2017-2018 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
Wayne State University Interview Feedback
Interviewed at Wayne State? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm currently waitlisted for the 2017 cycle at Wayne, and I already submitted my primaries for 2018 just in case. Just got my secondary application, but when I click to complete the secondary application from their checklist, it says I've already completed the questions and shows me my responses from last year. Anyone else have this problem, or know how to get around this? I really want to submit my application earlier this time around lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Wayne State still screens? Past SDN threads say that they screen heavily, but the MSAR says that they send secondaries to all applicants. Was there a recent change that anyone can confirm?

secondary received! They requested that supporting materials be submitted within 2 weeks (including LOR and essays). My prehealth committee most likely will not finish their letter before then... so in this case what should I do? Email the school?

@WedgeDawg @Lucca

Prompts:

(All 1000 characters, spaces included)

Why do you wish to pursue your medical education at Wayne State University School of Medicine?

Medical School is very time consuming, and you are going to have to eliminate some current activities. What three activities are most important for you to continue while in medical school? Why?

Give an example of a project to which you gave sustained effort. How were you involved in the leadership of this project?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My log in worked and I was able to access all the parts of the application except for the secondary. I called them and they said they have yet to release the secondary and that I should wait at least 1 week at minimum. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

I am experiencing this as well. The website says "This form is not currently active."

Reactions: 1 users
I just called and they said there's a glitch in the system and they're working on fixing it.

Reactions: 3 users
For neurotic premed sake, there's still access trouble to the secondary, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received on June 30.

Does anyone know if Wayne State still screens? Past SDN threads say that they screen heavily, but the MSAR says that they send secondaries to all applicants. Was there a recent change that anyone can confirm?
Don't know if Wayne State screens, but I received a secondary despite having LizzyM score of 62.80. Probably means they auto-2ndary.

I am experiencing this as well. The website says "This form is not currently active."
I am experiencing this as well.

Wayne does not screen anymore. This changed a couple of years ago now, around the LCME stuff time, if I'm not mistaken.

Secondary Received on June 30.

Don't know if Wayne State screens, but I received a secondary despite having LizzyM score of 62.80. Probably means they auto-2ndary.

I am experiencing this as well.
Is anyone still experiencing this? I am not able to access it. Thank you!

Still receiving the error message. Anyone contact them today?

Still receiving the error message. Anyone contact them today?
I did. The gentleman on the phone gave me a standard message saying they're working on it and hope to have it resolved by Monday. Applicants should keep checking to see if its resolved.

Any update on the secondary prompt error? I still get "this form is not active" when accessing the prompts.

I emailed and got this response today: Thank you for contacting Wayne State School of Medicine. Our secondary application is currently down for maintenance and we do not have have a specific date it will be available yet. The two-week deadline will be extended to when you are able to access it for the first time. Thank you for your patience.

I emailed and got this response today: Thank you for contacting Wayne State School of Medicine. Our secondary application is currently down for maintenance and we do not have have a specific date it will be available yet. The two-week deadline will be extended to when you are able to access it for the first time. Thank you for your patience.
Thanks for the update! Looks like we're going to have to wait for this one.

Anyone know what to do about the Visa Papers section? It says to "upload a copy of your visa." Did everyone else get this or just because I'm Canadian? ha

Anyone know what to do about the Visa Papers section? It says to "upload a copy of your visa." Did everyone else get this or just because I'm Canadian? ha

I got upload a copy of your US Passport. I think it may depend on the type of applicant

I just called their office, and they said the secondary should be back up next week

Wow, same! I guess ignore my earlier post...
Is there weird formatting for you guys? right under the amcas ID box, there are a bunch of boxes to check about WSU, but no instructions...i'm sure it's probably something about how you heard about their medical school.

Wow, same! I guess ignore my earlier post...
What are they asking below AMCAS ID# ? e.g. WSUSOM's Summer MCAT Prep Program, AHEC Premedical Scholars etc?
Are they asking if I came to know about WSUSOM though these programs or something else? Thanks!

What are they asking below AMCAS ID# ? e.g. WSUSOM's Summer MCAT Prep Program, AHEC Premedical Scholars etc?
Are they asking if I came to know about WSUSOM though these programs or something else? Thanks!
I'm assuming it's something like that. As I have never heard of any of them, I didn't check anything

Does anyone know if a Canadian could continue living in Canada while studying at Wayne state? I know that there are people who commute, but I'm wondering if I would need to have an American address in order to get a visa to study in the United States.

If anyone knows where I could find information to answer these questions, I would appreciate it if you could share.

Aaaand submitted. Let the wait begin!

Does anyone know if a Canadian could continue living in Canada while studying at Wayne state? I know that there are people who commute, but I'm wondering if I would need to have an American address in order to get a visa to study in the United States.

If anyone knows where I could find information to answer these questions, I would appreciate it if you could share.

You can. There is a student who commutes from Leamington, and that's just one example. There are also plenty of students who commute to Mercy law and dental from Windsor. On you visa you will be a 'commuting Canadian,' meaning that you commute across the border. With a Nexus card, its very doable, but not sure I would recommend it for med school, since the border can get crowded and be a little unpredictable. But you can always change this by requesting new papers and getting them signed at the border again.

You can. There is a student who commutes from Leamington, and that's just one example. There are also plenty of students who commute to Mercy law and dental from Windsor. On you visa you will be a 'commuting Canadian,' meaning that you commute across the border. With a Nexus card, its very doable, but not sure I would recommend it for med school, since the border can get crowded and be a little unpredictable. But you can always change this by requesting new papers and getting them signed at the border again.

Thank you, this answered everything I was looking for.If my girlfriend and I live in Canada then she can still work as a teacher here (in Canada). Although I can see what you mean.

opened and submitted.
I submitted secondary yesterday but it it still not showing green checkmark beside it. Is anyone experiencing that? It is not 24 hours yet but close to it though. Just curious!

For the "re-applicant" essay, are they referring to if you've applied to medical school in general in the past or solely if you are a reapplicant to Wayne State? I applied in summer of 2015 but did not apply to Wayne State, this will be my first time applying there. Thanks!

For the "re-applicant" essay, are they referring to if you've applied to medical school in general in the past or solely if you are a reapplicant to Wayne State? I applied in summer of 2015 but did not apply to Wayne State, this will be my first time applying there. Thanks!

I assumed it was asking if I had applied to medical school in general

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I assumed it was asking if I had applied to medical school in general

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I called and they said a re-applicant for wayne state only. Can someone else call and verify that I didn't speak with someone clueless?

I called and there was no answer, but to be honest I'm just going to fill it out anyway. Boasting about our improvements from last cycle can't hurt us I guess, right?