2017-2018 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know it might not be possible to know, but do you think that's what helped you get in?
I was accepted last week. I sent an update letter in march and no LOI. So I think it varies but it never hurts especially this late in the cycle. Im IS BTW.

I was accepted last week. I sent an update letter in march and no LOI. So I think it varies but it never hurts especially this late in the cycle. Im IS BTW.
I was waitlisted last year and got rejected, and never sent any update letter or LOI. This year I interviewed again and got waitlisted again, and still haven't heard anything else since. So I guess a LOI doesn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted yesterday! Found out by email. OOS. Sent in a LOI and two grade updates. 3rd times the charm!

Reactions: 3 users
I hope this doesn't sound trivial and whiny, but just realized that the new calendar is going to have a 4 week "summer vacation" in mid-March-mid-April. Both after 1st year and after second year. So we will essentially never have the same vacation time as any friends/family, nor the summer months off for research programs only available in the summer. And the new calendar isn't even available to us yet D:

I hope this doesn't sound trivial and whiny, but just realized that the new calendar is going to have a 4 week "summer vacation" in mid-March-mid-April. Both after 1st year and after second year. So we will essentially never have the same vacation time as any friends/family, nor the summer months off for research programs only available in the summer. And the new calendar isn't even available to us yet D:
Yeah, it sounds like it will suck a bit, but assuming they made this change for the benefit of the student, at the end of the day Wayne State will produce even better doctors, and that's the most important thing. You're living your dreams, try to stay positive and remember you're on the journey to being the best you you can be :)

Reactions: 1 user

Look at the silver lining. We'll have around 3 months to study for step 1, and we'll have more time during our 4th year to do away-electives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You guys are both right! SO easy to become super negative and not realize it

Anybody hear of any waitlist movement or any new information?

Any guys still looking for a roomate? Prices range 500-650 per person, driving is fine. Please let me know, thanks.

@ people who were accepted off the wait list, how long did it take for your portal to change?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone accepted have a calendar I can take a look at (that shows orientation dates, school start dates etc.) and possibly an overview of years 1 & 2 as well.

I just got accepted and I’m out of the country so trying to make an informed decision and see if i’d be able to meet all the deadlines when I get back.

Anyone accepted have a calendar I can take a look at (that shows orientation dates, school start dates etc.) and possibly an overview of years 1 & 2 as well.

I just got accepted and I’m out of the country so trying to make an informed decision and see if i’d be able to meet all the deadlines when I get back.

Information about orientation dates and the transition to med school can be found at this link. The class schedule is not yet available. When it is, you'll find it under the curriculum resource tab.

Thanks for posting all of this information guys. This is my first ever SDN pst ever; I have been lurking on these threads for what seems forever. I am applying to WSU this cycle, it seems surreal. My target school ever since I stepped foot on my undergraduate campus.

Anyone else get that email yesterday? Does this mean there’s about to be a massive WL movement?

Never received anything. Can you elaborate on what it said?
Sure, i’ll copy and paste it

Wayne State University School of Medicine is currently reviewing its alternate list in preparation to make offers early next week. We are writing to ask if you have committed to or matriculated to any other program. Please let us know as soon as possible by reply to this email. We appreciate your continued interest in our medical school.

Thank you.

Dawn Yargeau
Supervisor
Office of Admissions
WSUSOM

Reactions: 4 users

Wayne State University School of Medicine is currently reviewing its alternate list in preparation to make offers early next week. We are writing to ask if you have committed to or matriculated to any other program. Please let us know as soon as possible by reply to this email. We appreciate your continued interest in our medical school.

Thank you.

Dawn Yargeau
Supervisor
Office of Admissions
WSUSOM

When did you receive that email? I’m on the waitlist too but I didn’t get it.

Did they perhaps only send it to people with other acceptances/WLs? They have access to that info I think?
I doubt it, I have another acceptance but I didn’t get it. They probably have a ranked waitlist and are asking some of the higher ranked waitlisters.

Thank you.

Dawn Yargeau
Supervisor
Office of Admissions
WSUSOM

I just got this email too.

So, I’m a bit confused. Is it that this school WLs most of its interviewees, ranks them, and then waits until Summer to begin accepting people in batches?

So, I’m a bit confused. Is it that this school WLs most of its interviewees, ranks them, and then waits until Summer to begin accepting people in batches?
I would say they Offer acceptances more at the beginning of the cycle which is expected of course. By the time you hit December interviews I would say they accept half interviewees and waitlist the other half, then by the time you get to January and February and March, they waitlist most and wait for May 1st to send out more acceptances to a ranked waitlist. I know that years ago they accepted more students than their class size allowed for and it caused chaos, so since then their goal is to not go over the limit. They even said once that they would much rather go 10 under class size than 2 over class size, so they pay attention to it. That’s why they send out so late to a ranked waitlist.

Withdrew. This is a fantastic school and hope one of you get my spot!

Reactions: 2 users
Where do most students who attend live? Downtown or a surrounding suburb?

Any female student still looking for a roommate. Please dm & let me know. Thank you

Any female student still looking for a roommate. Please dm & let me know. Thank you
I was looking but I am super concerned about this legionnaires disease outbreak on campus. What do you all think about it?

I was looking but I am super concerned about this legionnaires disease outbreak on campus. What do you all think about it?
I’m not planning on living on campus. If you’re looking for a roommate let me know, I have a place in mind that isn’t too expensive and walking distance from school.

It's pretty much been contained except for Towers Residential Suites. Legionnaires is normally building specific and centered around how you treat the large cooling units that have sat around for a while. The places in question (Scott Hall and Towers Suites) are powered by very large cooling towers that are harder to maintain than a small apartment complex or house. I wouldn't be too worried about this specifically, there is generally something weird that happens at Wayne every year that creates a media frenzy.

Reactions: 2 users
I also have a room available within 15 minutes walking distance from the school. Rent is $400 dollars. Either male/female is fine. Should be ok with a cat living in the apartment. Send me a message if you're interested. :)

I also have a room available within 15 minutes walking distance from the school. Rent is $400 dollars. Either male/female is fine. Should be ok with a cat living in the apartment. Send me a message if you're interested. :)
I’m going to live at home this year and then make decisions next year about living on campus. Thanks!

Hey everyone! First time post here.

I saw on IG today that classes begin on the 16th, so I would assume for us waitlisters that the cycle is over.
Does anyone know if we can get feedback on our application/interview?

Hey everyone! First time post here.

I saw on IG today that classes begin on the 16th, so I would assume for us waitlisters that the cycle is over.
Does anyone know if we can get feedback on our application/interview?
You can! Just call admissions and make a phone appointment.