2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who received interviews! Still waiting but I am wondering if this school may offer silent rejections? Anyone have info on this? I was complete in early Sept. MCAT 507 but relatively weak undergrad gpa due to some family issues - 3.2. Finished a graduate degree with 3.4 and am now working in the medical field. Lots of extracurricular and volunteer experiences. Wonder if I should start thinking about other alternatives for the next year? Some honest feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats to everyone who received interviews! Still waiting but I am wondering if this school may offer silent rejections? Anyone have info on this? I was complete in early Sept. MCAT 507 but relatively weak undergrad gpa due to some family issues - 3.2. Finished a graduate degree with 3.4 and am now working in the medical field. Lots of extracurricular and volunteer experiences. Wonder if I should start thinking about other alternatives for the next year? Some honest feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Have you only applied to this school? With a 507 I suggest applying to both Midwestern schools as they favor a high MCAT over GPA. This school states that they do review apps holistically but the trend from the past couple of years is that they're more forgiving in terms of low MCAT scores than low GPA. It's also still the middle of the cycle so anything can happen from now till spring.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know if they do silent rejects or not, but what does your portal say? With my II and then recent acceptance my portal showed both changes within a day or so of getting the email/phone call. I would assume your portal would be your best bet. But you can always call admissions. They are super helpful there. Your MCAT is solid and actually above average for a lot of DO schools, however your GPA is a bit low. I think you'll want to just do your research as to which schools would be a good fit for you. I was the opposite as my GPA is pretty strong at 3.6 but my MCAT wasn't great. WVSOM is pretty notorious for not valuing the MCAT as much (they have a 500 average MCAT score for matriculants). However, from my understanding they place a pretty strong emphasis on undergrad science GPA's. If you get no bites this round you may want to consider a year long postbacc program to boost your GPA. Just something to consider! Hope this helps...good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
How can i turn down the interview? The email says they'll withdraw you if you just ignore and don't respond but I don't want to be rude...

Was also wondering this. $2,000 is such a big commitment but it makes me nervous to keep waiting.

Don't be nervous to wait! Your spot isn't going anywhere so long as you don't pay the deposit past the first deadline which is 12/14 I believe. It's still so early in the application cycle, 2 grand is a lot of money to drop if you're not ONE THOUSAND percent sure this is where you're going. I literally just got another interview from CUSOM an hour ago so if you're willing to turn down possible future interviews and loved WVSOM enough to make that decision now, then by all means make the deposit (it's understandable - the school was fantastic. I love it myself.) But you will not lose your spot by waiting either

Reactions: 1 users
Was also wondering this. $2,000 is such a big commitment but it makes me nervous to keep waiting.

I made the deposit because I am for sure going here as WVSOM is my #1 choice so it was no question for me! Definitely wait if you are not 100% sure because it is a lot of money to put down.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I was also deferred ( although more than a month ago now), what grade update are you talking about? and great MCAT score, do not retake it.
Hi, sorry I just saw this. I mean the grade update through aacomas. I had finished a few courses in june after i had submitted my primary so i updated in early september during the update period on aacomas

I received the deferred office about a month ago, however, I updated with my second MCAT score (10 points increase within a month). Anyone knows when they might either give me an interview or alternative? 3.6c, 3.5s GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still waiting for an II? Was complete early August

Does committee meet every Tuesday in terms of acceptances?

I was completed early August, and still nothing. :( I will call them today maybe

I emailed a few weeks ago and they said they still have not gotten to reviewing my application. If you do call please let us know what they say!

Does committee meet every Tuesday in terms of acceptances?

From my understanding the committee does meet in Tuesday’s, however it’s not every Tuesday. I interviewed on 10/5 and didn’t get the acceptance call until 10/17. Other people on here interviewed on a Monday and heard back the next day, so I think it just depends.

Interviewed 10/13 and still no call or portal update.

Wow this school is fast! Interviewed on 10/20 and just received the acceptance call about 15 minutes ago! Most likely going to decline but it seemed like a great school and the campus was amazing.

Accepted! This has been a dream for so long, it doesn't even feel real! God is so good!

Reactions: 5 users
is it too late to submit a secondary?
I submitted a secondary in November last year and found a spot on the AL come January. I submitted a secondary in August this year and haven't heard anything. Funny how that works. Kinda like Vegas, and not games where the odds are in your favor.

I submitted a secondary in November last year and found a spot on the AL come January. I submitted a secondary in August this year and haven't heard anything. Funny how that works. Kinda like Vegas, and not games where the odds are in your favor.
WL last year as well. Interviewed in December. Reapplied this year earlier and silence.

Withdrew my December interview. Hopefully one of you can reschedule for an earlier date if you're in the January crew. Best of luck

Needing some advice on what to do! I reached out to the admissions office for a status update on 9/27 after being “under review” for awhile. Angie Bowyer replied back saying congratulations you have a status change and you will be getting an interview invite soon. I then emailed back one week later on 10/4 asking if there was anything else I needed to do before I am contacted about my interview. Mrs. Bowyer said no there is nothing I need to do and she assumed there are no interview slots opened yet and she is confident I will definitely recieve an interview invite. Here I am 10/26 with no status change on my portal and no email about an interview yet.

What should I do now? Contact them again and ask or just wait it out some more since I already contacted them twice? Thank you!

Needing some advice on what to do! I reached out to the admissions office for a status update on 9/27 after being “under review” for awhile. Angie Bowyer replied back saying congratulations you have a status change and you will be getting an interview invite soon. I then emailed back one week later on 10/4 asking if there was anything else I needed to do before I am contacted about my interview. Mrs. Bowyer said no there is nothing I need to do and she assumed there are no interview slots opened yet and she is confident I will definitely recieve an interview invite. Here I am 10/26 with no status change on my portal and no email about an interview yet.

What should I do now? Contact them again and ask or just wait it out some more since I already contacted them twice? Thank you!

I would just reply on that email thread and simply ask if any interview slots have opened up. It’s been 3 weeks so asking is definitely warranted!

Are we aware of anyone who’s interviewed not being accepted? Two years ago they had a 96% post interview acceptance rate and last year was around 70% according to numbers I’ve seen. I wonder what this year is looking like

Are we aware of anyone who’s interviewed not being accepted? Two years ago they had a 96% post interview acceptance rate and last year was around 70% according to numbers I’ve seen. I wonder what this year is looking like

I’m curious of that myself. I saw the US news report stat from 2016 suggesting they were at 94% but I have no clue how this year is shaping up. So far no one whose had an interview has posted back saying they got denied though (not suggesting that’s a general trend just an observation)...

Also accepted!! Seriously, this school was an absolute dream! They called less than 12 hours from when I got back home haha with the acceptance. I was thinking of cancelling my interview at KCUCOM next week cause I'm 98% sure I will end up here??

Reactions: 7 users
Also accepted!! Seriously, this school was an absolute dream! They called less than 12 hours from when I got back home haha with the acceptance. I was thinking of cancelling my interview at KCUCOM next week cause I'm 98% sure I will end up here??

So stoked for you guys! I've only heard great things about the school. I'm interviewing in two weeks. Have any tips for the actual interview?

So stoked for you guys! I've only heard great things about the school. I'm interviewing in two weeks. Have any tips for the actual interview?

No they seriously weren't kidding when they said how relaxed it was. I didn't even get asked "why medicine/doctor." I have been really nervous in my past interviews (and was kind of on this one) but there was no reason to be. Just enjoy it!

I would definitely go visit KCU. It's one of the top DO schools and it's in a downtown area unlike WV. The only drawback to this school due to its high COMLEX pass rate and amazing match list is the fact that their preclinical years are so tough, mental issues has became a problem on campus. If you want to match something other than primary care or you want to pursue a strong ACGME residency then KCU > WV.

Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely go visit KCU. It's one of the top DO schools and it's in a downtown area unlike WV. The only drawback to this school due to its high COMLEX pass rate and amazing match list is the fact that their preclinical years are so tough, mental issues has became a problem on campus. If you want to match something other than primary care or you want to pursue a strong ACGME residency then KCU > WV.

Thats exactly why I was still gonna go!! Ugh the struggle if I get in both places will be tough. Also worried because the "4 week mark" from my KCU interview is like exactly 12/14 aka when my other deposit would be due

I heard the opposite about KSU. My friend went there and is in crappy residency now. The other friend is wvsom alumni and is a professor of psychiatry in one of top medical schools.

Thats exactly why I was still gonna go!! Ugh the struggle if I get in both places will be tough. Also worried because the "4 week mark" from my KCU interview is like exactly 12/14 aka when my other deposit would be due
Go with your guts. Go visit KCU and see it, after all it's your future.

I heard the opposite about KSU. My friend went there and is in crappy residency now. The other friend is wvsom alumni and is a professor of psychiatry in one of top medical schools.

After all, just by matriculating at KCU doesn't guarantee you a top residency, it's all about how much work you put into your board preparation, LORs, and such.

Accepted the day after my interview!!

Reactions: 5 users
The only drawback to this school due to its high COMLEX pass rate and amazing match list is the fact that their preclinical years are so tough, mental issues has became a problem on campus.

Can you elaborate? Would you propose that issue is because of the rural area and there not being as much to do around campus, or is it a cutthroat atmosphere... or a mix of both?