idea which branch will give me a better chance of matching a surgical subspecialty like neurosurgery, orthopedics, or ENT? I was considering the Army because I read that there are more residency spots as opposed to the Air Force.
yes, airforce has the least amount of residencies, but they are the easiest to defer to a civilian residency which can be helpful when trying to get spots as competitive as those

yes, airforce has the least amount of residencies, but they are the easiest to defer to a civilian residency which can be helpful when trying to get spots as competitive as those
Thanks, that is really good to know.

Neurosurgery is pretty much impossible from any branch. There is one spot that students from all the branches compete for, and civilian deferred is very uncommon. The Navy has one spot for that this year.

Ortho is always needed in the Navy. ENT fluctuates. You probably have a better chance at getting ENT in the Army, but I don’t know if that’s worth the crap the Army comes with. You might have to do a GMO tour in the Navy or AF, but they don’t penalize you for doing that.

Last edited:
Neurosurgery is pretty much impossible from any branch. There is one spot that students from all the branches compete for, and civilian deferred is very uncommon. The Navy has one spot for that this year.

Ortho is always needed in the Navy. ENT fluctuates. You probably have a better chance at getting ENT in the Army, but I don’t know if that’s worth the crap the Army comes with. You might have to do a GMO tour in the Navy or AF, but they don’t penalize you for doing that like they seem to in the Army (see all the threads where Army docs talk about GMOs getting passed over eternally).

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, are you saying that the Navy has one neurosurgery spot this year and only Navy people can apply?

Does the GMO tour count towards the pay back? I hear they are 2-3 years? Toward the end of the GMO tour can I still apply to a competitive speciality?

Edit: grammar

I know that it's a little early to be thinking this way, but do they provide application feedback if you don't get accepted?

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, are you saying that the Navy has one neurosurgery spot this year and only Navy people can apply?

The military as a whole only provides one spot for neurosurgery. The Navy has an additional slot for civilian deferred.

Does the GMO tour count towards the pay back? I hear they are 2-3 years? Toward the end of the GMO tour can I still apply to a competitive speciality?

Edit: grammar

It counts towards payback. But if you do a residency that is longer than the time you owe, you will owe more time. However, I think neurosurgery might be the only one like that if you go to USUHS (7 year commitment).

II received Monday for 6 Sept! Secondary submitted 2 July, email to fill out pre-reqs came 24 July.

Anyone know if they send the prereq email to everyone? Or just people they're seriously considering for an interview? Seems weird that it wasn't a question in the original secondary, but a separate email sent later.

Anyone know if they send the prereq email to everyone? Or just people they're seriously considering for an interview? Seems weird that it wasn't a question in the original secondary, but a separate email sent later.

edit: just got it today after getting my complete email a few days ago.

Last edited: