2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also received the call yesterday...accepted off the alternate list and couldn't be happier!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Mind sharing stats / interview date? Good job!
Thanks! cGPA: ~3.65, sGPA was somewhere in that range as well. MCAT: 502. Interview date: March 9th. Good luck to you and everyone on the waitlist, hopefully we all wind up being classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! cGPA: ~3.65, sGPA was somewhere in that range as well. MCAT: 502. Interview date: March 9th. Good luck to you and everyone on the waitlist, hopefully we all wind up being classmates!

Thanks! Hopefully they’re pulling apps in order of interview date . Roughly same stats but interviewed March 12th

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! Man I thought I was never going to get in because my stats are so low, but hopefully this gives you all some hope if you are in my position. MCAT 500/ GPA: 3.37 Interview 1/18

Reactions: 4 users
Does any one have any thoughts on deciding between WVSOM vs. KCU-Joplin?

In my humble opinion, it really comes down to lifestyle. Where would you rather live? Is family close by? Do you like the outdoors or do you need a shopping mall less than 10 minutes away? Come up with a list of things that you would like and weigh the options. You will get the education you need at any medical school.

For me I enjoy a smaller city and am an avid outdoor enthusiast. I despise traffic and knew Lewisburg would provide me with opportunities that a larger city could not provide. I knew WVSOM was the clear cut choice compared to other schools I interviewed at, but different strokes for different folks.

Also, I just graduated! WVSOM puts on one hell of a graduation week. Good luck to those of you matriculating!! Enjoy the ride, it goes very quick :)

Reactions: 2 users
What airport did everyone fly into when interviewing here

What airport did everyone fly into when interviewing here

There is an airport in Lewisburg but it's expensive. Most people fly into either Roanoke, VA or Charleston, WV and rent a car. Both airports are equidistant at 1.5 hours from Lewisburg but the drive from Charleston to Lewisburg has two tolls ($2 each toll). The drive from Roanoke doesn't have any tolls. Both drives are very scenic.

So today I got a call from Angie with the 304 area code but was unable to answer it since I was working and when I called back later in the evening she didn't answer. Again, probably just being neurotic and over anxious but does WV call about acceptances (I am on the waitlist) and if so who calls usually? Thanks!

So today I got a call from Angie with the 304 area code but was unable to answer it since I was working and when I called back later in the evening she didn't answer. Again, probably just being neurotic and over anxious but does WV call about acceptances (I am on the waitlist) and if so who calls usually? Thanks!
+1

Withdrew acceptance today.
Good luck to you all.

*sound of $3000 flushing down the toilet*

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the upcoming cycle, does anyone know if the pre-secondary screen for GPA will be strict again? will they consider emphasis on post-bacc hours rather than cumulative GPA?

For the upcoming cycle, does anyone know if the pre-secondary screen for GPA will be strict again? will they consider emphasis on post-bacc hours rather than cumulative GPA?
Why don't you give them a call and express your interest? Say you understand your GPA is not up to par and you might be screened out but tell them how badly you want to be there and that you would love to interview. Make sure you fit the school's mission criteria though.

Also if you are on the waitlist right now (if you aren't then for those reading), you still have a chance of matriculating since students matriculate up to as close to the night before the 1st day of orientation. If you don't matriculate this cycle, the school may also offer you a rollover admission for the next cycle. Call them and find out if you meet any of these. I would speak to Angie Bowyer- she's a sweetheart and will greatly help you out.

Why don't you give them a call and express your interest? Say you understand your GPA is not up to par and you might be screened out but tell them how badly you want to be there and that you would love to interview. Make sure you fit the school's mission criteria though.

Thank you for your advice!! I will ask them. I tried to PM you just to elaborate a bit more on my situation, but don't think you take them?

And I also wanted to ask how strict is the DO letter requirement...would a MD letter be ok?

Thank you for your advice!! I will ask them. I tried to PM you just to elaborate a bit more on my situation, but don't think you take them?

And I also wanted to ask how strict is the DO letter requirement...would a MD letter be ok?

I think they require a DO letter, plus it will look better in general. They want to know that you know what it is a DO does in practice. It's a semantics thing really.

Hi everyone,

To those who got accepted from the AL, did you get an email asking if you re still interested beforehand?

When I applied I remember that the DO letter is a strict requirement. That's really weird because I never changed my settings lol. I will PM you

It seems people are receiving that email prior to becoming accepted, but I could be wrong. I received that email May 16th and still on AL. When did you receive the email?

It seems like it too. I haven’t received that email yet. Anyone else not receive that email?

Just got off the phone with Gwen and she said there's still movement on the waitlist. Anyone else have any luck getting in?

*still on the alternate list.

Just got off the phone with Gwen and she said there's still movement on the waitlist. Anyone else have any luck getting in?

*still on the alternate list.
I haven’t seen a post in weeks on SDN of an acceptance here. Still on alternate list as well. Hoping for good news for many on alternate list soon!

Reactions: 5 users
I already committed to another school and I wouldn't change my decision regardless, but I'm pretty confused as to why I've been on the alternate list since February. If I can recall correctly, the med students on interview day said you are pretty much guaranteed an acceptance because there is always good movement.

I also remain on the AL. I interviewed in March and was told by one of the students at my interview that most students on the AL get called off. I already submitted a letter of intent and email updates. I'm still waiting in hope of getting off the list!

I called Angie a month or two back and she said that the waitlist hasn’t been moving as much as they were expecting it to this year. But, that was a while back and things can change

I also remain on the AL. I interviewed in March and was told by one of the students at my interview that most students on the AL get called off. I already submitted a letter of intent and email updates. I'm still waiting in hope of getting off the list!

In the same exact boat as you! It’s driving me insane!

This is crazy that I just made my account today to post on this thread about me remaining on the AL and hoping to get in. But I got the call! I was just accepted, and I just want to say DO NOT lose hope!! Best of luck to all

Reactions: 6 users
This is crazy that I just made my account today to post on this thread about me remaining on the AL and hoping to get in. But I got the call! I was just accepted, and I just want to say DO NOT lose hope!! Best of luck to all
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? And did you receive email regarding continuing interest staying on AL prior to acceptance?

Reactions: 3 users
Stay hopeful. The school continues to give acceptances off of the Alternate List all the way up until the 1st day of orientation even. Even if you don't get accepted, remain hopeful that you may be accepted on a rollover admission into the following years class (this is how I was accepted 4 years ago). Continue to show interest, call the office and find out your application status, but don't be a nuisance at the same time. Good luck to all of you!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? And did you receive email regarding continuing interest staying on AL prior to acceptance?

Yes I received the email about staying on the alternate list on mid- May. Interviewed March 5th. MCAT: 500 (124/123/125/128), Cum GPA: 3.761, Science GPA: 3.50. Had lots of leadership and relevant experience.

Accepted yesterday! Good luck to everyone remaining on the alternate list. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call! I will being pulling my seat from UIWSOM and accepting this seat at WVSOM! Can't wait!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got the call! I will being pulling my seat from UIWSOM and accepting this seat at WVSOM! Can't wait!

Congratulations!

Do you mind sharing your stats, and whether or not you received the email about continued interest? Just curious haha

I was accepted into LECOM Erie post bacc and the new masters program at WVSOM. So, LECOM vs. WVSOM?

I was accepted into LECOM Erie post bacc and the new masters program at WVSOM. So, LECOM vs. WVSOM?
I love WVSOM, so the masters at West Liberty is ideal for me. The guaranteed acceptance if you meet their guidelines is very beneficial.

I love WVSOM, so the masters at West Liberty is ideal for me. The guaranteed acceptance if you meet their guidelines is very beneficial.
Its only guaranteed if you meet the mcat requirement and GPA before entering the program. A lot if people I met said they dont meet the requirements and have decided to go elsewhere because its not guaranteed acceptance as they stated before.

Its only guaranteed if you meet the mcat requirement and GPA before entering the program. A lot if people I met said they dont meet the requirements and have decided to go elsewhere because its not guaranteed acceptance as they stated before.
Are you referring to the undergrad requirements?

Has anyone heard any updates regarding rollover admission or current waitlist status?