2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What I heard from the admission office was not encouraging. Pulled myself out of the wait list. Moving forward. Good luck to those remaining

Basically you gave away your potential spot to someone else. You never know what’s going to happen. Too late now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Giving up my spot after getting into my first choice school. Was accepted off the waitlist 2 weeks ago, so hang in there. Seats will still come open as the days pass. Impossible to say how many, but there will be movement! Stay positive!

Reactions: 4 users
Giving up my spot after getting into my first choice school. Was accepted off the waitlist 2 weeks ago, so hang in there. Seats will still come open as the days pass. Impossible to say how many, but there will be movement! Stay positive!
Bless you! Thank you for letting us know and good luck at your first choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted last October to ARCOM, but was just accepted into my first choice school this morning. Will be giving up my spot as well.
I was accepted last October to ARCOM, but was just accepted into my first choice school this morning. Will be giving up my spot as well.
Bless You!!

Reactions: 1 user
:)
I got waitlisted back in February and they called me on the 22nd to tell me I got accepted. So don't give up, guys.

Anyone having any luck finding housing? In the Facebook group, they've said they've had trouble contacting The Residents.

Reactions: 2 users
That WL movement is slowing down and may only move slower going forward
I just dont understand the reason for dropping off the waitlist
Some hope is better than none

I will be taking myself off of the waitlist due to being accepted to another school. ARCOM looks amazing and I wish everyone the best! There is still hope for the DO WL!

Reactions: 3 users
:)
I got waitlisted back in February and they called me on the 22nd to tell me I got accepted. So don't give up, guys.

Anyone having any luck finding housing? In the Facebook group, they've said they've had trouble contacting The Residents.
For contacting the residents you will probably just have to keep calling. I felt like I was playing phone tag most of the time when I would call lol

For contacting the residents you will probably just have to keep calling. I felt like I was playing phone tag most of the time when I would call lol

Here's a contact for The Residents

RayAnn Boggs
Manager

The Residents- Student Housing
Arkansas Colleges of Health Education
7010 Chad Colley Blvd.
Fort Smith, AR 72916
[email protected]
[email protected]

479.755.6955(w)

Question for y'all. I'm applying this upcoming cycle. For Science Electives, are ONLY
  • Anatomy
  • Physiology
  • Cellular Biology
  • Immunology
  • Microbiology
  • Genetics
accepted? Could courses under "Other Science" on the official AACOMAS subject list qualify?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for y'all. I'm applying this upcoming cycle. For Science Electives, are ONLY
  • Anatomy
  • Physiology
  • Cellular Biology
  • Immunology
  • Microbiology
  • Genetics
accepted? Could courses under "Other Science" on the official AACOMAS subject list qualify?
I'm fairly sure you can use any science class.

Been waitlisted since November and guess getting to the point of having to start moving forward with last resort of SGU(Carribean) since it sounds as though most of the movement has come and gone.

Been waitlisted since November and guess getting to the point of having to start moving forward with last resort of SGU(Carribean) since it sounds as though most of the movement has come and gone.
I would strongly recommend trying another cycle instead of going Caribbean. I'm telling you this as someone who is from the Caribbean and also almost went to SGU as well but decided it wasn't the best option for me.

Agree , it maybe time to move on. I was wait listed sin January. The school's claim of holistic review or regional preference is not probably true. Lucky for me I have an acceptance from another school but ARCOM was my first choice
Good luck to you.

Agree , it maybe time to move on. I was wait listed sin January. The school's claim of holistic review or regional preference is not probably true. Lucky for me I have an acceptance from another school but ARCOM was my first choice
Good luck to you.
Lol just because you haven't been accepted here doesn't mean that what they claim isn't true. I can tell you first hand that they do have a regional preference. But Im just a student, so I wouldn't know about the review process though.

Good luck to you.
I’m thinking of SGU, but Uber expensive
I like Ross and AUA too

Considering SGU, Ross and AUA

Considering SGU, Ross and AUA
don't go to carb. it is crazy that you got an interview if you improve you can get into an us school. getting into a carib school means a lot different especially if you want to do research during the medical school you are not even qualified for so many grants or even external scholarships. Unless you want to stick on FM don't go

don't go to carb. it is crazy that you got an interview if you improve you can get into an us school. getting into a carib school means a lot different especially if you want to do research during the medical school you are not even qualified for so many grants or even external scholarships. Unless you want to stick on FM don't go
Thanks, did not know that
Interested in public health, epidemiology and infectious diseases
But also have loved doing surgery with the dr im shadowing

Your right
I’m thinking maybe a ms in the mean time - it’s so hard to be out of school
Gosh the few (3) ppl I know 2 AUC and one AUA did great and are doing great but I presume the exception not the rule

Your right
Gosh the few (3) ppl I know 2 AUC and one AUA did great and are doing great but I presume the exception not the rule

Honestly, if I wasn’t accepted this cycle I would’ve went to the Caribbean’s as well. Go to the Caribbean’s if you don’t want to waste time. I know plenty of physicians that are practicing that graduated from the Caribbean’s. You become a physician regardless at the end of the day it doesn’t matter.

Maybe take a few months to see if you can inc your mcat score first. I had a low mcat score that I applied with (496). I used a prep company that wasn’t that expensive and I did increase it to 501. I know it’s not the biggest jump, but I think it’ll help me get into a DO school next cycle. You could always start a Caribbean school in January if you don’t get the score you want & spend the summer studying.

Your right
Do NOT go to the Caribbean with your stats. Fix your red flag. Whatever it may be

The placement rate of Caribbean students is roughly about 50%, and the attrition rate at Carib schools are also pretty high, usually around 30% or more in 4 years. So unless you want to be 400K in debt with less than 50% chance of becoming a doctor, I would say do not go Caribbean. Plus Caribbean students are usually stuck in primary care as well. At least with DO you have an average 4% attrition rate plus 98% placement rate. On top of that you have more specialties that are DO friendly opened you.

There's no rush, medical school will always be here. It took me 4 years after undergrad and multiple attempts at the MCAT to finally get into medical school, so I would recommend trying to improve the weak areas of your application and try US DO or MD again if you don't get in this cycle. It will be worth it trust me, especially with the residency merger coming next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, have any of you guys received your financial aid reward letter? I am trying to understand what the amounts of money given to me mean lol. Is the money for fall and spring semester or just fall semester? I was offered a grad plus loan and direct loan unsubsidized.. Do I need to accept both? Thanks!

Hi, have any of you guys received your financial aid reward letter? I am trying to understand what the amounts of money given to me mean lol. Is the money for fall and spring semester or just fall semester? I was offered a grad plus loan and direct loan unsubsidized.. Do I need to accept both? Thanks!
Yes if you dont accept both you won't have money to live on. ARCOM tuition is...43k? I got my aid at my school in two parts. Tuition was paid per semester and roughly 13k to live on/books/etc per semester

Yeah, unless you plan to pay for school and cost of living another way, I would advise accepting the max amount.

Check out the Cost of Attendance section on the ARCOM website:

Click on "Breakdown" for additional details.

Check out the Cost of Attendance section on the ARCOM website:

Click on "Breakdown" for additional details.

Also for existing students your "Award Letter" package for 2019-20120 have been posted to the ARCOM Student Portal. Don't forget that you have to go in and ACCEPT your loans. (You'll have to put a check mark next to each loan, then hit ACCEPT ALL.)

Last edited:
Hep b shots are breaking me. Anybody know getting theirs relatively cheap in the Fort Smith or Hot Springs area?

Just out of curiosity, how much was it after insurance?
0 dollar. My insurance pays everything. Before school, I used to have cigna from my employer, and now I have Arkansas Medicaid. They both pay for everything. I'm guessing because it's not too expensive at Walgreen's.

Last edited:
0 dollar. My insurance pays everything. Before school, I used to have cigna from my employer, and now I have Arkansas Medicaid. They both pay for everything. I'm guessing because it's not too expensive at Walgreen's.

Thanks! That's what I really needed to know.

Not entirely sure if the WL movement is over. The FB members has gone up to 201 from 191 within the last week or so, Maybe these are students not active on SDN

Has anyone that previously put down a deposit at the Residents been contacted yet for room placements? Or does anyone know when they usually do it? I put down my deposit for the Residents in march and it’s been radio silence ever since.

Has anyone that previously put down a deposit at the Residents been contacted yet for room placements? Or does anyone know when they usually do it? I put down my deposit for the Residents in march and it’s been radio silence ever since.
I've done the same with the residents and waiting for them to get information out to everyone as well. Someone on FB contacted them saying that right now they are dealing with OMS II students and will be contacting us shortly.

Wow sad life lol. Well... I guess there’s next cycle to focus on now
Lol for real sad life... Everytime I start thinking of retaking the MCAT and apply again, I just get depressed I remember the part of asking people to send the letters of recommendation while waiting a whole month because someone decided to go on vacation. I spent a month looking for a DO physician to shadow. I called and visit every Do in the town until I found someone. I Just wanted to submit my app to ARCOM and I ended up on the waitlist. :(:scared:

Yes if you dont accept both you won't have money to live on. ARCOM tuition is...43k? I got my aid at my school in two parts. Tuition was paid per semester and roughly 13k to live on/books/etc per semester
alrighty, thank you!

How do I get Arkansas Medicaid?