2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete in August, initially deferred status, interviewed Oct. 20th. Accepted Oct. 24th
~traditional student, MCAT 497, sGPA 3.3, OOS, DO shadowing, ~1000 research, hospital work and volunteering

How was your interview? I'm a lil nervous for mine on friday!

Members don't see this ad.

I was deferred. I called an spoke with the admissions team on a Thursday. They sent me an II on Monday. So I say go for it! Good luck!

Called and left a message. Thanks for egging me on. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, for those of y'all that got a decision deferred or a II invite, how long did it take to hear back after submitting? I've been been "under review" for about 7 weeks now.. :/ Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)

I know it's hard not to be nervous (I was too) -- but try not to be! Its so relaxed and everyone is so nice. Afterwards I realized how stressed out I was over nothing. You will do great, good luck!

Did you send them any updates after being deferred or did they just randomly send you an II? We have similar stats so im hoping for an interview soon

Nope I just made it very clear that this was my top choice and emailed a few weeks after the deferred decision. Then was given a II a few hours after

Reactions: 1 user
It's normal to be nervous! Something is wrong with you if you head into a med school interview not nervous lol. It's super stress free. I was so nervous that I had to apologize for my hands being so sweaty haha. You will be great. Prepare well and you will perform well. Everyone is wicked nice

Hi all! My interview is scheduled for mid January. I know this is sorta late in the cycle. I was just wondering how much of a disadvantage this puts me in. Are most of the spots gone by this time?

All of the interview dates are full this month and December?

Does anyone know post-interview acceptance rates? I saw something on the premed subreddit that claimed something crazy (like 94%), and I'm curious if that's anywhere close to correct.

I was deferred. I called an spoke with the admissions team on a Thursday. They sent me an II on Monday. So I say go for it! Good luck!
Who did you talk to if you don’t mind me asking? I have been “under review” now since August...

Interviewed 11/9 got an acceptance phone call today ! Amazing school deff one of the top on my list, very excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on 11/9 and got the acceptance call as well today! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! please stats
In my humble opinion, stats help but they look at how good of the match someone is to the school's mission. From what I saw stats range from 497 to 510. I think II and acceptances are mission driven

In my humble opinion, stats help but they look at how good of the match someone is to the school's mission. From what I saw stats range from 497 to 510. I think II and acceptances are mission driven

Yeah, I think they’re really trying to find students who are going to be a good fit. Interest in family med definitely helps matters but they look at the whole picture. They’re super into finding good fits for the academic community.

I interviewed 11/13 and didn't get a call today. Is anyone else in this position? Also, has anyone on here not gotten accepted to this school after interviewing?

Last edited:
I interviewed 11/13 and didn't get a call today. Is anyone else in this position? Also, has anyone on here not gotten accepted to this school after interviewing?

Don’t worry too much about it. It varies in terms of how long it takes to get back to people. You’ll see on here lots of groups hear back really soon, but there are definitely exceptions. My group and i didn’t get our calls until like 2 weeks after the interview. It was a rough wait lol. It’s only been a day. I wouldn’t sound the alarms yet. Have other people from your group heard back?

Don’t worry too much about it. It varies in terms of how long it takes to get back to people. You’ll see on here lots of groups hear back really soon, but there are definitely exceptions. My group and i didn’t get our calls until like 2 weeks after the interview. It was a rough wait lol. It’s only been a day. I wouldn’t sound the alarms yet. Have other people from your group heard back?

I haven't seen anyone on this thread that interviewed that day get called. I really hope I get in. When did you interview?

Looks like some interviewees that interviewed 11/9 got called today :lame:

Well they interviewed before you. I would expect they’d hear first. I wouldn’t worry just yet if I were you. Give it a little time. Best advice I have is to try and keep your mind off of it, as hard as that is to do.

I was complete 08/25. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to offer IIs? Getting anxious.

Hey guys, for those of y'all that got a decision deferred or a II invite, how long did it take to hear back after submitting? I've been been "under review" for about 7 weeks now.. :/ Thanks guys!

I've been wondering the same thing! I've been complete for 12 weeks as of this week. ):

I was complete 08/25. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to offer IIs? Getting anxious.
Hi! :)
I was complete 8/10, and got the interview invite 8/30. The earliest date available to me was mid-October.

I know this school gets many applications. Its possible they just have a lot to work through.

It doesn't hurt to check in! I sent a few emails. The admissions team is so nice.

Hi! :)
I was complete 8/10, and got the interview invite 8/30. The earliest date available to me was mid-October.

I know this school gets many applications. Its possible they just have a lot to work through.

It doesn't hurt to check in! I sent a few emails. The admissions team is so nice.

Thanks! I sent an email at the end of September, will probably send another to indicate I'm still interested! Been complete 12 weeks.

To those who have interviewed--did you give the interviewers a resume?

no its kind of pointless as it's an open interview they have everything in front of them
To those who have interviewed--did you give the interviewers a resume?

Yeah I didn’t give a resume, nor did anyone in my interview group. The application itself (primary and secondary) should be sufficient for them in terms of being able to see your ECs and background info. If they wanted more I’m sure they’d request it or ask about it during your interview.

I don't know. A physician I know recommended it. I've read it on some website as well.

I don't know. A physician I know recommended it. I've read it on some website as well.

Sounds like a bit much for an open file interview. Anyone else interviewing friday?

Spoke to admissions, based upon our convo, they will start looking heavily at all deferred candidates early January so just enjoy the holidays and be patient!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I visited the Open House today. I have been to a few Open Houses and interviewed but WVSOM exceeded all my expectations! The school is a hidden gem. They really prepare their grads to be ready to practice medicine from day one.

I was there as well. Awesome school. Already made the deposit but I learned some pretty cool stuff today that I didn’t know. I had no idea WVSOM was top 10 in the nation both MD and DO in match success rate. According to their president last year was 100% match rate. Even further solidifying why I’m so excited to attend this school. Faculty, staff and students were so welcoming and friendly.

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting on an II from this school :(

Complete on 9/12 -- 509, 3.35 cGPA, 3.20 sGPA, OOS

Yeh but the mcat more than compensates for it. Word is out, this is a good school so people want to go here.
At the open house last weekend the admissions discussed this topic at length. They look at gpa to see how well a student will do with the medical curricula, mcat is an indication how good someone at taking a standardized tests like boards. They weigh both because both required to graduate.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the open house last weekend the admissions discussed this topic at length. They look at gpa to see how well a student will do with the medical curricula, mcat is an indication how good someone at taking a standardized tests like boards. They weight both because both required to graduate.

I go to WVSOM and I know folks who got in with lower stats. This is one school that does look at the whole applicant and isnt number driven.

Still waiting on an II from this school :(

Complete on 9/12 -- 509, 3.35 cGPA, 3.20 sGPA, OOS

Your mcat is above average for WVSOM but your sGPA is a tad low (their average matriculant gpa is 3.4). Although my guess (and it’s just a guess) is that alone wouldn’t be enough to keep you out of consideration. This school really looks at the big picture when it comes to applicants so ECs are very important. My interview primarily consisted of discussing my ECs. Do you have strong ECs and LORs? Also what does your portal say?

Was really impressed with the tour today, the campus was much bigger than I thought.

Has anybody gotten an II from here with a science GPA of 3.2 or lower?