2017-2018 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question here - applying next cycle but figured I would get some opinion.

Is this school worth throwing an app at for a low-stat, OOS applicant? (3.2 cGPA, 3.9 pbGPA, 510 MCAT, MA resident, great ECs).
Not sure whether this school rewards reinvention or is open to a Mass resident.

Random question here - applying next cycle but figured I would get some opinion.

Is this school worth throwing an app at for a low-stat, OOS applicant? (3.2 cGPA, 3.9 pbGPA, 510 MCAT, MA resident, great ECs).

I think it would be worthwhile. How many classes did you take with your post-bacc? I know they reward graduate GPA reinvention over 20 credit hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be worthwhile. How many classes did you take with your post-bacc? I know they reward graduate GPA reinvention over 20 credit hours.

Nice. My PB was ~23 credits of upper level bio courses. I think it might be worth giving it a go.

Reactions: 1 users

I would totally do it. You sound a lot like me (I got accepted in November): (3.5 cGPA, 3.5 pbGPA, 503 MCAT, MA resident, great EC/LORs, 4 publications and a Masters)

I would totally do it. You sound a lot like me (I got accepted in November): (3.5 cGPA, 3.5 pbGPA, 503 MCAT, MA resident, great EC/LORs, 4 publications and a Masters)

Congrats!! Gotta represent the MA

I called them and they said they gave them out. Kinda disappointed I didn't even get a partial scholarship given my LizzyM score of 77 and multiple acceptences. Honestly, Wayne was my top choice and I was going to matriculate if I was given one but oh well

Well did you get your financial aide package and find out what you did get? Did they mention when they would send out the packages.

+2

I did both a DIY post-bac (4.0 GPA) and Masters (3.9 GPA) with strong LORs and multiple first-author publications. Overall undergrad GPA was about 3.2. I was accepted in October as OOS applicant. I definitely think applying is worth a chance! Good luck next year!

I got an email response today saying that financial award letters should be sent out by the end of May and that merit scholarships are being given out, although I don’t know if they’ve given out all of them.

I got an email response today saying that financial award letters should be sent out by the end of May and that merit scholarships are being given out, although I don’t know if they’ve given out all of them.
end of May... I'm sorry but does anybody else feel like that is very late to be knowing just how much debt we will be in...........

end of May... I'm sorry but does anybody else feel like that is very late to be knowing just how much debt we will be in...........
Yes I agree this is way too late. Anything after April 30th is too late imo

Did you get this email as a response to a question you asked them or did they send this to you proactively? In the latter case, that might be a good sign!

I got the same answer to an email I sent them asking about financial aid.
Unfortunately, I will be withdrawing today, good luck to the waitlisted people!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got the same email: fin aid at the end of May and merit scholarships are already being sent out (and sounds like they have already been sent out).

It is very late. The curriculum is also not posted which is frustrating because the whole next year feels like it is in limbo!

I also got the same email: fin aid at the end of May and merit scholarships are already being sent out (and sounds like they have already been sent out).

It is very late. The curriculum is also not posted which is frustrating because the whole next year feels like it is in limbo!
Yup... Looking for a place to live but no idea what my budget is. As somebody who applied FAP and needs to take out a lot of loans for these things, it is a stressor not knowing what is going on

got a merit scholarship last week, withdrew today - good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Did you just email the admissions office? I email'd them to withdraw a couple days ago, no response yet.
I called them today and they said to email them a formal withdrawal. As long as you sent the email on or before April 30th, its on record that you withdrew so you should be good! They're probably just slow at replying back to emails.

So its April 30, when do people think the waitlist will start moving as a result of withdrawals?

Just withdrew, sending good vibes to those waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
So its April 30, when do people think the waitlist will start moving as a result of withdrawals?
Pretty sure adcom meets on thursdays so I’d expect movements to happen almost every week on thursdays / Friday’s for the month of May

Is there anyone still waiting on an initial post-interview decision? Trying to gauge the timeline for waitlisted people

FIRST ACCEPTANCE. Interviewed mid-Feb and was waitlisted.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Just accepted off the waitlist from January! So conflicted now. Thought I had my decisions all made

Reactions: 9 users
First acceptance!!!!!! Waitlisted late Feb. Notified via email.

Reactions: 10 users
Waitlist gods, please have mercy! :arghh:

For those who got off the waitlist, did you send updates and letters of intent?

Congrats to all the waitlist acceptances today!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Waitlist gods, please have mercy! :arghh:

For those who got off the wautlist, did you send updates and letters of intent?

Congrats to all the waitlist acceptances today!!!

I sent an update/interest letter a few weeks ago.

I was also accepted off the waitlist today! Sent a LOI a few weeks ago.

Reactions: 4 users
How were you guys notified of your acceptance from the waitlist? Phone, email or portal?

I am very happy for all of you, and yet very sad for myself... conflicted emotions today, I have...

Well it seems they’ve reached decisions on late-interviewees that they were forced to waitlist due to a full class. Next round of acceptances should include people that interviewed earlier in the season, I hope.

Can someone send a screenshot of were one should post any additional documents, such as Letter Of Intents or update letters. Or is it mostly done sending them an email of it? I just want make sure I'm doing it correct. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

I was notified via email and I sent in an update/LOI a few weeks ago

Well it seems they’ve reached decisions on late-interviewees that they were forced to waitlist due to a full class. Next round of acceptances should include people that interviewed earlier in the season, I hope.
That’s quite the generalization I think. They rank the waitlist, so any acceptances are going in order of rank/need of fulfillment - for example, if a female declined their acceptance, they will pull the highest female to cover that spot. Saying they are going to now begin pulling people who were waitlisted earlier in the season isn’t accurate.

That’s quite the generalization I think. They rank the waitlist, so any acceptances are going in order of rank/need of fulfillment - for example, if a female declined their acceptance, they will pull the highest female to cover that spot. Saying they are going to now begin pulling people who were waitlisted earlier in the season isn’t accurate.
I’m not saying that later interviewees will no longer be looked at. I’m saying that in order to be looking at those who interviewed earlier they would have had to get to those they initially wanted who interviewed late but had to waitlist due to a full class. I know this because they did the same thing last year if you look.

I’m not saying that later interviewees will no longer be looked at. I’m saying that in order to be looking at those who interviewed earlier they would have had to get to those they initially wanted who interviewed late but had to waitlist due to a full class. I know this because they did the same thing last year if you look.
Fair assessment

Withdrew acceptance! Good luck to you all!

To People Who Are Withdrawing,

We love you.

Sincerely,

The Waitlist

Last edited:
Woah... that's a big deal. I wonder what this means for the students currently going through 3rd and 4th year... I hope Wayne had a contingency plan o_O

It said somewhere that the contracts remain for a few more years for current students but I don't know what they'll do with incoming students. Also with them changing the curriculum it sounds like everything will be different for incoming students.

It said somewhere that the contracts remain for a few more years for current students but I don't know what they'll do with incoming students. Also with them changing the curriculum it sounds like everything will be different for incoming students.
can confirm that the incoming class (meaning our year) will not be affected by this news.

Just accepted off waitlist! Longest wait ever but so worth it!! Interview end of August, waitlisted in October. Dont lose hope everyone!