2017-2018 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for any accepted Canadians: do you know how long it took to get a student visa ? I’m still on the waitlist and I’m thinking that I don’t have a chance anymore if the visa takes some time before school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

Question for any accepted Canadians: do you know how long it took to get a student visa ? I’m still on the waitlist and I’m thinking that I don’t have a chance anymore if the visa takes some time before school starts.
I haven’t gotten accepted here, but I was at a different school. I’m in the same situation, and it doesn’t take too long. You just need the admissions letter, financial aid documents and bank statements (loans/student line of credit from Canada) and you’re good to go. The school will give you an I-20 I believe, then you go to the border and get the F1. So even if you get accepted a bit later you’ll still have time. And I’m sure they'll be patient with you, if they accept you really late. I hope you get in, after that everything else will work itself out in time. So don’t get stressed early.

I haven’t gotten accepted here, but I was at a different school. I’m in the same situation, and it doesn’t take too long. You just need the admissions letter, financial aid documents and bank statements (loans/student line of credit from Canada) and you’re good to go. The school will give you an I-20 I believe, then you go to the border and get the F1. So even if you get accepted a bit later you’ll still have time. And I’m sure they'll be patient with you, if they accept you really late. I hope you get in, after that everything else will work itself out in time. So don’t get stressed early.

That’s great to hear! Thank you for the info :) best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially withdrew my acceptance. Tough giving it up since it was my first! Good luck to everybody still waiting

Reactions: 3 users
How many acceptances left to offer vs waitlist students do you guys think they have at this point? The website has been stuck on 349 offers for a while

Last edited:
How many acceptances left to offer vs waitlist students do you guys think they have at this point? The website has been stuck on 349 offers for a while

According to US News 2015-2016 cycle data Wayne State interviewed 749 people and accepted 559 (including waitlist offers) to fill a class of ~290.

In the 2016-2017 cycle they interviewed 857 people by comparison according to MSAR.

For those who got accepted off the waitlist, did any of you upload more than one letter of intent?

Just accepted here! This is up there on my top choices exclusively because of the diversity programs. :D I’ll update later today after I talk to my SO whether I will accept the offer or go with my current option!

Reactions: 4 users
So I am deciding to take WSU up on their offer and will be withdrawing my other acceptance. I hope more movement comes for other waitlisters here!

I hear that Detroit is extremely dangerous and has become expensive to live in lately. Be careful! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear that Detroit is extremely dangerous and has become expensive to live in lately. Be careful! :)
Lol what an obvious attempt at gunning by someone on the waitlist. Your future classmates will be so lucky to have you. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To the rest of ya, i just finished m1 at Wayne, hit me up if y'all have questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Lol what an obvious attempt at gunning by someone on the waitlist. Your future classmates will be so lucky to have you. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To the rest of ya, i just finished m1 at Wayne, hit me up if y'all have questions!

blatant lol

Reactions: 2 users
LMAO! I'm assuming the best and that you're joking. Just visited Detroit yesterday and felt just like Ann Arbor. Went to Shinola, Jolly Pumpkin, and my apartment complex. Love the city more and more each visit. Can't wait for July 16th!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone called the admissions office recently asking how many more waitlist acceptances they anticipate on giving out/how many theyve already given out? I'd call but I don't want to pester them if someone has already done it lol

LMAO! I'm assuming the best and that you're joking. Just visited Detroit yesterday and felt just like Ann Arbor. Went to Shinola, Jolly Pumpkin, and my apartment complex. Love the city more and more each visit. Can't wait for July 16th!!!!
Why does it say on Wayne state med’s academic Calendar that school starts August 29th if it starts July 16th?

Why does it say on Wayne state med’s academic Calendar that school starts August 29th if it starts July 16th?

You’re looking at the Wayne State undergraduate academic calendar. The med school year 1 calendar has not been updated yet.

I'm not sure. My email just says the start date is July 16th with a two-week orientation. Maybe that's why? I could be mistaken...

IM IN! 1ST MD ACCEPTANCE. IN STATE, INTERVIEWED 2/12, WAITLISTED END OF MARCH. Sorry but this is like a dream for me. I am so excited

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know why the tuition and fees is listed as $1 in the Cost of Attendance 2018-2019 in Academia? I mean, I wouldn't complain...

Was the $1 tuition and fees legit or was that an error on their part? My tuition and fees says $2, and I can't get a hold of the financial aid office right now.

Was the $1 tuition and fees legit or was that an error on their part? My tuition and fees says $2, and I can't get a hold of the financial aid office right now.

I assume it's some sort of automatic need based calculation based off of FAFSA but I still haven't heard back from the fin aid office.

I can't wait to meet all of you this July. I'm so excited to start! :biglove:

Reactions: 8 users
I can't wait to meet all of you this July. I'm so excited to start! :biglove:
Hey BurntFlower! So cool seeing all your posts this cycle and finding out we'll be in the same school! Hope to meet you soon!!

Just withdrew my acceptance after getting accepted to my top choice off the waitlist. Definitely a tough one to pull the trigger on, both because it was my first acceptance and because it was in my hometown of Detroit which I absolutely adore, but the other program was the better fit for me.

Good luck to all that are still waiting, I hope that one of you great people get my spot! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Just withdrew my acceptance after getting accepted to my top choice off the waitlist. Definitely a tough one to pull the trigger on, both because it was my first acceptance and because it was in my hometown of Detroit which I absolutely adore, but the other program was the better fit for me.

Good luck to all that are still waiting, I hope that one of you great people get my spot! :)

Thank you!

The admissions tracker has been updated. 491 admission offers have been sent out.

I just saw this as well. This is so discouraging to hear. I wish there was something we could do to move up in the ranks
Sorry I know this is a dumb question but... Why is this discouraging? How many do they traditionally send out?

Sorry I know this is a dumb question but... Why is this discouraging? How many do they traditionally send out?
Last year I believe they sent out around 518 offers. This year they had about 3000 more applicants and seem to be more competitive so I’m not sure how many more spots will open up but obviously it totally depends on people withdrawing their acceptances

Withdrawing my acceptance today. Best of luck to everyone!

Anyone know the chances of still getting off the waitlist? I feel like all spots are taken since not much movement happening

Accepted today!! Wayne was my top choice :soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know the link to the official Facebook group for class of 2020? I'm looking for housing at the moment. Thanks guys!